-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: I. Starter Dungeon

#2 Post by dmw71 »

Your guide, a mangy young girl with wild hair, halts her scurrying then peers around a tree.

Guide Girl.jpg
Guide Girl.jpg (67.26 KiB) Viewed 807 times

"Ma and Pa said never to go in there," she squeaks, pointing to a natural cave entrance peeking out at the foot of a small, forested hill:

Cave Kopa.jpg
Cave Kopa.jpg (82.88 KiB) Viewed 807 times

"They'll kill me if they find out Kopa got away again, so will you please get my cat back for me?" she pleads to the entire group, but she tugs innocently at the leg of Rawani, apparently finding it easier to establish comfort with a fellow female.

This will at least get you started.

Any questions meant for me should be asked in the OOC topic. Any questions for the girl should ideally be role-played in character.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Rawani

Rawani kneels down next to the girl. "What does you cat look like? Any idea why your Ma and Pa don't like the cave?"

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by kalstone »

Holliss

"Don't worry, little one. We'll find your missing cat." He leans against a tree branch, which promptly breaks. He barely manages to catch himself before he falls to the ground.

He peers into the cave, looking for any traces of heat.

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Lance »

Haelan leans over Rawani slightly "And what is your Kopa's temperament? Can it be easily compelled, maybe with food?"

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

The Start
A deviation off the planned route, and a brief but heavy rainstorm, led to the group getting lost. After spotting an unfamiliar small, forested hill, the group had been using it as a landmark to avoid getting even further turned around.

One night had passed and the completely foreign surrounding suggests the group is no closer to finding their way.

The Girl
The girl -- name still unknown -- was the first meaningful interaction since becoming lost.

Likely a year or two short of reaching double-digit years in age, the girl is young. And dirty; with wild, unkempt hair and layers of dirt coating her skin and under her fingernails. Her tanned skin suggests she spends significant time outdoors.

The girl approached the group without hesitation or fear, grabbing Rawani's hand without saying a word, and began pulling her off the group's current course, into the brush, and in the direction of the forested hill they had been following. A startling, but seemingly innocent encounter that seemed relatively harmless.

Absent another option, and under the context that the girl may be able to lead them back to a civilized area, the group unwittingly followed.

Until reaching the current location outside the cave, "Follow me," had been the extent of any conversation, but at least the feral-looking girl was verbal.

The Request
"Will you please get my cat back for me?"

Polite.

With the girl stranger having clung to Rawani, the acrobat assumes the 'matriarch' role in the situation.

"What does your cat look like?" Rawani starts; kneeling down next to the girl, closely matching her height.

The girl extends her right hand forward, palm down, and holds it roughly waist-high, roughly a foot or two above the ground.

"Any idea why your Ma and Pa don't like the cave?" the acrobat follows. "Too young," she replies with a disgruntled huff.

Haelan leans over Rawani slightly. "And what is your Kopa's temperament? Can it be easily compelled, maybe with food?" The girl seems confused by the question, likely unsure what some of the larger words mean... until hearing the word "food." "Kopa likes meat," she says excitedly.

"Don't worry, little one. We'll find your missing cat." Holliss says confidently, leaning against a tree branch, which promptly breaks, sending a nearby flock of birds to launch from their perches and take flight.

The clumsy elf peers into the cave, looking for any traces of heat. A fair distance -- maybe 50 feet -- exists between the group's current location and the cave entrance, but the mouth of the cave glows faintly, as well as sections on the floor, just beyond the entrance. A closer inspection will be required for any definitive answers, but the heat signatures are likely vines or other native plant life or vegetation.

Again, from the distance, it's difficult to make out any specifics, but Arbal, examining the wet ground in front of the cave, can clearly make out the fact that it is trafficked area.

Buzar silently watches the going-on.

"Need to be home by nightfall," the girl states. "You hurry?"

Actions?

