Sorcerous Sundries

hedgeknight
smithy211
Runner
Runner

Re: Sorcerous Sundries

#21 Post by smithy211 »

Before leaving the mages shop, Vier'zt explains, "I do not like the cruelty, the deceit the spider queen demands of her followers. It is unnatural for everyone to behave that way. There are exceptions to every rule, even drow being evil. Now, to say I haven't done things that may be wrong, would be a lie. My first few weeks on the surface were.. difficult. To say the least."

Once he was back near the lantern, "We need disguises, Tommy. I stand out, for sure. Perhaps we can follow them both, if they separate, we each take one."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by hedgeknight »

Having cast curses, threats. and even nets at the patriar Klim, the trio of companions leaves Heap Gate and heads back through the streets of the Lower City. Needless to say, the trio get some odd looks, along with some propositions and some snide comments, in the greenish glow of the fog lanterns on buildings and lamp corners. Luckily, it isn't too far to the stained-colored dome of the magical workshop known as Sorcerous Sundries.
Remembering Rivalen's instructions, Tommy leads his friends down an alley to the back of the building where a set of steel stairs leads up to a small landing and a door. Unfortunately, the stairs are not clear. Sitting on them just a few steps from the ground is a girl with wild red hair.

Gilligunn.jpg
Gilligunn.jpg (46.89 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Upon closer look, the "girl" is actually a Gnome. In her right hand she holds a thick-bladed short sword, and in her left...well, she has no left hand. Instead it is covered with a steel cap...which somehow gives off a spark of electrical charge when she stands up and takes the steps to the ground. "What the hell do you three saps think you're doing? Trying to break into the place?"
Last edited by hedgeknight on Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:35 am
Upon closer look, the "girl" is actually a Gnome. In her right hand she holds a thick-bladed short short, and in her left...well, she has no left hand. Instead it is covered with a steel cap...which somehow gives off a spark of electrical charge when she stands up and takes the steps to the ground. "What the hell do you three saps think you're doing? Trying to break into the place?"
Tommy looks at the girl with a puzzled look, seeing her missing hand he says to himself without thinking 
it's contagious then... catches himself before saying anything worse or angering the girl
We'll, pleased to meet you as well, Im Tommy, recently from candle keep, a guest of Rivelen, he allowed me to stay in the loft and  gave me a key, are you his apprentice?
Thanks for keeping the place safe, my friends and I have been through harsh ordeals recently and need to rest, you can come up with us, it will be good to talk to someone from town and get your perspective of the mess we got ourselves in to
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by hedgeknight »

The girl gives the Tabaxi the squint-eye and then looks at Ambergris and Lesh. "Rivalen gave you a key? Huh. Ain't that some shit."
She takes a couple of wide steps around the trio and says, "I'll be watching you three. If I get wind of you meaning the old man harm, well...I got friends."
Last edited by hedgeknight on Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#25 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:20 am The girl gives the Tabaxi the squint-eye and then looks at Ambergris and Lesh. "Rivalen gave you a key? Huh. Ain't that some shit."
She takes a couple of wide steps around the trio and says, "I'll be watching you three. If I get wind of you meaning the old man harm, well...I got friends."
Tommy nods and tips an imaginary hat to the girl as he produces the key

well if Rivelen vouches for you, you may have a few more friends right here He smiles and starts to walk up then stops as he remembers something

by the way, do you know Lupeen from the blade and stars ?
im trying to help her, if you are her friend or see her let her know im still working on finding Aurayun,
matter of fact its the reason we are in the current condition, but i think we have a good lead and will continue as soon as we recover, we got a bit over our heads and need to rethink the approach
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

Tell
Guide
Guide

#26 Post by Tell »

Lesh watches the exchange between Tommy and Gilligunn carefully but holds his tongue. He tries to read her intentions.

Insight: [1d20+3]=20+3=23

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Probably has the hump that Klim was able to just walk off and we get barred from the other part of the city and no reward.

He needs to rest. At the gnome with the sword and partially limb, he points,

"Careful. You could cut yourself with that." indicating the blade and stump.

"Well, we are here to sling our hook. But if you got friends then send a couple out for some fried chickens, fritters and a bottle or two of fine ales. Keep the change."

He flicks over a couple of coins that will cover the order.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by hedgeknight »

The Gnome cocks her head when Tommy mentions Lupeen and the Blade & Stars. Her eyes dart into the shadows of the alley, making sure there is no one about. "Word on the street is...Lupeen's lover be alive and held prisoner somewhere in the city; likely underground in the sewers or some shit like that. Possibly even in the Labyrinth."
Tommy mentions about having a good lead "and will continue as soon as we recover, we got a bit over our heads and need to rethink the approach."
"Let me know how that works out. I'll be around." She says, turning to go.

"Careful. You could cut yourself with that." Ambergris says, indicating the blade and stump.
"Pot calling the kettle black, ain't it Captain?" she replies, nodding at the hook where Ambergris' hand used to be.

