Quest #37 "Black Metal Examination"

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #37 "Black Metal Examination"

#261 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

I got you. We are out of here.

They make for the trail head and move off like a fart in the wind, I mean two Elves in the Forest.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes shepherds the freed slaves towards the trail. "We need to stay ahead of those things. At least until we're out of sight."

"But we'll have to take care further down. There's bound to be patrols that don't know what's happened here."
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Normally Chauncey would refuse to engage in crass manual undertakings, however, under the very persuasive circumstances of being pursued by animate boulders, he makes an exception. Unsheathing his bear pommeled dagger, a miniature replica of the sword Luther bears...
(get it? :D )
...he helps free the slaves and then high tails it out of the building and subsequently out of the camp.

"I suspect they will not follow us too far from the mine, which I presume to be their home, but if they do, we must take care not to lead them back to the settlement. I trust they would make short work of it," he says as he hustles towards the loggers' trail.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#264 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Thunder Revealed
Sunday, 28th of Goodmonth
Early Morning, Warm, Humid, Very Buggy

Once the 8 prisoners are freed, the group makes their way towards the trail head, dragging the weakened commoners along with them. Not far behind, the rock monsters slowly continue following after them.

Just as they are about to head up the wide trail together, a distant horn rings out that sounds like it might be getting closer. The rock creatures follow along, but their slow, methodical movements are easy to stay ahead of.

Actions?

positions:
Chauncey (MU4) AC:8 12/26 CL, RM, DM 1st:0/3 2nd:0/2
Waesfaren Rhey (DR5) AC:7 33/43 1st:4/6 2nd:3/5 3rd:3/3
Greedy Grimm (F2/T3) AC:5 15/15 (Invisible)
Darklin Sylvanas (F2/MU2) AC:4 15/15 CL, RM, DM 1st:1/2
Elnaerel (CL2) AC:3 2/18 1st:0/4

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#265 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

Elnaerel, do you think you can walk on your own for a short time? I am thinking the Stoneguts are going to come down this trail any minute. If I can lead these Rock People into them we can kill two birds with one Stone. I will take you to the side of the jungle and you climb a tree. Hopefully their will follow me, and I can lead them to the Dwarves. Everyone off the Road, Dwarves Coming!

He will take her into the jungle a short ways and lean her against a tree that she can climb. Then he runs back out onto the trail and waves his arms until the Rock Men start following again. Or fires an arrow at them if needed to get a response. Trying to get them to follow. He then moves at full movement to get ahead a short distance. Leading them down the trail until he hears the Dwarves closing and jumps into the jungle and climbs a tree to hide.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes directs everybody to follow the trail made by Darklin and Elnaerel. "Go this way! I'll cover the trail with The Shalm's magic to hide it from the creatures and the Stoneguts."

When everyone (who wishes) has stepped into the undergrowth, Wes forms a 20' thick x 100' wide barrier of Plant Growth to cover the trail and impede any pursuit.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

Once they're on the trail and it's more apparent that the Stoneguts are coming, Grimm will heed Darklin's and Wes' words and hide in the jungle.

Elnaerel

"Thank you, Darklin. Yes, I can go on my own. I don't think I can climb a tree though. I'm too weak. If I fall, I can surely die. I better join with the druid and hide in the underbrush." She does so.

Did she get the sack with some of her and Narramore's objects?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Caught between a rock and a Stonegut, Chauncey aquiesces and follows the others into the jungle to hide.

"A fine plan, but please don't behave aggressively towards them, Darklin. I should like the opportunity to study them later if at all possible, and should not like them to view us as enemies. I find them quite fascinating," he says.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#269 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Thunder Revealed

Not far outside the dwarven mining camp, The group +8 moves into the jungle off the side of the trail. Darklin is about to shoot an arrow at the approaching rock monsters, but Chauncey advises against it. Elnaerel looks into the sack containing her and Narramore's smaller belongings, finding her holy symbol and what's left of her gear.

Once concealed by Wes's vegetation spell, it sounds like the two factions are about to meet up with each other, not far from where the group is hiding. One of the 8 rescued slaves asks quietly. "What about all the others? We aren't going to leave them behind, are we?"

Actions?

positions:
Waesfaren Rhey (DR5) AC:7 33/43 1st:4/6 2nd:3/5 3rd:2/3
Elnaerel (CL2) AC:3 2/18 1st:0/4

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

"There are more slaves back there?" Wes asks quietly. "How many? Do you know where they're being held?" He looks at the others. "I can get back there quickly through the trees to avoid being seen. If anyone wants to come with me, you could follow my trail."

"Elnaerel, maybe you could stay here to watch over our new friends?"

