Ambergris > In Search of a Song

hedgeknight
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ambergris > In Search of a Song

#61 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Happy that most of the men have been whittled away except for two. Well he might be able to handle those with a bit of luck.

They must go to the stairs which his below or close to his position on the stern deck above. As they move by I will attack them with my entangling net though I do so at disadvantage.

Ambergris to hit with net at disadvanatge [1d20+4]=12+4=16 [1d20+4]=16+4=20

then he will rush to stab at any caught with his whaling spear. If he can attack with them surprised that might help any melee chances. When he can he stabs out:

Ambergris to hit melee two handed spear [1d20+3]=4+3=7 damage [1d8+3]=5+3=8

Following round:
Ambergris to hit melee two handed spear [1d20+3]=9+3=12 damage [1d8+3]=8+3=11

Tell
Guide
Guide

#62 Post by Tell »

Lesh moves forward (without turning his back to Tarina) looking for any other crew. If he finds anyone he will attack with Inflict Wounds by saying "Pain you caused now you feel" and extends 3 fingers on his left hand. With a follow-up blow on his opponent's right shoulder with his Macuahuitl.

If he finds no one below decks he will return topside and attack one of those crewmen instead.

Inflict Wounds: [1d20+6]=13+6=19, damage: [3d10]=16

Macuahuitl: [1d20+4]=12+4=16, damage: [1d8+2]=2+2=4

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by hedgeknight »

Flinging his net, Ambergris manages to snag one of the men heading to the stairs. The warlock is on him in a flash, but his spear finds no flesh to stab, only the rough wood of the deck. The man's companion whirls and attacks, ramming his blade deep into Ambergris' side!

Below deck...
Lesh sees no other foe in the room, except the one Tarina is trying to kill. She has her back to him, intent on killing this man...a former member of her crew.
Returning topside, Lesh nearly runs into a fight between Ambergris and another man, while a second thrashes around on deck trying to untangle himself from a net. The salty smell of fresh blood makes Lesh's stomach rumble (it's been a long time since breakfast). While he hesitates, two more men emerge from the stairs opposite them...and charge!

So...here's the situation:
Ambergris is fighting one man and another is tangled in a net.
Two other bandits are charging toward Ambergris and Lesh.
Tarina is below deck killing another man.
I think I have actions > just need Lesh to tell me who he attacks with spell and mace.

Ambergris > down 6 hp (13/19)
Lesh > ?
Winter is coming...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

As an instant reaction to getting cut, he invokes a Hellish Rebuke upon the head of the person stabbing him.

Ambergris invokes Hellish Rebuke (Dex save halves dam) [2d10]=12

If he can follow that reaction up with an attack, he does so.

Ambergris to hit melee spear [1d20+3]=9+3=12 damage [1d6+3]=2+3=5

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by hedgeknight »

So, in place of attacking with his two-handed spear (as indicated in your last post), Ambergris goes for a spell attack and THEN a spear attack...correct?
Winter is coming...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Spearmint »

well I deliberately saved the spell slot so Hellish Rebuke could be cast as an instant reaction to taking damage. That would be initiated prior to and in preference of any melee.

Tell
Guide
Guide

#67 Post by Tell »

Lesh went for the closer of the 2 men charging from below decks. He is still at 24 HP, his max.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by hedgeknight »

Hell Comes With Me!

Ambergris grunts in agony when the bandit drives his sword deep into the warlock's side. Almost instantly, however, Ambergris points a finger at the man and bathes him in hellish flame! The man screams as his flesh sizzles and cooks...and Ambergris wastes no time in driving his spear into the man's chest, silencing his screams (at least on this plane) forever.

Lesh dashes up the steps, spies the two men charging toward Ambergris and invokes a damaging spell upon one of the men, dropping him like a sack of stones. The other man hesitates...and Lesh whacks him on the side of the head!
The man staggers a bit, sees that he is the only one of his fellow crew members standing, and decides to beg for mercy.
Dropping his weapon and dropping to his knees, the man says, "I ain't ready to die today, okay? Let's just...let's just work this out, okay?"

You have a man scrambling to get out from under a net and one pleading for mercy. Downstairs you no longer hear signs of fighting.

Ambergris > down 6 hp (13/19)
Lesh > full hp (24/24)
Winter is coming...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Jabs his spear under the chin of the kneeling man.

