Helix: Mercenary Guild.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Helix: Mercenary Guild.

#121 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenerary Guild

Durgo returns to the Mercenerary compound, entering the reception room in the gatehouse tower.

The quartet of hired miners returned healthy, bearing some scars from bite wounds and scorching from the Wisp's electric attacks. They have stories of ghosts, ogres, salamanders, chicken-lizards, blind fish, giant lobster like critters fishing on lizards and gnomes, gray skinned gnomes, blue skinned gnomes, nightmarish tunnels, and a cave of creepy crawlies that made people forget whatever memories, good or bad that they had.

It sounds a very 'ordinary' trip was blagged to be extra ordinary though the geodes each display add to their strange testimony.

They give a good testimony for you as you hired them and this adds to advantageous terms for your next hiring of staff. You show off your newly acquired armour and the recovered shield.

... ... which Osen is very interested in!
https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 36#p613336

Unrolling it, there is a faded description of certain justiciar. "A crusading knight of yore who fought against such evils as you are about to face. His shield has a certain heraldry that I wish to redeem. The quartered charges and lion ramparts. The poor knight was entombed in the barrows, along with his shield."
"Long have I desired to see such a heirloom restored. Where did you find this?" he asks. You can see a certain glint, whether a green eyed jealous or a calculating look on how much it might be worth should you consider selling it.

actions Durgo.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#122 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

"Osen, I was on an expedition with Moriartus' group to the Barrow mound or the Harpie expedition. I could search my memory for more details. I have been told about some of the shield's provenance. I seek to continue The Red Lion of Aerik - Sir Guy de O'Veargne mission with his shield.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenerary Guild

Osen looks at the shield and the imposing youth.

"The Bennerjake twins still suffer the trauma of their captivity as brood stallions for the Harpy flock. Death may have been kinder to their state though not as a hog roast, skewered arsehole to nape and marinaded in apple sauce as the Friar was.

These Barrow Mounds are an enigma and few survive more than a few excursions before Fate catches up with them. Many wander lost upon the Moor or even wander back, lost in mind as well as body. Take Alastar, a beggar now, a knight before some say. Tormented still by what he saw.

Too many go without clear direction and aimless. I understand the Harpy lair was intersected by Barrowmaze access and if the shield of O'Veargne was located there, then his tomb may be close by.

Should he be repatriated, I would pay handsomely, erecting a marble mausoleum in his honour and supporting one who bears his Name to reclaim his landed title."

The Guild master suggests an expedition to scout the crypts and tombs that lead from the Harpy lair, creating a blueprint of the Barrowmaze and locating the knights tomb would be of immense value to himself personally. He has some historical links to the ill fated quest the knight was on and sees repatriating the body as a point of honour to redeem his own ancestral lineage.

You can consider taking that as a 'commission' rather than just a random expedition, with the Guild providing some torchbearers to help underwrite any such venture.

"Discuss with your comrades and come back when you are confident you can face the risk and challenges involved."

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#124 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo bows to the Guild Master, "You have my word that when my friends and I are up to the task we will do as you ask and find the tomb."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Spearmint »

You shake hands on a deal, turning down several hundred gold offered by Osen for the shield outright but promise to delve in the Barrowmaze at an appropriate time.
The miners give a good testimony for you as you hired them and this adds to advantageous terms for your next hiring of staff.

You can return when ready prior to next Expeditions to hire from their stable of torchbearers and veteran staff.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#126 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo bows in respect, "I shall return. St. Ygg provides, and I work as an extension of his will. Once he knows I am ready I will return."

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#127 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo looks around a bit as he waits his turn or for someone to come assist him.

Durgo comments, "Well met....Ahhhh it's time for another silk run with some kids to find as well.

We hope to get some maps done up of the northern route while we are at it. Possible gnoll concerns as well...How's everyone doing? Since we might be dealing with some gnolls perhaps we could get someone able to speak gnoll as part of the crew?" The group is ready to go pretty quickly it seems too if that impacts those that can come along. The team consist of Fydmar, Brother Symeon, Gen a new mage will join us and myself of course."

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#128 Post by kwll »

Genaromes bows when his name is pronounced.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenerary Guild

Osen, receives the young warrior Durgo again, whose stride jangles softly from newly forged armour, not a chink or dent in its crafted mail, bearing the 'Red Lion of Aerik's' recovered shield upon one arm, augmented bow over a shoulder. He cuts an impressive figure.

"The Brightboons have no official Coat of Arms heraldry yet. Impress the Duchy and Lord Krothos will add title and legitimacy to your own banner and tabards." the guild master adds to your growing 'to do' list.

Durgo visits Mercenerary Guild: hiring vs 12 [3d6]=10

Durgo introduces a new comrade, Genaromes. You are given a rule over available staff as the guild master puts a few through various paces and sparring practice at the tilts and dollies. "You wish to trek northwards? Into the forest and beyond? Let us see."

He gestures to call some to attention, dismissing others. The miners are not presented, as they are regarded as 'torchbearers' and hired for mining and labouring basics rather than wilderness trekking. Especially as you intend scouting the Gnoll tribe.

"They will be available for your trade caravan. A Gnoll speaker?"

Availability of Gnoll speaker at Mercenerary Guild vs 1 [1d6]=6

"Chard here spent a few years among the Kobolds, sort of related. Step forward ... say Ah!" An aged mercenary, battle scarred and half scalped steps over a line in the sand, he opens his mouth and gargles "Ah!", but it is plain that his 'stay' was not pleasant for he escaped though they took his tongue. Osen shakes his head, dismissing him from selection.

Availability of Ranger at Mercenerary Guild vs 1-2 [1d6]=1

"Cara Crow" a woman is called, old enough to be your mother, a tribal tattoo dyed upon her forehead. She carries a yew longbow and chewing a cud of tobacco, steps across the line, spitting it out to splatter with aplomb upon a scurrying cockroach.

