Nocturne

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Nocturne

#41 Post by dmw71 »

Sorry, another question (for Revenant or any of the current players):

Could a prospective player survive with only what's posted/shared here on in the forums, or is information on the Obsidian Portal website crucial?

Edit:
The question still stands, but upon further consideration, I really don't think I am in a position to join. The temptation is there, but I've never played Pathfinder before (though, I did try to run it once) and I fear it will be too much as I currently have my hands full with the two characters I'm presently playing, plus the behind-the-scenes "stuff" I'm working on for another game I hope to run in the future.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by Revenant »

In answer to your question, only the game info posted here is essential. The Obsidian Portal website is more of a DM tool, that players are free to access (at least the parts that are not for the DM's eyes only). Consider it a supplement if you are interested in knowing more about the game world or Pathfinder in general, but it is certainly not required in any way.

As for knowledge of the Pathfinder rules, that isn't required either. Two of my players had little to no knowledge about the rules before the game began and that really didn't handicap them in any way that I could tell. Roleplaying your character trumps rules knowledge in my book.

If you change your mind, you are quite welcome to join us, at any time.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#43 Post by dmw71 »

Revenant wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:53 pm In answer to your question, only the game info posted here is essential. The Obsidian Portal website is more of a DM tool, that players are free to access (at least the parts that are not for the DM's eyes only).
This is good to know.
Revenant wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:53 pmRoleplaying your character trumps rules knowledge in my book.
This!

I totally agree that knowing the mechanics behind if or how something can be done can actually be a detriment when playing a character. If you want to attempt something, try it. Don't just scan a list of skills, not see something, and decide your plan can't even be attempted.
(This might be a "problem" in Pathfinder, which, I believe, has a more extensive list of skills?)
But, make the effort, then let the rules guide whether or not you're successful in your attempt, and by how much or little.
Revenant wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:53 pmIf you change your mind, you are quite welcome to join us, at any time.
I'm actually kind of changing my mind already, based on the above.

I'll think on it. I'm just really not sure I want to involve myself in anything new that is expecting to be long-term.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by Revenant »

Just a quick note to let everyone know we have recently switched our ruleset to AD&D 2nd edition at the request of a couple of players. We are now again recruiting and are accepting new characters or you are welcome to adopt one of the open PC's: a male human paladin, a female elven mage, or a female human fighter.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rex »

I am interested in joining. Do you have sheets for the 3 characters? Without seeing sheets I lean towards the female human fighter, but could make a new character if that is an option. I am very familiar with 2e so can make a character pretty quickly. I did look over your character generation rules on the Obsidian Portal, but am not sure what is a hold over from Pathfinder as I am not familiar with that rule set.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by Revenant »

Hey Rex, I look forward to gaming with you! As to the character sheets, I've only just converted the current player's characters so the adoptable PC's are still in the Pathfinder format. However, if you go to the Hall of Heroes section under my game you'll see the details on the three including their pics. The three available are Sir Athan, the paladin, Zaella the mage and Reggie 2-Fists, the fighter. There are character sheets attached to each of them but they are the Pathfinder Hero Lab character sheets. Reggie, is the human fighter but in Pathfinder terms she was a barbarian with a pirate background who liked to pummel her foes. She's kind of a shady character so the fit with the other PCs wasn't the best and I was debating whether to keep her in the party at all. I'll list her background below and you can see if that interests you.

I do have an NPC available too, but again she hasn't been converted just yet. She is Bryne Valshire a first level ranger. Her background is that she is the youngest daughter of one of the noble houses and joined the party investigating the murder of the son of her house's reeve. I've never posted her stats so you'd be able to make changes easily to her.

Or you could do an entirely new character if you like. The PC creation rules are converted to 2E. I used an obscure method in one of the player's option books. So you have 75 points to buy whatever stats you'd like.

Here's Reggie's detailed background:
Growing up on the streets of Canguine isn’t easy; it’s even harder when you have a short fuse and a bad temper. Reggie grew up like this, always in trouble, always in a fight.

Reggie’s mother died when she was only 6 years old, and her father was a dock worker, and a drunk. You could say Reggie was raised by sailors at the rough and tumble docks of Canguine, feisty girl who learned how to survive from pirates and smugglers.

Things changed what Reggie was about 12 years old. Her father owed money to some local drug dealers and it was time to pay the Piper (literally, that was the street name of the drug lord). In his drunken stupor, he gave Reggie up as payment and she was taken and forced into prostitution at the "Velvet Hatch".

This didn’t last long; Reggie was a bit too rough and rather rude to the customers. Her talents were better suited to something a bit more violent. She ended up as bareknuckle street fighter, still working for the Piper. It was here she earned the nick name of two-fist; her signature combo moves.

The Piper ran a pleasure bardge that would head out off the coast of various settlements, away from unnecessary scrutiny. There he would run prostitution, slave trade, gambling; as well as a safe haven for meetings that one may not want to have overheard. Also, on board, the Piper ran a “Fight Club”. This is where Reggie honed her fighting skills as well as making friends and enemies in various ports and underworld factions.

