Barrow Mounds: Under the Vulture's Shadow.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Mounds: Under the Vulture's Shadow.

#321 Post by Quonundrum »

Spearmint wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:29 am I will edit this, but to and check over what Mazzah agreed with Moriartus in return for casting a dispel magic upon Dougal.

If he takes all nine jars then you have no treasure which other characters have ventured for. So perhaps you offer him yours and Dougal's amphora and other folk get to roleplay selling or keeping theirs?

Discuss treasure in the expedition thread
Replying to this here. Actually, Moriartus recruited with the stipulation that any jars were reserved for Mazzah (I can link the posts, but they were a while back in the tavern thread, anyway).

I'm fine with offering Mazzah his choice of two though, those being Mori's and Dougal's.

Mazzah did not cast Dispel Magic. He gave Dougal a mushroom that boosted his Intelligence allowing another save against the harpy's charm.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#322 Post by Quonundrum »

Mercenary/group equipment cost below to be reimbursed to Moriartus from group treasure sales.
Quonundrum wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:19 pm Supplies and Logistics

Group Equipment - carried by the torchbearers
3 weeks standard rations
1 first aid kit
1 sledgehammer
1 pick
50' rope
5 wax candles
5 iron spikes
10' pole

Total mercenary/equipment cost
91gp, 19sp, 8cp

I highly advise each member to carry a first aid kit (25gp).
Moriartus is also returning the gem Dougal deposited to help with costs.
Karaunios wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:40 pm Dougal

"Fane. Mibbe just one af these gems maight help? I ordered them tae be cut by the jeweler." he hands it to the mage.

-1 cut hobgoblin gem, worth 20gp.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by Karaunios »

Ok. Thanks. What a memory!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by Spearmint »

A frisk reveals the body has a torc of finely designed hammered gold and a symbol of an ancient deity that Marcel looks at dubiously. "A devotee of Set."

Inside the casket remains are some uncorked vials. The mage can identify these as precious inks, much valued in the production of arcane scripts and scrolls.
Yes, well spotted I overlooked them in my reading. There are six vials of fine inks.
The amphora jars are waist high, slim bodied with long necks. They are used as votive storage vessels and contain inert perfumes, spices and oils. The jars are in good condition despite their age. Nine are found.
I'm fine with offering Mazzah his choice of two though, those being Mori's and Dougal's.
I feel this seems a fairer resolution than just giving Mazzah all of them.
There are four tablets of stone which may be unhooked from their hanging places on the wall. They look like some form of runic stone, the writing repeating it's prose in ancient elven, dwarven and common tongue.
yes you have two broken ones left, after Two-Birds & Moriartus read from the other pair.
Couple other treasure items? Bowl and brazier?

The bowl, made of burnished bronze is thick and heavy, detachable from the stand which itself is a model of detailed craft work. The two jars contain fragrant leaf grains.
sure, the brazier could be hauled along on the travois with the jackals.
The two jars are common items, the leaf used up but they can add some loose change value to the trove.

Also
There are various common items, porcelain figures of people in work poses such as a thresher of wheat at work or a maid carrying a water jug.
Treasure Trove

Three brass jackal statues with ruby eyes.
Nine amphora jars
Two broken Runic tablets.
One carved hardwood lectern in the shape of an owl with outstretched wings.
A torc of finely hammered gold
Firepit brazier and crafted stand.
Pair of ornamental jars, crate of porcelain figures.

Just some housekeeping on the expedition summary. Two-Birds, Rickford and Duval return to the Mercenary guild and Marcel, with his player absent will retire to ministry in the village. Each of these are entitle to a half share of any treasure value. The four remaining character players receive a full share.

I am fine with 'hand waving' you selling items as a 'job lot' with a take it or leave it offer from the town merchants or you can roleplay selling stuff.

If you include Mazzah and give him an amphora and those of Moriartus & Dougal, you can consider that debt repaid in full. This leaves six jars to sell

The runic tablets can be read by anyone and need some further study. The lectern is worth 100gp, it makes a nice personal item for a scholar or spellcaster to study from.

Amphora jars: job lot sale x 6 jars [2d20+30]=21+30=51 +306gp
Ornamental jars x 2 & porcelain figures: job lot sale: [5d20]=34 +34gp
Firepit brazier & crafted stand, sold to Bollo +40gpBrass Jackal with ruby diamond eyes x 3 [5d20+200]=42+200=242. +726gp

Total merchant offer: = 1106gp:
-92gp expedition supplies & mercenary cost,
-12gp covers 'deluxe twin room inclusive' accommodation at the Brazen Strumpet, for the four characters for the next five days.

