Small's Paradise

OGRE MAGE
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Small's Paradise

#201 Post by Bluetongue »

Calvin Beauregard

"Whiskey please. A double. With ice. Not in the glass mind, I need them for these bruises."

He makes his order and looks around.

Ashuaps
Scout
Scout

#202 Post by Ashuaps »

René Vézina

Rene smile when Leroy asks him about the nightlife in his hometown and replies enthusiastically "Ah, you must come and visit. This is a free city with people that appreciate life... and a good drink. This is the Broadway of the North. We have fantastic venues, the Cafe St-Michel, the Rockhead’s Paradise, owned by my good friend Rufus Rockhead and of course, the best, the Commodore Theatre!"

As the barman come over, Rene says "Have you got a good Rye? Bring me two please."

After Thurston comment on the trumpet, Rene adds "I must admit, I am more of the business head of the family rather than the artistic one. I tried to learn to play with a normal 3 valve one but never managed. How do you manage four!"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#203 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Start Drinking Heavily

The barkeep brings a bottle of Old Overholt rye whisky and 5 glasses to the table, smiling at Thurston's comment about all money being green. "I spose you're right there, sir. That'll be 5 dollars if'n ya wants the whole thing." He hands Calvin a small sack of ice to hold on his dark shiner. "Lemme guess. You fell?"

The still visibly shaken Leroy Turner continues talking and drinking, but looks around nervously as he does so, as if he were worried about someone watching them. "I bet words got out about what happened back there, eh? I just dont understand it, I played trumpet for over ten years now, and aint nuthin like that ever happen ta me befo." He takes a glass and fills it half full before slamming it down in one pull. "Thanks again fer the drink. I needed it bad after that scene."

"The Commodore, eh? I heard a that place a few times. Pretty nice huh? As nice as Small's place?

When asked about where he got his shiny trumpet, Leroy looks even more nervous. "This horn was the second best thing ta ever happen ta me, aside from my sweet Marnie. God rest her soul. You aint gonna believe me when I tell ya, but I'll say it anyway. This trumpet was gifted ta me by none other than Mr. Louis Armstrong hisself. A couple a weeks ago, I was playing with this scratch band on the East side, when I went outside for a smoke between sets. Satchmo approached me in the alley and told me that he liked my playin so much that he was gonna just give me one a his horns. He gave me this very horn, on the spot, without a thought. I couldn't quite believe my luck, but I sure wasn't gonna say no to Louis Armstrong."

Can I get a Psychology roll from each of you with your next questions or actions, please?
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#204 Post by Bluetongue »

Calvin Beauregard

"Well that is a name I have heard about. Centre page cutouts say that boy will go far. And so generous too giving a novice a helping hand. What a wonderful world."

Calvin Beauregard: Psychology skill check vs 50/25/10% [1d100]=63

A thought strikes him. Maybe Leroy is a patsy for something more insidious. He makes a note to investigate the wider regions beyond Haarlem. Could the phenomenon of dead people rising be linked to trumpets from Louis Armstrong and if it does, how many more trumpets may he have given away.

He remembers a street preacher talking about revival and a great awakening, refering to converts flocking to church. But could the eerie 'dead man's stomp' and other tunes create another awakening.

He suddenly gets the feeling he needs more ice.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Grognardsw »

"Satchmo himself?" says Thurston, sounding impressed but privately skeptical. "You must have really impressed the man with your playing."

"Having had it only two weeks, you must still be getting use to it. How is it to play? You feel any of the Satch magic in it?"

Ashuaps
Scout
Scout

#206 Post by Ashuaps »

René Vézina

Psychology check (50/25/10) [1d100]=84 No

"Of course The Commodore is not as nice as Small's place!" says Rene with great fervour "It is even nicer than that. We have the best artists, the best dancers and ... the best drinks. The rich and powerful from New York, Boston, Chicago all come to Montreal to partake into all the entertainment that the city offers, including the pleasures they are denying you", he says raising his glass on the last sentence.

After Leroy explains how he got the trumpet, Rene adds

"Ah, Armstrong, that young one. I've heard some people say he is better than King Oliver. I'd love to bring him to my club but then judging by what I've heard from you, maybe I just need Leroy and not Louis"

Rene will pause to let the conversation on Armstrong continue. After it slows down and when the moment his appropriate, Rene will use a softer tone to approach the subject of Marnie.

"I feel for you. You seem quite young to loose the love of your life. May I ask, what happened to take Marnie away from you at such a young age?"

If it's relevant with Rene trying to befriend Leroy and gain his trust. Charm check vs 70/35/14 [1d100]=35

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Rex »

Charles

Psych (50) [1d100]=71

Examining the trumpet as closely as possible without touching it. "It looks special, very unique for sure."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#208 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Wow! All four rolls fail? I guess you will have to do this the hard way then. :D

Jazzsplaianing

It certainly appears that the young man is telling you all the truth.

