Helix: Mercenary Guild.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Helix: Mercenary Guild.

#101 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo heads over to the Merc guild to see about so hirelings.

Hello, I’m Durgo. Headed out for a spider silk run and mine exploration. I’d like to hire a guide and a Druid or Cleric as well. I think we’re looking at 2 maybe 3 day run. Anyone with prior experience in the run would be beneficial.

Durgo tries to be official and pleasant during the negotiations.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenary Guild.

June 13th 1066.

So the way we do this is you pitch your expedition or need. Roll a 4d6 vs your charisma. Your result dictates what sort of skill level and person may be acquired from the guild. A failure may just penalise you with a higher rate of fees, as they lack confidence in your ability to lead or the success of what you present.

Your personal reputation is also factored in, as is your customer history. Do you hire folk and they due? Do they come back richly rewarded? Do you create memorials or tributes to any dead or surviving mercenary hired?

So, describe what sort of mercenary you would like to hire and any specific class features and then post your roll.
Durgo charisma check vs 12 [4d6]=8

Grievous Bodily Harm' a half-orc, as tall and as wide as Durgo receives him into the round tower reception. He acts as a subaltern to the Guildmaster Osen, listens to your request and pulls out a ledger from the desk.

"Collecting threads? Dangerous business that. Nasty critters spiders. Eat their own after mating. How terrible. Male performs his duty then 'whoosh', off with his head. Imagine that. Enough to make a man take holy vows and be a cleric instead."

He looks down his list, shaking his head.

"Got no clerics, just wastrels and black widow fodder. Got some ex-miners though. Been out before digging tunnels in the Barrow Mounds. Came back rich, blew it all on floozies and strumpets."

if Fydmar is with you at the guild, he will be familiar with this crew.
"So you need some strong backs and strong arms. I can send a group. Old miners and tunnellers out of the Chalk quarry. Seems more like their line of work. They will be basic torch-bearers and labourers, can't say I have seen much martial skill among them but if honest grit serves your purpose they are your men."

Miners: Three human and one gnome miners, each carry a pick or sledgehammer.

Treated as basic level torch-bearers. They gain no share of XP but a 1/2 share of any treasure.

Miners: F1, AC 8 (padded), hp 8. Named as Lemmy, Ozzie, Plantie and Meatloaf the gnome.

"They come as a crew. Tell you what, being such a new client and them going to familiar terrain. I'll do a special deal. Contract the men and I'll chuck the gnome in for free."

He points them out in the yard and you can inspect them as you see fit. They will tell you they accompanied Moriartus and Fydmar in the Mummy Barrow, so that should be a good enough reference.

The actual cost to hire them over three days comes to 26gp x 3, 78gp. (10gp for 1st level fighter level, 2gp daily wage, Duchy tax and fees 10gp).. -78gp

GBH also notices the shield you bear. He asks you to come to the office upon your return for 'the boss' might like to see it.

If you trawls through the public archives here you may have read this:
He passes Vann Hector a parchment alongside the contract to hire the mercenary. Unrolling it, there is a faded description of certain justiciar. "A crusading knight of yore who fought against such evils as you are about to face. His shield has a certain heraldry that I wish to redeem. The quartered charges and lion ramparts. The poor knight was entombed in the barrows, along with his shield."

You recovered the shield he is looking for ...

Paying the money, decide if you want all four or just one or two, you sign the contracts, taking a copy with you and a promise the miners will be ready to depart from the town square in the morning.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#103 Post by scottjen »

Fymar
(he might as well be here for this) Aye, the lot of them are stout lads. We should take the crew.
We can split the cost

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#104 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

"Well met GBH, sounds like a fair deal to me. I like the lot of them. Oh, the shield ey. I've been all over town getting as much information on it and the previous owner. Sure, I can stop by after the expedition, but I can't stay long. So..no prior silk runners though. We'll make do. If they don't come with 1st aid kits have them get one each and if necessary, I'll cover the cost. Fydmar if you like'em then that's good enough for me.