"I be not one to enjoy swabbing the decks of your brainz and gizzards, and the taste of blood in battle does makes one hungry, especially in lizards. We could cleave you from nape to navel and feast on your still beating heart while nibbling on a spare rib or two. We'll save your sweet meats for Captain Tarina to suck on later and then she will spit your soul out to rattle in the spitoon like some stones shrivelled dry of juicy cherry flesh.

... Or you can take your chances and walk the plank."

At the point of his spear bayoneting the man in the back, he marches him and the entangled seaman across the deck to get them to jump ship and take there chances in the harbour.

Ambergris proficiency with Intimidation [1d20+2]=6+2=8

If the guys seem a bit reluctant to move, he will hope an extra growl from Lesh convinced them the wisdom of exiting the ship.

Tell
Guide
Guide

#70 Post by Tell »

Lesh walks up, put his weapon away, flares his nostrils, bares his teeth letting a little saliva drip down, and lets out a pleased sounding series of clicks, "kaa, kaa, kaa..."

Preformace: [1d20+0]=17+0=17

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by hedgeknight »

Speaking elaborate descriptions of horrible death, Ambergris attempts to intimidate the two captive bandits into jumping ship...but they see his hand shaking and see the look in his eyes, and they don't quite believe him.
But, when Lesh turns on them, looking as if he is about to eat their faces, the man doing the speaking, grabs his friend by the arm and runs down the gangplank, disappearing into the fog.

At about that time, Tarina appears from the deck below. Her blade is red with fresh blood, but she doesn't seem to care. "Well done, lizards and gentlemen. Now, what to do next? Are either of you planning to stay on and accompany me to the open sea? Or are you going to take my gold and move along? I've fine with either, but I could use a couple of heavy hands while I re-crew my ship."
Winter is coming...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Spearmint »

"Conditions I have. Information and aide to the servants of Kelemvor must you always give." (I will help her take the boat but she has to swear to provide intel to the temple and aide any servant of Kelemvor in the future.)
Ambergris

Looks at the woman thoughtfully. "Well you have your ship, Captain Tarina. And may the wind be ever in your favour, though I fancy your sailing is close hauled enough to the storms and following you will shipwreck many a man.

Release my friend from his vow and divide what plunder there may be."

The old mariner declines the offer to sail under the new Uncivil Serpent captain. He alludes to her adventurous and risk taking ways as stormy enough and her beguiling looks able to twist and manipulate soft headed men. In his younger days ...

He wishes her well but will leave the vessel.

Tell
Guide
Guide

#73 Post by Tell »

Lesh will gently lay a hand on Ambergris' shoulder and gives him a meaningful look (silently asking him to watch his back a moment more). He turns to Tarina, "Captain, clues to strange doing and of the cult of Bhaal I seek. As agreed below I go." He readies his gift from the priest just in case and turns back to the stairs.

Assuming there are four separate spaces below decks, cargo hold, Captains cabin, crew cabins, and one more, Lesh will investigate each looking for papers relating to his interests and anything magical but mostly ignoring anything thing like gold.

Investagation: [1d20+4]=5+4=9
Investagations: [1d20+4]=9+4=13
Investagation: [1d20+4]=16+4=20
Investagation: [1d20+4]=12+4=16

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Will take any gold. :D

Actually if Tarina is all sorted and she can claim the ship as hers, I would like to ask about or if I can freely search in regard to any log books that might indicate the recent travels, cargo, destinations, records as the ship does have an ill reputation. The 'sea serpent' mythos reflects to his own experience of the deep and with recent visitations and dreams, he would like to get a handle on any threads that point to a ruse in cultic operations.

