(003A) Ambush on the Trail!

Eris
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: (003A) Ambush on the Trail!

#21 Post by ateno »

Darian and Kazan will head towards the hobbits and speak in common.

"If you have some rope, follow me, about two of the archers are under magical sleep."

He then heads to the ones he saw fall from sleep.

Darian

bobk2323
Tracker
Tracker

#22 Post by bobk2323 »

terrymixon wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:16 am
Des waves.
Callista waves back, staring at Des for a moment before saying, "Are you okay?" She smiles very slightly. "You count as a not-nasty person."

--
Bob K.
--
Bob K.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by terrymixon »

bobk2323 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:29 am
terrymixon wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:16 am
Des waves.
Callista waves back, staring at Des for a moment before saying, "Are you okay?" She smiles very slightly. "You count as a not-nasty person."
"I like to think so, though this nasty cut on my leg is making me reconsider."
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 1,000 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by Eris »

Turn 3

OOC: Des is continuing combat, attacking a Goblin, but it appears all the rest of you are letting the Goblins escape if they choose to run for it...is that correct? I'll deal with Des' attack in this post, but that's all....and that's a miss!

I've heard from Des, Callista, Eodrien, and Darian and they appear to be exiting combat and starting to deal with the aftermath. I would like to hear from Valerin and Magdal, as they still have a chance at a shot from their elevated position, before posting what happens next.

IG: Des chops at the retreating Goblin, but misses it as he favors his injured leg. The Goblin turns and takes off at a run along with all the others. They are streaming north weaving through the rocks and boulders toward the trail that runs north/south. The are quickly out of sight to Des, Callista and those on the road. Magdal and Val see them running quickly north up the trail and soon they will be out of sight for them as well.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by Eris »

Eris wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:50 pm Turn 3

...snip...
OK, combat is over.

Back to normal time. ;)

Callista heads over to Des and casts her Heal Light Wounds on his leg. A warm glow surrounds the wound and Des feels the warmth as the blood stops flowing and the flesh begins to knit as he watches. The pain, which was becoming quite strong as he came down from the combat high recedes, too. In a minute the deep gash has closed over leaving only a thin puckered line in his skin. His leg feels completely healed.

Not so, his legging as the bloody and gashed leather and metal still gaps open. That is going to need cleaning and mending.
Darian and Kazan will head towards the hobbits and speak in common.

"If you have some rope, follow me, about two of the archers are under magical sleep."

He then heads to the ones he saw fall from sleep.
"More important that we deal with our wounded." says one of the hobbits as he leans over his downed companion, "I'm Dilly, by the way."

Frank nods, "Right! Deal with your injured. I'll keep an eye open in case any of them try sneaking around."

Dilly lays his hands on the arrow protruding from his chest mummering unknown words as he does so. The arrow comes out of the small man's chest and the skin begins to close. Color comes back to the wounded hobbit's face and he begins to first groan and then with a deep breath opens his eyes.

"What happened?" he asks.

This hobbit is clearly a healer, maybe a Cleric.

"I'm Tony." says the hobbit who had been shooting off what looked like dozens of magic missiles as he rushes around the bigger Darian, petting Kazan on the back as he passes, "Good doggie!" as he runs toward the donkey lying in the road.

"Dilly, come help Daisy!" calls Tony as he kneels next to the donkey and lays his hands on her neck and side almost caressing the beast, "Poor baby, we'll help you! Hurry, Dilly, she's in a bad way!"

"The name's Murry, I'll go with you human." says the last of the hobbits to speak as he takes a rope from a pack on the injured donkey, "What's your name and where did you lot come from? Not that we aren't appreciative. Those Goblins jumped us, just as we came out of the crossroad. We were coming from the south on the way to Goblintown. Those were Red Caps, you can tell from the red fletchings on their arrows. Nothing to do with Goblintown, I hope anyway! They'd have eventually charged us and the three of us couldn't have got them all. The first group rushed out and Tony put them to sleep, but then a whole lot of arrows started raining down and we had to retreat to the rocks."

By this time you're to the spot where the Hobgoblins went down and you find them dead, their throats slit!

'Well!" says Murry, "Well, that's not asleep!"

"Hey, come help me search these dead bodies!" shouts Jameson from among the boulders adding almost cheerfully, "They ain't got much, but a few coppers here and there are still a few coppers, right?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:07 pm
Eodrien has her crossbow on a cross-body sling, so she didn't drop it.

