Infiltrating Bresnan's Ranch

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Infiltrating Bresnan's Ranch

#161 Post by Spearmint »

what sort of things do you consider proof?

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#162 Post by tarlyn »

Where those runes were, just before the skulls, He will try to memorize them as he has no pen or paper/papyrus to write anything on,

Could he write them on a torn piece of cloth with mud maybe?
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Spearmint »

Sure. You can use some chalk or charcoal, soot to make a rubbing.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#164 Post by tarlyn »

tarlyn wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:26 pm Where those runes were, just before the skulls, He will try to memorize them as he has no pen or paper/papyrus to write anything on,

Could he write them on a torn piece of cloth with mud maybe?
He will try as hard as he can to do so

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Spearmint »

Runes scratched in the sandy rock face of the tunnel wall are strange syllables and signs. Certainly not an alphabet you might be familiar with

You can collect a dusting of those. Do you take the skulls and trinkets nearby?

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#166 Post by tarlyn »

Spearmint wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:46 pm
Runes scratched in the sandy rock face of the tunnel wall are strange syllables and signs. Certainly not an alphabet you might be familiar with

You can collect a dusting of those. Do you take the skulls and trinkets nearby?

Yup .. for proof . Fapp doesn't view it as stealing if he is going to show these items for some kind of proof.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Spearmint »

Action in the Far Barn

The two investigators, Fapp and Knatchbull have left Xavier to his own fate. Deciding to retreat and 'live to fight another day'. You anticipate that sooner or later the lovelorn ranch hand will be caught and his personal condition deteriorate rapidly. Certainly the threats you overheard did not offer him much hope in the old cell.

You cross back through the centipede swarm and flooded hollow, collecting the skulls and trinkets from the shelf and a rubbing of the strange runes.

Arriving at the end of the tunnel you listen. ... It seems quiet, there is no hullabaloo happening. Effectively you have been gone a little over an hour. You push the trapdoor and sneak into the end of the barn where the discarded equipment is stored.

You notice the front door of the barn is slightly ajar and the coshed hobgoblin seems to have escaped his bonds.

The three wargs, have feasted on the scraps. The meat sack tossed to one side. Their saddles and reins on top of the stall fence. They look wary at you, strangers with a strange scent but don't howl at your presence.

actions inside the Far Barn please

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#168 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

"What do ya think? Maybe release the worgs outside to create a distraction and then run for it? They might be looking for us so it would be good to disguise ourselves a little too somehow."

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#169 Post by tarlyn »

maceo_the_escher wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:40 pm Knatchbull

"What do ya think? Maybe release the worgs outside to create a distraction and then run for it? They might be looking for us so it would be good to disguise ourselves a little too somehow."
Fapp

The Halfling ponders Knatchbull's questions.

He looks at the Worgs and smiles. Retrieving his rations he approaches the beasts in a very relaxed and friendly manner.

Holding them out he talks to them in a soothing voice. One of them catches his eye, stirring something in Fapp.

"Good boys, here you go. Okay," he smiles, and courageously as possible tells the Worgs "I am going to untie you and set you free.

Pretty sure you understand me, my friends. Neither I nor Knatchbull mean you harm. We just want you to be free from your mean masters and do what you want to

do. Live free in the wild like you were meant to.

Okay I am going to untie you guys and set you free."

Standing in front of the Worg that caught his eye , he is amazed at the creature. Holding his hand out to let the Worg get his scent, he sighs.

I could ride him like a horse as he does have a saddle. Wait, where'd that idea come from?? What if we became companions or possibly friends?

Here goes nothing!,
He thinks to himself.

Adding further to his thoughts These beasts are quite magnificent after all. Damn all I want to do is ride it,,, just like a horse.

The Worg can most probably sense Fapp's bizarre sensations towards it.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Spearmint »

Action in the Far Barn

Some crazy idea strikes Fapp. He approaches the dire beasts, expecting a snarl, expecting them to leap and strain against their tied leashes. Instead they sniff at the fistful of offered jerky and preserved rations. The peace offering is licked up.

One feisty creature with a glint in its eye tries to stare down the halfling, fur bristling and rising on its haunches. Who is this strange little barbarian that seeks to tame it.

Barbarian stare down [4d6]=14

Unflinching Fapp nears the creature and eyeballs it back. After a tense minute it blinks first and you get close enough to ruffle its fur.

Wolf stare down [4d6]=18

You have confidence that you could saddle it up if you wished. Riding it might be another matter. As you consider those options, Knatchbull, checking out the door can see a quartet of figures walking towards the barn, a couple carry torches. One is pointing at the barn. You recognise one as the guard hobgoblin from the bruises you gave him earlier. With time and decisions at a critical point you can hide, run, go back down the tunnel or saddle up a worg each.

actions and initiative rolls for the following round please.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#171 Post by tarlyn »

Spearmint wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:33 pm Action in the Far Barn

Some crazy idea strikes Fapp. He approaches the dire beasts, expecting a snarl, expecting them to leap and strain against their tied leashes. Instead they sniff at the fistful of offered jerky and preserved rations. The peace offering is licked up.