Leaving 1002gp / 4 full & 4 half shares = +167gp to each character.

This just leaves the tablets for further study.
How does this resolution sound?

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by Quonundrum »

Sounds good to me, thank you for working up the details! I guess Moriartus can keep the vials of ink?

The tablets may require a trip to Ironguard and the Bibliotheca. Barrett could read the plaque, so they must have some language references.

Thinking about the plaque and the pyramid. Something else is to the east of that mound, but not necessarily at ground level.
Last edited by Quonundrum on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by Quonundrum »

Oh, that also leaves the torc and lectern to sell.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by Spearmint »

Perhaps you would divide like this.

Moriartus takes lectern
Dougal, Fydmar, Cadeweed take a runic tablet or the torc. A bit of risk and reward. You know Two-Birds suffered a mental crisis with a Feeblemind spell and you received a Bless effect from the one your read.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#328 Post by Quonundrum »

That's agreeable to me. Mori would be willing to try and Identify a tablet at cost (100gp pearl). Or ... there's always the roll of the dice!

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#329 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Sounds good to me. 167gp added
I'd like the torq. But if others do also, we can dice for it.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by gurusql »

Not understanding, how this is being divided. I get we agreed to the up front costs and the predetermined items

I guess we could have Moriartus get the ink as a bonus for leading, but why not include the lectern, tablet and torc in the to sell items not sure why the lectern would be going to Moriartus also.

Cadeweed does not want to be taking a potentially cursed item.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#331 Post by Quonundrum »

Sure, we could sell the lectern and torc. I'm not sure there is a market for the tablets, though.

Mazzah may be interested?

You're right, they are potentially good or (very) bad. Anyone fancy an interest in one?

Oh, Mori should get a refund of his mercenary deposit which he will share with Dougal, Fydmar, and Cadeweed.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by Spearmint »

Runic tablets

Your experience is that such items were crafted as a way to ward or curse would-be tomb robbers. The tablets radiate magical auras, that are detected along the lines of the schools of wizardry; so enchantments, alterations, evocations, abjurations, necromantic. Though no specific knowledge is given about what the tablet contains until the article is read.

They appear to be a single use item, the magic fading and the tablet crumbling to dust much the same as when casting a spell directly from a scroll.

These tablets are written in common languages rather than mage script so that allows any player who speaks common, elven or dwarf to read it. In doing so, you reap the benefit or woe the words create. (This is randomly assigned via a dice roll, so even I do not know).

That way it kind of creates the risk/reward to a character as when using a Wand of Wonder or a Deck of Many Things.

I am fine as a DM just liquidating all your treasure into gold though it is nice for players to collect a few memorabilia of their adventures. Entirely down to you to discuss. I suggested the above division to save players taking a jar each to the shops looking for the best price.

If you want to sell the lecture and torc you can do so in the village threads.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Quonundrum »

To recap, we sold most of the treasure as lot sales and minus expenses we each get: +167gp.

The refunded mercenary deposit is 40gp, so that's an additional +10gp each.

(Moriartus reimbursed the remaining 52gp for group equipment and rations. The latter I assume we left behind to save on encumbrance.)

That leaves:
One carved hardwood lectern in the shape of an owl with outstretched wings.
A torc of finely hammered gold.
2 x broken runic tablets.

Any interest in a specific item instead of coin from sale?

We likely cannot easily sell the tablets though, and they do come with a risk. Moriartus would be willing to take one in lieu of coin from the lectern/torc.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#334 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed does not want to keep any of the items ;)

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#335 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Selling all & splitting gold is fine with me.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#336 Post by Quonundrum »

Sounds like there is no interest in the tablets? Moriartus can certainly take both (curiosity and the cat), while Dougal, Cadeweed, and Fydmar split the sale of lectern and torc?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#337 Post by Spearmint »

the lectern was previously appraised at 100gp and there is interest in acquiring it from those at the church. The torc, an unusual piece, wide with fine detail is appraised in Helix at 78gp though you could fetch more exporting it to Ironguard.

Total 178gp split three ways, with a bit of negotiations you can squeeze an extra couple of gold and obtain +60gp each and Moriartus gets the two broken runic tablets?

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus is willing to buy the lectern from the group at a price of 102gp and donate it to the church, instead.

So, same split of +60gp.

The donation may be politically motivated. :D

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by gurusql »

Works for Cadeweed

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#340 Post by gurusql »

So for all the PC's not named Moriartus.

167+10+60 = 237 GP total (Nice haul.)

Added to Cadeweed's sheet

Cadeweed would be happy to take another stab at the Moor with anyone of you.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”