Barrowmaze: 1st ed D&D mega-dungeon

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrowmaze: 1st ed D&D mega-dungeon

#61 Post by Spearmint »

Sure Craigers07, you would be welcome and join the game at an opportune time. As Leitz recommends, preview the forum to see how the Campaign is set and the House Rules tweaks I am using which will buff out and balance some of the game play.

After a brief slowdown over Christmas and sadly having to come out of semi-retirement to work a few days, I am picking up the pace once again.

If you have an interest, then just create a character linked to the campaign in the Dice Roller forum and I can add you to the group profile.

Hi Valdus. Thank you too for the interest. That looks quite an 'old School' character sheet. You can keep those attribute stats if you wish or roll again following my Character Creation thread guidelines and generate a new incarnation of Kuakare. If you want to play a mage or cleric then please check out the Of Gods & Magic thread in the Barrowmaze Campaign as this details the pantheon of Gods and certain boons each faith gives or for the arcane vocations, how we are using magic in the game. You will need to 'create a character' using the Dice Roller sheet so that we can link any rolls to the campaign archive.

As noted, all new characters can start with +100xp bonus and I allow that 1st level characters all start on maximum hp.

Leitz, ever flying the flag for my campaigns, you would be welcome to roll up a new character following Steban's untimely and ghoulish death.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Spearmint »

I posted private messages to both of you, Craigers07 and Valdus but you have not replied yet.

tanker405th
Tracker
Tracker

#63 Post by tanker405th »

Spearmint,

I'm new to PbP, but your campaign is very intriguing. Any chance for a new guy to pick up a seat and give it a whirl?
Grognard-in-training. Learning the old ways to pass them on!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Spearmint »

Well as it happens we must have cross posted.

Sure, we would be glad to have you aboard. I will send a private message.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Leitz »

tanker405th wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:39 pm Spearmint,

I'm new to PbP, but your campaign is very intriguing. Any chance for a new guy to pick up a seat and give it a whirl?
You're in for a treat!

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#66 Post by Kenjosephus »

Dear Spearmint,

First of all, nice username. Second of all, i am interested to play in your PBP. I am pretty new in 1e, only played some session in ADnD and other OSR games in recent times. Do you still have slot for me to play in your game?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by rredmond »

Welcome Kenjosephus!

FYI there is a two post Moderation requirement to become a member of the forums. After that you can post without delay, send PMs and join games.

Again welcome!!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#68 Post by dmw71 »

Welcome, Kenjosephus.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Spearmint »

Hello Kenjosephus,

Thank you for the expressed interest. I have sent you a private message giving some background information on the game and pointing you to how to join in with creating a character to play.

Any questions just ask.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Rex »

Welcome Aboard Kenjosephus!

Just a heads up that Kenjosephus can't see PM's until he gets a second approved post.

Kenjosephus
Tracker
Tracker

#71 Post by Kenjosephus »

Okay, thanks. Please send me another DM as i assume this will be my second approve post

Edit: I did get your DM even though i only post once. I'll look into it later when i'm free
Last edited by Kenjosephus on Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Straither
Tracker
Tracker

#72 Post by Straither »

Hello.

I got recommended to check your game out and I must say it spans quite a lot of roleplay territory and plots. Just how many players do you have? I count twenty five at least in some active storyline expeditions?

Which begs the question if you have room for one more? i can take a small space being halfling sized or be some big ogrish half-orc or something in between.

Do I just make a character in the Dice Roller and you do the rest?

Are any of the current players looking to recruit a newbie to their adventure groups?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Spearmint »

We have been going 27 months and currently have 26 active players spreading across six or seven adventuring teams.

Recruitment is open to new players to join as the game functions as a limited sandbox with a dungeon crawl. So go ahead and roll a character and once approved I can add you to the group profile.

Straither
Tracker
Tracker

#74 Post by Straither »

Hello fellow Barrowmazers,

I took the plunge and created a dwarven fighter, of average ability but full of gusto and risk. I will rock up in a tavern once you approve my place. Looking forward to joining you all in some adventures and hope I can cope with the challenges you have faced so far.

Coming back as a 'Wandering Undead', does has a limited appeal. Perhaps not too early though please!

Wrathbone: attributes [4d6c1]=14[4d6c1]=15[4d6c1]=11[4d6c1]=12[4d6c1]=8[4d6c1]=8

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Stirling »

I post this as a shout out to the game and potential new players
Welcome!

Spearmint’s Barrowmaze is an open 1st Edition D&D campaign. I’ve been having a blast with an old school game for more than 2 years now (how time flies).

Regular near death experiences and still basically broke! 😀
I can certainly identify with Gunter.

Can't believe that two and a half years into the game and my character Vann is poorer than when he started! At least I had boots then! :lol:

The game is rich though, in fun and challenge and the players certainly welcoming with many concurrent teams active in wilderness, urban or dungeon settings.

This is a prompt of Spearmint's original recruitment post on the first page here:
Face devilish traps, exotic encounters, build your reputation and notoriety or die in unlauded ignominy ...