This kept her out of trouble for a bit until one night, the Piper was entertaining some out of Towner’s. Pirate Lords from across the sea. Reggie was to fight one of their fighters. To make the deal go down, she was to throw the fight. But that didn’t happen. Reggie put her opponent down in the second round after she lost her temper and practically ripped the guy’s throat out.

The Piper became pissed, and now it was Reggie’s turn to “Pay the Piper”. Reggie was abducted, beaten unconscious. She awoke at sea, aboard a pirate ship.
Reggie wasn’t exactly happy with the arrangement, but she made the best of it; until she was captured.
and ended up in prison in Belay; Charged with Piracy.

She spent close to two years in the prison and making a name for herself in the prison’s “fight club” (never talk about fight club). She befriended a foreigner that taught her new fighting techniques, and she became a favorite among the guards. Her signature move reinforced her nickname as “Two-Fists”

Things changed for the worst when she lost her temper yet again when a guard’s attempted to “show his enthusiasm” a little too forcibly. Reggie killed the guard and was sentenced to be hung for murder.
She escaped the hangman’s noose by feigning pregnancy and got a stay of execution until she gave birth. This bought her some time to plan an escape.

Escape plans never came to fruition. It would seem that some parts of the prison system can be just as corrupt as the criminal organizations that it housed. Reggie’s freedom was purchased and she found herself flung back onto the deck of a pirate ship.

Reggie has been here ever since, never knowing who was responsible for, or why, her freedom was purchased. She is looking for a way out of this situation, maybe going to sea on a legitimate ship for a change.

She still has a few dock and pirate connections but they are becoming more and more scarce.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Rex »

Actually Bryne looks to fit my style of play better than Reggie and since she is a better fit I would be willing to take her. I like running Rangers but rarely get the rolls to qualify so a point buy works fine by me. Do you want me to try my hand at writing her up or would you prefer too?

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#48 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I can't believe I missed this last year. Are you still looking for players?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by Revenant »

Hello GreyWolf! Yes, we're still looking for players. There are several adoptable NPCs or if you'd like to create a new character that's fine too. What are you interested in playing?

GreyWolfVT

#50 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Revenant wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:41 pm Hello GreyWolf! Yes, we're still looking for players. There are several adoptable NPCs or if you'd like to create a new character that's fine too. What are you interested in playing?
I'm a great fan of playing Dwarves, Gnomes or Half-Orcs. I'm not huge into playing arcane types but anything else is good by me.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#51 Post by Revenant »

Any of those races are acceptable. Just as a background, dwarves are a dying culture, once a great force of nine clan citadels, all but one lie in ruins, claimed by darker forces. The last, called Hammerfall, is home to most of the dwarven population, though some remnants of the other citadels wander both the northern and southern realms. But the vast majority of adventuring dwarves are from Hammerfall.

Gnomes, the least populous of the races once roamed the great forests and mountains at their whim, as was their nature. Gnomes are gnomads with no real central homeland, often thought of as frivolous and enigmatic, many use that as a guise for their true natures...seekers of knowledge and students of the workings of all things...

Half-Orcs for the most part are scorned by much of the so-called civilized lands. Born and borne by pain, a part of neither of their heritages, they are seeking their fortunes however they can, frequently alone or sometimes accepted but rarely welcomed. They are found throughout the northlands and southlands.

Right now the party consists of a crusader-cleric, magus, swashbuckler and ranger. So if you go martial or a rogue variation that would be a good fit.

GreyWolfVT

#52 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I have no problems running with a thief/rogue and of those 3 races I am less likely to go with Half-orc having the knowledge you just provided. I am more apt to run dwarf or gnome. I'm cool with a fighter/thief mix even pulled it off a few times before.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by Revenant »

That sounds good to me. So feel free to choose whatever interests you as to race and class. I can always supplement the party's needs with an NPC if needed.

GreyWolfVT

#54 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Revenant wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:54 pm That sounds good to me. So feel free to choose whatever interests you as to race and class. I can always supplement the party's needs with an NPC if needed.
Fighter/Thief dwarf it is then.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Rex »

Excellent. Glad to have you GreyWolfVT.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by The Bindoner »

Welcome to the team GreyWolfVT..

Fighter/Thief is a good addition. We need a rogue, and another blade is always useful.

GreyWolfVT

#57 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm also looking to take this kit from your obsidian portal page if that is alright

Hammerfall Defender

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by Revenant »

A dwarven fighter/thief with the Hammerfall Defender kit is a perfect fit for the group.

GreyWolfVT

#59 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Nice. I started on the character sheet using the info you have on obsidian portal.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#60 Post by Revenant »

GreyWolfVT, I just added you to the group. Sorry, I forgot to do that earlier.

Return to “Looking for players or games”