"I lived mor n half my years in the wilds. I can track better than most men, speak gibberish to animals and gut pig bellies cut orc throats to order. I'll do as yer ask but I ain't no camp floosie or nursemaid. Ain't afraid of blood or spiders but if yer get bit and I have to suck the poison out, that'll be a few gold extra."

From her weathered but stout appearance, you can believe her words. She is hired as a Ranger.

The guild-master looks for your approval and sends his lieutenant to arrange contract papers.

"Forty-five gold covers her liabilities and hire, covering four days. She will do you good and should increase your chances of getting there, wherever 'there' is and of coming back. Hired in retainer terms.

To favour your expedition, I can second Squirrel too. Not much of a fighter but she can cook up a rabbit stew second to none. Time she earned her keep."
A halfling steps forward, dressed in hide shirt, deerskin moccasins and wearing a bushy tailed helm, the long tail drooping to below her waist. A selection of daggers and meat cleavers are tucked into her waist. She curtseys formally and explains the arts of skinning rabbits and boiling freshwater clams.

Of the two, you think the halfling might actually take to cooking and general aide-de-camp duties whereas Cara might just bite the head off a snared guinea fowl and eat it raw.

If they are fine, you can acknowledge that here. Any further actions or requests in terms of staff hire.
I will add a profile for each mercenerary.

Cara: Ranger R2: hired to include 1/2 xp and full treasure.

Squirrel: T1: hired as torchbearer. 1/2 treasure share only, hire cost covered by guild.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#130 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo nods to Osen, "Both are worthy to join our expedition. We intend to map the area going north, Search for the missing kids, gather some spider silk and if gnolls are involved near the second entrance to the caverns see if we can ensure the safety of the caravan by parley or combat. Maybe they'll speak common."

Durgo provide payment....45 gp paid

Durgo nods to Osen, "We shall be back in 4 days unless we run into something unexpected."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#131 Post by OGRE MAGE »

After their recent return, Sven pays Osen a visit on June 29th

"How are things, Osen? Hear any good rumors lately that you want me to help spread?"

He lays 10 gold coins on the counter.

"Yardie is fine, don't worry. But, he does have a bit of an aliment that will take another few days to cure. I want to ask if it would be okay for him to rest at the Guild site for now, until we can get him back on his feet again?"

"I will pay the extra cost for the remainder of the week, if that is agreeable to you."

-10 gp from sheet

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenerary Guild

Business is good, a lot of new adventurers coming to hire torchbearers and guards. He has a high turnover of staff, certainly the basic F1 standard of Mercenerary. His more veteran staff are quickly snapped up, much in demand. Clerics are most in demand but their contracts are more scrupulously risk assessed before any dotted line is drawn.

You can keep Yardie the extra week, through to July 7th. Bucko is expected back by 30th June (currently on the Salvage run). Amos resides in quarters at the guild. He is technically assigned to you until 30th as well.

Thinking ahead as perhaps the initial conversations between Guild-master and Amos might have been voiced, he brings up your thoughts towards buying out Amos contract permanently.

"I paid his parole to release him from prison. He has served us both well. I expect contracts to be honoured, men of our word putting promises in writing. That being said, this is not a prison and we keep no people who wish not to be here.

Amos is contracted for the rest of this season and all of next. Sixteen months."

He checks a ledger or two, old vellums and fingering an abacus to work out ninety gold a month over his remaining contract, adding and subtracting clauses and insurances.

"Seven hundred and seventy gold buys yer man's obligations." Osen says.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#133 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven is a little shocked by the offer, and the price.

"Well, that is great news, Mr. Osen, sir. Great news indeed. I am glad to learn a few more of the inner workings of your Guild with each passing visit here."

He stares at the man, trying to ascertain if the asking price is firm or not.

"I understand that you have overhead as well, but that is a lot of gold. Tell you what, I will talk this over with Amos before I agree, but I think we can certainly make something like this happen."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Spearmint »

He stares at the man, trying to ascertain if the asking price is firm or not.
the Contract keeping Amos and the amortization value as the Contract ticks by is based on sixteen months wages (+3gp daily until end of October 1067). Subtracting any clauses and whatnot.

My thinking here is you buy the contract out and take Amos on as one of your Retainers. Your Charisma gives you up to four and I am not counting Deucalion as one for he serves due to being delivered from the curse.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth would be willing to contribute to this.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#136 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ya, I definitely think we need to do this.

I would like to know how Amos feels about it first, though.

Is he willing to work off a portion of the total cost from his share of our mission spoils?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Rex »

Agreed, his input is needed first.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Spearmint »

Amos would have no issue being a retainer for Sven or if his Mercenerary contract was bought out by the Guild instead with the clause the 770gp was repaid over time.

For example that could be he adventures on as 1/2 share xp (standard for NPC's) and full share treasure as normal but half of that gets retained until the full debt is repaid.

Another thought came from the fact Amos and Moorheeth are both clerics of Arcantryl and while Moorheeth (Darkmane) has withdrawn from the game, I would be fine giving Amos say responsibility to build a shrine to the New Age Futurus faith here and be resident priest in lieu of the other player's absence.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Rex »

Orgoth is good with any of the 3 options.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#140 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven agrees to buy out his friends contract, but needs to go get more money first.

"I think your terms are fair, Mr. Osen. And I would be glad to buy out the contract of Amos, with your blessings."

"I will need to go get more funds first, but I think it would be nice to have the reformed cleric present with us while we sign the documents, no?"

"I have noticed you have a few special routines that you do for your employees here at times. Would this event be considered momentous enough for us to throw a bit of a celebration for you and the rest of your people?"

Return to “Settlement: Helix”