Come back to life as a wandering Undead.

qtkat
Scout
Scout

#76 Post by qtkat »

Is this campaign still running. I am very interested. thanks

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Spearmint »

Yes, it is still running. I have responded to your private message.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Stirling »

Come back to life as a wandering Undead.
I don't think that will happen to Scarlett ...

:surprised: and I must say, so epically narrated here:
A few yards away is the undead Sauron Captain, rising from his prayer and supplications to enact his savagery upon the sacrificial maiden Scarlett. He lifts her limp head under his claw, baring her throat, jugulars still beating with steady thuds of rich blood. He opens his jaws, clamping down either side, tasting the tender flesh a moment as she involuntarily kicks then rips her head clean from her torso as he tears her apart. -9hp, deceased.

Blood splattered he turns to face more dwarven vengeance and wrath. Theraxx rushes upon him, swinging his trusty warhammer but the Barrow Moor veteran parries the shaft and is unmoved by the dwarf's barging shield. A clubbing from his own fist adds more injury -3hp to the braveheart and he too collapses unconscious before the undead Sauron and the blood splattered slab.

The gods have been good to Chingacharz'ad. Awoken from death and reborn in rotten, putrefying flesh, his Draconic Aspect has provided willing sacrifices to purge his hunger. A dwarf and an elf, races who made war and hated upon his Lizardfolk kin in life, races who betrayed and despoiled his tribe.

"Vengeance is sweet and tasty", the zombie thinks in a lucid flash. Venerating the body of Theraxx in the same fashion as Scarlett's, decapitating him and placing his severed head alongside hers as a trophy upon the spears planted before the blood splattered altar.

From somewhere deep below ground; from within the barrow underneath, a necrosis leaks, a baleful influence as dark as a demon spirit. It inhabits Chingacharz'ad and he breathes a great groaning cry; of pain, of anger and revenge.

As he feasts upon the dead, tossing bones to the returning vultures, the ground writhes as those Saurons slain yet to be revived crawl forth from the earth ...

and with that, so ends the expedition and short adventures of Theraxx & Scarlett. A grim and bloody brutalisation that perhaps with better fortune could have been them exulting in victory.

actions: none.
Hoping third time's a charm! Seriously great game for any new players wanting a fun and challenging experience.
Attachments
11414562-6845933-image-a-41_1553492829331~2.jpg
11414562-6845933-image-a-41_1553492829331~2.jpg (15.71 KiB) Viewed 267 times

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#79 Post by subaltari »

Stirling wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:45 pm
A few yards away is the undead Sauron Captain, rising from his prayer and supplications to enact his savagery upon the sacrificial maiden Scarlett. He lifts her limp head under his claw, baring her throat, jugulars still beating with steady thuds of rich blood. He opens his jaws, clamping down either side, tasting the tender flesh a moment as she involuntarily kicks then rips her head clean from her torso as he tears her apart. -9hp, deceased.

Blood splattered he turns to face more dwarven vengeance and wrath. Theraxx rushes upon him, swinging his trusty warhammer but the Barrow Moor veteran parries the shaft and is unmoved by the dwarf's barging shield. A clubbing from his own fist adds more injury -3hp to the braveheart and he too collapses unconscious before the undead Sauron and the blood splattered slab.

The gods have been good to Chingacharz'ad. Awoken from death and reborn in rotten, putrefying flesh, his Draconic Aspect has provided willing sacrifices to purge his hunger. A dwarf and an elf, races who made war and hated upon his Lizardfolk kin in life, races who betrayed and despoiled his tribe.

"Vengeance is sweet and tasty", the zombie thinks in a lucid flash. Venerating the body of Theraxx in the same fashion as Scarlett's, decapitating him and placing his severed head alongside hers as a trophy upon the spears planted before the blood splattered altar.

From somewhere deep below ground; from within the barrow underneath, a necrosis leaks, a baleful influence as dark as a demon spirit. It inhabits Chingacharz'ad and he breathes a great groaning cry; of pain, of anger and revenge.

As he feasts upon the dead, tossing bones to the returning vultures, the ground writhes as those Saurons slain yet to be revived crawl forth from the earth ...

and with that, so ends the expedition and short adventures of Theraxx & Scarlett. A grim and bloody brutalisation that perhaps with better fortune could have been them exulting in victory.

actions: none.
Hoping third time's a charm! Seriously great game for any new players wanting a fun and challenging experience.
I was on the fence, but this account convinced me to give Spearmint's game a go!

Look forward to joining the ranks of happy and prosperous Tomb-Robbers... or else being poisoned, skewered by kobolds, torn apart by wolves, infected with uncurable fungal spores, burnt alive, hung from a bridge, turned into a Wight, sneakily replaced by a doppelganger, or joining the sacrifices above!

grokkngrognard
Tracker
Tracker

#80 Post by grokkngrognard »

I would like to join if there is room.

Return to “Looking for players or games”