One feisty creature with a glint in its eye tries to stare down the halfling, fur bristling and rising on its haunches. Who is this strange little barbarian that seeks to tame it.

Barbarian stare down [4d6]=14

Unflinching Fapp nears the creature and eyeballs it back. After a tense minute it blinks first and you get close enough to ruffle its fur.

Wolf stare down [4d6]=18

You have confidence that you could saddle it up if you wished. Riding it might be another matter. As you consider those options, Knatchbull, checking out the door can see a quartet of figures walking towards the barn, a couple carry torches. One is pointing at the barn. You recognise one as the guard hobgoblin from the bruises you gave him earlier. With time and decisions at a critical point you can hide, run, go back down the tunnel or saddle up a worg each.

actions and initiative rolls for the following round please.
Fapp

Turning to Knatchbull Fapp says "Let's get out of here! I'll try to ride this magnificent beast back to town!"

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#172 Post by tarlyn »

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#173 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

Hoping that Fapp has calmed the worgs down a little, and that as a half-orc he might resemble their usual riders, Knatchbull will also attempt to ride one of the beasts. The goal...a mad sprint to the gate and beyond.

I'm not sure what you want me to roll

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Spearmint »

initiative for the group of during an encounter is rolled in a d6.

Knatchbull and Fapp fix on saddles, strapping reins and a harness into the large lupines. You each mount a furry steed and release the tethers from the stall rings just as the Far Barn doors are swung open and an angry hobgoblin enters with a trio of other stockade guards.

The former guard is startled to see you, especially seated on the beasts. "Those two. They coshed me. Get em' and drag their bodies to the forest." he snaps, his intention to get some form of revenge clear.

You kick the stirrups into the ribcages of the wargs, urging them to sprint out of the room. Knatchbull barrels into the hobgoblin who gets trampled underfoot by the warg. You leap into the paddock outside the barn, dodging the attempts to umount you.

Fapp, perhaps due to being a lighter weight struggles more to control his mount, which is unused to his commands and leading. Either side of the door, two of guards try to make a grab for you as you go by. One grabs your garments by the shoulder and you lean over, struggling to maintain balance.

Fapp, give me a successful melee attack in your opponent to shrug him off.

The third warg, still tethered in the stall is approached by the second hobgoblin who begins to hastily saddle it in order to chase you both as you flee. Under the moonlight the beasts howl and snarl as the quartet of hobgoblin and Bresnan's men seek to restrain you both.

initiative, [1d6] and any attack rolls please.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#175 Post by tarlyn »

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#176 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

Knatchbull continues charging forward on his new mount, enjoying a moment of satisfaction as his attacker is trampled. He glances over his shoulder to check on Fapp's predicament.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Spearmint »

Warg Riders.

Fapp pushes away his aggressor. The two try to grab him again but he manages to jerk his mount and leap away. The warg snarls, Knatchbull calls. The duo manage to control their mounts swerve the grasping hands and waved weapons of the ranch hands and hobgoblin. One blows on a horn as you leap the paddock fence, waving his flaming firebrand in some signal motion to those watchmen on the stockade ramparts.

A flurry of arrows arc your way but each land short to pepper the ground. On your tail comes the last warg, ridden by a furious hobgoblin who urges his mount to gallop after you, slapping its haunches with the flat of his blade.

You wargs run freely, still under a minimal control but enjoy the freedom of the fields rather than tethered in the stalls. There is a trail through the woods that heads southwest towards Helix or you can follow the deer path up to the ridge where the goblin spy of Osen was murdered days before.

A second horn blast resonates over the corn fields as you plunge headlong through and gain the forest fringe.

Each give me a [3d6] vs Dex stat. This will be how you control your beast.

The last warg rider is a few rounds behind you but you can expect an experienced rider to close the distance at some point. So you can strategize regarding how you try to escape. Just put as much distance as you can between you? Split up so the chaser has a choice who to follow, set an ambush, etc.

Decide and post the rolls.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#178 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp

I would prefer we stick together and get as far ahead as we can, put some distance between us and our pursuers

Dex Test to control Worg [3d6]=14

I rolled exactly Fapp's Dex so hopefully it works

As they ride along, Fapp offers encouraging words to the Worg, patting it and scratching it, egging it on.

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#179 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

Not feeling entirely confident on his new mount, Knatchbull will focus on driving the worg straight forward and trying to increase the distance from the pursuer and not in any complex attempts to "lose" them.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Spearmint »

Escaping Bresnan's Ranch

The pair prove good riders, excellent in fact, maintaining control over their beasts to urge them into a gallop and through the forest. This is warg territory, swerving nimbly between trunks and leaping over fallen logs.

It would be exhilarating except for the 'whizz' fly past if a volley of arrows as the hobgoblin guard in the third warg begins to chase you down.

A second volley harasses you, thudding shafts into trunks just by your ears. You urge your mounts on but then disaster strikes as an arrow hits Knatchbull in the shoulder -4hp and dismounts him.

Hobgoblin Sgt' orcbow [1d20-2]=19-2=17 [1d6]=4 [1d20-2]=3-2=1 [1d6]=4

The chasing rider closes down the trail, nocking more arrows to his bow and prepares more target shooting.

actions and any attack rolls please.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”