Hope that makes sense.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by hedgeknight »

Spearmint wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:22 am Ambergris...Looks at the woman thoughtfully. "Well you have your ship, Captain Tarina. And may the wind be ever in your favour, though I fancy your sailing is close hauled enough to the storms and following you will shipwreck many a man.
Release my friend from his vow and divide what plunder there may be."
Tell wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:16 pm Lesh will gently lay a hand on Ambergris' shoulder and gives him a meaningful look (silently asking him to watch his back a moment more). He turns to Tarina, "Captain, clues to strange doing and of the cult of Bhaal I seek. As agreed below I go." He readies his gift from the priest just in case and turns back to the stairs.
Tarina scowls and sighs deeply. "Fine. Here is the promised gold, and some information for you, Lizard Man. Several blocks northwest of the Elfsong Tavern is a public bathhouse with a walled garden and frolicking nymphs carved into its front gates. I think the name is simply, The Naked Nymph. Which is redundant since most nymphs ARE naked! Or at least so I'm told. Anyway, followers of the Dead Three have been seen coming and going from the bathhouse, and I'm told there's a secret door inside that leads to a dungeon. That's where the killers - those responsible for the rash of murders in the city - are hiding. It's a dangerous place. You may need help to take it on...and no, I'm not available. I have a ship to crew, thanks to your help, and distant shores await!"
She hands each of you a pouch of gold (100 gold pieces) and follows Lesh as he searches below for more information (and finds nothing).

From your time in the city, both of you have heard of (maybe even visited?) the Naked Nymph. You sort of remember it being located in the next block past the Blushing Mermaid...an infamous tavern and inn, known up and down the Sword Coast for the best place to get one's teeth kicked in, or to kick in someone else's.

For great roleplaying and defeating the bad guys, both of you received 150 XP.
Actions?
Winter is coming...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Doffs his tricorn to the new captain, speaking some apparent gibberish and gesticulating, (a blessing of wind in her sails in Deep Speech). He takes the gold and thanks her for the information too which could be more valuable.

He will leave the ship, tossing a gold coin over the side of the vessel. An offering 'to the Deep'. He will wait for Lesh not sure of what steps to take next. He hears some noise from the floating tavern on the other pier. Perhaps a libation inside and discussion?

Tell
Guide
Guide

#77 Post by Tell »

Lesh turns to Tarina takes the gold and says "Captain fair may your weather be, far may your ship sail, well may you be." He follows Ambergris down to the row boat to retrieve his other equipment. Once on shore he speaks to Ambergris "Most of a whale could I eat. A good place you know?" He follows Ambergris' lead....

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Rows the jolly back into the harbour and swirling mist. He knows The Low Lantern, frequenting before with other old seadogs. Beer on tap and probably can still get 'rat-on-a-stick' from the deck barbecue or various pots of mussels and oysters hawked by food sellers. But it can get rather rowdy and fist fights are routine. He looks at his wound and carries rowing across the harbour, swerving the nearby floating tavern.

He would like to rest, at least to calm his mind and be able to restore some measure of casting ability before he investigates the rumour thread. Having a few gold might also cover some extra supplies.

"Jopalin's is ... an acquired taste. Craft ales and artisans of cocktails and spirits. Juniper infused gins and hoarse rum, black like treacle or honeyed smooth and roasted with chicory. Along with a few other convictions. I believe the trade in alchemical supplies is quite booming this time of year. Sniffing lines of Mummy dust to help you wander the 'Fartherland' is quite in vogue with the young rakes intent on psychedelic explorations."

He muses as he rows, pulling up on a quayside jetty and leads the way to the distillery and bar.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by hedgeknight »

The afternoon wearing into early evening, Ambergris and Lesh docked their "borrowed" dingy and were about to climb out when two young men walked up to them. "It ain't free to dock here, ya know. We run the docks and if ya want us to make sure your piece of shit boat don't get pinched, then you pay up...5 silver...now."
Harbor Hand Haim.png
Harbor Hand Haim.png (138.97 KiB) Viewed 710 times
"You tell him, Haim," says the other young tough. A third emerges from the fog, appearing ready to intervene should things get out of hand. "We won't let nothing happen to your boat, old man. You and your pet lizard can venture into the city for a drink or three and your boat will be here when you get back."

Both Ambergris and Lesh have heard of the Harbor Hands, but this is their first encounter with the crew who work the docks.
Winter is coming...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

"Yeah. Ok. It's all yours fellows." he huffs, stepping out the boat and leaning on his scrimshaw spear like a crutch. "It pisses more water than year granny's fanny and the oarlocks are are offset so it veers to the left. No good for a one handed cripple like me. I've been going around in circles all night."

He tries to defuse the situation and has no regard to jolly boat.

He eyes up the trio and how commited they are to any violent intent.

Ambergris Perception proficiency skill roll [1d20+2]=9+2=11

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”