Spider Silk

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Spider Silk

#181 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Happy to recover slightly from his wounds. He renews his daily spell list after praying again at the shrine he has erected. (Put in my sheet).

So my understanding is the chalk cliff extends about half a mile in a NW direction and at ground level there are horizontal mine shafts excavated into the cliff.

So the first tunnel had a junction to a darker, smellier passage and the other led to small waterfall which had an open area above it. Did we note any other creatures about as cave dwellers apart from spiders. Could we catch the same spiders again if we only need enough for three more spools worth? For myself, I think we should prioritise spiders over more exploring but I am fine with pressing deeper into the tunnel networks.

And we plan to return to Helix for the evening.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#182 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

deducts one day's ration and yawns cosily as he surfaces from fuzzy sleep to face a new day in this mystic wood. "Ah, what peculiar wonders the world is full of. What might we face today ?"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight spies the idol of Cromm and nods. "Nice handiwork."

He finds the sun and starts his morning prayers. After he finishes he discusses plans.

"Glad to see everyone up and alive this morning. Good call on the shacks. I'd like to get back to Helix this evening as well, so let's focus on the task. When everyone is ready, let's go back to the cliff and see if we can catch any exterior spiders."

He shades his eyes from the sun and the white cliff to scan the area and the top of the cliff. He goes to check on the others. "Everyone ok this morning? No overnight problems?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Urson »

Mai ronin
Are we all fit and ready for another day of struggle with spiders? If we are not, I would suggest we go back now- this would be a poor and ignoble place to die.
FA FO

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by Spearmint »

April 30th 1066.

Cabins in the quarry.

After midnight: 08.00am
Weather: Cloudy, light rain.
Light: Torch carried by Solly. Lantern by Mai.

Conditions: Golgarth -2hp, Sir Dewey -5hp

let me know if you use any more healing spells, prayers or the last of the healing bandages

The team assess each other. No problems reported, no gripes, a little tiredness. A suggestion made to scout the chalk cliff for silk spiders has been made. It has no dissenters, so I will go with that.

Scanning the white rock face, the group see lots of crevices and hidey holes those each seems to have been vacated. You test pull a few silky threads to see if you can tempt a lurking spider to reveal itself. You wander eastwards along the face of the cliff, passing two more dark and dingy mine shafts cut horizontally into the chalk rock.

After an hour you come to the far side of the cliff where the forest fringe cuts closer to the quarry floor. Something seems to disturb the denizens of the forest as suddenly a flock of black carrion birds take flight and some baboons squeal alarmingly. You cannot see what it who it is and the forest becomes quiet silent.

Various bits of undergrowth could double as cover if you wanted to hide or you can sneak into the treeline or as brave warriors who fear naught, you can stand your ground in the open.

next actions please

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

"I will sneak to the treeline to see what is causing the denizens of the forest to react." Cadeweed says as move quick and quietly through the undergrowth towards the treeline with his sling at the ready.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#187 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

follows

Cadeweed

dagger ready. "Hmm these ferns look edible" he opines while dodging sections of undergrowth.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Urson »

Mai
Mai looks around. Seeing no better place, she stands her ground. Her sword is in her hand as she waits.
FA FO

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

He motions for Mai and others to find some cover in the undergrowth. "If it's those gnolls, I'm not sure we're up for a fight. Let's observe if we can."

The Knight will try to find some cover as well, trying to keep the party safe.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#190 Post by Darithe »

Follows the directions of Sir Dewey, since he probably has more experience in such things, keeping her eyes open for trouble.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#191 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Would not see Mai exposed in the open alone so he braces himself for trouble next to her.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Spearmint »

April 30th 1066.

Cabins in the quarry.

After midnight: 09.10am

After a few minutes of tension, the forest echoes to the sound of grunting and rooting then emerging from the treeline comes a large semi-naked figure. He must stand at least nine feet tall and his girth several wide. His bald head is hunched between huge billowing shoulders that saddle his back and his thick neck must be wider than most humans waists. He bears a huge spiked club with which he threshes his way through the dense foilage then stops, surprised to see two gawking figures staring back at him in the middle of the quarry.

Golgarth and Mai at least face off against the ogre as everyone else sneaks undercover.

actions please

Attachments
Quarry ogre
Quarry ogre
Dnd_ogre.jpg (20.01 KiB) Viewed 578 times

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Cadeweed will quietly put away his sling and draw his sword all while hiding. Cadeweed is waiting for the ogre to move past his position so that he can quietly move up behind and back stab the Ogre.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#194 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

whispers to Cadeweed in his tiniest, most hushed up gnome voice as possible: "Psst - what if I engulf Gogarth and Mai in darkness?"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

He sighs as the ogre appears. "Is that worse than gnolls? I can't decide."

The Knight steps out into the clearing near Mai and Golgarth. "Get ready to run. I hope he speaks common..."

He raises his hand and calls to the Orge. "Hail! We mean no harm! Come, talk!" He waves the Ogre forward in a friendly manner.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#196 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

quickly rethinks his tactics - no use hiding comrades in darkness once they've declared their presence. Instead, Cosmo refocuses on the ogre as a potential spell target, depending on how Sir Dewey's approach plays out.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#197 Post by Darithe »

Hangs back readying her spell should the conversation take an untoward turn.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#198 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Gulps at the size of the monstrosity. His faith strengthens him though, knowing his forefathers and patriarchs felled such creatures in their quests to civilise the frontiers.

"No mountain high enough." he states, speaking a Cruach proverb as he intercedes and attacks (rather feebly), if it steps closer to threaten us.

Golgarth Warhammer melee [1d20]=3 damage [1d8]=7

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Urson »

Mai Ronin
Mai is repelled by the sight of this creature, but shakes it off. She takes a defensive posture, her sword held low but ready.
FA FO

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Spearmint »

April 30th 1066.

Cabins in the quarry.

After midnight: 09.15am

In very much a repeat of your first encounter with the carnivorous mandrills, the warrior-priest Golgarth impetuously flails his arms to little effect and the others prep for action, hoping conflict may be avoided.

Sir Dewey announces his presence,
He raises his hand and calls to the Orge. "Hail! We mean no harm! Come, talk!" He waves the Ogre forward in a friendly manner.
Ogre reaction to Sir Dewey [1d100]=51

You get an uncertain response from the huge figure. He halts on the edge of the quarry and at least initial doesn't swish his spiked club any more. The creature looks around for more concealed people in the undergrowth spotting the tattooed Sigrid but completely unaware of the Hobbit and Gnome by his heels.

Cadeweed hides [1d100]=10.

The creatures grunts, pounds his chest with a strongarm. what is it with these forest denizens that they have to preen themselves to dominate territory?

"No talk. Eat." it grunts.

actions please

Return to “Completed Expeditions”