Laws are Like Sausages

ateno
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Laws are Like Sausages

#61 Post by ateno »

Nevri heads away.

The other three arrive with the lock box of cash and jewels, Gunnar looks like he's finishing up with other guard.

Loading continues.

Any action before Dev finishes?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Stirling »

Marco Hulsebosch

Unsure of any specific role, will help in any practical way and organise his own retrieval of personal effects.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by ateno »

Marco, your stuff is in a locker at the starport, you can have it transferred to the train then.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by The Bindoner »

ateno wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:59 pm Nevri heads away.

The other three arrive with the lock box of cash and jewels, Gunnar looks like he's finishing up with other guard.

Loading continues.

Any action before Dev finishes?
Monte hands the lock-box over to Hiro. It's unlocked, but everything's there. Ought to change the codes before we trust the lock, eh?

Smiling broadly: I see you're being pretty generous with the signing on bonuses. Should I resign and reapply, or do I get grandfathered in on that deal? Monte is teasing, and testing his ability to do so, as part of the crew.

I'm going to check the drives one more time. Can't be too careful on a strange ship.

When I'm done, d'you want a lesson on the weapons Garret? I'll show you how things work, then when we're out in the black I'll let you fire a shot or two, get the hang of things.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by cybersavant »

ateno wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:51 am GM said:
Hiro, as you approach the ship, you see cargo mover and some activity, people are moving cargo containers to the rear of your ship.

Thinking that this cargo represents the fulfillment payment to the trading company, Hiro inventories the cargo, double checks the inventory tags and weights, checks the cargo for stowaways, and sends the list of cargo to Dev to asses if this meets the payment criteria. Hiro watches while the cargo is loaded, insures it is secured in the cargo bay, that all of the stevedores are off ship, then double checks that all the exterior access points are secured. Then he proceeds to prep the starship for departure.
As you approach you can see Gunnar talking with a guard at the small grav vechicles, it looks like he's handing him some money and the guard points him at a small grav cycle.
Gunnar I was waiting for this moment.

After dealing with Gunnar;
[/quote]

Gunnar Thunarsson talks with the guard animatedly, then drops his arms and proceeds past. Upon spotting Hior, Gunnar beelines toward him. "Funniest thing. It was looking like i'd have to try to bribe the guard, when suddenly he just waved me on through. Everything set? Are the others onbard already? Where's Octavia?
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#66 Post by bsongy »

Gunnar said:
"Funniest thing. It was looking like i'd have to try to bribe the guard, when suddenly he just waved me on through. Everything set? Are the others onbard already? Where's Octavia?

Hiro responds "I tried a tiny bit of intimidation in effort to clear the way for you. Glad you could make it. Will you be loading the grav bike?" Then softer, so only Gunnar can hear "We may have several other of Octavia's people join us. Help me keep an eye on them, please. Let me know if you think any of them can not be trusted."

Monte said:
Monte hands the lock-box over to Hiro. It's unlocked, but everything's there. Ought to change the codes before we trust the lock, eh?

"Good idea" agrees Hiro. Hiro places the lockbox at his feet, where he can watch over it, till he can find Dev, the new Chief Operating Officer, to turn the box over to.

Monte also said:
Smiling broadly: I see you're being pretty generous with the signing on bonuses. Should I resign and reapply, or do I get grandfathered in on that deal? Monte is teasing, and testing his ability to do so, as part of the crew.

Hiro stands very stiffly, formally and says "You have something much more precious......my undying respect." bowing deeply, very formally. But as he rises, he winks at Monte and smiles, indicating he is in on the joke.

"I'm going to check the drives one more time. Can't be too careful on a strange ship.
"Excellent"

As people arrive, Hiro finds Dev and hands her the box containing 1.5MCr, and indicates the cargo already secured in the hold.

Standing at the top of the loading ramp, at the outer doors of the airlock, Hiro keys the ship's intercomm, as well as the transmit button on his COMM unit, and speaking in a loud voice, insuring that everyone can hear him, whether already onboard the ship, outside ship on the landing pad or away gathering personal belongings.

