Helix: Chapel of St Ygg

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Helix: Chapel of St Ygg

#241 Post by Spearmint »

I was thinking if I had rolled 100% then the side Confession box might have taken in Sven the Boy and exited Sven the 'new man'.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#242 Post by OGRE MAGE »

:lol:

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#243 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

He takes Copperpiece to the Chapel for the first time. "This is a chapel dedicated to my God, St. Ygg. I wanted to expose you to the teachings and start the process of your education. First you will listen and observe, remembering above all that this is a holy place that does not abide by any foolishness."

The Knight takes him to the altar to pray, guiding him through the process. "St. Ygg hears my words and grants me abilities so that I may better serve Him. This is the procedure for doing just that."

"I will introduce you to the Clerics who are stationed here. They have a much different job than I do, and one that is imperative to the perseverance of the Church."

He looks for Brother Gamdar of Sister Cella to introduce his new ward.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#244 Post by Spearmint »

The Chapel of St Ygg

Brother Gamdar
is about, vestry duties with preparing bodies for burial. (I think Gideon is helping him).

In between services you can chat and introduce Copperpiece.

"Sir Dewey, a blessing you return. I have heard of the recent escapade.

Young man! Take heed, you walk in the shadow of a servant of St Ygg but His light will ever shine upon you.

I should take your confessions."

Both Brother Gamdar and Copperpiece are half-orc in race and the tall, militant cleric keeps his imposing bearing. Between the two, you should bring a bit of discipline to the youth.

actions Sir Dewey. You have specific questions or actions or suggestions with the youth?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

July 5th

"Brother Gamdal. If you would, could you share your story with Copperpiece? I think that your path to St. Ygg would provide another glimpse into how He brings His word to the people."

The Knight continues. "I think history lessons and learning about St Ygg would benefit Copperpiece. Do you have a lesson time for younger townsfolk?"

He agrees to give confession and suggests Copperpiece do the same.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#246 Post by Spearmint »

The Chapel of St Ygg.

Copperpiece attends the chapel and is gifted with a Ygg holy symbol. His basic discipleship starts with regular lessons to read and write, washing (and de-lousing nits) daily and general service.

He has some rogue skills which you can't discourage except for not pickpocketing around the village or trying to open any locks her shouldn't. Brother Gamdar shares testimony of grace and faith, offering considerations that an outlaw lifestyle favoured by his Father is not the career that Nameless wishes him to walk in.

While in town, a school serves children's base education, so Copperpiece attends, learning very quick that truancy is not an expected virtue to practice.

while he will accompany Sir Dewey on expedition unless dismissed from obligations, during 'winter season' we can roll a skill check to raise his base Wisdom to see if schooling pays off.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

All good stuff.

While in the Chapel, Sir Dewey will receive a vial of holy water with gratitude. "The undead are restless below. Something has them stirred up. Do you have any books or records of the previous battles down there? A cult of Set followers, Nergal followers, Orcus followers, and the paladins that fought them?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by Spearmint »

"The undead are restless below. Something has them stirred up. Do you have any books or records of the previous battles down there? A cult of Set followers, Nergal followers, Orcus followers, and the paladins that fought them?"
Sorry I never responded to this. Basically a lot of knowledge has been lost. So characters need discover it all. But you have some basics from the conversation with Sister Magdalena, regarding paladins and knights engaging in quests to quell various Barrowmaze entities.

Names such as Sir Guy O'Veargne have cropped up among others. So no set books to study but should a name or knight feature, you can get a Wisdom roll check for any additional information.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#249 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo joins Brother Symeon at St. Ygg. Durgo tithe's 20 gp to the church from his spoils.

Durgo says, "I'm starting up a mining company (Durgo's Mining Company). I could use some backing in the venture if the church is willing. Perhaps we could come to an agreement?"
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#250 Post by Spearmint »

The Chapel of St Ygg's

Durgo gives his offerings and raises some more thoughts on his business enterprise.

Vicar Othar oversees such partnerships. He would be keen on the church acquiring the silver ore in order to craft anti-lycan wards and implements. Plus silver is the next precious metal on the scale of upgrading religious edifices, from bronze level works.

the Font in the chapel is the Truro Memorial Font, upgraded to silver after a character driven fundraising.

The cleric would be fine having associate ministers in residence at various frontier strongholds such as a secure Quarry & Mining Camp or Logging Camp. They do not have money to finance endeavours or act as patrons beyond pastoral concerns. Though describe what you would like the church to support you in, add Charisma check and I will see what could be reasonable or feasible support.

