Helix: Chapel of St Ygg

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Helix: Chapel of St Ygg

#1 Post by Spearmint »

The stone built chapel of St Ygg is a relatively new building which is set just off the market square on a large plot bordered on the front by a whitewashed picket fence and neat tendered plots of rosy blooms and greenleafed shrubbery. A path leads to an arched porch which shelters a thick oaken door that frames the entrance. Above a bell tower rings out to call the faithful to prayer and services. It also tolls the death of congregants.

Behind the chapel a graveyard extends to the fields beyond. Vines, briars and Yew trees climb over headstones and memorials.

Inside the chapel is fairly basic. A stone font filled with clear water greets you. Pews seperated by a tiled aisle face an altar table and pulpit. Stained glass windows shed multi-coloured pastel light from the outside sun. To one side a more devotional area is set with a shelf of votive candles and statuette figures of St Ygg. A small rail and knee cushions the devotional in prayer. A side booth acts as a confessional. Beyond the altar the chapel extends to a small vestry.

Presently the chapel is overseen by Vicar Othar and assisted in his ministry by junior acolytes Brother Gamdar and Sister Cella.

Attachments
Shrine of St Ygg
Shrine of St Ygg
68c2254a4dd28643d6c3371f2eb45c04.jpg (96.6 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Last edited by Spearmint on Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Helix: Chapel of St Ygg

#2 Post by Spearmint »

Friar John locates the Chapel of St. Ygg and quietly enters. He makes prayers of thankfulness and confession of impure thoughts and petition Ygg for fortitude and righteousness. Afterward he deposits 2 gold pieces into the offering box.

He spies one of the clerical attendants and says, "Good brother, I am Friar John the Wander, I travel the lands seeking to spread the light and righteousness of St. Ygg. What are the needs of the community and the faith and how may I make myself of service? Also where might a poor pilgrim lay his bedroll in safety?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Spearmint »

Friar John 'The Wanderer', stops his pilgrimage at the chapel.

You enter and perform your devotionals, left undisturbed as you pray and give thanks. The candle you light wafts a fragrant scent, carrying away the stench of sin upon your mortal soul.

As you finish, you greet the acolyte who is sweeping the floor of grassy debris. He is a tall man, dark and brooding with olive gray skin and a high forehead and thick lips. His smile reveals protruding canines, more like tusks than teeth. He has a white cloak clasped at the collar over a gambeson which displays a large red cross.

"At your service. I am Brother Gamdar. A curate to Vicar Othar. Itinerant preachers are always welcome, the ministry of the church militant and church pastoral must continue. Helix has proven to be fallow ground which had taken much ploughing." He can see by your deposited pack that you have just arrived in the village with the latest caravan. "Most travellers may find a bed in one of the dormitory rooms at either of the taverns. As for service, the bell will toll tomorrow for another recently deceased. An adventurer who died whilst exploring the Moors. His comrades brought him back, well most of him, for internment in the graveyard. I am preparing his ritual and body ready for his committal. Perhaps you can assist?"

Attachments
Brother Gamdar
Brother Gamdar
1f37fa642ba31c461a6f704eb8675c7e.jpg (32.51 KiB) Viewed 908 times

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Late in the afternoon, he will enter the chapel. Striking a candle and kneeling on a cushion pretending to pray, genuflecting some cross or symbolic sign and anointing his head with the font water if others are watching.

He will approach a cleric.

"Brother of Ygg. I have recently learned from my companions that my good friend lies in state here. I should at least confirm his demise to his poor grieving mother. May I see Greygoose and pay my final respects."

He tries to put on the water-works tear eyed face to convince any dubious cleric of my sincerety.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Spearmint »

I will wait another day on Friar John to respond then update, as his action may affect who you meet and if you get your request met.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Spearmint »

Chapel of St Ygg
I am preparing his ritual and body ready for his committal. Perhaps you can assist?"
in the absence of a post I will move the action forward for Friar John

The two clerics greet each other and Friar John agrees to assist Brother Gamdar will the ritual cleaning of the recently deceased body. Past the vestry are a small set of stairs which descend to a crypt. The air is chill and the stones cold. The stairs open to a lantern lit domed chamber which suffices as a rudimentary morgue until burial can take place. On the slab, a stone table in the middle of the chamber, Greygoose lies in state, covered by a sheet of white cloth. The chamber has another door which would open to be under the chapel above and an arched corridor which leads off an inclined passageway north, presumably to the outside fields and graveyard.

Around the chamber are shelves of containers filled with formaldehyde and embalming fluids, tubes and scalpels, scissors and bone saws. Some old chests look to contain blankets and aprons, a desk by the wall has an inkwell and various half scribed papers on top. A wicker casket is standing up in one corner.

Greygoose has several wounds. Some big claws marks clearly cut through what little padded armour he wore, slicing open his chest bone deep. A huge chunk of shoulder by the neck has been ripped from the body, like a large animal bite. Smaller wounds cover his back and head, gouging lacerations. None of the wounds are clean, festering at the edge with fetid decay and rot. The congealed blood is thick and blackened. The body has two fingers missing from the left hand, the knuckle bones remaining as stumpy remnants to where they once were.

