OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Quest #36 "Out Of The Jungle, Into The Swamp"

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Groups New Look
Freeday, 5th of Harvester
Early Morning, Warm, Sunny, Buggy,

The newcomers to the party are amazed when they see Alordan pull out a tiny wooden cube from his pocket that he sets in the center of the clearing, especially when they see it grow and grow into the shape of a full sized, ready to use cabin. The ranger enters to find only the maximum 8 bunks, but figures there is plenty of floor space, and some of the hidden bunks can be shared while others are on watch.

With everyone gathered around, the groups leader explains the concept of the obelisks and the structures in between them to anyone who doesn't know about them yet. https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 95#p566195

Theo, Torbath, and Andron discuss the area where they think the next obelisk will be found, looking over the map that Andron superimposes with his circular diagram. With little effort, it becomes clear where the group will need to go next. https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 63#p566263

The night passes without incident, and everyone, including the Silver Circle's new mascot Festus the goat survives the horrors of the jungle for one more day. Natural healing and spell recovery takes place as the group slowly rise to the new day with the same old problems. Bugs, heat, and dwarves. (+2 hit points for resting comfortably)

Actions?

positions:
Alordan AC3 20/22
Theo AC:5 10/10
Lerrick 4 AC5 17/20 1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 (Light Stone)
Tlachtga 3 AC7 11/23 1st 5/5 2nd 4/4 3rd 2/2 (Light Stone)
Jobo 10/10 Festus ?/?
Til-dirion 10/10
Andron 3/2 AC10 4/13 CL: 1st 4/4 2nd 3/3 MU: RM, CL, DM, 2/2
Torbath AC8 5/5 1/1 RM, CL, DM

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #36 "Out Of The Jungle, Into The Swamp"

#2 Post by Rex »

Tlachtga

Tlachtga casts CLW on herself.

Cure Light Wounds [1d8]=5
Cure Light Wounds [1d8]=7

She will begin training Tuto in the area around the clearing, using Speak with Animals as necessary.

Trick 1, come, verbal and hand signal.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As we post in this thread, try to remember that 3 of you are new to the group.

So anything specific you can detail for the newcomers would be helpful for them.

In this case, Tuto is Tlacthga's crazy pet owl.
:mrgreen:
Jungle_owlet_(Glaucidium_radiatum)_Photograph_by_Shantanu_Kuveskar.jpg
Jungle_owlet_(Glaucidium_radiatum)_Photograph_by_Shantanu_Kuveskar.jpg (468.3 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Quonundrum »

Looks like we'll need to rest for a day to fully recover HP and spells. Could Andron and Torbath attempt swapping spells?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Agreed, at least 1 day. I have 2 more CLW I can use on someone else.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Quonundrum »

Andronichishche

Andron casts a couple Cure Light Wounds upon himself, a Mend to repair the waterskin he cut yesterday, and Create Water to refill waterskins.

Cure Light Wounds: [1d8]=2

Cure Light Wounds: [1d8]=6

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Quonundrum »

Andronichishche

Andron reviews the map with Theo and Torbath, indicating the abandoned logger's shack at the north end of the trail from Beachtown (two hexes south of the yellow square representing the temple ruins). "There is a new trail running northwest from the logger's clearing. That would be the path of least resistance through the jungle. We would still need to avoid the dwarves on the main trail, though. Maybe use the hidden side trails as we did before?"

He then moves his finger up to indicate the old temple. "There is also a magic sword I wasn't fully able to investigate at the temple. It was guarded by one of the wraiths. We could also attempt recovering it on our way to the obelisk. I can move undetected using my ring and a silencing spell, but the main challenge is distracting the wraith as it literally had one hand on the sword hilt."
Last edited by Quonundrum on Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Is this where it goes from black & white to color?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

:lol:

I hope so! :mrgreen:

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Quonundrum »

Yes, about 6 hexes in from the blue sea hex is the old logger's shack and from there is an unmarked new trail northwest. The thick squiggly line south to north is the logger's trail. Two hexes north of the shack is the temple.

The thin line going west from the logger's trail is a dwarf made trail that leads to Nipple Gorge and presumably their copper mine. The black dots are known phanaton settlements in the tree canopy.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by jemmus »

Theo
I'll leave the decision about which trails to take to the people with more experience on this island. A magical sword is tempting. But they're quite intelligent, correct? I can't think of any way to successfully distract one and get the sword without getting killed. But I don't have any experience with them.

He clears his throat. By the way, I found this here on the island on the body of a long-dead adventurer. He takes a small orange stone from his backpack. I think it is probably magical. But I have no idea in what way, or how to find out what it does. He hesitates a little. Perhaps it could somehow help us with the wraith, the frog men, or the obelisk? The late adventurer may have had a specific purpose for it. Or more like not, I suppose.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

If the plan is to stay here a full day and set out the next morning, most of you will have some down time, if there is anything specific you want to do or try.

If not, just hold tight till I can get some behind the screen things sorted out.

Thanks!

kruk
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by kruk »

Lerrick

The cleric moves around to the members of the fellowship to see if anyone needs healing. She notices that the druid and the magic user-cleric had recently healed themselves before she could get to them. She then moves back to her cot and rests some more, taking full delight in the bug free environment.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Quonundrum »

Andronichishche

Andronichishche begins responding to Theo ... "The wraiths are quite intelligent, yes. We were successful in distracting one of them with noise, though. However, the sword is next to a throne in a rather large chamber, so directing the wraith's attention where we want is the tricky part." He turns to another page in his journal with a map of what appears to be underground tunnels, rooms, and a large throne room.

Temple-Catacombs.jpg

When Theo shows him the orange stone, Andron loses all interest in discussions about wraiths and insignificant magic swords, his eyes transfixed by the stone. "Could it be? Another activation sphere? May I see it?" He will cast Detect Magic and examine the stone to determine if it's the same size and shape as the grey stone they found before.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Theo's orange stone is neither perfectly round, nor is if fist sized.

Slightly larger than an almond, it does detect as magical, however.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Tlachtga

Tlachtga will examine the orange stone, any idea what it might be?

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Quonundrum »

Andronichishche

Andron's curiosity almost visibly deflates like a leaking balloon as he gets a better look at the stone and quickly realizes it is clearly not the same size as an obelisk activation sphere. His curiosity recovers somewhat, however, when the stone does indeed radiate as magical. "It's definitely not an activation sphere, but it is enchanted. Interesting. I am unable to learn more without a magical analysis, though. Unfortunately, that requires a pearl of at least one hundred gold in value to act as a catalyst." He peers up from examing the stone. "Would you happen to have one?"

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by gurusql »

Torbath

After Tlachtga and Andron finish looking at the orange stone, Torbath will approach Tlachtga and say "I was looking for some Wormseed, Catnip, and Culantro Leaves for one of my spells. If I am not mistaken the Wormseed and Catnip are growing on the opposite edges of this clearing and I thought I saw Culantro Leaves was just down the path a 1/4 mile back when we were walking here. Would you be willing to confirm my identification and recommend some good techniques for harvesting what I need with limited impact?"

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by jemmus »

Theo
No, I'm sorry, I don't have a pearl or any gems at all.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Quonundrum »

Andronichishche

"That is unfortunate. I do have a couple myself, but they are a rare commodity. Ironic as it sounds on a tropical island. Where did you find the stone ... I mean, where did you find the poor soul who was the previous owner?"

He holds the stone up to eye level. "Perhaps empirical testing is in order. I recall reading about magical stones that orbit the owner's head. Ioun stones, if I am not mistaken ..." With that, he holds the stone next to his temple and releases it.

Return to “Completed Missions”