"The plan is to travel from here, Octavia's base, to the starport on this planet, to pick up cargo owed to us. The Train to the Stars has a lot of positions to fill. Pilot, Sensor and Communications on the Bridge. Three Engineering Positions in the engine spaces. Three gunners for the turrets. Plus cargo purchasing, cargo handling, security and more. But we are a diverse, mult-italented crew. Covering all the positions should not be a problem. For this first flight the Security Recruits will be spending the trip getting squared away. Unless there is an objection, I will spend the trip in-processing the Security Recruits. Marco, since we will not be making a jump this trip, would you be willing to pilot us? Dev would you man comms on the bridge, and hold command while I am off the bridge? Garrett, will you watch over Life support Engineering? Monte, will you manage the Maneuver Drive in engineering? Gunnar, as Power Engineer and Chief of the Engineering Spaces? Any questions?"

Hiro gives everyone a few minutes to speak up or comment.

"Security Recruits line up here on the aft side of the loading ramp. Everyone else stow your gear and prep your station for departure."

Hiro will let everyone file past him before he starts working with the Security Recruits, taking names from each, checking their identity papers and qualification certs, and having each acknowledge on a computer tablet a non-disclosure agreement, a short paragraph explaining the conditions of hiring and a paragraph that reads Rule 1: I affirm that I will obey the orders of my officers, that I will not mutiny nor tolerate talk of mutiny, and if in violation of orders I will accept the punishments assigned by my officers. As each signs, he hands them 4000Cr in 100Cr notes. Once he has this, he will gather up the Security Recruits and lead them inside the airlock.

Again on both comms and the intercomm system, Hiro transmits "Fifteen minutes till departure."

Hiro will wait, with the Security Recruits, at the inner door to the airlock, waiting to see if any stragglers show up.

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#67 Post by bsongy »

Roll requested by GM:
Hiro Watanabe Streetwise
[2d6+1]=7+1=8

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Stirling »

Marco Hulsebosch

Well that certainly takes him by surprise.

Flying the ship on its prospective maiden journey is a rare honour indeed. He does have a Pilot Skill, learned only in his last career term after 20+ years in the bowels of space craft rather than the bridge.

He will take the seat with a lot of intrepidation, "I can do this." he has to repeat as a mantra several times over, the sweat on his brow. Keen to impress and nerves evident.

I am not trying to blast off but get familiar with the controls, uniques systems, jump, power, manoeuvre. He goes through a logical order to check panels are working (and he can understand them), life supports, fuel, pressurisation is stabilized.

Marco: Pilot +1 (space craft) skills check and Edu +1 [2d6+2]=4+2=6

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by ateno »

Stirling wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:07 pm Marco Hulsebosch

Flying the ship on its prospective maiden journey is a rare honour indeed. He does have a Pilot Skill, learned only in his last career term after 20+ years in the bowels of space craft rather than the bridge.
You get to the Bridge and there are only seats in locations behind the huge front mirror. Please see ship layout.
url=https://www.unseenservant.com/index.php ... acid=17882]Marco: Pilot +1 (space craft) skills check and Edu +1 [2d6+2]=4+2=6[/url]
You sit down confused and begin to remember that a old merchant told you of the navy working on a holographic customizable control interface. You attempt to activiate it, but after 5 minutes you realize that you might need some hope, like Where's the on button.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by ateno »

Hiro, you get five takers., and Nevri, the pre-approved asst flyer for Octavia.

Dundee is a 28yo Male. skinny and smart. "I can fill security or cargo, I dont have any ticket (job licenses), but I can use a vacc suit, I shape, paint and fires clay for Octavia.

Yalan is a 24 yo male, with a light cough "Does not stop me from working, sir. Any job you need." Very sincere. He moves quick and is accurate in step. He can use a vacc suit and works in the mines for Octavia.