Durgo hands over the coin
- 39 gp Let me know if I need to subtract 100 gp for the 1st aid kits.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Spearmint »

Currently 1st Aid kits are only sold to characters or npc clerics. So just deduct the hiring fee.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#106 Post by scottjen »

39 gp subtracted

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#107 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven returns to the guild master to inquire about Truro’s next of kin, greeting Osen with a somber nod before telling him how the priest was unceremoniously swallowed whole by a toad three times the size of the Bennerjakes.

“Took him totally by surprise. By the time we killed the damn thing and pulled the poor lad out, he was already half dissolved. One of the worst things I’ve ever seen. We laid him to rest and intend to honor him by marking the grave in some special way.”

The mage squeezes his coin purse nervously and hopes this news won’t affect his chance to continue working with Amos and possibly Bucko and Yardie as well.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenary Guild

The courtyard bell tolls solemnly on behalf of Truro. You fellow expeditioners and mercenerary hires repeat the sad tale, avoiding the graphic truths.

A wider family of Truro is known and the collection you have made goes towards their needs, Amos scripting a note and including the priest's leathered holy books and personal gear.

Clerics are hard to come by, especially those of Ygg persuasion. Four have died within the last month or so (Friar John, Marcel, Reuben, Truro), not all associated with the guild but limiting options to recruit from.

Laden with gold as well as stories and battle scars, the surviving mercenary trio present a good testimony. Exploring Barrow Mounds, Moors and Mazes has inherent dangers but reward for the few and while he doesn't have to adventure any more himself, Osen is quite willing to supply a steady stream of torchbearer fodder and veteran swordsmen to buff out further quests.

You can count on Amos as usual being seconded to your expeditions. Bucko and Yardie plus others are available as per usual supply and demand constraints.

at the moment only you have the demand, so pretty much you can get what supply, minus clerics, that you prefer.

just as a reminder. Amos goes along for 1/2 share XP but full share treasure. Other mercs go depending on hire. Basic torch bearer, camp aides are 1/2 share treasure only, more veteran hires take a 1/2 share XP as well, which could then mean they level up too.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#109 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Spearmint wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:40 am just as a reminder. Amos goes along for 1/2 share XP but full share treasure.
I forgot he was full share, so I will be sure to compensate with gold from the future sale of our held items.

He can also wear the Palanthas Gauntlet for the time being, if that makes him feel any better.
:mrgreen:

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Returns to the mercenerary guild to sweet talk Osen and Sundance regarding his latest exploratory opportunity.

"I understand Sir, you are in enterprise with the young mage Sven and supply able bodies to bulwark his expeditions below the Barrow Mounds.

I have shared my thoughts with him and it seems we have parallel ambitions and plan to explore along a certain length of discovered labyrinth.

If I may, I would like to retain Sundance for the endeavour, her skill and fortitude will be well received and I am sure she gives a good testimony of our vanquishing the devil's knight in the quest commissioned by the church and Duchy."

Vann Hector charisma check vs 9 [4d6]=16. Reactions [1d100]=52

He also needs to make good on fulfilling any promise to help the mage with learning any additional spells. The actual contract was here:
Sundance, "I will come along. You know some of my gifts and talents. I ask as well a reciprocal arrangement should you or your team require me to Identify certain items then I get you to underwrite my acquisition of further spell knowledge."

basically if she casts Identify which is a spell service valued at a base 200gp, then you also help her learn a new first level spell, paying the same in material and tutorage cost to cover that learning.

With everything agreed, Sundance will join your trip when it leaves.
Not sure she Identified anything but I also think we may have short changed her in the treasure division as she was signed on as full not half share.

So I saved my last coins, +200gp to help cover spell learning costs and the same hire cost -30gp to facilitate the hire.

-230gp.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenary Guild

The guildmaster can prove a tough cookie to crumble, his austere manner not so affable to elvish charm. Still, you paid well and this time returned hirelings intact and sound of mind.

"Indeed, good words and pretty gems to show for it. But no Shield. I understand one was discovered by alas not my distant kinsman's. Too bad, I would pay heftily for its redemption."