Character Status
Holliss (M) (Elf 1) | AC: 3/4 | HP: 4 | Damage: 1d6 | Move: 60’ (20’)
Languages: Native, Elvish | Spells/Skills: 1st: 1 Light

Haelan (M) (Cleric 1) | AC: 4/5 | HP: 4 | Damage: 1d6 | Move: 60’ (20’)
Languages: Native | Spells/Skills: Turn Undead

Rawani (F) (Acrobat 1), AC: 7 | HP: 2 | Damage: 1d6 | Move: 90’ (30’)
Languages: Native | Spells/Skills: Acrobat Skills

Arbal (~) (Illusionist 1) | AC: 8/9 | HP: 3 | Damage: 1d4 | Move: 120’ (40’)
Languages: Native, +2 | Spells/Skills: 1st: 1 Colour Spray

Buzar (M) (Half-Orc 1) | AC: 4/5 | HP: 3 | Damage: 1d6 | Move: 60’ (20’)
Languages: Native, Orcish | Spells/Skills: Thief Skills

Time & Weather
CY 1011, 4th Day of Planting @ 16:54
Sunrise: 7:08 Sunset: 19:39
Conditions: Wet, Muddy, Humid

Experience Points
Holliss (+5%): 0 of 4,000 for 2nd
Haelan (+15%): 0 of 1,500 for 2nd
Rawani (+10%): 0 of 1,200 for 2nd
Arbal (--): 0 of 2,500 for 2nd
Buzar (+7%): 0 of 1,800 for 2nd

Light Sources
Natural
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Rawani

"You should stay in the middle of us little one."
Rawani will light a torch and lead the way into the cave.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by thirdkingdom »

Arnaldo Hus

Arbal looks doubtful at the idea of bringing the little girl into the cave. "What's your name," they ask, "and do you live nearby?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Rawani

"I am concerned if we chase something out of the cave like a spider she would be an easy meal. At least in the middle of us she is somewhat protected."

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by thirdkingdom »

Rex wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:02 pm Rawani

"I am concerned if we chase something out of the cave like a spider she would be an easy meal. At least in the middle of us she is somewhat protected."
Arbal Hus

"That is sound reasoning," Arbal concedes.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by kalstone »

Holliss

"Don't worry, little girl," Holliss says, holding his hand out for a sparrow to land on. "I will keep you as safe as this wee bird."

He tries to pet the bird, but accidentally crushes it. He quickly puts his hands behind his back before she sees it.

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Lance »

Haelan looks around "Either way, let's get going, we don't know how much walking we have to do before nightfall, let alone more strenuous activity."

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by VonAlric »

Buzar

"You're right, Haelan. We should take care of this now and not dawdle." His cheerful smile breaks out as he turns to the others. "Hey, Rawani. Could you wait just a moment or two before coming into the cave with that torch? This gives Holliss and me a chance to see in the dark a bit better at first. M'kay?"

Buzar will take a few quick steps into the cave and look around for any signs of recent creatures passing into the passageway.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Rawani

"Sure, let me know when you are set and I will follow in with the torch."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

I will try to update this game again tomorrow.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by dmw71 »

The Girl

"You should stay in the middle of us, little one," Rawani says as she begins to fish for her tinder box and a torch from her backpack. "Oh, I can't go in there..." the girl says, pointing at the cave. "My ma and pa won't let me, remember?"

"That's why I ask you to go,"
she clarifies. "I'll be fine out here by myself." she adds confidently; speaking with a level of confidence uncharacteristic of someone her age. The girl clearly seems to have a strong sense of independence, but also a willingness to obey orders.

"You will help me, right?" she pleads after a brief pause, tugging at the leg of the acrobat.

The Cave

As the negotiations with the girl take place, Buzar approaches the cave entrance. Wet dirt sloshes beneath his boots as he traverses the damp, muddy terrain, but the half-orc is able to safely cross the 50-foot distance between the group's current location and the cave itself.

The general area just outside the cave entrance show signs of animal tracks of various sizes in both directions. Most of the prints are smaller; likely left behind by a rodent or small woodland creature. Other tracks, however, are significantly larger -- in the size and shape of a bear!

The previously spotted heat signatures at the mouth of the cave are now confirmed by Buzar to be vines, and moss, and other native vegetation which decorate the face of the hill and the mouth of the cave itself.

The foot of the cave is also home to wild patches of mushrooms and toadstools. The fungi in the area vary in --

...size...
A significant majority of them are normal-sized, but some specimens outside the cave rise in stature to almost the knee of the half-orc scout.

...shape...
The various specimens possess different shapes as well; with some stalks or stems extending straight vertically while others twist and bend in odd shapes. Their caps vary as well, with most resembling an opened umbrella or parasol, but a few are more pointed with much sharper peaks.

