Festivals and Celebration Days.

Spearmint
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Festivals and Celebration Days.

#101 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin cheers on Red Erik "Come on Erik! Show em what a dwarf can do!"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Spearmint wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:09 pm all I can say in running these Unarmed Combat rules and scouring Dragonsfoot and Reddit, I can understand why creator Gary Gygax wrote later on advising folk to use other versions!
:D When I ran a one-shot tavern brawl on the boards with unarmed combat, I had to make a spreadsheet to keep track of everything and automate the math. Interesting experiment, results were fun, math was tedious.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Surprised to get through, not quite unscathed as he tries to bend his nose back in place.

Sizes up the next wrestling opponent, a local halfling returning from the city to make a name for himself.

Here are my vain attempts to go for two falls one submission or a knockout.

Vann Hector grapples: Initiative [1d6+1]=3+1=4 grapple [1d100]=96 damage [1d100]=80
Vann Hector grapples: Initiative [1d6+1]=4+1=5 grapple [1d100]=39 damage [1d100]=27
Vann Hector grapples: Initiative [1d6+1]=1+1=2 grapple [1d100]=78 damage [1d100]=63
Vann Hector grapples: Initiative [1d6+1]=6+1=7 grapple [1d100]=53 damage [1d100]=89

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#105 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth takes on the reigning Helix wrestling champ. He hoped for a better show than a points win against his last adversary.

Limbering up with some alpha primate chest thumping and splashing extra slippery mud on exposed body parts.

"Come on then, if you think you're hard enough" he taunts, hoping to rule his opponent into a false move.

R1
Golgarth mud wrestling [1d6]=4 grapple [1d100]=60 Damage [1d100]=33

R2
Golgarth mud wrestling [1d6]=5 grapple [1d100]=85 Damage [1d100]=6

R3
Golgarth mud wrestling [1d6]=5 grapple [1d100]=52 Damage [1d100]=88

R4
Golgarth mud wrestling [1d6]=5 grapple [1d100]=72 Damage [1d100]=98

If he can get beyond the second round he might have a good chance ...

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#106 Post by tarlyn »

"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Spearmint »

Mud Wrestling Quarter Finals.

so I rolled and compared results and probably tripped myself up somewhere but here goes:

In the little and large battle of gnome terrier vs half-orc mastiff, it is Dalziel who once more attempts to attack below the belt and trip the larger GBH up. Despite hitting the ground, the mercenary sgt-at-arms proves more able and throws the gnome in two successive rounds before the referee steps in as the stranglehold turns the little man purple in the face and breathless.

The reigning champ 'Rooster' Rogan, grabs the cleric who offers himself up as a willing sacrifice, back breaking bear hugs squeeze him like a boa constrictor, the massive arms tightening in a vice like embrace. For two rounds Golgarth just squirms until Rogan tires and a knee to the unmentionables, a double kick to both legs that collapse him to the floor and an unholy elbow smash to the temple surprisingly knocks him out and the Rock of Ages for Cromm rolls into the semi-finals.

Vann Hector and The Fappster fight it out and in a very similar vein, the latter takes the first round with a flying head kick that stuns the elf and he follows up with an elbow smash. However Vann is shaken from his stupor and with only minimal damage conceded in the follow up attacks he is able to counter with a headlock and strangle hold. In the end both are sagging to the floor but it is Vann Hector who staggers through.

The last bout sees the saffron monk 'matrix' a flurry of legs kicks which stun Orgoth, the follow up ties him in an arm lock. But superior strength throws the monk who counters with another wrist lock and forearm smash. Orgoth goes agricultural and headbutts the monk, turning his colourful robes crimson. But a last throw as the pair come together takes the bout to a referee decision and by a slim margin, the Oriental goes through to the semis.

hard luck guys who got knocked out, but you get extra XP for advancing.

The wrestlers take a break as the draw is made:

Golgarth vs GBH
Sun Tsieng Roy vs Vann Hector

four more rolls each please.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

"I got a bad feeling about this." he says.

He watches the monk perform any pre-bout routines and stances. To be honest, he hasn't much clue apart from 'go for the throat' and 'get stuck in'. So much easier to sneak up and stab someone in the back.

Here goes:
Vann Hector grapples: Initiative [1d6+1]=1+1=2 grapple [1d100]=94 damage [1d100]=77Vann Hector grapples: Initiative [1d6+1]=6+1=7 grapple [1d100]=24 damage [1d100]=45Vann Hector grapples: Initiative [1d6+1]=2+1=3 grapple [1d100]=94 damage [1d100]=5Vann Hector grapples: Initiative [1d6+1]=2+1=3 grapple [1d100]=16 damage [1d100]=67

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#109 Post by redwarrior »

Come on Vann! Be careful! He's tricksie, yes he is!

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#110 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Looks at the elf in the mud pit opposite. If he's got a bad feeling, he should be in my shoes.

