The Tomb of Demara

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

Re: The Tomb of Demara

#61 Post by mithrandir138 »

Alright, it seems like you would like to battle the gnolls.... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am7nsxKeazk

The rest of you, just state your actions and make your attack and damage rolls. I will determine initiative for you.

Just a reminder, this is how combat works in 2e:

1. The DM decides what actions the monsters or NPCs will take, including casting spells (if any).
2. The players indicate what their characters will do, including casting spells (if any).
3. Initiative is determined.
4. Attacks are made in order of initiative.

I would like to keep the spirit of this and have you determine your actions before you know what your (or anyone else's) initiative is, so I will roll it for you.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#62 Post by Dogma »

'The only thing you will feast upon today is death!" cries Lordan as he strikes with his mace.

to hit [1d20] = 19, damage from mace [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7 Hell yeah! eat mace Hyena-spawn!

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#63 Post by Blazeguard »

Slinker slips just inside the doorway and slides sideways trying to get a clear shot at the gnolls. He draws his bow and takes aim at the nearest gnoll.

Initiative [1d10] = 8
To Hit (Bow) [1d20] = 4 Crap!!
Damage [1d8] = 2

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#64 Post by Distorted Humor »

(OOC - do I get another chance at attack, or are we still on round one where my wiff is my action.)

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by max_vale »

Morganth steps just inside the room and then off to one side; well away from the melee. He clutches his staff tightly in one hand and his spell components in the other; waiting to see if either is needed in the fight....

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by mithrandir138 »

Distorted Humor wrote:(OOC - do I get another chance at attack, or are we still on round one where my wiff is my action.)
Still on first round.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#67 Post by mithrandir138 »

Sorry, guys -- to make it fair to everyone, I am re-rolling initiatives. Sorry I didn't make it very clear beforehand that I was rolling those. Please don't revolt.
The decimal after your roll is your DEX score, it helps me resolve ties. I also roll multiple initiatives at once to make it easier on myself.

Initiative Rolls:
Slinker: [1d10] = 1.15 | Lordan: [1d10] = 3.9 | Beldar: [1d10] = 10.12
Silverleaf: [1d10] = 4.13 | Morganth: [1d10] = 5.11
Gnolls: [1d10] = 6

Beldar:
Beldar runs into the room to attack the first Gnoll (G1). He takes a swing with his longsword but the Gnoll jukes out of the way before it can land. Beldar didn't notice, but his foot was dangerously close to damaged flooring when he swung his weapon.
Saving throw: [1d20] = 6 DOH!
He swung with great force, and when he didn't connect, the floor gave way and his foot fell through the floor, twisting it, and causing him to fall prone.
Damage: [1d4] = 3

Gnolls:
Gnoll G1, having just dodged a close call with the fighter, gets another stroke of good luck as he watches the fighter fall before him. "HAHAHAHHA, looks like meat is back on the menu!" Sorry, I had to.
He brings his morningstar down on the fighter with both hands. You are lucky that there doesn't seem to be a rule in the book for bonuses against prone targets, I added a +1 to his roll for using both hands and, really, just for having a clear shot.
Attack: [1d20+1] = 16+1 = 17 Well, scratch that lucky comment, the bonus didn't matter.
Damage: [2d4] = 6

The morning star connects with Beldars chest with a dull thud. The spikes of the morningstar also poke and tear at his flesh.

Gnoll G2 starts laughing like a hyena at his cohort's joke and is distracted and takes no action.

Morganth:
Morganth steps into the room and sidesteps to the southeast corner of the room out of reach of any melee combat. He observes what has happened and starts thinking of a spell to cast to get his friends out of this mess.

Silverleaf:
Silverleaf steps in the room, sidesteps to the right draws his bow and takes aim at the laughing Gnoll G2 and fires. Unfortunately the arrow glances off of the Gnoll's shoulder armour. He immediately stops laughing and sneers back at Silverleaf and draws his sword.

Lordan:
Lordan rushes up the Gnoll G1 and cries "The only thing you will feast upon today is death!" and swings his mace at the Gnoll's head. His mace connects with a dull thud and the sound of cracking skull. As the gnoll's head spews blood and brain matter, his eyes roll back in his head, and he collapses like a rag doll onto the floor.

Slinker:
Slinker enters the room and sidesteps to the left. He tries to get a clear shot of Gnoll G2. He fires his bow but completely misses. The good news is he does not grab the attention of the gnoll, because he is focused on Silverleaf.

OK, so Beldar is horribly battered on the ground with a turned ankle. A dead Gnoll lays in the room with his brains falling out of his head with Lordan standing over him with a bloody mace. A pissed off Gnoll is sneering at Silverleaf and Morganth is in the corner going through the list of spells in his head. Silverleaf and Slinker have their bows drawn and are both still eyeing the pissed off Gnoll. Having seen what happened to Beldar, everyone is now aware of the damaged flooring and will be careful not to step on or close to any, so that's no longer a danger.

Next round's actions?

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#68 Post by Dogma »

Are you rolling initiative for each round or only once per combat?

Lordan raises his mace and menaces the remaining gnoll. "Throw down your weapon or suffer my wrath."

If the gnoll complies Lordan will hold his strike, if the gnoll takes offensive action he takes the swing.

to hit [1d20] = 7, damage [1d6] = 5 OK..so maybe its a bluff ;)

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#69 Post by mithrandir138 »

Dogma wrote:Are you rolling initiative for each round or only once per combat?
The rules say: "Each round initiative is rolled again to see which side attacks first that round."

So, I am doing that unless it gets too annoying, and hopefully no one notices that I did it in reverse order this time and all the rest will be in ascending order. Oops, I f*cked up.

If it gets annoying, we will do the "everyone states actions the first round and GM rolls initative. After initiative is determined, it's set for the rest of the combat (unless someone delays an action, etc.)

