[ARCHIVE] 02 - The Hunt Begins

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 02 - The Hunt Begins

#81 Post by NJWilliam »

Reaching the East bank, Arot looks about for signs of any humanoids or dangerous animals, and then for a large rock, root, branch, or other fixed object to which he can tie the rope.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#82 Post by Blazeguard »

Filibert begins collecting all the driftwood that he can see and reach.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#83 Post by mithrandir138 »

Arot’s WIS check (for “perception”): [1d20] = 4

Oh, man... this isn’t good..

Arot searches and unfortunately, he does not see the crocodiles in the water.

Oh, man, Filbert --- I am sorry. I rolled well, and your size hurts you here.

Attack: [1d20+5] = 17+5 = 22
Bite damage: [2d4] = 8

While Filbert is gathering wood out of the river, a crocodile who was hiding in the debris lunges out of the water, bites Filbert, holds on, and drags him under the water.

Two other crocodiles make their way onto the bank and approach the party while hissing. Their breath brings the smell of rotting meat. They snap their jaws and ready for a meal!

Actions? (I will roll initiative once everyone states their actions, only roll attacks and damage.)

Filbert, you must make a grappling attack roll to break free from the crocodile. Since you are “small” and the crocodile is “medium” you take a -2 to your roll (which, offset by your level means 1d20 - 1. Also make a STR check for swimming to get away (this will take 1 round).

The crocodiles got a surprise round, but all they did was grab the poor halfling into the drink and two come ashore.

C1: Is in the water, and has Filbert in his jaws, and is trying to drown him. He will be doing his “death roll” soon (Google it if you are unfamiliar).
C2: Came ashore, and is approaching the group.
C3: Came ashore, and is approaching the group.

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#84 Post by Blazeguard »

Aaa...glug...glug

Grappling Attack Roll: [1d20-1] = 4-1 = 3 Man, I just can't catch a break.
STR Check: [1d20] = 13

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by max_vale »

Moving as quickly as he can; Vax whips out his sling and puts a bullet in its 'pocket'. Stepping away from the approaching crocs; he takes aim at the one with Filibert in its jawas and zips a bullet at the big reptile....

Attack Roll: +2 due to DEX 16 (Prime): [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4

OOC: Sorry Blaze; looks like the Dice only love the DM so far....:(

moorcrys
Strider
Strider

#86 Post by moorcrys »

Embiri, wide-eyed at how quickly the situation has grown dangerous, will unleash a color spray on the approaching crocodiles if he can do so without hitting any party members. If that is impossible, he will attempt to conjure the silent image of a slightly lame and bleeding stag in front of the crocs which limp-bounds away from the party in the 50' cube area of the spell in the hope of distracting the beasts with an easier meal.

Mondego
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#87 Post by Mondego »

Yorick draws his sword and attacks the nearest of the crocodiles.

OOC: I am assuming that the 2 approaching crocs are in between Yorick and Filbert. If there is a way to attack the one that attacked Filbert then that is the target.

To hit: [1d20+3] = 1+3 = 4, damage with sword: [1d8+2] = 2+2 = 4

Looks like the dice are also against me….

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#88 Post by Vargr1105 »

Without a word, and with sword and shield in hand, Alias steps up to give the nearest reptile a taste of his blade.

To hit with broadsword: [1d20+1] = 8+1 = 9, damage [2d4+1] = 5+1 = 6

ooc: Man...I think mithrandir has jinxed the dice roller against the party or something. :)

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#89 Post by mithrandir138 »

The party hears a rustling in the overgrowth to the south, and then persistent barking and howling. Almost instantly a small pack of 4 wolf-like dogs appear around the party. One of them runs to the shore of the river and seems to disappear at the edge of the water and magically reappears in the water next to the thrashing crocodile who appears to be mauling a halfling.

When dog reappears, you can see its ears are folded back, it is showing its teeth, and using its momentum to plunge its body under the water in the direction of the crocodile.

Attack (Bite): [1d20+4] = 16+4 = 20
Damage: [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4

The remaining dogs show their fangs and begin to growl at the crocodiles on the shore and position themselves around them as if they are readying an attack with the party. The party can tell the dogs mean business by the way their hair on their back is standing on end.

Proving again that It pays to have a good character backstory and DM who doesn't want to kill a player in the first combat because of the effort put into it. :)

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#90 Post by Dogma »

Sorry Blaze...guess the raft wasn't such a good idea after all

"now this is more like it...a desparate fight at the ford, the suspense of the unknown fate of the half long, the sudden rescue by unknown allies. This will make a good song." He says as he sights his bow and fires at the crocs. "Just what am I going to rhyme with 'crocodile' though?

Short bow:to hit [1d20] = 4, damage [1d6] = 4

and the curse of the dice roller strikes again!

jdluna
Guide
Guide

#91 Post by jdluna »

Luna raises his hand and wispers the words to cast Magic Missle at the croc that is trying to drown Filibert. He hopes to at least shock the creature into releasing him.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#92 Post by mithrandir138 »

Wow, there are a lot of people in this game, and there's a lot going in here :)

Combat Resolution:
The decimal after your initiative is your DEX score, it helps me resolve ties.