Harry is a 27 yo male, standard build. "I spent a term in the Merchant Marines, rated in Astrogation and Electronics, I also know animals. I'm a repairman for Octavia."

Ophelia is a 23yo female With a great strong build. "I got out of the Army a year ago, followed a lover here, I was in the recon patrol where these came in handy when the Army gave them to me." She blinks her eyes and they are obviously a high quality cybernetic implant. Icould easily do security of cargo to get outta this S--thole.

Naddie is a 36 yo female, standard physique. "I've been with Octavia for just over 20 years, I used to <pause> drive for him, then he trained me in helicopter, hes had no use for me since before he went straight. So I learned to make knives, I make all of Octavias troops knives." She pauses and steps back."I'm gonna draw one to show you, you got a sniper that will shoot me if i do?" She stands there

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#71 Post by bsongy »

Hiro watches Dev board, insuring that she does not struggle with the oversized money box.

Hiro assures that there are no snipers, currently, and examines tge workmanship of the knife.

At the proper time, Hiro secures the airlock door and notifies the bridge that the cargo area is ready for departure.

During the 2 hour flight to the starport, Hiro will explain to the recruits that there is only space for four of them, but the two of them that are not selected can retain the 4000Cr they already recieved and that Hiro intends to give them middle passage vouchers. He asks if any of them would volunteer for this early release.

Hiro then runs them all through a quick test. Pulking out one of the autopistols. With no ammo, he walks through the procedure to first unload and make safe the pistol, then to load and to make ready for action. Then he lets each of the recruits run through the two procedures, with him standing immediately in front of the recruit being tested. He does not mention, however, that the test has nothing to do with the loading and uploading procedures. Even an expert may struggle with such things on the first time encountering a new firearm. Instead Hiro watches which of the recruits practice proper firearm safety, never pointing the weapon at Hiro even though he is standing right in front of them, treating the pistol as if it is loaded even though it is not, and so forth. Hiro watches without making comment.
GM, please for each of the recruits, make two gun cmbt(pistol or slug thrower) at 8+ and please report the number of successes for each recruit

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Stirling »

You attempt to activiate it, but after 5 minutes you realize that you might need some hope, like Where's the on button.
Marco Hulsebosch

After heavy breathing and getting over the panic attack of having to impress, he begins his familiarisation of the systems.

When we are seated, buckled in and given the green light, he starts the engines up, revving the power slowly balance lift and thrust until he can hover like a hummingbird. Smoothly done, he leaves the atmosphere and guides the ship into space, a pic of old grandad stuck on the desk in front of the holographic controls.

Marco: Pilot +1 (space craft) skills check and Edu +1 [2d6+2]=9+2=11

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by ateno »

With this roll you can activate the Holographic system.

A Generic desk with a 40 yo keyboard and monitor appears in front of you. After some fiddling you can get a message that says:
You Are Not An Authorized User

It seems the Captain will have to sign you into the system.

To avoid extra back and forth.

You finally get authorization as a crewman and a pilot. The holographic dispaly morphs into a pilot control station, in the bottom left is a control to customize the controls.

Engineering comes on line and full power is available and you take off heading for the starport.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by ateno »

bsongy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:11 pm During the 2 hour flight to the starport, Hiro will explain to the recruits that there is only space for four of them, but the two of them that are not selected can retain the 4000Cr they already received and that Hiro intends to give them middle passage vouchers. He asks if any of them would volunteer for this early release.
There is a visual release of tension from the six. Yalan: "We thought you were going to drop us at the starport, very generous with the voucher sir, very generous. I'd have no job, can't go back to Octavia.
Hiro then runs them all through a quick test. Pulking out one of the autopistols. With no ammo, he walks through the procedure to first unload and make safe the pistol, then to load and to make ready for action. Then he lets each of the recruits run through the two procedures, with him standing immediately in front of the recruit being tested. He does not mention, however, that the test has nothing to do with the loading and uploading procedures. Even an expert may struggle with such things on the first time encountering a new firearm. Instead Hiro watches which of the recruits practice proper firearm safety, never pointing the weapon at Hiro even though he is standing right in front of them, treating the pistol as if it is loaded even though it is not, and so forth. Hiro watches without making comment.
Dundee: 2 fail, one close
Yalan: 2 fail
Harry: 2 fail one close
Ophelia: 2 successes
Naddie: 1 successes, one fail
Nevri: 2 successes

