Ch. 1: Trying to get inside the Tomb

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

Ch. 1: Trying to get inside the Tomb

#1 Post by Bhart »

No more waiting lets get party 2 started!

Each of you has received a summons from Ecrub'll Edro the vizier of the Overking Ivid IV. A mission of great importance is being given to you. The royal family has fallen under a curse! In a deep slumber they are aging rapidly as if their life essence were being drained from them.

The divinations of the high priests and sages have revealed that the curse originated with a relic recently acquired by the king. A perfect black sphere of crystal that was created long ago by one of the most powerful mages in history. This mage, Acererak has been long dead and the divinations say that the only way to break the curse is to use the wizard's skull to shatter the crystal ball. Unfortunately it rests in the deepest recesses of his tomb, a tomb that is renowned as an impenetrable labyrinth of death traps and unspeakable horrors. Some legends and myths say that Acererak never really died, but lingers on as a lich, waiting somewhere in the tomb for foolish mortals to enter so that he can devour their souls!

The eight of you were quickest to respond to the call. A reward is offered to each of you. For some it is riches, for others it's a royal pardon for past crimes. As long as the skull is brought back to the Vizier you will receive what is due to you.

It is uncertain how long it will be before the royals will succumb, though divination spells predict it will be soon, so the party must move fast.

The Vizier notes that leaving tomorrow is deemed an unlucky day, so you can take that day to prepare how you see fit, but you must leave for the tomb on the morning of the second day.

The Tomb is on a hill in the Vast Swamp. It will take several days of travel by horse to cross the lands of Sunndi, and then a half day barge ride across the Vast Swamp to the hill. Nearby the tomb a shelter will be set up by the time the party arrives. Reinforcements, if and when they can be found, will be sent to that bivouac to rendezvous with the party if they should need reinforcements, or to enter if the party should fail in its mission.

You have one day to put your affairs in order. Good luck.

Let's take the next couple of days to discuss any final preparations you want to make. We will officially be starting on Wednesday. Hopefully the last 2 active players Striling and Scary Wizard will get caught up before you enter the tomb.

Historical Note: The original adventure did not have this introduction. It assumed you were exploring the tomb out of greed or curiosity. We have included it to help explain the support camp outside the tomb and give the mission a bit more urgency.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Inside the Tomb (game thread)

#2 Post by Bhart »

Maybe we'll start on Friday. I ran out of time tonight and it was a long day :oops:

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Stirling »

one day to put your affairs in order....

"och aye"....Stirling remorses to himself, a little outside the camp. He digs a small hole with a spade and plants some heathers from his highlands...a small reminder of a lost home many moons ago. "when I return with all the treasure and pardon I need, I'll dig yer roots and graft yer agen' in the mulls of home from whence we sprouted!".. with that solemn promise he'll finish his bottle of 'not-so-finest' malt, smash the bottle on the floor and head in to camp to met up.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Bhart »

After many leagues on horseback and half a day on a swamp barge, you finally arrive at the reported site of the lich's last haunt or dead wizard's resting place (depending on which legend you believe).

Before you is a low, flat topped hill, about 200 yards wide and 300 yards long. Only ugly weeds, thorns, and briars grow on the steep sides and top of the 60 foot high mound. There are black rocks piled on the top of the hill, that make it resemble a human skull. The grinning death's head looks down on the camp site to south of the hill. Half a dozen men are already here. A fire of peat moss is burning surrounded by several tents and crates of supplies. The men go about their work, giving the occasional nervous glance at the hill.

As you are unloading your gear from the barge one of the men approaches. "Greetings my lords. I hope your journey went well. As his majesty's right hand has commanded, we've set up camp and prepared for your arrival. You're the first to arrive, but I expect more will be along soon. Ouch!... " He pauses and swats at his neck. You notice for the first time that mosquitos and green headed flies are thick in the air. They buzz about you, stinging and biting exposed flesh. "Damned little blighters. Come closer to the fire the smoke seems to repel them, mostly." he says as he leads you toward the camp.

