An evening in town

BackworldTraveller
NorthernTraveller
Scout
Scout

Re: An evening in town

#41 Post by NorthernTraveller »

We will have to ponder the locked room mystery some more. I like the idea of monitoring from space if we can figure out a way to do the tasking without drawing to much attention. I think I can come up with something for that.
To my Aslan Friend: Please do your walk about, I will stay here and discuss communications

As for communications, I was thinking of a slower means than satcom or radio. Perhaps a courier system or trusted agents in the city who could hold messages until I can receive them. It must blend in and not attract attention. I would be interested in suggestions...

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Oro Zaekhgu is a Vargr that passes through periodically. She would be able to take messages to the post office at Kargill. It shouldn't take more than a week - and is dependent upon her availability. Would that do as an alternative? Should we just address them for your collection at the central post office?

And after that, the Droyne chat of the country life and the problems of raising crops in the dry landscape!

NorthernTraveller
Scout
Scout

#43 Post by NorthernTraveller »

The courier arrangement the Droyne suggests sounds good to Drake. He will follow the agricultural discussions as best he can while continuing to observe the village.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Ihatei returns after about 45 minutes

I have been reminded that we are due to attend an event this evening and we should leave if we don't intend to arrive late. We were able to draw the Droyne Warriors attention to an odd-smelling bush - it would seem it was used to disguise an observation point. It's fairly easily approachable from a gulley which they think shows signs of an air-raft. I understand from Tantars that the military have been carefully tracking air-vehicles because of insurgent activity. They might be able to provide some timings and details?

NorthernTraveller
Scout
Scout

#45 Post by NorthernTraveller »

Well spotted! We can follow up on this.

We say our good byes to the Watcher and his group. I will keep in touch and check for mail once a week.

Time to go.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The return to town is uneventful - just a long time in an air-raft. The crew and hangers on discuss the quirks of a Droyne village...It's much quieter than the Humans and Vargr are used to, but it seems a bit directionless at present.

On arrival back at the Makhangam, your team break up and head to change...the winds weren't favourable and you are all going to be late!
Any actions before dinner that could be initiated on route or immediately on arrival back at the ship?

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Meanwhile, Hagan has had an uneventful afternoon with Nyla and has returned home for a shower and change of clothes ready for the evening's outing. Tantars rings and gives a quick summary of his afternoon.
Any plans from Hagan?

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#48 Post by AndyS_66 »

Prior to getting ready for the evening out Hagan will get an update on the status of the Dog-Tag with regards to the repair/maintenance work.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by BackworldTraveller »

AndyS_66 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:24 am Prior to getting ready for the evening out Hagan will get an update on the status of the Dog-Tag with regards to the repair/maintenance work.
The work is progressing mostly on time. There has been some delivery of sub-standard parts and these have been returned - with the supplier having been reprimanded as a result.

NorthernTraveller
Scout
Scout

#50 Post by NorthernTraveller »

I wll arrange with Asokoezka to do rounds of the Makhangam tomorrow at 1000. We will use the time to focus on outstanding deficiencies and plan to correct them.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Placing Emmylou Cameron-Kuzanlu in charge of party planning is like giving an arsonist the keys to the fireworks factory. Their is the possibility that she won't over do it, but it is unlikely.

John and Hagan arrive simultaneously

Arriving, you are greeted by the door-guards (yes, uniformed) and admitted to a space about 20m on a side - There is a Bar, Music Master and a selection of snacks that make your mouths water even as you look at them from a distance. Keeli and Twana from Makhangam and Emmylou and Karin from the Dog-Tag are already twirling enthusiastically, egged on by the music. Dzae (also from the Dog-Tag) seems to be more sedately moving about the hard-core dance-four.

Omata%i (an Alien John has not seen before) is eyeing Ihatei as a potential threat (Omata%i is sort of bit-sized for an Aslan) and seems to be drinking Coffee topped with something caustic (according to the safety sticker on the cup)! Ihatei is surveying the room for threats as if he's been appointed security for the place.

Andee has arrived with his wife in tow, and Sarah has come alone - she's watching Emmylou carefully (you get the idea they have met previously - and it didn't end well).

Kori and Asokoezka are with Tantars - They appear to be watching Dzae stalk the dancers - while Gil and Otto (both with women on their arms) are making inroads into the buffet.

Emmylou dances over and shouts over the music I hope you like this - It should be fun! I've booked a pair of Dancers for later: It will give us a chance to rest and get jealous of their skills! Oh and it will gives us a chance to chat quietly!

Hagan had hoped that Corbus (his Son) and Pixii (His Son's Fiancée) might have arrived. They don't appear to have done so yet.

As Hagan and John move round the room being introduced to each others crew, Sarah whispers to John (so Hagan can overhear) You want to watch that one (indicating Emmylou) She'd steal your secrets as soon as look at you! She's not as Cute and Fluffy as she looks.

NorthernTraveller
Scout
Scout

#52 Post by NorthernTraveller »

John makes a discreet nod to acknowledge this news. While this is a relaxed setting I think it will be wise to listen a lot, speak a little and drink less than speak. The food, on the other hand...

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The dancing and inconsequential chatter (shouting over the music) continues for a while. As John sits, watching, he notices that Emmylou is slowly working her way around the room chatting to everyone, making everyone welcome, ensuring that they are all included. She almost comes over, but avoids you and heads to Ihatei instead.

The party is slightly interrupted by the arrival of Corbus and Pixii. They have a younger woman (girl?) with them. She is introduced as Sambuli - Hagan's Adopted Daughter.

Sorry Dad. says Corbus She's probably better off here than running with her pack in town. And Pixii and I need to head back for Midnight as we are covering for some people at the Clinic - so we are going to dump her with you.

NorthernTraveller
Scout
Scout

#54 Post by NorthernTraveller »

Perhaps I should smile more? I will circulate a bit, starting with my own crew.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by BackworldTraveller »

As John circulates, Emmylou finally comes over.
You have a nice Crew Captain. Tantars mentioned that you are after information about who is interested in the Droyne. I know an information broker if you're interested. He'll rob you blind if you let him, but if anyone has been asking around, he'll know.

NorthernTraveller
Scout
Scout

#56 Post by NorthernTraveller »

Thank you , I am keen to keep this team together. And thank you for the offer to introduce me to your data broker. I am interested in the Droyne for two reasons: 1. They helped me out of a serious jam and I am happy to help them if I can and 2. It pays to maintain contacts. That said, I would like to keep my interest in them quiet. How discreet is your information broker?

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Absolutely indiscrete - but only answers direct questions and only if paid enough. He'll tell you what you ask to know if he knows it. Client confidentiality is a concept that passed him by...but free information did too. So you are safe if no-one knows to ask.

NorthernTraveller
Scout
Scout

#58 Post by NorthernTraveller »

I wil keep this in mind. But now on to more pleasant topics. This is quite the little bash you organized. I certainly appreciate it and I hope it is the start of a successful working relationship.

NorthernTraveller
Scout
Scout

#59 Post by NorthernTraveller »

I will try to come up with some questions that keep my interest in the Droyne in the background while stil telling me about them. More to follow after Drake considers this some more (i.e. I review all of the posts looking for clues).

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Emmylou:
You are something of an enigma. Taciturn even. Most of your crew are chatty and having fun and you are quiet and withdrawn. I'm trying to work out if that masks something deep and thoughtful. What do you think?

And as to "Working relationship", you are off on your own path while we wend off on ours. Whatever that relationship is, it's likely to be distant.

Return to “Between The Cracks (Mongoose Traveller)”