Train to the Stars

ateno
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Train to the Stars

#161 Post by cybersavant »

bsongy wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:27 am "Gunnar, how many hours do we have on current fuel stores?" asks Hiro over the intercomm.
Gunnar Thunarssen "About 5 weeks."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#162 Post by bsongy »

"Yes, use the scoops," Dev says. "I can use the time. Once we're refuelled, I think we'll head to the starport, where I've got a meeting. Then we can return to Octavia."

"Aye." Replies Hiro, plotting a course towards an uninhabited ocean with calm weather on the planet. As he steers the ship towards the planet, Hiro begins to hum a ancient sea shanty.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#163 Post by ateno »

As you leave the asteroid.
"Garrett, can you determine what that activity near the starport is, using passive sensors only? It may be best not to draw attention to ourselves."
"Alright, lets see if I can figure this out." Garrett opens the station, and is able to configure a sensor station rather quickly. "It appears to be local about 3am, 2 ships on the tarmac and none either inbound or out close by, there are numerous small craft bussing around though. I think I see a outbound that is liable to jump any time.

Dev:
There are three lawyers advertised in the starport, given the time you leave message for two of them and the third you get someone who def was sleeping "Algos and associates, may I help you.". Given the situation, you hire him. You get the impression he is the youngest and hungriest of the 3 He tells you he cannot confirm or deny that he works for the "self made Baron in the mountains". But will set up a LLC shell company for you and look into other shell companies that might be available for purchase and will do a title search on the ship. He accepts a retainer of 500 and you agrees to communicate about noon the next day.

Staying quiet, the Train heads towards sun, going over what must be the largest landmass on the planet. Hitting the coast and looking for a landing spot, it appears there are small communities here by the slight amount of radio waves and a few sail ships. But the coast is no where near fully populated.

Setting down near a isthmus and balancing weight, you begin the process of gilling up water and processing it.

Your about 15 yards to land and the air is clearer here, but you still need a filter. About 6 hours later, 4pm local time. Three humans come up to the ship with a small wagon and begin trying to get your attention.

KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#164 Post by KoboldStew »

Dev assumes this guy is a better lawyer than she is, and acts on that basis. She wants Octavia to be unprepared for any negotiations, and spending a couple thousand for clearer rights to this ship will be worth it. She waits to hear if there is anything on the ship's history that can be traced.

If the other lawyers return her call, she can put them on retainer as well, just so they can't operate on behalf of Octavia. (and other assorted legal shenanigans; hungry is good, but sharp is better.)

Wen the three figures approach, Dev notices, and nudges the others.

"Looks like we have company" she observes, and goes to greet them (assuming she can do so safely. Perhaps it's'on the comms.

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#165 Post by bsongy »

Setting down near a isthmus and balancing weight, you begin the process of gilling up water and processing it.

Your about 15 yards to land and the air is clearer here, but you still need a filter. About 6 hours later, 4pm local time. Three humans come up to the ship with a small wagon and begin trying to get your attention.

Dev said:
Wen the three figures approach, Dev notices, and nudges the others.

"Looks like we have company" she observes, and goes to greet them (assuming she can do so safely. Perhaps it's'on the comms.

Hiro responds "Keep your microphone open, so we can hear if there is trouble." He will then go about his work nonchalantly, keeping busy checking on the fueling process, making no outward hostile action, knowing the flechette pistol is on his hip if needed.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#166 Post by cybersavant »

Gunnar Thunarssen holsters his stunner and stands back of the hatch, watching for any hostile movement as Dev ventures out to parlay.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#167 Post by KoboldStew »

"Hello ashore," says Dev (either emerging at an airlock and shouting, or over the comms, as appropriate).

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#168 Post by ateno »

Dev:
One of the lawyers contact you before you lose los. Again they say they can’t say who they are on retainer for, but will work in your interests. ””Here at Deleon we do our best for our clients. I can have a Title search by the end of the day.. She takes 700 cr by transfer.

You end up having to take a grav car over to meet the natives as they have no electronics except a base station. As you float at a safe distance from hand to hand they introduce themselves. ”I’m Keffer. Grey and Whole. Thanks for acknowledging us. Are you with Sam?”.

After the preliminaries, they offer ore, fish, livestock and some exotic woods at 60% firm. They would like many things that you don’t have including various food stuffs and luxury items. But one thing that you remember you have is power generators.

‘If you would like to talk a deal let’s go to the meeting house?”. Traveling there you see tons of bulk ore packed up on the side of town next to a small amount of fallen trees.

