Barrow Mounds: Hallowed Ground expedition

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Barrow Mounds: Hallowed Ground expedition

#221 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin will take one last shot at the same fleeing toad/frog. "Terrible way to go. Poor bastard."

Light Crossbow [1d20]=15 to hit, [2d4]=7 dmg
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

torkill
Tracker
Tracker

#222 Post by torkill »

Eldon and Sarge both lunge at the fleeing toad, but are unable to reach it before it bounds away. The halfling's eyes widened in shock as the priest was engulfed by the toad. He hadn't considered that fate when he first rushed in to attack. "Well, at least we were able to help him with his desire to sanctify the crypt."

To Hit [1d20]=4, Damage [1d6]=1
Bite Attack [1d20+1]=4+1=5, Damage [1d6+1]=5+1=6

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Mounds, south of Helix, Duchy of Aerik.

May 9th 1066.
2.30pm. light breeze, dry conditions.
Light: Exterior visibility limited to 60'ft through thick mist.
Lanterns (Tamson).
Vann Hector -2hp, Savant -4hp, Eldon -2hp, Dalin -1hp.
Effects: none.

Several arrows and bolts harass the fleeing toads, a painful croak indicating at least some find their mark. Suddenly the Moor is quiet once more.

The group take a moment of sombre reflection on the death of the crazied priest Reuben. His tattered cloak spread across the remains and a marker erected to remember his passing though pragmatically you know within days that marker and all such memory will fade. A chewed up chainmail suit and coif can be retrieved from the bloody pulp which if cleaned and repaired could be tailored to fit another character. Savant you have expressed an interest and can sack it up if you wish.

Continuing the homeward trek, the group trudge slowly in file following the footsteps of the young ranger. However his inexperience shows and he ends up staying in a northern rather than north-easterly trail. The group arrive near the Shrine of Herne, which has statue of the deity surrounded by group of standing stones. The diversion adds another hour to your trek but the road is secure and by late afternoon you arrive back in Helix.

Tamson trek check vs 65% [1d100]=80

and so with the return to civilization, the expedition formally ends here and I will total up some experience awards.

Post your actions and discuss any division of trove. Also decide any plans to either return as a group to the Mounds or other options for your character.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Well I am fine with arriving back in Helix to recuperate. The Barrow Moor, Mounds and Maze are tough and certainly have an attrition. Each of us injured once and it becomes quite risky (which adds to the fun and strategic choices).

I look forward to more xp. Each point counts. As to treasure, divide the gold. We each have a jar which we can all sell, pool the total money and divide or each character keeps the value of what he carried away (which I think for roleplay and random value I prefer).

I will in character make a post in the village thread regarding Tamson and post in the tavern a days stay. Vann Hector speaks lizardman and joining that trip might suit his talents.

What do you guys think about returning to the Mounds?

GreyWolfVT

#225 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin more than happy to split the recovered loot evenly doesn't debate the matter. Once in town he'll check in with Red Erik then head to the Foul Pheasant.

if you need another for a return trip Dalin is game, perhaps a true cleric would be useful next trip.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Fine with an equal share, it slowly builds up.

I am actually going to answer the request for a lizardman linguist on the Sauron Mound expedition, so will commit to that as it means he can go straight away.

I would think you could come if you ask or recruit clerics via the guild to return and raid the Barrows.

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#227 Post by LordKane77 »

If the urns we have go for anything decent, it seems like easy money to use some horses, or whatever. Can we figure that out for starters?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Spearmint »

I will do a round up. Let me know if anything is missing:

Exploration:

Exploring the Barrow Mounds and locating the Mammoth graveyard of bones. 50xp.

Dealing with the gargoyle skull and roleplay to expose Reuben. 50xp.

Encounters:

Lizardman bandits x 6. 390xp.
Purple Moss. 30xp.
Poltergeist. 100xp.
Mongrelmen (x 2 deceased, unknown driven away). 368xp.
Giant toads x 6 516xp.

Total XP divided by equal share and 1/2 share to Tamson = 1504/9 = 165 per 1/2 share.

Characters receive bonus 100xp each. Each character also received a 10% prime requisite bonus. Therefore XP earned is as follows.

npc Tamson. 165xp
Vann Hector, Dalin, Savant and Eldon each receive 473xp.

Treasure and Trove:

Rat purse of 75gp
Bronze large key
Clay toad that leeches poisonous paint
Potters urn from coffin & 44gp
Potters wheel.
Urn from secret room coffer. Contains a scroll. (Unidentified)
Ivory handled dagger from excavated area.