Osen talks business with Vann Hector and you come to an agreement regarding the hire of Sundance, elven warrior maiden and mage. Paying her dues, she will accompany you to the next delve as required.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#112 Post by ateno »

Knowing the people and where they are Cosmo stops at the two stores on the way.

He waits outside the merc hall, waiting for the cleric after buying 3 throwing daggers and eventually 3 first aide packets.

minus 78 g 6s

Hadarai
Ranger
Ranger

#113 Post by Hadarai »

Callen approached the Mercenary's Guild, hailing Cosmo. "Hello again friend! I've managed to secure us one companion so far, the Elf from the bar, let's see if we can recruit anyone else shall we?"

Will we be rolling our 4d6 against Charisma separately or elect a "Leader" to handle it?

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#114 Post by ateno »

Hadarai wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:18 am Callen approached the Mercenary's Guild, hailing Cosmo. "Hello again friend! I've managed to secure us one companion so far, the Elf from the bar, let's see if we can recruit anyone else shall recruit anyone else?

Cosmo smiles as Callen approach.

I`ve seen him talked to before, let me try my luck

As we enter and sees Grevious, "Hello there sir, here to see the Guildmaster. We would like to see if ther are two swordsmen for one day.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenary Guild

Cosmo & Callen visit the guild.

'GBH' Grievous Bodily Harm, looks at the little gnome, half his size and probably a quarter of his weight.

"Swordsmen we have aplenty. Not going to make them vanish are you? Saw them in half? Hypnotise them?" he jests and takes out a ledger from a back cabinet. A line of strikes through names, freshly done by the look of it. Notes scribbled in the side margin; K.I.A, M.I.A, 'came back but brain dead'
. "Been tough going this season, heard two of my boys got strung up and used for target archery practice over by the Old Dwarf Bridge.

Just a day? Let's make it two, time to get there, wherever 'there' is and time to come back again."
He taps on the back window that overlooks the courtyard, pushing a chair over for you to stand on then peer through. "Two big lads over there, twins. Great for loping heads and hewing trunks. Bit soft in the head though. Might hold them back another month.

Those other pair are stalwart fellows. Been to the mounds and back twice now with the old mage and his crew, brought the twins back, fought off harpies, Mummy's and wyverns. And they still want to risk their necks.

Well Mr Cosmo, you get what you pay for."

Cosmo and Callen both have a look, assessing the guys. The two in question are Rickford and Duvall, (a basic profile of them in the NPC thread)

The two men are called over for introduction.

"Make sure you have your Last Will and Testaments in order. I am seconding you to these gentleman for a scouting of the mounds. Nothing too fancy, but don't lose your heads, or theirs. Bad for business."

The two men, nod their acknowledgement and shake on any deal. There are contracts to sign and fees paid upfront. Both of these men are listed as 1st level fighters.They would come with a basic expedition pack and their own personal kit.

you can hire them now if you wish and ask any more questions

As 'Torchbearer' standard hirelings, the fees are detailed (from the first page of the thread), amounting to 48gp covering hire, two days wages, Duchy taxes (Lord Krothos creams a bit of tax for the village coffers), and each man would take a 1/2 share of recovered trove.

"Right, sign here." he hands you the quill, you get a sheaf of contract with T&C's written on. The pair get their gear and follow you out when ready.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#116 Post by ateno »

Sounds like just the thing. I don't think we need laborers.

Cosmo looks at Callen, for approval.

If he does Cosmo will sign and pay.

Hadarai
Ranger
Ranger

#117 Post by Hadarai »

Callen nods in agreement, "Yes, some sword arms should be all we need for this trip."

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#118 Post by ateno »

Sounds like we are ready to go, we have to pick up the bowman on the way. Anyone have questions?

Cosmo

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Spearmint »

I have opened your Expedition thread here.

viewtopic.php?p=641954#p641954

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#120 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

"Hail friends, I thought I stop by and let you know I'll probably be getting another expedition going in a few days. "

Durgo shows off his new armor and his shield. He's not flaunting it just making it a bit more prominent.

"The crew did great on the last run. I'm not sure what we'll need for the next run, but I wanted to let you know there might be a need."

Return to “Settlement: Helix”