You already have the Harvest time Svirfneblin Caravan being enacted.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#251 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo says, "It might be beneficial to have a young cleric as part of the caravan. If the caravan comes under attack they could assist in healing and defending it from undead or other evils. We are already aware of several ghosts there in the quarry and deeper that we'll need to deal with at some point. The gnoll presence is a bit iffy too that's not far from the caravan's destination. Perhaps a good word from you might help in getting some guards for the caravan from the old Manse's seasoned guards. I'll be covering some of the cost myself too. Lord Krothos might be more inclined to lend some guards perhaps with a gentle request. It's a need for all to be outfitted with silvered items after all."

vs Chr 12

Durgo shows the Vicar his trinket and says, "Is is possible to extend the time and have it refresh each day or make it permanent?"
Last edited by Cwreando on Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#252 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo will asks the Vicar about seeing Sister Cella to amend the ledger for the deceased kids and to note he is acquiring the lands as noted by Lord Korthos last conversation and writ if provided.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#253 Post by Spearmint »

Chapel of St Ygg

Durgo Brightboon chats with chapel clergy.

Vicar Othar resides in the Old Manse as counselor to Lord Krothos , hence is rarely encountered in the chapel, leaving the pastoral ministries to Brother Gamdar & Sister Cella.

Certainly the clergy are looking to draw a line under the Orphidian nightmare, with the initial attack on the logging camp and later, at the Herne shrine which lead to the diseased victims passing away in the Hospice blaze. A new logging camp seems to turn over a new leaf in the story.

Sister Cella can update the church annuls to show the children are no longer 'missing, presumed dead' but registered as 'deceased, victims of Orphidian plague'.

She has some compassion for their plight, not being able to offer any more healing for their bodies but suggests "one of the morning vespers could be held in their memory to pray for their souls. You would be welcome to join in."

Durgo shows the Vicar his trinket and says, "Is is possible to extend the time and have it refresh each day or make it permanent?"
"Such items are divinely favoured. There have been relics recovered which needed dedicating at Ygg's altar and received His blessing upon them to remove ungodly traits and imbue them with lawful powers. Such is possible if the rituals are followed and the item and person are both presented in sincerity and devotion."

So a typical Light spell, a 1st level.cleruc blessing has an equivalent gold piece value of 200 gold. That might be the 'target tribute' needed in terms of sacrificial offerings, prayerful ministrations, crafting a new frame of lead or silver to hold the panes in, an ever-lit wick that magnifies the light into a cone of illumination.

As far as additional clerics go, Friar John got served as guest of honour in the Harpy banquet, Marcel des Rosier got disembowelled by Darkmantles in the Hurtloam Cave, Reuben swallowed whole by a giant toad, Truro ravaged by a zombie, Leomane appointed to warden of Crooked Yew. They have few itinerants to spare.

"Perhaps we can support Brother Symeon in a more appropriate way?" he offers.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#254 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin visits the church does so as fast as he can as he never felt comfortable in churches. Handing over the donation he says to whomever is helping him "This is to build a monument for the lost souls that were hired and died aiding me. Dawg Dann, Knatchbull, and Cloverfield, the last two were the most recent ones I've lost but in doing so they did help us save the life of this fellow dwarf Freod." he says looking quite uneasy being in the place. 120 GP still removed from sheet not adding it on.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#255 Post by Cwreando »

Spearmint wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:52 pm Chapel of St Ygg

Durgo Brightboon chats with chapel clergy.

Vicar Othar resides in the Old Manse as counselor to Lord Krothos , hence is rarely encountered in the chapel, leaving the pastoral ministries to Brother Gamdar & Sister Cella.

Sister Cella can update the church annuls to show the children are no longer 'missing, presumed dead' but registered as 'deceased, victims of Orphidian plague'.

She has some compassion for their plight, not being able to offer any more healing for their bodies but suggests "one of the morning vespers could be held in their memory to pray for their souls. You would be welcome to join in."

Durgo will certainly attend the morning Vespers in honor of the children.
"Such items are divinely favoured. There have been relics recovered which needed dedicating at Ygg's altar and received His blessing upon them to remove ungodly traits and imbue them with lawful powers. Such is possible if the rituals are followed and the item and person are both presented in sincerity and devotion."