"We can't leave the caravan," Eodrien calls. "Those of you closest, go back to the wagons." She herself turns and starts back toward the wagons at a trot.
Eodrien runs back to Magdal and Val and the three run back to check on the caravan. They discover the caravan safe. Once all has been reported it begins to move forward. It arrives at the site of the battle in short order where it stops while all of this is cleaned up, dead Goblins moved off the road, the area searched and everyone is settled.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#27 Post by Darithe »

Magdal hated to let the runners keep running but she wasn't the type to shoot someone retreating in the back regardless of them becoming a potential threat down the road (literally). She was mainly content to see how little damage they had done considering the size of the group. She assists in moving the bodies before checking making her way to check on Des, though she was sure Callista had things well in hand. Though an odd duck, she had proven more than reliable. A bit of an odd duck herself, she appreciates that.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:20 pm Eodrien runs back to Magdal and Val and the three run back to check on the caravan. They discover the caravan safe. Once all has been reported it begins to move forward. It arrives at the site of the battle in short order where it stops while all of this is cleaned up, dead Goblins moved off the road, the area searched and everyone is settled.
Eodrien sees that Des is hurt. She goes to him. "We will get someone to see to you. In the meantime, perhaps a few of us should scout ahead. An ambush like that would have killed several of the waggoneers."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#29 Post by bruce.desertrat »

OOC: Des is continuing combat, attacking a Goblin, but it appears all the rest of you are letting the Goblins escape if they choose to run for it...is that correct? I'll deal with Des' attack in this post, but that's all....and that's a miss!

I've heard from Des, Callista, Eodrien, and Darian and they appear to be exiting combat and starting to deal with the aftermath. I would like to hear from Valerin and Magdal, as they still have a chance at a shot from their elevated position, before posting what happens next.

IG: Des chops at the retreating Goblin, but misses it as he favors his injured leg. The Goblin turns and takes off at a run along with all the others. They are streaming north weaving through the rocks and boulders toward the trail that runs north/south. The are quickly out of sight to Des, Callista and those on the road. Magdal and Val see them running quickly north up the trail and soon they will be out of sight for them as well.
good ol' unseen unheard servant didn't let me know of new posts.

Valerien will take a last shot at the retreating goblins...
Pedro "Wong Way" Wong, 98BA77,
Navy, Starman, 3 Terms, 31,
Electronics-1, Engineering-1, Gravitics-1, Grav
Vehicle-1, Pilot-2, Steward-1, Vacc-1, ZeroG-2. Benefit:
Blade.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by ateno »

Eris wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:14 pm By this time you're to the spot where the Hobgoblins went down and you find them dead, their throats slit!

"Hey, come help me search these dead bodies!" shouts Jameson from among the boulders adding almost cheerfully, "They ain't got much, but a few coppers here and there are still a few coppers, right?"
"Well that's unfortunate, all they had to do was kick them awake, poor buggers woke up getting their throat slit.

I'm Darrian, a magician, this is Kazan. I and my companions are guards for a large caravan heading towards goblintown.

Your other 2 donkeys tipped us off that something was happening and we came forward to investigate. We are glad we arrived before the charge.

Well lets head back to your companions, I'll help out as much as I can."

He turns and calls out to Eodrien.

"Eodrien, be sure to stack all the belongings in a line and I will Detect Magic on them later."

Turning back, Darrian bows his head and gestures towards the the cart.

"Shall we Murray?"

Darrian

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by Eris »

bruce.desertrat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:26 am

Valerien is a bit surprised when his arrow hits one of the Goblins in the back and drops it in its tracks! He's on fire today!
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:19 am
Eris wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:14 pm By this time you're to the spot where the Hobgoblins went down and you find them dead, their throats slit!

"Well that's unfortunate, all they had to do was kick them awake, poor buggers woke up getting their throat slit.

I'm Darrian, a magician, this is Kazan. I and my companions are guards for a large caravan heading towards goblintown.

"We're headed to Goblintown, too." says Murry as he stoops to pick up one of the Hobgoblin's arrows, "These had nothing to do with the Goblins, there, I don't think. See the red fletchings? That's Red Caps."

We've heard that those bandits are trying to convince the Snorks and other folks down this way to join them, most are resisting. I'd say these Hobgoblins recruited some Snorks, er Goblins, to set this ambush."

Your other 2 donkeys tipped us off that something was happening and we came forward to investigate. We are glad we arrived before the charge.

Well lets head back to your companions, I'll help out as much as I can."

"Those Snorks wouldn't have been after us.", says Murry, "We're just four little halflings with three donkeys, "They'd have been after a big caravan like yours. I'd say we were unlucky enough to spring their trap, unlucky for us, lucky for you."

He turns and calls out to Eodrien.

"Eodrien, be sure to stack all the belongings in a line and I will Detect Magic on them later."

Turning back, Darrian bows his head and gestures towards the the cart. OOC: Cart? The Hobbits had three pack donkeys, no cart.

"Shall we Murray?"

Murry nods, "Yes. Look, Daisy is back up on her feet! Looks like Dilly put some healing on her."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#33 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Eris wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:35 pm
bruce.desertrat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:26 am

Valerien is a bit surprised when his arrow hits one of the Goblins in the back and drops it in its tracks! He's on fire today!
Valerin will be especially smug tonight :-)

He will check out the dead hobgoblin to see if their bow is better than his, and pick up any arrows he can, and generally roll the stiffs.
Blade.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by ateno »

Eris wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:47 pm "We're headed to Goblintown, too." says Murry as he stoops to pick up one of the Hobgoblin's arrows, "These had nothing to do with the Goblins, there, I don't think. See the red fletchings? That's Red Caps."

