Helix: The Brazen Strumpet

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Helix: The Brazen Strumpet

#1201 Post by Stirling »

Seemingly content, he found a place to sit down, leaning his wooden shield against the wall next to him, and placing his backpack on the floor
She will take a table, placing her bow on the chair behind her, a shield and basic pack tucked under the table.
We might be on neighbouring tables as I figure an 'adventurers' corner or the like that we navigate to.

Scarlett sees the newcomer, pushing her pack with her feet under her table a little more to give him room to pass by. She has her ale and using the last crusty bread slices, wipes her bowl clean of well simmered stew.

"The stew is basic and wholesome. I would recommend it. And cheap too." she says to Theraxx to break the ice, she actually speaks Dwarven as a language so will use that figuring it more polite.

She doesn't know so much of Dwarven traditions or faith; language yes she knows; war cries, tavern songs and cussing for sure.

Seeing the dwarf impressed with the shield behind the bar, "Bollo the barman. A former adventurer. He originally came to explore the nearby Barrows but then found his fortune serving leftovers and rumours of buried treasures to hungry adventurers." she remarks and points to various niches and ledges around the walls that are littered with trinkets and tributes, items taken from the tombs.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#1202 Post by Edeldhur »

Stirling wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:49 pm"The stew is basic and wholesome. I would recommend it. And cheap too." she says to Theraxx to break the ice, she actually speaks Dwarven as a language so will use that figuring it more polite.
Theraxx's eyebrow rises impossibly high as he hears the elvish woman speaking dwarvish - "Thank you Miss" - he replies somewhat awkwardly, but in the Common tongue - "Stew it will be then"
Stirling wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:49 pmSeeing the dwarf impressed with the shield behind the bar, "Bollo the barman. A former adventurer. He originally came to explore the nearby Barrows but then found his fortune serving leftovers and rumours of buried treasures to hungry adventurers." she remarks and points to various niches and ledges around the walls that are littered with trinkets and tributes, items taken from the tombs.
"I would bet most 'adventurers' end up very differently than they thought they would" - the dwarf chuckles - "Ya seem ta be knowin' a lot about tha place - ye been here a long time in Helix then?" - he adds - "If ye don't mind me askin'"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1203 Post by Stirling »

Scarlett
"Ya seem ta be knowin' a lot about tha place - ye been here a long time in Helix then?"
"I came in with the trade wagons from Ironguard earlier. I only know rumours and gossip to be honest. My cousin kin dwell in the Wyrdwood forests below the Moon Peaks, I had thought of travelling there but these stories and legends have a certain pull."

She looks at the trinkets in the niches; scarabs of carved stone, candlesticks, inscribed tankards and daggers. Around her neck she wears a wrought medallion, it is crafted into the image of Silvanus: 'the Green Man', a face made upon of a wreath of leaves. "A heirloom, from my ancestors. A blessing, true but I would like to leave behind a greater legacy than a plaque on a tavern bench. 'Scarlett sat here! Her spirit wanders the Moor ...'"

She drinks her ale wistfully. "I bear sword and shield and this bow but I hope to learn some arcane skills or receive divine blessings before I return to my kinsfolk.

And you Master dwarf? Do you intend to adventure or labour here in the quarry or forgeworks?"

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#1204 Post by Edeldhur »

"Dunno if I am an adventurer" - Theraxx shrugs - "But I do know me pouch is runnin' dangerously low, and that's da first thing I'm intendin' ta solve" - he looked around and grumbled - "Now where the heck is that ale?"

Turning back to Scarlett he continued - "And I have some business of me own... At the Axe and Anvil Forge. I come lookin' fer an apprenticeship..." - the dwarf seemed somewhat embarrassed with all the sharing.

"But ahem..! That is a nice bow ye have there!" - he changes the subject - "I've had some training meself, but fer now I am sticking with this fella right here" - he pats his crossbow - "But I know me way in a scuffle with blade or hammer - mebbe we can trade a few pointers one of these days"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1205 Post by Stirling »

The Brazen Strumpet Tavern
I come lookin' fer an apprenticeship..."

Scarlett wonders at what age the dwarves graduate in their smithing or mining studies?
"mebbe we can trade a few pointers one of these days"
"Well, I have some coin to earn too, put aside for my own studies. I hope to find a short trek to join, go and explore the nearby regions. I know many folk go to the Mercenary Guild and pay expensively for Swords-for-hire, but if I was offered equal reward to face equal risk, then I would trek along on those terms with a group."