Facing another man-mountain of raw muscle and aggression, he limbers up with a few prayers to Cromm Cruach, "Steadfast in the storm, my anchor and unyielding as my shield in battle, irresistible as my hammer." He psyches himself up and ...

R1
Golgarth mud wrestling [1d6]=5 grapple [1d100]=11 Damage [1d100]=5 A hit but feeble in power.

R2
Golgarth mud wrestling [1d6]=3 grapple [1d100]=100 Damage [1d100]=10 A fumbled miss grappling thin air ...

R3
Golgarth mud wrestling [1d6]=2 grapple [1d100]=85 Damage [1d100]=70 Goes down fighting

R4
Golgarth mud wrestling [1d6]=1 grapple [1d100]=27 Damage [1d100]=91 A miraculous recovery?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Spearmint »

Mud Wrestling: semi finals resolution.

Grievous Bodily Harm' lives up to his reputation, well earned as the Sgt-at-arms, dishing out corporal punishment, major damage, general mayhem and well drilling the privates.

Golgarth seeks a miraculous recovery but it soon becomes apparent that it is a miracle he recovers.

Meanwhile in the other mud pit, the sedate and passive calming influence of the monk turns into a 'beast from the east' and flip, throws and chokes the valiant Vann Hector. His first and third round ineffective sweeps cause little trouble and he is just outmanoeuvred by Sun Tsieng Roy.

sorry guys but you both bow out with prides intact but minus a tooth or two.

Mud Wrestling Finale

The village will celebrate a new hero who can claim the Herne belt and gain the admiration of the adoring crowd. The mercenary guild in full voice to back their beefy while the merchants wager in on the maestro of fluid motion and high kicking jinks.

The half-orc moves menacingly around the mud but despite gaining a hold on the monk, Sun Tsieng Roy twists his forearm and throws him somersaulting through the air. GBH attacks like a raging bull but his charge is dodged like a prime matador and he gets an elbow smash for his trouble. The third round is cat and mouse with the mercenary failing again to catch his prey and this time soaking up the reverse kick impact with little damage. The final round and both grapple, each landing a powerful blow almost simultaneously, a strangle hold and headbutt from the orc, a triple combo of knee, kick and gouge from the Oriental.

The bell rings and judges score cards, In effect, taking three rounds to zero, the new Helix Wrestling Champ goes to the bald man in orange, Sun Tsieng Roy. He is lifted up on the shoulders of the other competitors and carried around the village square to the applause and cheers of the crowd.
Thanks for joining in guys. So many rolls and equations, forgive my errors if you thought you git the knockout blow. I will amended the grapple and unarmed combat rules (as advised by G.Gygax) so that it becomes simpler when it really matters in combat.

I will tot up XP rewards and let you guys know at festival end.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector crawls away. At least he got beaten by the champ!

nice interludes and a way to earn bonus xp.

Must remember to recruit the monk on an expedition!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Spearmint »

apologies for slow posting here.

Herne Spring Festival Tug of War

Five person teams of all races and classes join up together to pit their strength against each other in a frantic heave-ho contest to haul their opponents over the line and bag the prize of the being the most unyielding and strongest tuggers in the village. All entrants get an XP reward, progression XP for winning bouts and final winners get an extra item boon each.

Enter you group under a team name and then I will match sufficient village teams to compete. So far we have teams entered from:

The dwarven forge, Bogtown Brutes, the Mercenary Guild, the Duchy Militia, Turgen's Gold Standard, Helix Housewives Cooperative.

Rules: each person rolls two strength checks, a [3d6+strength stat] and a [4d6] vs Dex stat score. The five players (include any NPC's you have journeyed with if you wish to make the numbers) total strength rolls will be added together and compared to the opposing side. Dexterity checks mean you either fail or succeed to keep your feet which may have your score effectiveness.

Each round progression gains a bonus xp. Winners get kudos and a strength potion.

I will run this event and close it by the weekend so get those rolls in or miss out.

Entrants please.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal checks again with Sven

"How many mages signed up apart from the three of us (including Cadweed)? You posted something on the town board, right? Maybe we should check the taverns for practitioners of the Art?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#115 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Are there enough mages in town to make up a 5 person team?

I am not sure if they are interested, but I think the only ones available would be:

Sigrid
Cosmo
Moriartus (not sure if he is in town for this or not)

I guess we could ask Mazzah?

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus was not in town for the festival. He would be next to useless in Tug of War, anyway. :)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#117 Post by OGRE MAGE »

He'd have made a great anchor for the mage team. :D

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Spearmint »

You can recruit Gerdal and Amos, since a cleric of Arcantryl (God of Magic) can cast mage spells.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by sastaz »

Ok but still just 4: Cad, Gerdal, Sven, Amos... Who knows, maybe Mazzah has a ripped STR 18 bod under those rags?

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#120 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin would join but he is no mage.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Return to “Barrowmaze (1e)”