Helix: Tower of Mazzah

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Helix: Tower of Mazzah

#241 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Spearmint wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:59 pm I will check a few values to give you an answer to Brother Gamdar's suggestion of 'redeeming' the article so that it removes the ability of Impurax knowing you, influencing you and possibilities like that.
Yes. Please. That would be great.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#242 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Cadeweed will attempt to gain an audience with Mazzah. He wants to see if the great and knowledgable wizard would be interested in the giant spider glands he recovered.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#243 Post by Spearmint »

The Tower of Mazzah

July 7th - 9th, sometime during his Helix stay, Cadeweed gains an audience with the enigmatic mage, Mazzah.

Certainly rare and precious compounds and organs are in high demand, if not by Mazzah himself, then by sages and alchemists in Ironguard. Spider glands are fairly common rather than rare but so are spiders and therefore anti-venoms are the sought after antidote. He will gladly acquire the glands, not sure how many you have but I think circa twenty spiders or so were despatched.

Mazzah receives you in his parlour reception, listening to any retelling of your adventure and showing particular interest in any of the 'magic' encountered or used. (Of course Dougal's 'Butterfly effect' Runic tablet was a great tpk saving device but remains an unknown item since the back-step in time).

Actions, you can share any specific 'magic' encounter or incident with him or ask any question, advice.

Roll a Charisma check [4d6] which I will resolve to determine any response.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#244 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"Greetings, Mr. Mazzah! I have come with a most interesting ... um ... organ. The heart of a wight." He carefully unwraps the blackened heart and places it gently on a nearby table. "This particular heart is from a wight which had only minutes before struck and drained the life force from a dear associate of mine. I thought you may have some insight into this dreadful ability. Perhaps a way to reverse it can be crafted?"

Charisma (17): [4d6]=9

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by gurusql »

Spearmint wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:32 pm The Tower of Mazzah

July 7th - 9th, sometime during his Helix stay, Cadeweed gains an audience with the enigmatic mage, Mazzah.

Certainly rare and precious compounds and organs are in high demand, if not by Mazzah himself, then by sages and alchemists in Ironguard. Spider glands are fairly common rather than rare but so are spiders and therefore anti-venoms are the sought after antidote. He will gladly acquire the glands, not sure how many you have but I think circa twenty spiders or so were despatched.

Mazzah receives you in his parlour reception, listening to any retelling of your adventure and showing particular interest in any of the 'magic' encountered or used. (Of course Dougal's 'Butterfly effect' Runic tablet was a great tpk saving device but remains an unknown item since the back-step in time).

Actions, you can share any specific 'magic' encounter or incident with him or ask any question, advice.

Roll a Charisma check [4d6] which I will resolve to determine any response.
Cadeweed

Cadeweed will share the tale of the adventure with Mr. Mazzah, including the undead in the forest, the giant bees, the wights and the second encounter in the forest (I assume there is no memory of the first). Cadeweed will pay special attention to the last part. "These spider venom sacks are from The One Tree, Silvanus Grove that had been over run by a few Driders and one was able to summon spiders to his aid by the use of what I assume is a magic horn. One of the Driders was slain and the other driven off. There were removed from the spiders."

Cadeweed does not lie or stretch the truth.

Random 4d6 [_4d6]=(5+6+2+5)=18 (CHR of 8)

Cadeweed only asks to continue his undead study and try to find out any information that Mazzah has about this Necromancer's that Cadeweed believes out there and if his name could be Nathalas.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#246 Post by Spearmint »

The Tower of Mazzah.

Cadeweed talks.

Certainly Mazzah is intrigued and alarmed by the reports of 'Drider' creatures, the result of hybrid or genetic experiments (allegedly). The mage himself is rumoured to be an expert in the realm of polymorphism (again allegedly) though you note that among more usual animals such as Mephistopheles the cat and an owl whose feathers are routinely plucked to provide components to Identify, he has more 'bizarre' animals such as 'the dishwasher' being a rather handy octopus and a pen of 'chizzards' under his outside archway.

You can enquire to 'the Chick?', itself a genetically mutated hybrid stemming from the copulation of the mercenaries Ben n' Jake with harpy crones. "I cannot say much of appeal. Hatchlings are scrawny and blind at birth with little beauty to behold in them. Once she could fledge upon her own wings I released her into the vortex and whence she goes upon the winds I know not."
"Okay. I will offer a deal. A life for a life. I will take and study the egg and then release the Harpy to her fate elsewhere. However, I am not the master of Necromantic affairs or Undead fiends. That would be the preserve of the church. Necromancy covers both healing and diabolic arts.

