US making a character generator?

Suggestions or feature requests for the dice roller, forums, or PbP games.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

US making a character generator?

#1 Post by Leitz »

Elsewhere
tibbius wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:23 pm I think it might be fun to use the OSE NPC generator to make first level characters with equipment and all, then just run with those.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question. However, I've started playing with the free tier AWS stuff and am wondering of the folks of US would want to do something? There's also the option of Go that worked on Google Compute Engine when I wrote it. My first attempt uses a template for a character class. It lets you set a list of preferred stats, and then assigns the highest rolls in order of preference. After that it takes the class minimums and raises any insufficient stat to the minimum.

Lots of ways to improve this, any interest?

To keep you informed, I'll post who is doing what here. If you want to help with part of this, talk to the people on that team.

Team

Overall Lead ToniXX
HTML GreyWolfVT
Data Entry rredmond
Initial Coding Leitz
Last edited by Leitz on Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: US making a character generator?

#2 Post by ToniXX »

So are you suggesting that the USS have its own NPC generator? I'm always interested in expanding the features of the USS dice roller, and to do that would be cool. But, it would have to be written in php with a mysql backend.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Leitz »

Well, I know how not to write PHP. All of my books are packed for the move, but I can dig them out once we get to the far side. Are you thinking about plugging it directly into the character sheet? Or would you prefer manual effort to "save" it? I'm not sure how much DB space you have or are using.

This should be doable, at first look.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by ToniXX »

Leitz wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:12 pm Are you thinking about plugging it directly into the character sheet? Or would you prefer manual effort to "save" it? I'm not sure how much DB space you have or are using.

This should be doable, at first look.
Yes, maybe using the random generator to automatically fill in a character sheet and saving it to the database. I've got a ton of db space so that's no issue. The only tough thing I see with this is storing all the values that are particular to character class and level, in order to fill them in automatically, such as saving throws, weapon types (certain classes can't use certain weapons), thief skills, cleric turning tables, etc. And on top of that, which game system do we use? If we use more than one, it complicates the whole process immensely.

It seems that there are other, more advanced PC generators out there that already do this very well. That's kinda why I haven't tackled it before (I have thought about it at great length in the past)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Leitz »

If we focus on one game system at first, it'd let us simplify while providing good value. A big question then is "which one"? My leanings would be "AD&D based" ( where race is not class ), and "open licensing". Not sure what that set of requirements leaves, nor what other requirements there might be. We talked about new versions of the character sheet a while back, but there didn't seem to be enough traction for things like Traveller/2d6OGL games. The 3d6 AD&D sheet seems to even provide for SWN, right?

There's also the question of "what are specifically not requirements"? For example, dmw71 gave me some good info on 2e Thief skills. Seems like the theif can allocate points instead of just following a chart. So the "no chart" means we're not trespassing someone's Intellectual Property, and the "points allocation" means we should probably leave it malleable so the person clicking the button can adjust as they see fit. A "not requirement" might be "no need for a slider bar or relational math for ensuring point allocations are correct". Leave it up to the person generating to adjust the numbers as they see fit, which leaves it open to house rules, etc.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by rredmond »

You should definitely start with a system for 1e and build off of that.

What? :)

Just wanted to say, as a SW and not a techie, you can definitely get help from the Unseen Servanters for data entry if it comes to that. So that you guys could focus on the toggle switch here, and the drop down there. Entering saving throws, or thieving abilities (that take into account level, race and DEX) into an excel spreadsheet (or whatever) can easily be farmed out here. I can think of at least three people, right off the top of my head, that would help at least a little in that respect. But knowing the folks here you would end up getting way more hands than that.

Just my two coppers. Oh, and you should just start with AD&D 1e as the base I’m thinking… did I say that already?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Leitz »

Also, it shouldn't need to be said, but I've been on enough projects that needed it said, that I'll say it. You are the boss. I'll throw out ideas and provide feedback, and occasionally I'll get wrapped up in my thought process and sound like I know what I'm doing. Sometimes my social graces are graceless. Please don't ever take anything I say as an intrusion on your leadership. I really appreciate USS, and want to contribute.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by dmw71 »

Leitz wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:26 pm If we focus on one game system at first, it'd let us simplify while providing good value. A big question then is "which one"? My leanings would be "AD&D based" ( where race is not class ), and "open licensing".
I'd love to see something like this pick up traction.

That said, as a starting point, I would maybe suggest building it to work with Old School Essentials, by Necrotic Gnome.

I only recently started to seriously dive into them and they're effing amazing!

Their Classic Fantasy rules, which almost identically emulate the BX rules (race-as-class), have been out for a few years and, I'm learning, are extremely popular... with good reason. They are heavily supported online, and the SRD of the complete Classic Rules are available for free in an online SRD, and a sample of the basic rules are available as a free download on the publisher's website, or on DriveThruRPG.

