Blackgate and Beyond

hedgeknight
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Blackgate and Beyond

#81 Post by hedgeknight »

hedgeknight wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:54 pm Read my post more closely. The dwarves do not have any fish; they SMELL like fish.

The Dwarves gawp at the bear and slowly back away...
What does Callie/Bear do?
Winter is coming...

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#82 Post by alchemy »

Callie snorts and shuffles toward the the dwarves, but stops a few yards from them.

She sits quietly but offers no threat. If they attack, she will attack with bite/fang.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by hedgeknight »

The Dwarf couple back up quickly as the bear advances, but then stop and stare again when the bear sits back on its haunches.
"Mama...where did this bear wander in from? Is there a carnival nearby?"
The female Dwarf shrugs. "I know not, Papa. Perhaps it escaped from the menagerie."
sitting bear.jpg
sitting bear.jpg (79.55 KiB) Viewed 740 times
"What escaped from the menagerie?" comes another voice from somewhere among the tents and shanties outside the wall. Another Dwarf appears off to one side. He first looks at the couple, and then notices the bear.
"Great day in the morning!" he exclaims. "Is it going to eat you?"

The lady Dwarf shrugs again. "I think it's hungry. But we don't have any food. Do you, Shel?"
"I have some ale and some hard bread," says the Dwarf named Shel. "Be right back."

The Dwarf named 'Shel' hurries off and returns in a few seconds with a large bowl and a half loaf of bread. Slowly, he approaches the bear, places the bowl of ale on the ground, and the piece of bread beside it. Then, he backpedals to where the other two Dwarves are standing.
Winter is coming...

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#84 Post by alchemy »

Callie waits for the older dwarf to return. Once he returns, the older dwarf offers the meal to the bear. Above, a raucous crow scolds the three dwarves.

After taking the meal, Callie transforms. She is tired and hopeful that someone can get her back to the inn. Flashing a big smile, she looks at the elder dwarf with a nod and thanks for the vittles. When she finishes eating she said: Please, can you help me? I am tired and only wish to return to the inn where I am staying. I am elven and a Druid, but I am weary now. My apologies for the surprise.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by hedgeknight »

The Dwarf couple and Shel gawp as the bear changes form, and their shock remains when Callie is revealed.
Please, can you help me? I am tired and only wish to return to the inn where I am staying. I am elven and a Druid, but I am weary now. My apologies for the surprise.

"Inn?" Shel asks. "What inn, lass? If you wandered down from the hills, the closest inn likely be in distant Elturel."
"Where are you from, dear?" the Dwarf lady asks.

But before Callie can answer, there is a distant explosion somewhere in the city! The concussive blast rumbles all the way to the Outer City and several folks, mostly Dwarves, come out of their places of abode, asking about the loud noise that roused them from sleep.
Winter is coming...

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#86 Post by alchemy »

Callie assume Shel is the leader of the dwarven folk

Shel, that was an explosion some distance away. Are your folk actively mining, or engaged in other endeavors somewhat nearby? Could be dangerous this close to the various populations.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by hedgeknight »

Shel gives Callie an odd look, glances toward the other Dwarven couple, and then says, "Mining? Lass...we ain't mining folk around here. Smithing and such is how we get by. And that explosion? That was in the Lower City or I'll be a beardless Dwarf!"
Winter is coming...

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#88 Post by alchemy »

I really need to get back to the Three Old Kegs. Don't suppose you can get me there. Dinner on me if your willing.They've some good food and better ale.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by hedgeknight »

"Three Old Kegs?" says the female Dwarf. "But hunny, that's on the other side of the wall, and the gates are closed for the night."

"Well now, Shayba, there might be another way," Shel says, giving Callie a wink. "Follow me, lass."
Shel, and the Dwarf couple, lead Callie deeper into the tents and dwellings of the Blackgate community. At the back of one such dwelling, no more than twenty feet from the outer wall of the city, Shel opens a set of storm doors revealing steps leading down to a grate. "This will take ye under the wall and into the sewers under the Upper City. When ye reach a 'T' intersection, take the left branch and follow it to its end; it should lead up to street level just northwest of Three Old Kegs.
Winter is coming...

alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#90 Post by alchemy »

Oh! you are so kind sir! I'm called Callie - if ever you need a boon, come to the Three Old Kegs. Like as not I will be there.

So saying, she memorizes the instructions and hurries away. When she sees the T intersection, she follows the dwarfs instructions and follows to the end. Sure enough she spies the inn a block away. Careful, she looks around first before rushing into danger.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by hedgeknight »

Down in the Sewers...

Under the wall, Callie follows the directions Shel gave her. The stench of the sewers is oppressive, but Callie pushes forward, intent upon her destination. She makes it to the 'T' intersection and turns left...and stops in her tracks.

green-slime.jpg
green-slime.jpg (168.05 KiB) Viewed 713 times

Oozing out of a grate merely 10 feet away is a patch of greenish slime. Poking out from underneath it is a body; most of its flesh has been consumed. The slime blocks the way forward...
Winter is coming...

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”