Durgo will provide the 200 gp, trinket and complete the ritual pure of heart doing his part as needed. -200 gp

So a typical Light spell, a 1st level.cleruc blessing has an equivalent gold piece value of 200 gold. That might be the 'target tribute' needed in terms of sacrificial offerings, prayerful ministrations, crafting a new frame of lead or silver to hold the panes in, an ever-lit wick that magnifies the light into a cone of illumination.

"Perhaps we can support Brother Symeon in a more appropriate way?" he offers.
"I thought there might be some clerics in training that might be of use to handle minor aches and pains with a healer's kit that could be on hand unless it was more urgent, then they could come back to Helix should the injury be more severe. We can look into these things once we secure the logging camp.
The caravan perhaps if Brother Symeon joins and possibly a new cleric that just arrived, we'd be fine. I'm just also thinking of this a regular expedition where they are not available. A dedicated clerical presence for the mining company expeditions would be helpful.

"I do not mean to be pushy. I'm just interested in seeing the successes of both business ventures both for myslef and the village. Lumber and Silver will be needed."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by Spearmint »

The Chapel of St Ygg's.

July 3rd 1066

Following a neeting at the Mercenary Guild,
Dalin visits the church, meeting Brother Gamdar, a half-orc convert to the Ygg faith. Together you discuss memorials and headstones, wishing one to be erected in memory of deceased comrades.

Brother Gamdar receives the donation, setting it aside to commission a memorial.

"Perhaps we can get your kinsmen dwarven masons to sculpt and chisel a small Obelisk. The graveyard expands and even the Garden of Remembrance receives the ashes of those cremated on a regular basis.

A stone inscribed with a blessing for those lost, a prayer for their souls and to act as a warning that others may also become inscribed upon its roll of honour, if death is such a glory the vain seek."

He suggests various options; a plain tombstone, a Ygg cross, a needle Obelisk, a shield design. You can settle on one of choice or leave the decision to the clergy and Osen. The masons can be contracted quite easily and spend a week upon fashioning a suitable stone and plinth with a few verses of inspiration or condolence etched upon.

By July 9th, a week later, the small edifice can be set in place and a permanent memorial for adventurers and mercenaries is dedicated, Dalin, Osen, GBH, the clergy and contracted mercenary host in attendance at its founding.

Funding the memorial tribute, xp is earned once the Tribute is created and set in place. Add the 120xp equivalent for the gold piece investment.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#257 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin "Though they were not all warrior I'd suggest the Shield style. I can ask around and see if any dwarves can do some craftsman work. The only words I can think of is 'True to themselves to the very end, they risked their lives saving someone else's.' hopefully that's not too corny."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#258 Post by Spearmint »

the Mercenerary Memorial gets erected, details in the Tribute thread.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#259 Post by Cwreando »

Cwreando wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:37 pm
Spearmint wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:52 pm Chapel of St Ygg

Durgo will certainly attend the morning Vespers in honor of the children.

Durgo will provide the 200 gp, trinket and complete the ritual pure of heart doing his part as needed. -200 gp

Just checking how this played out for the trinket and Morning Vespers Durgo attended.?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#260 Post by Spearmint »

The Chapel of St Ygg's

Durgo prays in St Yggs: sunlight through stained glass vs 25% [1d100]=5

The stained glass window in the chapel bears a portrait and images of the noble knight, Sir Guy O'Veargne, sent out on a holy quest to defeat the machinations of Chaos and evil in the first risings of Undead in the Barrow tombs. The window raised as a memorial when the Chapel was built. Three times the bearer of the knight's recovered shield has prayed in the chapel and three times the divine blessings have not alighted upon him. This morning however as he starts his quest to repatriate the remains of the paladin, Durgo Brightboon receives an epiphany of faith and hope.

His trinket, made from Ygg blessed stained glass receives a new pane, taken from the Chapel window as it undergoes its own refurbishing. Your offerings received, purifications observed and vows made. You have a bullseye lanthorn style Light source, fuelled by rays of Ygg blessed sunlight.

So this was the original trinket:
a piece of stained glass taken from the mausoleum of a saint. Inset into a mounting as a hand mirror, it will function as a bullseye lanthorn for four hours duration (a flask of oil's duration). After the duration, the colour drains from the stained crystal to become an ordinary pane of broken glass.
and now rather than fading out, you can recharge it daily via prayer and study as a cleric might to receive their spells, so an hour of devotion plus fifteen minutes as Light is a 1st level spell.

Return to “Settlement: Helix”