She is staying in the tavern for the evening and intending on an initial trek 'somewhere' for the next day. So Theraxx can contact her later here if he finds something interesting to go and explore.

"For myself, I heard of a stampede of undead buffaloes, driven headlong to attack the Herne Shrine happening just a day or two ago. And kobold raiders regularly hunt grazing herds, not undead ones mind; and drive them off the moor into the forest. I thought of checking out a few local rumours."
Of Silvanus, not much call for that here in the village. Elves go into the woods.

Some go and don't come back though, dangerous place for lone wanderers, the woods
She might try and explore the forest, go to any groves used by elves and to locate the ruins that are in the forest. I know 'Spider Silk' harvesting is an easy and much used way to gather coins.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1206 Post by Spearmint »

"Now where the heck is that ale?"
the ale is brought around along with some stew and crusty bread. -3sp.

Theraxx can continue to converse with Scarlett and other patrons or go information gathering in other settlement locations.

If you need to stay overnight, you can sort out a range of accommodation standards and days, (from the 1st page menu list), just script what you need and deduct the coinage.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#1207 Post by Edeldhur »

Theraxx
Stirling wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:40 pm The Brazen Strumpet Tavern

"For myself, I heard of a stampede of undead buffaloes, driven headlong to attack the Herne Shrine happening just a day or two ago. And kobold raiders regularly hunt grazing herds, not undead ones mind; and drive them off the moor into the forest. I thought of checking out a few local rumours."
"Would ye mind if I tagged along with ye? I'm still getting ma bearings on da place, and knocking some kobol heads always helps me relax" - he inquired from Scarlett with a straight face, which seems to indicate he is not joking.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1208 Post by Stirling »

"Would ye mind if I tagged along with ye? I'm still getting ma bearings on da place, and knocking some kobol heads always helps me relax"
Scarlett considers Theraxx's offer.

"Sure, two swords are better than one and you will no doubt have some skills or insight I lack."

She is not sure which particular interest to follow up to investigate, many rumours abound.

"I am going to visit the bowyer, an elf. He may give me some insight into nearby sacred groves and goings on in the forest.

Maybe you can check in on your dwarven kinsfolk at the Forge. They might have an interesting rumour or two and then we can meet back here in the evening and discuss the better of options for a first trek."

I posted 'later in the day, Scarlett goes to the bowyer' Subject to where we decide to go, we can maybe afford a mercenary guide (a veteran might be more expensive but a 'torchbearer' can help carry packs and if we go to the Barrows, will know a typical route).

As far as equipment and supplies, I have all I need, so am ready to go at first light in the next day.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#1209 Post by Edeldhur »

"Sounds good enough - I'll be goin' with ye to see this elf bowyer, then I'll head off to the Anvil"

qtkat
Scout
Scout

#1210 Post by qtkat »

Ronnie enters, mid-morning, after spending the night a few hours walk outside of town. She looks around the place carefully, accessing the environment an any patrons already established there.

Good Morning, barkeep, well met. I've just arrived in town and would like a hot bowl of porridge and ale, please. -3sp

She sits at the bar and smiles pleasantly still trying to take in her surroundings.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1211 Post by Spearmint »

July 12th 1066.

Veronica 'Ronnie' enters, greeting Bollo and dining upon some standard breakfast fayre.

The tavern keeper takes the dues and shortly the steaming gruel, sugared and accompanied by a jug of cream arrives. The tavern at midday has many passing patrons, mostly village residents and merchants hawking wares in the outside market. A group of dwarves dine, seated in the window benches, the resident bard Buble`, croons a few lyrics, another adventurer type looks to be drowning his sorrows. On the verandah a beggar sits cross-legged.

After trekking from wherever, the respite is welcome and food wholesome. No one bothers you, certainly not while you keep caressing the head of your spear, polishing it clean free from any taint of blood that still resides upon it and smoothing the edges into a finer sharpness.

The only interest beyond the tavern is a covered wagon that passes by with quite an eclectic crew aboard. Two broad shouldered half-orc warriors sit taking up the driver's bench. Both look grizzled veterans, a female barbarian type and the male having a huge Aspis shield resting behind his back. On the wagon rear, a carrot haired youth smokes a cigar, staring intently at a black mineral carved blade, pointing out various facets of his inspection to a halfling dressed in similar studded fashion to yourself. A wolf pads in the wagon's wake alongside a dreadlocked mercenary, his hair sticking out from under a large bovine skull that he wears upon his head as a full covering bone helmet.