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#70 Post by Blazeguard »

The arrow barely left the bow as Slinker reaches for another arrow, but it gets caught among the others in his quiver and it takes him a couple seconds to untangle it. He nocks it on the bow, and lets fly again.

Initiative [1d10] = 2
To Hit [1d20] = 17
Damage (Bow) [1d8] = 3

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by max_vale »

OOC: Quick question due to the comment: -going through the list of spells in his head-; does this mean I can memorize more than 1 spell at a time? I.e. that I can cast ANY of the spells on the list on the PDF? I HAD memorized Sleep; but if I have options; I'll definitely cast Magic Missile....if not; then I'll take a swing with ye old Staff at the standing Gnoll. I'll post with this latter option taken; but will edit if I can cast spells other than Sleep

Morganth; angry at seeing his prone companion harmed and the hyena-headed monster laughing about it; sputters something unitelligble and takes a swing with his staff at the standing Gnoll....

Attack Roll: [1d20] = 3

....and accomplishes nothing....man Mithrandir; you've really got the dice rollers working against the players in your games, huh? :)

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#72 Post by mithrandir138 »

max_vale wrote:OOC: Quick question due to the comment: -going through the list of spells in his head-; does this mean I can memorize more than 1 spell at a time? I.e. that I can cast ANY of the spells on the list on the PDF? I HAD memorized Sleep; but if I have options; I'll definitely cast Magic Missile....if not; then I'll take a swing with ye old Staff at the standing Gnoll. I'll post with this latter option taken; but will edit if I can cast spells other than Sleep
The "going through the list of spells in his head" was more for hand waving and flavor. Honestly, as you can probably tell, I am playing this game kind of fast and loose. It's rules-light, and is more lighthearted/nostalgic/campy than my normal games (on purpose). If you want to cast Magic Missile this time, I won't get bent out of shape about it. But let's only do that this one time.
....and accomplishes nothing....man Mithrandir; you've really got the dice rollers working against the players in your games, huh? :)
It's not me, man, I swear. Apparently I am the DM who is trying to kill his players today. It's not my fault, but I have to admit it's funny :)

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#73 Post by Distorted Humor »

Do I loose a round getting up? or can i get up and attack?

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#74 Post by mithrandir138 »

Distorted Humor wrote:Do I loose a round getting up? or can i get up and attack?
Yes, you can get up and attack. Sorry, I didn't respond for a while. I will try to stay on top of this a little better. It's been a busy week.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#75 Post by Dogma »

No worries, man. Happens to all of us at some point or another.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#76 Post by mithrandir138 »

Round 2 Combat Resolution:
The decimal after your initiative is your DEX score, it helps me resolve ties.

Initiative:
Silverleaf: [1d10] = 7.13 | Morganth: [1d10] = 7.11
Slinker: [1d10] = 6.15 | Lordan: [1d10] = 3.9 | Beldar: [1d10] = 8.12
Gnolls : [1d10] = 3

Actions, in order:

Gnolls:
G1: (dead)
G2: Charges up to a swing at Silverleaf (unluckily for you, he has patrolled this place very well and knows where weak and broken floorboards are)
Attack with Morningstar: [1d20] = 12 - Damage: [2d4] = 2 Man, you are lucky!

Silverleaf almost jolts out of the way, and the Gnoll makes glancing contact with his shoulder.

Lordan:
Lordan raises his mace and menaces the remaining gnoll. "Throw down your weapon or suffer my wrath." However, the Gnoll doesn’t acknowlege him. Lordan approaches and swings at the swiftly moving gnoll (G2) and misses.

Slinker:
The arrow barely left the bow as Slinker reaches for another arrow. He keeps a bead on the Gnoll, nocks it on the bow, and lets fly the arrow sinks into the Gnoll’s back. (3 damage)

Morganth:
Morganth; angry at seeing his prone companion harmed and the hyena-headed monster laughing about it; sputters something unitelligble and takes a swing with his staff at the standing Gnoll, but misses when the Gnoll winces at jerks because of the arrow that just hit his back.

Silverleaf:
Winces in pain and clutches his arm.
Sorry, I didn’t see an action from you, and it’s been a while.

Beldar:
Beldar stumbles to his feet, readies his sword, and charges in a dead run to the back of Gnoll (G2) and puts his weight behind a stab with his sword:
Stabbing sword, charging: [1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17 Added some bonuses for attacking from behind and charging. Not a rule, a ruling from your tardy GM.
Damage: [1d8+3] = 4+3 = 7

The sword impales the gnoll as blood spurts out of his mouth and onto Silverleaf. :) To add insult to injury, the air rushes out of the gnoll’s lungs and his acrid breath also sputters into Silverleaf’s face, and it collapses in front of him.

The room is now clear of all living enemies. What do you do?

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#77 Post by Blazeguard »

Slinker retrieves his arrows and then begins looting the bodies of the gnolls. Once he finishes that, he checks the room for traps or secret doors. "Watch your step everyone. We don't need any twisted ankles...or worse."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by max_vale »

Morganth stands over the body of the gnoll who just fell to the ground in a heap after the stab by Beldar and after a brief pause, he wacks the body sharply in the back of the head with his staff. "Hmmph....filthy hyena-headed monstrosity; THAT'LL teach you!"

Surveying his companions and the room; Morganth then moves to help Slinker search the room.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#79 Post by Distorted Humor »

Thanks - we have had some nasty flooding where I live (Boone/Ashe County North Carolina) and I been dealing with that sort of stuff.

Seems the dice roller likes you more then me.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#80 Post by Dogma »

Lordan will see if Beldar needs healing and if so will cast cure light wound.

Return to “AD&D 2e - First Quest Box”