"Well, we are here to sling our hook. But if you got friends then send a couple out for some fried chickens, fritters and a bottle or two of fine ales. Keep the change."
Ambergris flicks over a couple of coins that will cover the order, but the Gnome watches them hit the ground.
"I ain't yer damn maid! Get 'em your own selves."
She whirls around and stomps off into the foggy streets of Old Town.
Tell wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:28 pm Lesh watches the exchange between Tommy and Gilligunn carefully but holds his tongue. He tries to read her intentions.
Insight: [1d20+3]=20+3=23
Lesh gets a bad vibe about this Gnome. She seemed very interested in the references to the Lupeen and her lover, and she really didn't look like a wizard's apprentice.
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#29 Post by Belkregos »

Tommy sees the girl walk off and sights she could have helped you know...
then turns to the door and opens it to rest and recover
lets just get to sleep we'll figure it out 

Tell
Guide
Guide

#30 Post by Tell »

Lesh retrieves the coin and flips it to Ambergris before approaching the stairs and testing them with one foot (stone or wood?). He then follows his companions up stairs scanning the darkness as he goes.
Perception:[1d20+5]=7+5=12

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Injured and tired, hungry. He will find a bunk to drop down in and sleep, mulling over dark dreams and plans to return to the sewers tomorrow.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by hedgeknight »

d&d loft.jpg
d&d loft.jpg (82.72 KiB) Viewed 726 times

The door at the top of the stairs opens into a fairly decent bedroom, even if it is kinda small. There is one bed, a chair and desk, but plenty of floor room for bedrolls. There is even a small platter of food on the desk > cheese and bread with some black sausages and a carafe of wine. Simple, but will fill the belly. There is also a note beside the platter addressed simply to "The Cat." The script of the letter is the flowing lettering of Rivalen Blackhand.

To my feline friend:
I have a hunch you will take me up on my offer of the loft, so I have left a few things to tide you over until the morning. I hope you were successful in your ventures. The stone remains in my possession, closely guarded, under lock and key. Please do not come looking for it. Have you confided in your friends about its origin? Perhaps they may be able to help you.
Until the morrow, Rivalen.
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#33 Post by Belkregos »

Tommy takes part of the food leaving enough for the his companions and taking the note he sits on the small bed and smiles as he reads it a bit pensive as he prepares to sleep he starts to talk

Ambergris, during the short time we've been together im sure you've noticed there are similarities in the abilities we manifest, to be honest they have not been a welcomed condition on my part, in my case they came about initially either by curse or accident but i've been trying to steer away from the influence i've felt reach out to me, Rivalen has been the only real help in understanding these entities and guiding me and identifying these entities he's been teaching me about That Which Lurks, Ghaunadar and Dendar, the Night Serpent. Both are powerful entities known as Great Old Ones, he might be able to give you some insight as well.... 

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Considers the counsel from Tommy.

"There is much I don't know, the purpose behind my choosing. I am in the whims of the gods, tossed on the stormy seas like flotsam driftwood. But I do know dark and evil stalks these city walls and She calls upon me to intercede."

the 'She' he refers to is Dendar.

He takes his migraine pills, sleeps fitfully. Not because of the terrors he has seen but of what he might dream of.

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#35 Post by Belkregos »

Spearmint wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:23 pm Ambergris

Considers the counsel from Tommy.

"There is much I don't know, the purpose behind my choosing. I am in the whims of the gods, tossed on the stormy seas like flotsam driftwood. But I do know dark and evil stalks these city walls and She calls upon me to intercede."
Tommy nods knowingly, looks to Lesh to make sure he has what he needs to rest and prepares to sleep as well,

we'll continue in the morning then

he goes to sleep

Tell
Guide
Guide

#36 Post by Tell »

Lesh eats his share and beds down by the door. He plans to rise with he dawn to do his prayers...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by hedgeknight »

Sleep...dreams fitful and frightening...distant noises, voices, screams?
Perhaps. You cannot be certain. Such is the way of dreams...of nightmares.

The aging sea captain knows the horrors in his dreams quite well. They are becoming more and more vivid each night. Something spectacular...horrifying...is on the cusp of occurrence. But...what?
He is being served tea. At Joplin's maybe? The voice of his server is unfamiliar...and yet something about it tugs on his mind.
Drink up, my brave lad.
He looks at the cup and recoils in revulsion, his mouth open, a scream at the back of his throat...

Special tea.jpg
Special tea.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 684 times

Tommy knows he's dreaming the minute he closes his eyes...and stops talking to himself. His tail spasms and his whiskers twitch and he feels like his paws are on fire. He looks down at them and there lies the stone...but didn't Rivalen take it? How could he...and then he hears the accusations, the familiar taunts...
"You foolish cat! You've doomed us all!"
"Thief! Scoundrel! You'll amount to ruin and folly!"
"My precious kitten...how dare you?"
The stone pulses and the fur and flesh melt to the bone! Tommy screams...but no sound comes out of his mouth. Nothing but smoke and ash...

cursed stone.jpg
cursed stone.jpg (39.59 KiB) Viewed 684 times

Do lizards dream? If so, what do they dream about? Water and fresh fish? Sun bathing on a riverbank? The taste of blood in the mouth...hot and acrid, running down the throat? Not Lesh. His dreams are always filled with the sick, the dying, the dead...and often...much worse.
The creature looks at him from across the chamber. He has disturbed it somehow...or perhaps it has chased him and caught him. He can't tell which. All he knows is it is an abomination...and it must not be allowed to live!
"Ka-ka-ka-ka..." he murmurs, his legs twitching, his fists clenching. He runs, he fights, he calls out for help, but there is no escape from...the creature.

FrankenDead.jpg
FrankenDead.jpg (62.81 KiB) Viewed 684 times

It's little wonder the three dreamers do not notice or wake up when a hidden panel on the wall opposite the door slides open, and a figure steps into the room. The silver knife in the figure's hand glimmers in the dim candlelight...
Winter is coming...

Tell
Guide
Guide

#38 Post by Tell »

Note to self investigate the alarm spell....

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

"Zzzz".

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by Belkregos »

:shock:

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”