Wes prepares to head back to through the undergrowth to the camp. He keeps a distance from the trail to avoid being overheard.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

The dwarf ducks among the bushes. "Oh! I can come with you, yeah!"

Elnaerel

"Given my current state, I think it's the best idea. But there's not much I can do if they discover us." The elf cleric has no armor and is bleeding from many wounds.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by ChubbyPixie »

“Stay here and guard the townspeople, if you please, Mr. Wrenly,” says Chauncey ”If you will kindly keep an eye on the trail and keep me abreast of developments, such as the action and movements of the boulder people, I should be much obliged, sir. I do not wish to be pulverized.”

He’ll follow Wes and the others when they head back to the camp. “Whatever happens, I beg you, do not raise your hand to a rock person should we encounter one. Based on what we’ve seen, I do not think we could possibly prevail. Our only chance if confronted, I believe, is to convince them we are not the enemy.”

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#273 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

Making sure all the slaves are hidden away he continues down the load staying just out of reach of the Rock men. As soon as he can hear the foot falls or see the Dwarves he jumps into the heavy jungle and runs about 20 feet in and stops. Climbing a tree quietly and waiting.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Before he disappears into the jungle, Wes heals Elnaerel.

Cure Light Wounds [1d8]=8

"Your attempt to save the lizards from the cruelty of the Stoneguts had obviously drawn the favor of The Shalm", he says with a smile.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#275 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Just Desserts?

Wes prays over Elnaerel and by the graces of the Shalm, heals the worst of her wounds as the freed slaves tell the group of others still in the camp.

"There are a few more of us! Down in the mine! Did you save them already?"

By this point, the rock monsters and the dwarven patrol have met each other upon the nearby trail in a cacophony of screaming pain and death. A great ruckus can be heard from that direction, and by the sounds of it, the dwarves are getting the worst of the beating.

Actions?

I wasn't sure if you still wanted to head back after hearing this information or not, so I didn't press that too far yet.

positions:
Waesfaren Rhey (DR5) AC:7 33/43 1st:4/6 2nd:2/5 3rd:2/3
Elnaerel (CL2) AC:3 10/18 1st:0/4

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#276 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

Makes his way quietly down out the tree. And heads back towards where he left Elnaerel. Moving quietly as and Elf slow and steady back to her and the others.

Whispering: Is everyone able to move slowly through the jungle? If we move past the Dwarves and further down the trail we should be able to get back on the trail further down and get away.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes rubs his temples when he hears about the slaves down in the mine. "That's...something we didn't know", he tells the ex-slaves. "We didn't intend to go down the mine when we came here. There were only four of us. We just came to look around, see what we could learn for a future rescue mission, with more people."

Wes looks from the ex-slaves to the other adventurers. "Now, well, what do you all think? The rock creatures have probably slaughtered all the Stoneguts down there. Do you think they spared those who didn't attack them? It's one thing to ignore folks in rags, but if they see an armed bunch like us...well..."

"Of course they don't have to be evil, they're probably just defending their homes, but they're angry right now. And this might seem silly but...how do you extend your hand in peace to a creature with no arms? Very likely it won't understand you".

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#278 Post by OGRE MAGE »

That sounds like the perfect question for the Master of Stone and Oerth. :D

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"It is rather distressing, but it seems to me that if the boulder people were inclined to be hostile to any innocent slaves still in the mine, that said slaves are likely now mere masses of bloody pulp," says Chauncey. "I have not yet seen any indication that the boulder people can be reasoned with," he continues, "but let us perhaps observe them when they return to the mine from this most recent slaughter on the road. If they show signs of being reasonable, I should be willing to attempt to communicate with them, so great is my fascination."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm

"What are you talking about? Going back and talk to those rocks? Those that just slaughtered a whole dwarven camp and, sorry to say this but, probably their slaves too?

I have to remind you, people, we have a very important object, the likes of which your eyes have never seen, and we should go back to town as soon as possible and place it in a secure place for the benefit of everyone, including these poor people who had to suffer at the hands of the Stoneguts."
He doesn't sound much convinced as speaks about said object.

Elnaerel

"I actually would like to go back to the camp and see if there's any prisoners. Maybe some slaves could run away and hide somewhere in the mine... Although I'm not very optimistic about it.

But... How are we going to bypass the rocks?"
The elven cleric sighs, obviously tired. "I almost died at the hands of the dwarves and... and Sir William Narramore died in the jungle fighting at my side... He's still lying there. But it's too dangerous now." She sounds very much affected when talking about the paladin's fate.

"I think we should go back to town, rest, get healed, and organize another expedition back here."

Return to “Completed Missions”