...color...
A majority of the patches of fungus reflect some shade of yellow, beige, or brown; but some have colorful caps, ranging from red to blue to green.

These patches of fungus spread out from the cave in either direction. They also continue inside the cave as well; lining the floor and lower portion of walls on either side of the tunnel as it plunges into the side of the hill.

Some fungus specimens inside the cave emit an almost florescent green glow, allowing the entrance to be dimly seen without a light source or inhuman dark sight.

The Tunnel

The slightly concave tunnel appears to have been naturally carved. By all appearances, it is quite old and stable.

While the walls do have some visible jagged sections, they are mostly dull with no obvious sharp edges anywhere.

Cracks in the stone line the floor in various spots, but it is otherwise smooth and level and even the cracks are obvious enough that they don't shouldn't present any restrictions or barriers to movement.

Patches of dirt coat the floor in sections, especially near the entrance.

The mouth of the passage begins at roughly 10-feet wide, but seems to narrow slightly the deeper it runs.

The rounded ceiling is also tallest near the entrance, where its height almost matches its width, but it, too, appears to tighten a bit the deeper it goes.

The tunnel slopes slightly downward as it extends from the mouth of the cave before bending out of view to the right after 30 or so feet.

---

Actions?

---

Time & Weather
CY 1011, 4th Day of Planting @ 16:56
Sunrise: 7:08 Sunset: 19:39
Conditions: Wet, Muddy, Humid

Character Status
Holliss (M) (Elf 1) | AC: 3/4 | HP: 4 | Damage: 1d6 | Move: 60’ (20’)
Languages: Native, Elvish | Spells/Skills: 1st: 1 Light

Haelan (M) (Cleric 1) | AC: 4/5 | HP: 4 | Damage: 1d6 | Move: 60’ (20’)
Languages: Native | Spells/Skills: Turn Undead

Rawani (F) (Acrobat 1), AC: 7 | HP: 2 | Damage: 1d6 | Move: 90’ (30’)
Languages: Native | Spells/Skills: Acrobat Skills

Arbal (~) (Illusionist 1) | AC: 8/9 | HP: 3 | Damage: 1d4 | Move: 120’ (40’)
Languages: Native, +2 | Spells/Skills: 1st: 1 Colour Spray

Buzar (M) (Half-Orc 1) | AC: 4/5 | HP: 3 | Damage: 1d6 | Move: 60’ (20’)
Languages: Native, Orcish | Spells/Skills: Thief Skills

Marching Order ( * = Infravision )

Infravision wrote:All non-human monsters and many demihuman races have a special kind of vision that allows them to see in the dark. This is called infravision.

Heat tones: Characters who have infravision can see the heat energy that radiates off of living things. Generally, living things will be visible as bright tones, while cool items are grey and very cold objects are black.

Reading: It is not possible to read in the dark with infravision, because fine detail cannot be perceived.

Range: Infravision works within a limited range (60’ for monsters, unless specified otherwise in a monster’s description).

Disruption: Infravision only functions in darkness. Visible light (normal or magical) and large heat sources will disrupt it.

1. Buzar *
  2. Holliss *
  3. Rawani
  4. Arbal
  5. Haelan

Light Sources
Torch: A torch burns for 1 hour (6 turns), clearly illuminating a 30’ radius.
Lantern: Can be closed to hide the light. Burns one oil flask every four hours (24 turns). Casts light in a 30’ radius.
  1. Natural
  2. Torch: Carried by Rawani (Status: Unlit)

Rounds
    ooooo ooooo -- 1 turn
    ooooo ooooo -- 2 turns
    ooooo ooooo -- 3 turns
    ooooo ooooo -- 4 turns
    ooooo ooooo -- 5 turns
    ooooo ooooo -- 6 turns
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

Rawani

"I won't force you child, be careful." She moves to the cave entrance with the others.

"I have never seen mushrooms like these before."

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by kalstone »

Holliss

Holliss moves forward to take a peak around the corner to the right.

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by VonAlric »

Buzar

Seeing the tracks along the ground, Buzar calls back with a somewhat hushed tone. "Looks like there might be a bear in here. Let's be careful." He pulls out his handaxe and moves down deeper into the cave. As he moves, he avoids the fungi and keeps an eye on it as he passes.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Return to “Dave's OSE Adventures (OSE)”