Leroy nods at Charles, glad to feel the tension in the group starting to fade. He nods even more emphatically at Calvin's cute word play, touching his nose before pointing at the reporter. "Nice one." Calvin tries to remember any old similar stories related to Louie Armstrong and his horns, but can come up with no connection off the top of his head. He guesses that it might even be possible to locate the man to find out for themselves, knowing the famous entertainer currently lives somewhere in the Big Apple.

Turning to Thurston, Leroy nods. "I aint kiddin ya mister, it was him! Who else'd have enough money to give a complete stranger one of their own instruments?" He looks around the room again before downing half of his glass of whiskey. "This horn is the very best sounding trumpet I ever heard. That aint no lie either. I dont know if Satchmo left any a his magic on it, but the sound this thing gives off sews my body an soul together. I aint never played no horn as good as this one." He lifts the lid of the case to show the shiny trumpet off again. viewtopic.php?p=576270#p576270

Hearing all the benefits of living north of the border seems to appeal to the up-and-coming musician initially. He actually beams slightly at the compliments of bringing him to the Canadian club to play. "That sounds almost too good to be true, suh." But Leroy gulps hard and fights back the emotions when Rene inquires about his beloved Marnie. "She was everything ta me, and I ta her. Marnie and I came up from the Delta, a couple years back now, ta start a new life outside the deep south and all its horrors. We was doin all right for ourselves too, until about 6 months ago when she was run down by a car in the streets. The white cops said it were college boys who done it, but you know how much they lie. I didn't see it happen myself, but they say the car never even slowed down."

He looks off into the distance for a moment before shaking his head again and wiping a tear from the corner of his eye. Downing the rest of his glass in one unfazed gulp, he pours himself another from the open bottle on the table.

"I drink this stuff to ease the pain, but it don't always do the trick either. An now everyone thinks I's nuthin but a damn DRUNK." His words begin to slur a bit now, as well they should after this much alcohol intake.

Actions?

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#209 Post by Bluetongue »

Calvin Beauregard

Thinks ... probably too hard. Always gets crazy ideas when he thinks too hard.

Before he can be stopped he blurts out 'a crazy idea'.

"So sad. Hearing about your Marnie. Taken from you so quick, you never even got to say goodbye, tell her you loved her so.

Say. You know, that old Satchmo magic. Those fancy tunes that knit your soul and body and cause dead men to stomp. Why don't we get to where they buried Marnie. Dig her up, play a tune for her. Revive her briefly so you can say sweet goodbyes."

He plays in the guys emotions knowing that many folk go to charlatan mediums to contact the dead in seances. So why not see her in person? Plus we four get the chance to study the trumpet and trumpet player in action in a more settled research environment.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Rex »

Charles

Charles, taken aback by Calvin's suggestion just watches in stunned silence.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Grognardsw »

"That's a tragic shame about Marnie, may her soul rest in peace." Thurston motions for another bottle to be brought over. "God works in mysterious ways."

"That's a good idea Rene, having Leroy up to Montreal."

"...Why don't we get to where they buried Marnie,"
says Calvin. "Dig her up - "

"Whoa there Calvin!" Thurston 'accidentally' spills his drink on the reporter's lap to arrest his attention. "I think you got hit on the head too hard by those pall-bearers - "

"- play a tune for her,"
Calvin continues. "Revive her briefly so you can say sweet goodbyes."

"Crazy nonsense! I apologize Leroy, you see Calvin is delirious from his beating back at the funeral. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Right Calvin? You're looking woosy."

Thurston reaches over to hand Calvin a napkin for his wet lap and makes a face to stop, whispering in pig Latin "Ix-nay on the ead-day uff-stay."

What do you all think if we take the trumpet after Leroy drinks himself unconcious? Track down Armstrong to confirm. Then try to decipher the runes before destroying the cursed instrument. Case closed. :lol:

Ashuaps
Scout
Scout

#212 Post by Ashuaps »

René Vézina

René finds that he is actually enjoying the company, the drink and feeling a bit sore for Leroy who appears to be a decent guy after all.

"Cops in this city are simply corrupts. Maybe we could help you find out what really happened, if that would help?"

René waits for an response from Leroy.

As René is taking a sip of his drink, he hears Calvin's ideas. His eyes become wide opens staring into the distance, he neck the entire glass and very slowly put it back on the table while muttering to himself "Alouette, gentille alouette, Alouette, je te plumerai. Je te plumerai la tête. Je te plumerai la tête. Et la tête ! Et la tête ! Alouette, Alouette ! Alouette, gentille alouette, Alouette, je te plumerai. Je te plumerai le bec. Je te plumerai le bec. Et le bec ! Et le bec ! Et la tête ! Et la tête ! Alouette ! Alouette ! Alouette, gentille alouette, Alouette, je te plumerai.Je te plumerai les yeux. Je te plumerai les yeux. Et les yeux ! Et les yeux ! Et le bec ! Et le bec ! Et la tête ! Et la tête ! Alouette ! Alouette ! ..."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Grognardsw »

“Jesus Mary and Joseph what now!” thinks Thurston as Rene starts ranting in French. For some reason it reminds Thurston of a rabid cackling chicken.