"My name is Elden. Those four are Bylo, Jamil, Ruben, and Neb." He says gesturing toward the nervous looking men. The fifth man looks calm and relaxed. He sits back, leaning against a crate with his feet up on a sack of apples. By his dress you would guess he's a local man. "That's Rourke, he's our guide." Elden says as he nods toward the man.

Rourke takes a bite from an apple before tipping his weatherbeaten hat to you. "So dis here be de heroes ya'll been waitin on? I'll tell you what son, I sure hope you got more comin', he he he, you's gonna need 'em." The bearded old man says through a mouthful of chewed apple.

Mondego
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Mondego »

“Well met,” Quinns replies as he disembarks the barge.

OOC: After helping the others unload the gear Quinn will spend some time talking with the men. To break the ice he will play some music with his magical lute hoping song will help to loosen their tongues. His goal is to learn about the area and discover any rumors.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by AQuebman »

Bindle leans heavily upon his staff as he stumbles slowly into camp. Bindle's little help unpacking and blames his old age for why he can't. He stumbles down awkwardly next to the fire and pulls out his biggest jug of booze. He takes a large drink and then turns to the other men at the camp.

Care fir uh drink gents? he says slurring his words and smoothly swaying back and forth much like a snake

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

Skiiratch, being ever so bold and rash, ignores the hellos muttered by the two camp men, Elden and Rourke, and walks straight to the base of the flat-topped mound. There, he stands for many long minutes, absentmindedly scratching the side of the sleek black cat perched on his shoulder as his mind at last takes in the sight of the tomb mound.

Ruffian crouches low with perfect balance and spits a hiss out at the mound. Slowly, Skiiratch nods his head as if in understanding, "I agree, magestic one. I like this no more than you. But how else am I supposed to get my lucky sword back from that damned Jago? He demands proof of exploration of the dead wizard's tomb..."

He makes a noise that sounds a bit like a cat hissing, as well, as he turns and awaits the arrival of the rest of the party.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by tkrexx »

Urdak eyes the men waiting, harumphing, then stares at the mound as if trying to will it into revealing its secrets, then harrumphs again. He seats himself close to the fire so he can see the mound.

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by AQuebman »

Bindle takes large gulping drinks of his festive beverage and uses a nearby tree or log to lean himself against. He watches the others at the tomb as if it were a live action play.
Last edited by AQuebman on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Dogma »

A cloaked and hooded figure, moving with the smooth grace that only the elven folk can attain moves closer to the fire. "A drunkard, a common tavern performer, and a dwarf? These are the best you have found to brave the dangers of the tomb? Thanks the Gods we don't have have a half-breed or a halfling among our number."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by Alethan »

Skiiiratch turns and approaches the cloaked newcomer. As he nears him, the black cat starts hissing. It launches at the insolent elf with a growl.

"Ruffian, no!" Skiiratch shouts as he grabs for the cat. He catches him as the feline lands its front paws on the newcomers cloak. Skiiratch's pins the cat against the elf until he can get a grip on him.

He finally backs away from the other elf with his head bowed low. "Apologies, master elf. Ruffian hates being called a drunkard..." The cat crawls back up onto his shoulder and quietly purrs.

He turns and approaches Rourke and begins questioning him about the tomb's entrance. "What can you tell us about the tomb? What is the easiest way in?"

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Bhart »

Mondego wrote:“Well met,” Quinns replies as he disembarks the barge.

OOC: After helping the others unload the gear Quinn will spend some time talking with the men. To break the ice he will play some music with his magical lute hoping song will help to loosen their tongues. His goal is to learn about the area and discover any rumors.
OOC: These men are not local, they are the king's men sent to prepare for your arrival. They only repeat what they had heard on their way here...
1. Nothing seems to grow near the skull shaped hill. It is barren of plant and animal life, except for the biting insects and leeches. It seems parasites of all kinds are drawn to the area.

2. Every couple of years a group of adventure seekers shows up in the area. Every time they ask a bunch of questions, buy some equipment, and then ignore the warnings of the locals. The fools head off to explore the skull hill. None of them ever return.

3. A few years back a crazy woman dressed in men's clothing came wandering out of the swamp. The insane woman kept babbling about demons and green devils. She didn't remember her name, but kept insisting she was really a man. The poor thing died of fever a few days later.