The villagers make way for them but seem to accept their unusual nature as par for the course here. Perhaps in the evening they will attend the tavern?

actions feel free to act in the tavern, engaging with patrons or staff or visiting Helix location threads.

qtkat
Scout
Scout

#1212 Post by qtkat »

Ronnie cups the bowl of hot gruel, warming her hand and holding it to her face allowing the steam to invade her nostrils. She puts it down, pours the cream and mixes it slowly. Her first three spoonfuls feel marvelous, warming her insides. She addresses the barkeep:

Bollo, you say? You have a mighty fine establishment here. The fayre is quite satisfying.

She takes discretely takes notice of the Dwarves sitting by the window, wondering if they are merchants? miners (are there even any mines in these parts?), adventures? She tries to catch some bits of their conversation if she can, although her Dwarven is not great.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1213 Post by Spearmint »

Veronica listens in to patrons, familiarising herself in the new environment.

The dwarves chat together. They are dressed according to trade, so hobnail boots, leather aprons, thick forge gloves and smithing hammers hanging from belts. Very few locals tote around in mail armoured suits and geared for battle. There is a mine north of the village. An abandoned chalk quarry whose tunnels egress under the swathe of rolling hills into veins of ore; silver deposits have been found and caves of strange crystals. But these are deep underground and in territory claimed by strange Gnome-kin clans of Svirfneblin. However a trade deal is rumoured to have been negotiated with the church resourcing the previous silver in exchange for practical goods and medicinal supplies.

Further to the East and South, the range of the Moon Peak mountains are home to dwarven miners but those are a dozen or more leagues away across the wilderness Barrow Moor.

Noticing your interest, the dwarves suggest you call by the Axe and Anvil Forge should you require additional weapons and crafted armours, noting you have a brace of javelins and a spear leaning by your table.

qtkat
Scout
Scout

#1214 Post by qtkat »

Veronica

She thanks the dwarves. l'll do just that she says. She'd been thinking it might be a good idea to get herself a metal helm.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#1215 Post by OGRE MAGE »

For the record, Sven doesn't smoke cigars. (I think that's Mori's thing)

He does have a little pipe he pulls off once in a while though.
:mrgreen:

qtkat
Scout
Scout

#1216 Post by qtkat »

Veronica Talboth

Returning to the inn, Veronica orders supper (stew and cider) -7sp and books common accommodations for the night-3sp.

She takes note of any interesting people or happenings in the evening or at breakfast the next morning.

qtkat
Scout
Scout

#1217 Post by qtkat »

Veronica Talboth
July 13, 1066?

Veronica awakens from the common loft having slept fitfully. She forgoes the cold shower and just washes her hands and splashes water on her face.

Good morning, Bollo. Another bowl those fine oats and no sugar please, just the cream.... and an ale to wash it down -1sp

She really loves Bollo's oatmeal. After taking a few spoonfuls she asks him,

Bollo, do you know a man name Sven, who runs an advetures' guild in Helix?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1218 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Just then Orgoth walks in and hears Sven's name.

A heavily built man, maybe half-orc if you squint just right, "Did I hear mention of Sven? I am Sven's good friend Orgoth Stonewall. Maybe I can point you to him?"

qtkat
Scout
Scout

#1219 Post by qtkat »

Rex wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:58 am Just then Orgoth walks in and hears Sven's name.
Veronica turns and takes notice of the big hulk of a man. "That would be great my friend. My name is Veronica and I am looking for work." She starts removing her weapons and shield from the unoccupied chair at the table. "Have a seat Orgoth."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1220 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth joins Veronica. "Well met Veronica. Hi Bollo, could I get a dozen eggs, fried up please."

He looks the newcomer over, "What kind of work are you look for precisely Veronica? I am involved in 3 kinds of work primarily, fixing up buildings, wells and what not around the village. Always need help there, but its heavy work. We are building a new guild hall, more heavy lifting type stuff, and lastly exploring the moors and borrowmaze. That is high risk work there but has the potential to make you more money then the other work I do although that can be much more rewarding in other ways."

Return to “Settlement: Helix”