“Rene, get a hold of yourself man!”

Thurston kicks him under the table. What the hell, he kicks Calvin too.

“Gentlemen, let’s all have another drink! How about those Yankees, huh?”

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#214 Post by Bluetongue »

Calvin Beauregard

Well, is it the trumpet or the trumpet player? Or the actual music? Or a combination of all three?

I would not favour stealing the trumpet. I also think getting Leroy to play the trumpet gives us opportunity to study the effects close at hand. If we are going to accuse 'Satchmo' of neferious activities, we need some more convincing evidence.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#215 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Just When Things We’re Starting To Gel

Leroy is clearly getting drunk, but he seems to maintain his faculties far better than a few others at the table. He looks to René first, responding weakly to his suggestion of further investigation into his wife’s killing. “Thank ya suh, but…… Won’t make no difference. Finding out who done it ain’t gonna bring my scweet Marnie back.”

Calvin decides to take the conversation to an extreme, starting by pulling on heartstrings, causing tears to well in the young musicians sad eyes. Thurston joins in, with no idea where his associate is about to turn, causing a deliberate stir with his drink once the verbal bomb explodes.

Charles’s mouth drops open wide enough to drive a truck through. Leroy snaps his head towards the reporter with the macabre suggestion. René looks straight ahead, his eyes locked in a frightened staring contest with an unseen void in space and time.

Leroy pounds his remaining liquor back hard, slamming the empty glass on the wooden tabletop. “Look, I donderstand what sappnin with my’s horn playin lately, but what yersayin ain’t RIGHT! I LOVED MY SWEET…..”

Thurston again attempts to diffuse the badly spiraling situation, trying everything he can to stifle the idea of using the horn to raise the dead again. He speaks his mind to Calvin just as René suddenly breaks into a mindless but rousing rendition of a classic French children’s sing-along song, rousing obvious suspicion from the other patrons and the barman too. Despite his best efforts, Thurston struggles keeping order at the table.

Leroy secures his trumpet case under one arm before standing to leave. “I think I’d like you fells sta stop followin me now. Thanks fer the drinks mista, but this is all too mush.” He looks into the eyes of Charles before walking away. “We cool, right bruth? You can keeps these white kooks away from me?”

Actions?

Great RPing, Ash! :lol:

I am just moving the action along a bit. Feel free to continue the table talk as much as you like.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Grognardsw »

Bluetongue wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:55 pm Calvin Beauregard

Well, is it the trumpet or the trumpet player? Or the actual music? Or a combination of all three?

I would not favour stealing the trumpet. I also think getting Leroy to play the trumpet gives us opportunity to study the effects close at hand. If we are going to accuse 'Satchmo' of neferious activities, we need some more convincing evidence.

I think its the trumpet, as its only been a few weeks with Leroy playing it that the effects happened. Perhaps one needs to be a skilled player, but I don’t think Leroy is consciously raising the dead. For us to observe its effects we’d need a dead body. We’ve seen its effects twice now, we know what it does. Translating the runes would be helpful.

Accusing Satchmo was more of a joke. Then again, if he really did give it to Leroy that seems beyond coincidence.

I don’t think we should let the trumpet get away from us.

“Leroy, going so soon?” says Thurston. “Have another drink.”

If the trumpet player continues to leave, Thurston says: “Leroy, we’re having a party, a big shindig with lots of jazz-loving white folk, and we’d like you to play. Big buck payday and free drinks! What do you say?”

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by Rex »

Charles

"Stay and join us as we discuss the details."

Ashuaps
Scout
Scout

#218 Post by Ashuaps »

René Vézina

René finishes his song "... Et la tête ! Alouette ! Alouette !", takes a deep breath, shakes himself a bit and smile. It seems to have had a therapeutic effect on the businessman. He looks at his empty glass and exclaims "Ah non! That's not right." picks up the bottle fill his glass and look around the table to fill up any empty glass making sure to fill the glass that Leroy is about to abandon.

Rene will assess the situation about Leroy leaving and try to support his fellow investigators in keeping Leroy with us

"You're in luck Leroy. After that previous chance meeting, you've have now met the best impresario in Canada while he is New York a looking for new talent. Just last year, I had the Duke and the Washingtonians at my club. Now I want to stage someone even better. Are you that man?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#219 Post by OGRE MAGE »

While we wait for Calvin's reply, anyone willing can give me a Persuade roll for their.....ummm......persuasion attempts. Since Leroy is already agitated, these will require a Hard success to be.....ummm.....successful. :D

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Rex »

Return to “Wake The Dead (CoC)”