"Bureaucracy. I have to detail much. Cause of death, description of deceased. We need to insert the syringe and drain excess blood into those vials and open the clavicle to allow inner gas to escape. We should commit his remains unto Ygg as best we can."

Gamdar bemoans some administrative tasks as he washes the body, placing the arms across the chest and closing the eyes.

Vann Hector arrives in the church. Only a couple of villagers are present. You do your 'thing', trying to replicate what ablutions are expected. After a brief wait, Cella, the most junior acolyte minister turns up. She seems in a hurry to answer your request, instead suggests you speak with the senior clergy. "Follow me. I believe he is at duty."

You follow her through the vestry and she calls Gamdar up from below. "It's Perni's place again. More revelery and rough housing. Seems a brawl broke out and things got out of hand. She is asking for some ministry." The half-orc cleric lets out a derisory snort but fastens his cloak. At that point Vann Hector blurts out his request to pay his last respects. It catches the flustered cleric off guard and he gestures you below to the chamber.

"Your pardon please Friar John. My duty compels me elsewhere briefly. Please carry on as you can, I will return within the hour."

Gamdar and Cella exit, leaving Friar John and Vann Hector in the crypt chamber below the vestry with the body of Greygoose.

next actions for you guys both please.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Looks at the two clerics and whispers his thanks. He heads down the vestry steps into the chamber below. Another cleric (Friar John) is standing over the body.

"Greygoose. His name is Greygoose. I wish I had been there to save him. I heard from Dunkirk how he passed. Such a shame, cut down in the pride of his life. His mother grieves with the news.

May I assist?"
he asks, looking around for anything that might belong to the dead adventurer.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Monsieur Rose »

If the timing works out:

Sir Dewey

Sir Dewey enters the empty vestry and kneels, praying. After a few moments, he stands and calls out. "Hello? Brothers? Vicar? Anyone here?"

The silence in the chapel weighs on him.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Spearmint »

I am waiting on a post from Friar John or I will update this topic tomorrow if he fails to log in.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Spearmint »

Chapel of St Ygg

Sir Dewey enters the chapel and kneels to pray, respectful of ordinances required of him.

The place is quiet. Evening vespers are scheduled soon so you expect clergy and congregants to arrive after dusk. You shout to acknowledge your presence but receive no verbal response.

The vestry is the Vicars office and private room which is past the altar table and communion rail at the other side of the nave. So you have a little time in self introspection or to admire the art and fixtures in the church unless you want to enter the vestry uninvited.

Meanwhile ... downstairs in the crypt room ...

Friar John and Vann Hector finish preparing the body of Greygoose. The elf takes the man's belt and behind the back of the cleric, picks the dead man's pockets. You lay his sword across his chest, placing his hand and half hand across the hilt. A copper piece placed over the eyes, traditionally to help 'pay his passage' though the folk tradition is frowned upon as a pagan practice.

The room stinks, the corpse becoming more bloated as the rigamortis and decay lay claim. Despite cleansing and binding the savage wounds, they still ooze necrotic pus. He has been dead several hours.

Then suddenly the body jerks, the coins slide off the man's eyes and he coughs, gurgling and croaky like a thirsty man under the desert sun. Spasms shake the body, twitching muscles in awkward jolts. Dead eyes open to view you both with a new semblance of life ... and hunger. The shock of seeing the metamorphosis of Greygoose into Greyghoul transfixes you in utter surprise. He reaches out to grab the nearest of the pair and pulls Vann Hector close enough to savagely sate his hunger with a suckle of blood from a freshly opened vein.-1hp

The inglorious resurrected body of Greyghoul rolls off the slate.

initiative and actions for FJ & VH please.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

Unaccustomed to an empty Chapel, he isn't quite sure what to do with himself. He knows enough to not enter the vestry uninvited or to go snooping about, so he takes the opportunity to admire the art and sneak a sit.

He takes his helm off to better inspect the art, holding it under his arm ready to put back on at the sound of company.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

I guess this is what I get for robbing the dead in the house of God.

"Yikes." the elf says, thankful his racial pureblood saves him from the paralyzing touch. He pulls his longsword and stabs at the creature, "Sorry Greygoose but you've got to lie back down."

Vann Hector longsword melee [1d20+1]=11+1=12 damage [1d8]=7
Vann Hector initiative plus reaction bonus [1d6+1]=3+1=4

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Spearmint »

Friar John reacts to the grisly cadavar rising again from the dead as a born again ghoul. Rather than turning the creature which may cause it to flee upstairs, the cleric digs deep into his martial training and the compelling vocation to destroy the undead. He grabs his weapon, an iron banded morningstar from under his cloak hung on the wall hook. He swings but misses.

Greyghoul now has a chance to react and caught in-between two ministers of death again, warm blooded and tasty meat filled ministers, he tries to claw each and grab one to bite. His regenerating claws rip through the shoulder of the elf, gashing him further but the ghoul is unable to feast on the dripping blood.VH -3hp

While the creatures faces the elf, the cleric swings again, flanking it around the slab. This time the spiked head gets a solid blow.

attack action for VH please

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Half dead already and not even out of the village, the scrawny elf fights for his life and lunges powerfully but without accuracy at the undead adventurer.