I can however give you some study notes on adventurers experiences with various necrotic fiends disturbed from the Barrow Tombs. A bestiary of information on monsters from skeleton types to zombies, ghouls and barrow ghasts."

You can show him the 'carbolic soap vs undead' that you carry which he approves off. You have yet to test its voracity. "I sourced some mineral Silvering from my experiments." He produces an ingot of silver. "Take this to the forge, they can craft it over a blade of choice to make it effective against certain undead invulnerable to cold iron."

So to summarise, he will trade you access to an Undead Bestiary tome as asked and give you enough enchanted silver to make a 'silvered dagger or short sword', useful vs wights, wraiths, lycanthropes and vagabonds. (Though you will have to pay the forge to equip the augmentation but you are providing the material. Normally silvering costs ten times base value but this would be halved to 40gp in labour to silver a short sword).
He pens some notes on the revelations and asks how your current studies get on.

Not sure if you actioned silvering a dagger or short sword as I remember the fight with the Wight and only Jorly was noted as having an enchanted weapon. It may be you did use his silvering but never noted it on your sheet?
Cadeweed

Cadeweed will attempt to talk to Karg Barrelgut about using the ingot of silver to improve his short sword.

40 gp marked off
So, you should note on your inventory: Silvered Short Sword.

Nathalas is a name that often crops up though little is actually known about who he is or where he comes from. Encountered twice via some 'etheral cloud', once when commending the Red Fang bugbear chief and secondly when invoked by the Ogres in their forest camp. Moriartus gathered a pouch of sandy, fiery grains which were later Identified as potentially being able to conduct 'an audience' with someone or him in particular? A necromancer of Set.

"While you were absent, two cultists of Nergal were punished on the public gibbets. The church hierarchy may know more for they had been tortured so.

https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 67#p665767

If you have an interest in more 'death cult' information gathering, the church is the better source specific knowledge.

"I am glad the soap scent neutraliser worked, at least on the bees. I must conduct my own 'masking' experiments." He has a few ideas to work on. He shares recently regarding being able to lift a curse on a man who took on zombie form, wondering if the reverse was possible, not as a curse to afflict someone, but rather a disguise or blessing?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by Jernau35 »

Hake

Hake visits the tower to try and meet with Mazzah. His intent is to ask for any information the wizard may have about life draining undead. He brings with him the letter of introduction from Moriartus.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by Spearmint »

The Tower of Mazzah

The mage receives Perseverance Hake. Listening to your enquiry he suggests that you team up with Cadeweed who has borrowed one of his notebooks that has basic information on Wights.

He takes the note and inspects the Wight heart, create alarmed by its rotting and decayed appearance. He puts a stethoscope to it to see if a heartbeat can still be heard deep within. Certainly he can use it as a compound element in his magic research. He has check the very first page a laboratory attached to his residence. You are in the house not adjacent tower. He explains that certain characters assist him in experimental research in return for using the laboratory to conduct their own research, some of which involves focussing on Undead in particular.

As you have been to the church (or going afterwards), a lot of advice is cross referenced.

The draining of life energy (experience levels) is extra to the physical damage inflicted. A 7th level cleric spell named Restoration is needed to reverse energy drain, a spell that even Vicar Othar is not capable of appropriating. However such wonders are not denied to those who can invest proper time and study to become apostolic in that singular gift.

He turns it back to you, suggesting that unless the alchemists can make a potion breakthrough, that ability might only be granted via piety and Ygg favour.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by Spearmint »

The Tower of Mazzah

At different points during downtime, Cadeweed, Moriartus & Perseverance Hake have all visited Mazzah, enquiring on similar lines in regard to cult activity and Undead, specifically 'energy draining' types.

He shares relatively the same information with each of you so that you can combine any research or intelligence to improve knowledge or experience in those fields. (please read the above threads where you each visit).

He will take the Wight heart organ and commit to using it in some study. I will roll his research in the same random way outlined for new spell creation or magic research from the Of Magic ruleset He will come back to you once any arcane breakthrough in necromantic areas are achieved.

Actions any questions or comments to him please.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#250 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Hearing on the grapevine that Maxzah the Magnificent is buying Undead organs such as hearts and dessicated body parts for 'anti-ghoul' paralysis lotions and potions, I will arrive and hopefully show him the sacked up dead Wight.