Initiative:
Filibert: [1d10] = 5.14 | Yorick: [1d10] = 2.14 | Arot: [1d10] = 6.10 | Tomas: [1d10] = 5.10
Alias: [1d10] = 5.15 | Embiri: [1d10] = 1.9 | Vax: [1d10] = 6.16 | Luna [1d10] = 2.11
Blink Dogs: [1d10] = 2
BD1: Attacking C1, trying to free Filbert
BD2: Growling at Crocodiles
BD3: Growling at Crocodiles
BD4: Growling at Crocodiles

Crocodiles: [1d10] = 3
C1: In the water, chomping on Filbert
C2: Ashore approaching the group
C3: Ashore approaching the group

Actions, in order:

Vax:
Vax flings a projectile from his sling, aiming at C1 in the water, but unfortunately misses.

Arot:
Arot stands on the far side of the river watching this all transpire.
Sorry, I didn’t get an action from you, but I had to move on.

Alias:
Without a word, and with sword and shield in hand, Alias steps up to give Crocodile C2 a taste of his blade. Unfortunately, the Crocodile jerks out of the way, and Alias’ sword does not meet flesh.

Filbert:
Filbert panics as he tries to break free from the maw of the crocodile, but struggles in vain.

Tomas:
While Tomas ponders how this is finally turning into an adventure that he may be able to get new songs or poems out of, he knocks an arrow and shoots at C1, trying to free the halfling. Unfortunately he shoots into the water just beside his quarry.
You didn’t specify a target, so I figured you were trying to help out Filbert.

Crocodiles:
C1 Already took his action, I won’t give the crocodiles a full surprise round, because I want you guys to live ;)

C2 Swiftly retaliates against Alias’ attempt at his life: Bite against 15 AC: [1d20+3] = 13+3 = 16
Damge [2d4] = 7
OUCH
Alias is bitten and taken down to the ground by the crocodile and is now unconscious.

C3 is simultaneously trying to attack Alias because he was closest, but when the other crocodile took him down, he missed. (I am not going to roll that)

Yorick:
Yorick draws his sword and makes his way to C2, but swings too late to hit the crocodile before moves to attack Alias.

Luna:
Luna holds an outstretched hand and mutters incantations as a missile of arcane origin leaps from his hand and strikes the crocodile in the water (C1).
Magic Missile damage: [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3

Embiri:
Embiri makes a gesture with his hands, speaks an incantation, and begins to concentrate as an image of a bleeding deer appears in the vicinity of the crocodiles C2 and C3 and is facing them. It begins to dance around as if trying to escape.

Crocodile C2 releases Alias from his maw and Crocodile C3 begins to look like he is going to go after the deer.

Blink Dog Pack:
Appear on the scene as described above.
BD1: Runs towards the water and blinks out of existence shortly before the magic missile hit the crocodile in the water, blinks back into existence and appears in the water lunging at the crocodile. It bites and also takes advantage of its force of momentum to deal additional damage (4 HP as described above).

BD2 - 4: Are also distracted by the deer and start yelping, but hesitate running towards the deer.
---

Luckily, Crocodile C1 having been zapped with magical energy, pounced upon, and bitten, lets go of Filbert as it is dying. Unfortunately Filbert struggles in the water, is disoriented, and is unable to make it further away from the crocodile who's life is fading to blackness.

We have two uninjured crocodiles that are enamored with the sight of an injured deer, as well as a small pack of blink dogs who also like the sight of this.

Alias is bleeding out on the ground. Arot is on the other side of the river with his mouth agape at what is transpiring quickly before him.

Next round’s actions?

jdluna
Guide
Guide

#93 Post by jdluna »

how far is Filibert in the water? Can I wade in and pull him out?

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#94 Post by mithrandir138 »

jdluna wrote:how far is Filibert in the water? Can I wade in and pull him out?
You can get out there to him in 1 round, but I need a STR check for swimming in the current. He's going to start moving with the current.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#95 Post by NJWilliam »

Arot quickly loops the rope around something nearby if possible, before diving back in and making his way to the crocodiles trying to eat his companions.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#96 Post by Dogma »

Tomas will run along the bank and try to get ahead of Filibert as he floats down stream. Just in case the others miss grabbing him, he wants to get in position for a second attempt.

moorcrys
Strider
Strider

#97 Post by moorcrys »

Enviro Embiri will continue to concentrate on the image of the deer for as long as its useful, then he will step back and away from the crocs.

Really autocorrect? :-/
Last edited by moorcrys on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#98 Post by Blazeguard »

Filibert, feeling the croc let go of him, tries to right himself and head for the surface. As his head breaks above the water, he tries to make for the shore while at the same time trying to conserve his energy (not knowing how seriously he is hurt). Seeing Tomas running along the bank he will try to angle towards the shore, letting the current carry him as much as possible.

jdluna
Guide
Guide

#99 Post by jdluna »

Seeing Filibert moving towards the shore, Luna scuttles hit attempt to rescue him from the current.

Mondego
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#100 Post by Mondego »

Yorick Positions himself between Filibert and the crocodiles ready to fend them off if necessary.

Return to “C&C - A0: The Rising Knight”