Infiltrating Bresnan's Ranch

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Infiltrating Bresnan's Ranch

#121 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

I'll wait to narrate my actions based on the effects of the save but Knatchbull will definitely try and get away from the source of the evil.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Spearmint »

If you pass the save, act as normal. If you fail the save you are affected but possibly in unique ways in addition to suffering an immediate reaction which is to become frightened and paralyzed with fear for 1d6 rounds. You stand mouth agape, fears going through your mind as you contemplate things like "you are walking into a trap", "an arrow in the dark is coming for you as it did the goblin" "you are going to be fed to the wargs if they ever catch you", and other creative paranoid thoughts go around your head.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#123 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp

Save is 15 so that is a miss, I will post according to result as maceo :)
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Spearmint »

Sure, dramatise your sudden fear and paralyzing fright. Like the one in the B-rated horror movies who stand there like a deer in the spotlights quaking and not moving as the terror stalks up on them to shred them to pieces.

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#125 Post by maceo_the_escher »

I'm sure a 4 is a failure

Knatcbull is frozen in place with fear.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#126 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp swallows hard, afraid to even move. Whole body rigid with fear, he can not budge a muscle.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring under the Manse

Fapp and Knatchbull both stare at the grimacing strawman. Its evil aura permeating the cell. Both a temporarily frozen in fear. The paranoia, the suspense. The atmosphere plays find games with them.

But the mannequin makes no physical attack in them. Within a few minutes both characters come to their senses, mouths agape, seeing each other bizarrely poised in neither fight or flight mode.

You hear noise. It comes from the direction of the stairs as it sounds as though men approach and indeed do begin to give a few hefty barges into the door.

actions please

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#128 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

"Quick! Back to the tunnel!

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#129 Post by tarlyn »

maceo_the_escher wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:30 am Knatchbull

"Quick! Back to the tunnel!
Fapp

"Sure thing, let's hurry!"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Spearmint »

Snapping out of their fearful trances, the pair hear the heavy footsteps approaching, someone groans, the door take a couple of heavy kicks and 'thud', it opens.

The resistant door gives you just the seconds to duck past the barrels and into the narrow confines of the tunnel under the staircase.

Above you, several booted feet and a dragging sound, some clumps as a figure hits the step risers. Callous words, recognisable voice.

"Let's dump him in here Bozza. Leave him to rot. Won't be such a charming beau then will you Xav? No more thoughts of running away. Eloping? Nah! She's out of your league. Anyways, she's being set up for a 'marriage of strategic alliances'."

The voice is Gordo's. They drag a person into the first cell. The second voice, a half orc accent, (Bozza could be short for Horace, one of the loggers you met earlier) "Let me find a plank o' wood to bar the door." A few steps into the storage area.

next actions please

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#131 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull will remain quiet until the two leave. Maybe he will overhear more information.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#132 Post by tarlyn »

maceo_the_escher wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:25 am Knatchbull will remain quiet until the two leave. Maybe he will overhear more information.
Fapp

The Halfling looks at Knatchbull, turning his head from his position, frowning. He raises his shoulders and points his head towards the two

men, meaning. Do we do something, hopefully. He mouths "We do have the element of surprise, after all"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Spearmint »

if you want to use any element of surprise, I suggest you do so before I next update.

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#134 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull

Knatchbull shakes his head "No" at Fapp's question but tightens his grip on his battle axe in case something unexpected occurs-either from his partner or the two ruffians.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#135 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp

Fapp grips his scimitar by the hilt, tense. He is as ready to act as Knatchbull is.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Spearmint »

The pair retreat a little into the narrow tunnel, holding the torch as far back as possible so as to not cast light upon them, hoping not be noticed.

"Here I got a thick lump of wood. Use it to bash the rats in. Could use it in him again if he causes more trouble.", Borace fiddles on the shelves and kicks the rat-trap set up.

Borace notices 66% [1d6]=5

"Smell that boss? Like burning. Must be all that rat shit and incense."

Ignorant of the pair behind the barrels, he moves back to the side passage.

Gordo has finished securing the prisoner. A few more whacks across the head presumably knock him out. The pair shut the narrow cell door and bar the outside by sliding the plank between some braces and handles.

They pick up the mini-lantern they carried and set back up the stairs, pulling the door closed behind them. You wait a few minutes but no one returns.

actions please

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#137 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull to Fapp

"That was close! We need to take a second to figure out what we're gonna do. I don't think we should take any chances exploring higher up. I want to learn more but, if we get caught upstairs we're in big trouble-it's us two against a whole building. Maybe we should rescue this prisoner and get back out the way we came in? It doesn't give us any answers and doesn't accomplish what we were sent here for but I don't have any ideas on how to explore or learn more without getting into some serious danger. It's either that or move upstairs and be prepared for some fights. Oh...and the scarecrow? I've never felt so scared in my life-what was that?"

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#138 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp

"Let's rescue the prisoner and get of here. I have no idea what the scarecrow was but it was probably

magical in nature. Let's get out of here with him."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Spearmint »

The investigators speak in whispers, moving out from the wall of crates and barrels which block the narrow tunnel entrance. Sneaking back to the side passage you can kick away the wooden bar and open the cell door.

Huddled in a corner with hands firmly bound is Xavier. You have only seen him from a distance before, most recently folding the note to 'Dear Nadine' in the scarecrow of the maize field.

The man is bruised and almost unconscious. "Please, don't beat me any more."

actions please

maceo_the_escher
Tracker
Tracker

#140 Post by maceo_the_escher »

Knatchbull to Xavier:

"We can get you out of here but you have to do what we say and be quiet. Do you think you can walk on your own?"

Return to “Completed Expeditions”