We've heard that those bandits are trying to convince the Snorks and other folks down this way to join them, most are resisting. I'd say these Hobgoblins recruited some Snorks, er Goblins, to set this ambush."
Well to be honest, we have dealt with some of these troubles behind us. Muttering in the big persons bar says this road might close soon.
"Those Snorks wouldn't have been after us.", says Murry, "We're just four little halflings with three donkeys, They'd have been after a big caravan like yours. I'd say we were unlucky enough to spring their trap, unlucky for us, lucky for you."
Smiling. But lucky for you we were here to fight the troop.
Murry nods, "Yes. Look, Daisy is back up on her feet! Looks like Dilly put some healing on her."
Dilly must be powerful to have that much healing available. Is Tony the friendly sort, do you think he would be interested in trading for some big persons magic?

Helping collect the treasure, Kazan and Darrian follow Murray.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by Eris »

bruce.desertrat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:42 pm
Eris wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:35 pm
Valerin will be especially smug tonight :-)

He will check out the dead hobgoblin to see if their bow is better than his, and pick up any arrows he can, and generally roll the stiffs.
The bows are not better, in Valerin's opinion they are worse, the swords are rusty, too. He does note that all the arrows the Hobgoblins had have red fletchings.

Between all the "rolling of the stiffs" you all do you come up with 23 copper and 18 silver coins total. You find nasty looking and smelling dried meat in several pockets, some ?ale? that smells more like vinegar than anything else, and one neatly folded note in one of the Hobgoblin's belt pouch. The note is written in the Goblin language spoken by all the goblinoids.

Does anyone read it?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:54 pm
Eris wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:47 pm "We're headed to Goblintown, too." says Murry as he stoops to pick up one of the Hobgoblin's arrows, "These had nothing to do with the Goblins, there, I don't think. See the red fletchings? That's Red Caps."

Well to be honest, we have dealt with some of these troubles behind us. Muttering in the big persons bar says this road might close soon.
"That is bad news!" says Murry, "We do trade with Goblintown and on down to the Lake District along this road. I can't believe the Snorks ruling G'town would allow the road to be closed, they depend on the trade as much as any of us."
"Those Snorks wouldn't have been after us.", says Murry, "We're just four little halflings with three donkeys, They'd have been after a big caravan like yours. I'd say we were unlucky enough to spring their trap, unlucky for us, lucky for you."
Smiling. But lucky for you we were here to fight the troop.
Dilly must be powerful to have that much healing available. Is Tony the friendly sort, do you think he would be interested in trading for some big persons magic?

Helping collect the treasure, Kazan and Darrian follow Murray.
"Dilly can cast a couple of healing spells a day, I think." says Murry (no a), "And Tony is always interested in learning about magic. That's why he's along. His Master has sent him to Elsburg to study with some Master Mage down there. I'll introduce you."

Walking back to the group forming on the road, Murry calls out to the small magic user, "Hey Tony, this is Darian and Kazan. The human one of the pair wants to know if you'd like to talk trading some magic spells."

"Pleased to meet you Darian, and certainly, I'm always interested in learning new things, especially things magical." says the little Magic User with a grin and the offer of a handshake.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by ateno »

The note is written in the Goblin language spoken by all the goblinoids.

Does anyone read it?
Why yes Darrian does.

"Pleased to meet you Darian, and certainly, I'm always interested in learning new things, especially things magical." says the little Magic User with a grin and the offer of a handshake.
Shacking his hand, "Tony, and I am happy to meet you. I'm afraid I'm fairly fresh out of apprenticeship. But distance makes a difference. And I am sure culturally we have different spells we of our peoples like. Would you like to talk after dinner tonight, I'll talk to my cabin master about plans for how long we are here, do you know yours?

Darian

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#38 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Eris wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:29 pm
The bows are not better, in Valerin's opinion they are worse, the swords are rusty, too. He does note that all the arrows the Hobgoblins had have red fletchings.
Valerin collects several of them both to replenish his supply and to have some 'enemy' arrows on hand to use for ruses...
Blade.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by ateno »

ateno wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:55 pm
The note is written in the Goblin language spoken by all the goblinoids.

Does anyone read it?
Why yes Darrian does.

Shacking his hand, "Tony, and I am happy to meet you. I'm afraid I'm fairly fresh out of apprenticeship. But distance makes a difference. And I am sure culturally we have different spells we of our peoples like. Would you like to talk after dinner tonight, I'll talk to my caravan master about plans for how long we are here, do you know yours?

Darian

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#40 Post by Darithe »

Magdal stays close but does scout a little ahead, moving to take a spot where she can see in the direction the creatures fled. She doesn't expect them to return as they seemed pretty cowardly. But you never could tell, perhaps they would drink a little bravery juice and decide to come back.

Return to “Silverband (C&C)”