119gp divided to approx equal share is +24gp each.

Dalin has the bronze key.
Vann Hector the poison toad.
Savant takes Reuben's chainmail.
Eldon takes ivory handled dagger.
Tamson takes potters wheel.

You each have a random large amphora. You can each them to the village shops to flog if you wish. Post in the settlement: Helix village thread.

Decide who takes the scroll and what you do with it and how, if it has any value, how you divide its worth.

confirm here the above division and discussions on the expedition.

Remember you can earn bonus xp via Tributes and Memorials as noted in that thread.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

I an fine taking the 24gp and the XP reward.

The toad seems to be a trap or at least an item that leaks poison that an assassin might favour but despite being roguish (and not concerned about killing evil people) I wouldn't choose to be wandering about with the item, so unless someone else wants it, I will ditch it in the Moor.

I will keep my amphora as a momento for now.

The scroll? Needs taking to a mage who can cast Read Magic on it and then I think if it contains a spell, the value might be around 100gp per spell level per spell. That needs to happen in the village threads.

I have two horses stabled (stolen from the lancers guarding the penal coach). You can take them instead of buying ones in return for a half share of the trove any return trek collects. Is that a good deal for you guys?

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#230 Post by LordKane77 »

I am also find that division of XP and gold acceptable. If Vann is really just going to throw the frog, I'll take it. I put it inside a watertight sack, which I will buy. I am also going to buy a pair of gloves, lol!

I am also happy to go back and get some more urns, but I'm going to sell mine right now, first.

GreyWolfVT

#231 Post by GreyWolfVT »

all good on my part was the poison toad the same as the large pottery toad? I had mentioned Dalin would take it if nobody else did. Just wasn't sure if that was the same object or not if so I will remove it from Dalin's sheet. Also Dalin leveled up!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by Spearmint »

Dalin unfortunately not levelling just yet. See this post from the House Rules.
Due to the nature of play-by-post games and the normally slow rate of gaining experience or levelling up, I am going to unilaterally set the following thresholds for you character to upgrade to the next levels.

1st level: 0 -2000xp.
2nd level: 2001 - 4000xp
3rd level: 4001 - 8000xp
4th level: 8001 - 16000xp
5th level: 16001 - 32000xp
6th level: 32001 - 64000xp.

I will use the prime requisite bonus when awarding xp totals.
Which I know handicaps thieves and clerics and blesses mages and paladins. But to compensate I award extra XP via out of expedition rewards, random celebrations, character initiative and inspiration or through memorial & tributes.

Reuben was a true cleric, at least he ministered two CLW'S to the group, he was just a bit 'troubled' by the skull he carried and the consequences of his actions in the Barrow Mound he hoped to revisit. That mound is still undiscovered and remains a mystery to solve.

Vann took the toad and suffered the effects before sticking it in his pouch in the mound. He mentioned ditching it and Savant can take it for research.

Your individual jars survived the journey back, your d6 roll was a % breakage en route chance. Each has a value that you can discover as you sell them, probably at the jewellers or Silvine, Art Dealer (village thread).

I will wait on a post from Eldon then conclude this trek

GreyWolfVT

#233 Post by GreyWolfVT »

sigh always gotta kick a guy huh? Well fine Dalin is still squishy lvl 1 then. Removing toad from his sheet thanks for clarifying.

torkill
Tracker
Tracker

#234 Post by torkill »

Eldon sighs in relief as they finally arrive safely back in Helix. He is more than happy to split the treasure (and xp) as discussed.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by Stirling »

Yeah but on the bright side, going by the Players Handbook we would have at least 400xp less anyway and the buffs to skills and extra house boons put in more than make up the shortfall. Besides, the higher rank you go the more difficult challenges and creatures we face.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by Spearmint »

I have Savant in character going to the wizards tower in Helix. If it is okay with you guys, he can take the scroll you found and pay the mage to cast a Read Magic on it so at least you can resolves that issue.

torkill
Tracker
Tracker

#237 Post by torkill »

OK by me

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by Spearmint »

Great. It just means it can be actioned and you can discuss stuff then in the player to player thread.

Remember to update your sheets with the XP rewards and inventory items. Post your arrival back at the tavern and reconcile how many days upkeep you choose to take.

If you leave on the next day you will only recover 1hp from bed rest so decide your next actions and any village activity.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”