"A little trampled but in whole condition. Brains, heart, spleen. How much?

I could even get you an undead zombie buffalo if you really wanted a still living undead to experiment upon!?"

He gets straight to the point rather than pussyfoot around niceties.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#251 Post by Spearmint »

The Tower of Mazzah

July 10th

As far as the Undead buffaloes brought into the village, they will be used as archery target practise and then burned on a pyre

Mazzah has just recently been given a pickled Wight heart and now takes the trampled Wight body, saving it from the Chapel's mortuary autopsy and subsequent burning to ashes. He will offer 30gp, which may seem a paltry amount but then there are not many interested parties wanting to secure Undead corpses.

He will add it to his collection of rare and exotic spell components which also gives those currently apprenticed to his alchemy studies a boost in their own spell and potion research.

He has yet to make a specific breakthrough in this focus area (anti-level draining magics) so you will have to enquire some weeks later should his experiments prive successful.

He suggests to Golgarth that Cadeweed and Perseverance Hake have also expressed interest in necromancy/level draining undead/wraith forms and there might be value in combining knowledge to greater effect.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#252 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Once back in his lab at the wizards tower, Sven introduces Mazzah to his new friend, Gargyx.

"What do you make of this little fellow, Master M?"

"He seems quite sharp and doesn't share the unpleasant disposition of his usual kin."

"He even wants to learn to Read Magic, isn't that right Gargyx?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#253 Post by Spearmint »

Gargoyle reactions: Mazzah [1d100]=98

He is very impressed. "The apprentice is soon to become the Master it seems!"

Gargyx takes to the stone tower laboratory that perches precariously in the adjacent tree by the Mage's residence.

Mazzah makes an offer. He can host Gargyx and teach him basic mage stuff (plus in his mind, having a Gargoyle will be a middle finger to the local vicar and LK) and in return he can teach you Dispell Magic

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#254 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven shrugs.

"Sure....I guess........Can I still take him with us into the dungeon?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#255 Post by Spearmint »

Mazzah

"Well it might take him away from the rigours and dangers of that accursed place to provide a quieter more scholarly, aesthetic lifestyle gazing at the night stars.

Why don't we ask the gargoyle himself."

Gargoyle reactions: with Mazzah [1d100]=12

I guess that's a no.

Okay, he can't convince the Gargoyle to switch allegiances but is fine with him about as you vouch for his actions.

With levelling up, he will mentor you in a spell of choice, though you would bear the gold piece cost of learning it.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#256 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven shrugs and nods his head.

"Okay. Maybe he will come around to you eventually. He didn't like us immediately either, if I recall correctly."

He winks at the gargoyle. "How long do your kind live anyway, Gargax? Do you know?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#257 Post by Spearmint »

The Tower of Mazzah

Mazzah can't convince Gargyx to stay at the tower, the gargoyle preferring to keep accompanying Sven upon his adventures (much to Smokie's jealousy).

You touch base, intending a quick turnaround which may curtail equipping any new spells to your repertoire.
"How long do your kind live anyway, Gargax? Do you know?"
Centuries probably? They are a stone or earth based creature with an enchanted origin. They don't reproduce but come into existence under arcane or divine influence. They eat and drink for sustenance but could theoretically go into a motionless stasis that could 'freeze' them, statuesque for an inordinate amount of time.

Traditionally, Gargoyles are seen as evil and capricious creatures but Gargyx presents a pacifistic nature. There are different Gargoyle types. Some live underwater as Kopacinth, others are bigger with multiple limbs and greater innate spell casting ability.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#258 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven pats his rocky friend on the head.

“Then I have decided which way to go with my new magical studies. I want to learn how to empower someone with the ability to Fly.”

“If we can’t get your wings back, I’d say this is the next best thing.”

He looks up hopefully at Mazzah.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#259 Post by Spearmint »

"Well as it happens, I trialled some Fly dynamics, what with the Harpy babe fluttering around the tower and flapping after the Owl and Pussycat."

Mazzah boasts of his own newly acquired spell which he can mentor you in (assuming the level up is obtained while in downtown). The material compound cost would be 300gp and take two uninterrupted study days to complete.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#260 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven shows Master M the 3 new canopic jars they found.

"Do you want to look these over with me to see what you think? You normally seem to have a good notion as to the worth of their grisly contents."

Return to “Settlement: Helix”