Quest #38 "Betwixt Water And Stone"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Quest #38 "Betwixt Water And Stone"

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

It helps me greatly if the thread title has something to do with the actual mission, so we can find it easier if we need to search it again later. So I went with this one for now...

Motivation
Starday, 27th of Goodmonth
Early Morning, Overcast, Warm, Buggy

The heavily armored Luther seems a bit off recently, ever since he took his pick from the box of magical plaques. His comrades support his decision to lead them north into the unexplored regions of this portion of jungle all the same. The big hairy bear of a man grunts his approval at the fair showing of faces, happy to see a few more strong sword arms in the mix as well.

Amun, the loner barbarian woman from the northern regions of the mainland pledges her loyalty to her new group, as does the Viking warrior Keg, despite his slightly less than chipper outlook on most things. The human priest of Phyton known as Wake arrives after his morning rituals of prayer and meditation, glad to see more souls along than initially mentioned. Racing up to the group lastly is the tall gnome who calls himself The Knife, a strange and mysterious fellow who seems to find odd situations everywhere he goes. He is carrying on a conversation with himself as he approaches the others, but Keg and Amun have heard it all before and pay the ramblings little heed. With his personal items recently retrieved from Beachtown, the spunky gnome seems eager to get the explorations underway. (he just isn't sure which way)

Actions?

Any last minute additions or preparations? If not.....lets party! :D

Luther (R4) AC:3 30/30
Keg (F3) AC:1 23/23
The Knife (T2) AC:4* 8/8
Amun (F1) AC:2 13/13
Wake (C1) AC:3 10/10 3/3 first

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #38 "Betwixt Water And Stone"

#2 Post by gurusql »

Wake

Updated spell list

"Let's go!"

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by sastaz »

Amun

"She is ready. Gnome, if you turn into gas I will catch you in sack."
Last edited by sastaz on Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Bluehorse »

Keg

Keg joined the rest of the party and looked between them. We explored some distance from here north along the cliffs. There is a former ogre camp North of here. We took care of them, and about another half days walk or so north from there were what looked like giant termite mounds. Also at night at the ogre camp there were giant bugs on the cliffs... might have been them. So we need to be ready for that.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Jernau35 »

The Knife

"Thank you Amun!" says The Knife as he arrives. "Rest assured, we shall do the same for you. We've definitely got a sack here somewhere..." He starts to rummage through his gear. "Definitely somewhere... somewhere...Well, I'm sure we'll find it if we need it, that's what important, isn't it?"

After he puts all his gear back in order, The Knife gulps and shuffles his feet but eventually finds the courage to speak to Luther.

"Er...Mr Luther sir? We don't mean to tell you your business... but...it's just that..." The Knife gestures over to the long green wall of dense jungle that starts at the rear of the beach. "It's just that we've been in there before and Shhhh! I'm getting to it! Yes I am, I'm just building up to it and it's pretty heavy going. Are you sure that the best thing to do is for everyone to cut their own trail? I mean, won't we all get tired and worn out doing that?"
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Urson »

Luther
Luther looks around, taking in the terrain. He has a slightly sour look on his face.

You're right, Knife. I suppose I had forgotten how dense the jungle can get. Side-by-side only works in loose trees and open land.
Keg- Since you've been here before, do you want to take point? If not, I will.
He looks around. The basic instructions are still the same: Stay close enough to protect your teammates, but far enough away that you won't get caught in the same trap.

IF Keg wants to take point, Luther will be second. If not, Luther will be point. Either way, he keeps his bow in hand, ready to use.
FA FO

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Keg would remember that there is a narrow gap between the cliffs and the jungle that was a bit easier to traverse.

Is the idea to get to where his exploration left off last trip?

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by gurusql »

Just speaking for myself the goal should be to map all of the hexes between the river and cliff

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by sastaz »

Since Amun is a newcomer she will just go along wherever the others choose to go.

Amun takes place in the rear of the procession.

"What are they looking for?"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Jernau35 »

The Knife

"If we follow our previous route, with luck we'll come across the ogre shelter again. That'll give us some shelter at night. From the small bugs at least. Not from the big ones." The Knife grimaces at the thought. "But we made it through the night without harm last time".

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bug Hunt

Luther is happy to have Keg and TK along, two members of the group who have explored some of this area before. The group discusses a few final things before they head north into the jungle.

One thing they notice right away is how much more life there is in the jungle around here. Birds and monkeys chirp and screech from the tree tops, while there are sightings and evidence of plenty of other inhabitants as well. Keg leads the way towards the cliffs, knowing there is a open path at the base of the cliffs where vegetation doesn't grow as well. This narrow pathway can be used as a trail to get further inside the foliage. Though the insects are still pretty horrible, normally biting and stinging like crazy, at least the canopy of trees and shrubs overhead keeps the scorching sun off their heads.

About an hour into their jungle trek, the adventurers begin to hear a strange chomping noise coming from up ahead., as if a large creature was munching away on something.

Actions?
44739A3E-04AB-4371-B11B-1BDE66069D7E.jpeg
44739A3E-04AB-4371-B11B-1BDE66069D7E.jpeg (12.53 KiB) Viewed 809 times

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by gurusql »

Wake

Wake moves up to fourth position at the request of Amun. "Thank you Amun, I was wondering if that order might be better as well." Since the group in front of him in chopping away at the jungle he is carrying his mace.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Bluehorse »

Keg

Yeah, I will take point. We followed the gap between the cliffs and the trees last time. We could follow the river this time and blaze a trail I suppose... But when we get to those bug nests... I would like to already be prepared with a plan. Any thoughts?

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by gurusql »

Wake

"Many of us (myself included) are not the most quiet do we want to have a Scout group or just move up on the sound quickly?" Wake whispers from the back

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Urson »

Luther
When Keg mentions 'Bug Nests', Luther holds up a hand. What kind of bug nests are we talking about here?

At the chomping sound, Luther pauses. Is it a fibrous chomping- like you'd hear from a large herbivore eating leaves and branches? Or is it a more wet sound?
FA FO

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by sastaz »

Amun

"Amun fight and kill bugs before. They breed fast, get back, get revenge. Best leave alone or root out whole tribe."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Bluehorse »

Urson wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:55 pm Luther
When Keg mentions 'Bug Nests', Luther holds up a hand. What kind of bug nests are we talking about here?
Big enough we turned around before finding out. Looked like big termite nests

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Jernau35 »

The Knife

"Oh yes! I'd forgotten all about those", exclaims The Knife. "I was thinking of the ones that live in the cliff above the ogre camp."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bluehorse wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:50 am Keg
Yeah, I will take point. We followed the gap between the cliffs and the trees last time. We could follow the river this time and blaze a trail I suppose... But when we get to those bug nests... I would like to already be prepared with a plan. Any thoughts?
So, are we taking the cliff base path or following the river now?

Bug Hunt

After the marching order is altered slightly, Keg gets the group to stop once they hear the munching noise up ahead. Luther tries to get everyone to stop talking long enough to hear the sound better, but by the time the conversation is over, the distant noise can no longer be heard.

Actions?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

And if anyone is interested in reading what happened the last time two of you were out here before, that mission can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=477&t=9913

Return to “Completed Missions”