Their Advanced Fantasy rules, which (I understand) almost identically emulate the 1e rules, are brand new(ish). They are still working to fulfill all the print Kickstarter backings and will hopefully make them available for purchase to the general public soon (their website says "June-ish").

I am guaranteed to purchase print copies of the Advanced Fantasy books as soon as they come into stock (which include the PDFs for free), but I'm impatient enough that I couldn't wait to get my hands on the material and purchased the PDFs from DriveThruRPG just this morning:

I am so excited to see how Gavin Norman (of Necrotic Gnome) organized the 1e rules. I imagine OSRIC, improved.

But, between the Classic Fantasy and Advanced Fantasy rules, you'd have the TSR-era of D&D covered (minus 2e, I guess).
Which, I'm guessing, is a detail not too many would quibble over.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by tibbius »

I started with 2e, gotta say, don't miss it ... the endless procession of splatbooks turned me off for a while.

I'm startled to see what my comment sparked. I seriously just meant, let's try using OSE's existing generator to get characters of an appropriate level and see what happens.

But Spearmint prefer 4d6c1 arrange to suit, and that's cool with me, too!
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Leitz »

I'm not a fan of splatbooks in any game. 7th Sea and Traveller have lots of them. Sometimes they are useful, sometimes it seems like they are just a revenue stream and the ideas don't get folded back into the core.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Leitz »

I'm setting up a public GitHub repository for documents and code. If you want write access, please PM your GitHub account. If you're not a coder, that's okay. As rredmond pointed out, there are lots of ways to contribute.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

Shock of shockers I have a github account. Much less a shock, my username is rredmond :D
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Leitz »

rredmond wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:13 pm Shock of shockers I have a github account. Much less a shock, my username is rredmond :D
Even less of a shock is that you should have an invite. :)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by rredmond »

;)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Leitz »

And totally staying up past my nappy time, I wrote a little concept code. This is like half a percent of the first percentage of what needs to be rough drafted first.

At this point we need a decision firmed up. Basic (Bx), where race can determine class, or First Edition (1e) where class and race are separate but related?

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#16 Post by ToniXX »

Leitz wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:49 am And totally staying up past my nappy time, I wrote a little concept code. This is like half a percent of the first percentage of what needs to be rough drafted first.

At this point we need a decision firmed up. Basic (Bx), where race can determine class, or First Edition (1e) where class and race are separate but related?
I've checked out and played with your code... it's great!
I say we go First Edition.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Leitz »

Updated to make a Character object, and broke $mins and $prefs into their own files. I started looking at PHPUnit, but need to get to work and get to packing for our move. :(

I've started tracking issues, and marking those that might be easier to start with if someone wants to help. The mins.php and prefs.php files certainly need someone with a PHB handy, mine is already packed. The files themselves, though, are pretty simple.

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Lance »

One thing that most random generators can't do is you just adding your own stats (generated in whatever way) and doing all the heavy lifting afterwards (race and class eligibility, number of spells, hp bonus, thief skills, saves, etc).

Also, I feel every aspect needs to be modular (ascending vs descending ac, 5 saves vs 3 saves, cleric spells at first level, etc) so we can pick and choose depending on the system to be supported.

edit: I see the code assumes a class and goes from there, arranging to taste and then raising whatever's too low to the minimum required. That's a clear cut way to generate an NPC, but maybe a bit too lenient for a PC?

edit2: technical note, what's the difference between the min stats and the pref stats? Can't you just use the min for both?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Leitz »

Modularity, documentation, and test driven development are primary project goals. The main reason I don't have a lot of tests is that I haven't done PHP for a while, and need to set my environment back up. And my skills. We're also in the process of packing for a move, so the documentation is a bit lacking. The best I can do right now is commented code.

The first phase is an NPC generator, in the sense of "make it simple". That way we can focus on the core functionality; stats, hit points, spells, saves, "to hit", etc. There is a plan to have the result pushed into a USS standard character sheet, and then the player or DM can adjust as they see fit. Part of this is because there are multiple ways to roll up a PC, and that's a set of modules to handle. As well as race selection, modifications, and restrictions. Then spell selection, etc.

In theory we could have a "make a village" button that would populate a village, or town. That's for a later phase.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm late to the conversation but I do agree Start with AD&D 1e or something like OSE. If we stick to the trend that the sheets are already formatted for 1e probably fits best. Don't dive into 2e unless you stick to the "basics" i.e. core books only.

I too would love this feature/function and love to see it gain traction like Dave said. If I knew more than HTML I'd offer to help.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Return to “Suggestions”