US making a character generator?

Suggestions or feature requests for the dice roller, forums, or PbP games.
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

Re: US making a character generator?

#21 Post by Lance »

If you can make a pretty front-end, someone could fill in the php stuff ;)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Leitz »

Lance wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:47 pm If you can make a pretty front-end, someone could fill in the php stuff ;)
Concur. GreyWolfVT may be talked into doing the page for us. If you have thoughts, now is a good time to share them.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#23 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Mind you I am not "expert" at HTML there is a reason why I do tech support and not web design. I took a course or two in college (2010-2012) and have not had many places that required me to use it. But I will give it a shot/try.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by Lance »

I'm wondering, in all these years of playing AD&D and making all kinds of generators, did noone publish the necessary information in a json or xml or something? And if nobody did, do you want to? :D

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Leitz »

Lance wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:15 am I'm wondering, in all these years of playing AD&D and making all kinds of generators, did noone publish the necessary information in a json or xml or something? And if nobody did, do you want to? :D
I don't know what the legal issues would be, as I have not studied the OGL and the status of 1e. My assumption, which is always a risky thing, is that the OSR movement is based on 1e material now being under the OGL or similar.

Anyone know what the status of 1e? Specifically, a decently legal document that we can point to giving us the okay to use the basic data publicly.

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by Lance »

It wouldn't contain anything that OSRIC doesn't, just saves per level according to class, minimum attributes by race and class etc. Just a bunch of numbers. We can include the OGL or a link to it if it's unavoidable.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Leitz »

I'm happy with using a 1e compatible product, but you're right. We do need something that we can directly link to the OGL. If we can't specifically use official 1e, then getting permission from whatever OGL based clone we base off of would be useful.

GreyWolfVT

#28 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Well and a whole other series of questions as well. For me to work on the HTML side of it I'd need a "sandbox" essentially that I can save images and all that in otherwise I'd just be saving all the work on my laptop or in my google drive. (Granted there probably are other online resources I could find, to use.)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Leitz »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:01 pm Well and a whole other series of questions as well. For me to work on the HTML side of it I'd need a "sandbox" essentially that I can save images and all that in otherwise I'd just be saving all the work on my laptop or in my google drive. (Granted there probably are other online resources I could find, to use.)
We have a GitHub repo, if you can use that.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#30 Post by ToniXX »

Leitz wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:33 am I'm happy with using a 1e compatible product, but you're right. We do need something that we can directly link to the OGL. If we can't specifically use official 1e, then getting permission from whatever OGL based clone we base off of would be useful.
I think if we say we're basing it off OSRIC, and we include the required license and disclaimers on the terms of use page (which I should already have in place... but I don't) we should be covered legally.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

GreyWolfVT

#31 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'll have to check on GitHub Leitz. I've heard of it but never actually used it (as I'm not a software coder "guy")

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Leitz »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:11 pm I'll have to check on GitHub Leitz. I've heard of it but never actually used it (as I'm not a software coder "guy")
No worries. If you can make the initial page(s) on your local machine then one of us can upload to GitHub. Though if you can do the uploads, it'd help. Most of the github tasks are pretty easy, once you try them a couple of times.

https://github.com/TheUnseenServant/uss_chargen

GreyWolfVT

#33 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Leitz wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:36 pm
GreyWolfVT wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:11 pm I'll have to check on GitHub Leitz. I've heard of it but never actually used it (as I'm not a software coder "guy")
No worries. If you can make the initial page(s) on your local machine then one of us can upload to GitHub. Though if you can do the uploads, it'd help. Most of the github tasks are pretty easy, once you try them a couple of times.

https://github.com/TheUnseenServant/uss_chargen
Right on. I'll check it out when I get home from work.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Leitz »

It takes a village

Updated the code while taking a break from packing. Storms coming in, so I have to cut this short. I moved the character (code-)class into its own file, and then added a start on names, races, and genders. There's a new file called "village.php", which you can run to get a village full of people.

php village.php

Code: Select all

Joe, Human Male Barkeep 
Strength:  11   Intelligence:  13   Wisdom:  11   Dexterity:  11   Constitution:  8   Charisma:  12   

Rangora, Dwarf Female Farrier 
Strength:  10   Intelligence:  8   Wisdom:  13   Dexterity:  10   Constitution:  10   Charisma:  13   

JoeBob, Human Male Stablehand 
Strength:  10   Intelligence:  10   Wisdom:  7   Dexterity:  10   Constitution:  9   Charisma:  5   

Rangora, Dwarf Female Mayor 
Strength:  14   Intelligence:  9   Wisdom:  11   Dexterity:  12   Constitution:  7   Charisma:  13   

Bob, Human Male Priest 
Strength:  15   Intelligence:  14   Wisdom:  15   Dexterity:  10   Constitution:  5   Charisma:  8   

Ringora, Dwarf Female Boarding house owner 
Strength:  18   Intelligence:  11   Wisdom:  9   Dexterity:  6   Constitution:  10   Charisma:  10   

Rongora, Dwarf Female Town drunk 
Strength:  10   Intelligence:  6   Wisdom:  9   Dexterity:  5   Constitution:  7   Charisma:  16 
This is my Hobbit style birthday present to you all. Enjoy! I'll be off-line for a week or so.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by dmw71 »

I think it'd be hilarious to enter a new town and half the town is named "Bob," or "Rongora."

"Which one?" :lol:
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by rredmond »

It's like calling out "Ronnie!" at a Redmond family Christmas party. No joke!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#37 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:44 pm It's like calling out "Ronnie!" at a Redmond family Christmas party. No joke!
:lol:
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

GreyWolfVT

#38 Post by GreyWolfVT »

silly question for ToniXX (Greg) where did you get the image that is in the background of the new roller? Working on the html & css side of the char gen I'm wondering where to locate similar images. :)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#39 Post by ToniXX »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:14 pm silly question for ToniXX (Greg) where did you get the image that is in the background of the new roller? Working on the html & css side of the char gen I'm wondering where to locate similar images. :)
I don't remember... you can just right click and save the image in question.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

GreyWolfVT

#40 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I tried that and it's not an option on the roller. But I think I found something we can use (I hope).

What I mean by it does not work. Is the only thing that comes up for save as on the roller is the html file which is not what I'm shooting for there. Probably the advanced way it is coded vs my extent of web design coding with HTML and CSS. Minus java and all the fancy stuff ;)

Return to “Suggestions”