Rourke is a local and confirms everyone of the rumors. Claims he saw the woman himself.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Bhart »

Alethan wrote:Skiiiratch turns and approaches the cloaked newcomer. As he nears him, the black cat starts hissing. It launches at the insolent elf with a growl.

"Ruffian, no!" Skiiratch shouts as he grabs for the cat. He catches him as the feline lands its front paws on the newcomers cloak. Skiiratch's pins the cat against the elf until he can get a grip on him.

He finally backs away from the other elf with his head bowed low. "Apologies, master elf. Ruffian hates being called a drunkard..." The cat crawls back up onto his shoulder and quietly purrs.

He turns and approaches Rourke and begins questioning him about the tomb's entrance. "What can you tell us about the tomb? What is the easiest way in?"
The old guide takes another bite of the apple as he considers the elf for a moment. "Boy, I'm still drawing breath and talkin to ya right now 'cause I aint never tried to get IN. So I couldn't right tell ya the easiest way in or what's inside it. I may be the only one foolish enough to guide ya'll out here, but I aint stupid." Rourke tosses the apple core into the fire and wipes his mouth on his sleeve as he stands. "Over da years I've guided more than a few groups of men like yerself out here. I'm usually back in town spendin' my money before dey find a way in. Last group a few years back was all worked up 'bout findin' somethin' on da north side of da hill. I didn't stick around to find out what. Dey never returned, so I'm guessin' dey still in there. Dat or the crocs ate 'em. "

The old man grins. "I'll drink ta yer memory at the tavern tonight. Hehehe" he cackles as he tips his weather beaten hat and limps toward the waiting barge.

Mondego
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by Mondego »

Putting down his lute Quinn suggests, “If the group disappeared after finding something on the north side of the hill, there is a good chance that they found something. Sounds like a decent place to start.”

AQuebman
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by AQuebman »

Bindle just gives the elf a big grin and takes another big gulp of his ale. You trusth your eyesh too much there pointy earsh. Bindle kicks up to his feet with a grace far beyond any normal drunkard. He leans heavily upon the Jo Stick in his right hand and holds his alcohol in his left. He begins to walk up to the top of the hill to take a look around.
Last edited by AQuebman on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Dogma »

Erodhan wipes away the nonexistant dirt from where the cat had touch his cloak. "Control your beast lest others do it for you." he says to Skiiiratches back. "I would have expected such behavior from the others but not from one of my own kind."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by Alethan »

Skiiratch turns his head and sneers, "But isn't that what do you'd expect from a common tavern performer?"

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Dogma »

Alethan wrote:Skiiratch turns his head and sneers, "But isn't that what do you'd expect from a common tavern performer?"
I think there has been a bit of a missunderstanding, but I'm going with it...could be interesting.

Drunkard = Bindle
common tavern performer = Quinn
Dwarf = Urdak

As a fellow elf, Erodhon would have had no issues with you. (I'm kind of modelling him on Lucius Malfoy from the Harry Potter Movies. except not evil. an arrogant, self-important asshat. but not evil :D . Until for filthy, vermin-covered beast assaulted him :D

Erodhon sneers back, "You place yourself on the same level as these others? My, how low have we fallen? "

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by Alethan »

Dogma wrote:
Alethan wrote:Skiiratch turns his head and sneers, "But isn't that what do you'd expect from a common tavern performer?"
I think there has been a bit of a missunderstanding, but I'm going with it...could be interesting.

Drunkard = Bindle
common tavern performer = Quinn
Dwarf = Urdak

As a fellow elf, Erodhon would have had no issues with you. (I'm kind of modelling him on Lucius Malfoy from the Harry Potter Movies. except not evil. an arrogant, self-important asshat. but not evil :D . Until for filthy, vermin-covered beast assaulted him :D

Erodhon sneers back, "You place yourself on the same level as these others? My, how low have we fallen? "
"No, I've just not let my ego raise me too high..."

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Dogma »

"It is not ego that raise me such. I merely assume to the station set to me by my abilities and rightly deserved by elvenkind. Or are you one of those that sees these others as our equals and even stoops so low as to bed them?"

Return to “Party 2”