Its obvious Ophelia and Nevri has had training, Naddie is comfortable with firearms, but no training.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by The Bindoner »

Monte makes himself at home in Engineering and carefully monitors the M-Drive during the flight, saving a recording of the performance data to his comm for review later.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Stirling »

Marco Hulsebosch

Finds flying from a virtual reality quite strange. He is used to the throttles and joysticks of ornithopters, giant armoured hornets with an undercarriage of missiles and door gunners raking streaks of suppressive fire. With nothing that is 'touchy-feely' it is a difficult balance to assess power resistance, vibrations and exactly how much physical movements trigger differences in the fly effect.

He makes a note to investigate what happens if the hologram crashes and the system goes down. Is there any form of manual override? How secure is the A.I behind it, can it be hacked or corrupted?

While everyone gets familiar with the ship and each other, the keeps to his specific pilot task, helped by mugs of 'special brew' coffee.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by ateno »

The Bindoner wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:28 pm Monte makes himself at home in Engineering and carefully monitors the M-Drive during the flight, saving a recording of the performance data to his comm for review later.
Unfortunately, there are port and starboard maneuver drives and you have to go up, forward, across, aft, and down to access the other one. Though you can bring up stat sheets or the other one from where you are.

They run pretty well, though they are still 'getting the rust knocked out of then' after sitting quietly for ~ 30 years.

Garett will take you up on the offer of some weapons training later, when you have a chance.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by ateno »

Stirling wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:14 pm Marco Hulsebosch

Finds flying from a virtual reality quite strange. He is used to the throttles and joysticks of ornithopters, giant armoured hornets with an undercarriage of missiles and door gunners raking streaks of suppressive fire. With nothing that is 'touchy-feely' it is a difficult balance to assess power resistance, vibrations and exactly how much physical movements trigger differences in the fly effect.
You find the customize button in the bottom right allows you to add/increase resistance to your 'keystrokes' or hand movements. It will take some getting used to no matter what. You also realize the customize button is a deep deep hole of options. Height. arm reach, dominate hand, etc. Not even counting available control styles.

You tell starport control your on the way and they tell you to take your old spot #12. Estimate 1.4 hours.

Any more interviews Hiro? Dev? Gunnar?

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by ateno »

Cargo Available for purchase:
Common Electronics90 tons 176,000 per ton
Common Industrial Goods 60 tons at 8250 per ton
Common Manufactured Goods 86 tons at 18700 per ton
Common Raw Materials 77 tons at 4125 per ton
Common Consumables 220 tons at 360 per ton
Common Ore 88 tons at 990 per tons
Bio chemicals 18 tons at 55000 per ton
Live Animals 54 tons at 9250 per ton
Luxury Consumables 21 tons at 16500 per ton
Textiles 91 tons at 1650 per ton
Uncommon Raw Materials 50 tons at 17600 per ton
Wood 25 tons at 660 per ton

Mail:
None

Freight:
No freight Available

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#80 Post by cybersavant »

Hiro responds "I tried a tiny bit of intimidation in effort to clear the way for you. Glad you could make it. Will you be loading the grav bike?" Then softer, so only Gunnar can hear "We may have several other of Octavia's people join us. Help me keep an eye on them, please. Let me know if you think any of them can not be trusted."
Gunnar Thunarssen "I really don't know any of the other employees. I just started. I can watch them, though."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Return to “Koninkrijk - Adventures in a Pocket Empire (Mongoose Traveller)”