He is hoping that the other two clerics who promised to return within the hour remember what time it is and he shouts upstairs.

"Help brothers help! For the mercy of Ygg."

Vann Hector longsword melee [1d20+1]=6+1=7 damage [1d8]=6

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Spearmint »

Chapel of St Ygg

Sir Dewey, admiring the art decor and patiently waiting for the clergy to begin the Vespers, hears a cry of pain and scream for help. It comes from beyond the vestry door and echoes in the quiet chapel with an urgency for Ygg to intervene.

You may investigate this round if you wish to respond.

Crypt of St Ygg

The longsword blade of Vann Hector misses the ghoul but it takes a bone crunching hit from the cleric. The ghoul, famished and fearful, reaches again for morsels to eat. The bleeding elf looks delicious and he grabs him again with the hand missing fingers but he doesn't lose his grasp, pulling him in close to savage his open wound again and vampirically feast upon the arterial crimson.-6hp. :oops:

The wandering priest utters some words of divine outrage and attacks the creature before the elf is slain but Greyghoul dodges away under the morticians slab and begins to pull the limp body of the elf towards him, leaving a fresh bloody drag mark across the floor. The priest tries again to bash the creature to oblivion whilst it wards off the blows to protect its pointy eared morsels.
action from Sir Dewey please.
pm sent to VH.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Monsieur Rose »

and that answers my question :D

Sir Dewey

The muffled sounds of movement somewhere nearby draw his attention from the art. He replaces his helm and moves closer to the vestry.

The call for help finally forces his hand. Sir Dewey says a silent prayer of forgiveness as he enters the vestry and scans the area. The stairs below stand out in the empty room and he descends.

"Brother? Vicar? Are you in distress?" He calls as he takes the steps.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Spearmint »

Crypt of St Ygg

The narrow stone steps from a corner of the vestry hall descend steeply down to an open door. A stone chamber beyond is lit by a lantern shedding pale yellow flickering light around the circular room. From underneath the morticians slab, a bleeding out elf sheds his crimson lifeblood and a stream of pale yellow, the ghoul tries to lap up both while ignoring the wrath of Friar John whose holy symbol, raised in defiance of the death defying creature is ignored.

"Come brother. This infernal beast has risen to savage his comrade." Friar John shouts to Sir Dewey as the creature lacerates his leg and poisonous enzymes begin to threaten to numb the clerics senses.-3hp FJ and save vs paralysis.

Actions from Sir Dewey, include initiative roll.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The scene before him feels alien, a blood-spattered protrusion in a holy place.

He knows the cause almost immediately as he enters, a ghoul. He pulls his Morningstar and raises his shield, engaging in combat for the souls of those present.

Initiative: [1d6]=1
Morningstar: [1d20]=11
Morningstar Damage: [2d4+1]=5+1=6

"Tend to him! I'll fend it off!"

I think Sir Dewey gets the benefit of protection from evil, right?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Spearmint »

Crypt of St Ygg

The entrance of the paladin of Ygg brings more divine authority and threat into the crypt. Friar John is able to resist the paralyzing touch of the ghoul and as Sir Dewey offers himself as a living sacrifice, the cleric intones a prayer to heal the dying elf. He stretches forth his hand to touch the body of Vann Hector allowing Greyghoul to attempt to rake his arm with more poisonous claws. He misses and the healing virtue is cast upon the elf who splutters more blood, appearing more dead than alive, but at least not on the path to undeath.

The helmed Templar swings his hammer, hitting the slab, chipping splinters of stone, the ghoul retorts by trying to slash open the mailed intercessor. Failing to grab him, he gnashs his fang like teeth upon the leg of the table in anger. He reaches again, snarling at you like a cornered beast.

actions for SD and initiative for next round. FJ will attack. VH awakes prone under the slab next to the ghoul. GG initiative 6, wins it simultaneous attack. Misses.
FJ saving throw [1d20]=19 saves
Greyghoul initiative [1d6]=3. wins initiative
Greyghoul claw attack FJ [1d20]=4 [1d20]=5 bite [1d20]=16 both claws miss so no bite
FJ cast CLW on VH [1d8]=8 +8 hp VH
Greyghoul claw attack SD [1d20]=5 [1d20]=7 bite [1d20]=18 at -2 to hit, claws miss so no bite

Round ends:

Greyghoul initiative [1d6]=6 if wins initiative attack on SD.
Greyghoul claw attack SD [1d20]=11 [1d20]=1 bite [1d20]=18 irrespective of initiative, ghoul attacks both miss.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

Sir Dewey keeps himself between the Ghoul and the others in the crypt. "This is the end for you, creature!"

He swings again, saying another prayer for the broken table.

Initiative: [1d6]=1
Morningstar: [1d20]=9

"Curse your slippery nature!"
He's like a large mattress, hard to damage, but non-threatening. :lol:

Return to “Settlement: Helix”