Pouring for everyone. We meld our liquor with a sweet grass to get rid of some harshness.. He makes sure that everyone has some and smiles. ’Across the stars.”. And he drinks with you.

Type Item available Price total
Basic Ore Coltan 17 600 10,200
Wood Birds eye maple 5 2400 12,000
Livestock Beasts of Burden 3 1500 4,500
Livestock Untrained riding animals 5 3000 15,000
Livestock meat animals 4 420 1,680
Freight to starport 2 600 1200

Total 44,580cr

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#169 Post by bsongy »

. ”I’m Keffer. Grey and Whole. Thanks for acknowledging us. Are you with Sam?”.

Hearing this over the the open mic of the comms, Hiro thinks to himself "I wonder who Sam is?"

After the preliminaries, they offer ore, fish, livestock and some exotic woods at 60% firm. They would like many things that you don’t have including various food stuffs and luxury items. But one thing that you remember you have is power generators.

Type Item available Price total
Basic Ore Coltan 17 600 10,200
Wood Birds eye maple 5 2400 12,000
Livestock Beasts of Burden 3 1500 4,500
Livestock Untrained riding animals 5 3000 15,000
Livestock meat animals 4 420 1,680
Freight to starport 2 600 1200

Total 44,580cr

Hiro, hearing the discussion about cargo being offered, realizes that in his single mindeness he had not really explored the cargo carrying capacity of the ship. "No matter. I am sure Dev has the matter well in hand." he thinnks.

KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#170 Post by KoboldStew »

("Are you with Sam?") "No, we're not," Dev says enthusiastically, "But we're happy to take some of your cargo for you, Keffer."

"We will certainly take the ore, wood, and freight. Let me talk to my colleagues as to whether we have room for the livestock,"
she says.

"Don't suppose you are interested in any saffron?" she asks.

Dev is not a broker, and she's not going to push any of this too hard. Any aggressive haggling and she's out. The prices seem fair, but she doesn't know how fragile the animals will be and if there is a ready market. Profits form this run, though, might cover some of the legal expenses.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#171 Post by ateno »

KoboldStew wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:06 pm"We will certainly take the ore, wood, and freight. Let me talk to my colleagues as to whether we have room for the livestock," [/color]she says.

"Don't suppose you are interested in any saffron?" she asks.
I could give you 700 a kilo, if its as fresh as it can be, if its dried, I can give you 500.
Price is not bad, but undercut. But you remember in the upper circles, prices are higher.

Garrett texts you, "Unless you have a set buyer, I would not take any animals except the meat livestock. I suspect they would sell in starport well."

Keffer "Back your ship back to a shore and we will assist you in loading. And thank you so much for taking our freight, Sam wont cause It takes up room.

Actions?

KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#172 Post by KoboldStew »

In response to the offer for the Saffron, Dev shrugs, and says, "No worries. I'm looking for twice that. But we will take the dry goods and freight, and the meat animals." She quickly texts garret back a thank you for the advice.

Assuming the ship can be backed up to the shore after refuelling, Dev coordinates the load-up and prepares to head to the starport. She will pay for everything herself right now, and will use any profits to begin to create a ship fund.

If the guy wants to haggle over the saffron or tyhe other animals, she will listen to him.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#173 Post by ateno »

Keffer shakes hands on the deal and dies the math with you:

Charge for dry goods and cattle: 23,880
Payment for delivering freight to starport: 1,200

Dev pays 22.680 to Kefer and they shake hands and have a second drink.

Even though the ship is pumping and refining, it can move slowly to the beach, where a aluminum deck is pulled out of the barn and the locals help maneuvering it to the rear of the ship.

The ship opens up from the rear and Garrett is there to meet it.

The deck is placed on the aft and people begin to carry the cargo by hand and hand operated wheeled assistance.

The bovine like animals are led in and tied to the wall and given food to eat.

To load and batten down takes about 3 hours which is just about the time required to scoop the fuel.

Gunnar reports the ready tank is about 2 thirds full and it will take a day and a half to fully process the water.

Everyone says good bye and the ship raises about 5 hours after touchdown, heading for the starport, as you cross into los, its about 1145am in the starport and you note that the starport does not allow refining while within 1000 yards of the startport.

Dev:

No notice from the lawyer(s).

KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#174 Post by KoboldStew »

The cargo loaded, Deb makers her way to the lounge in the ship. The bar, of course, has not been stocked, and the door t the crystal meth lab is still jammed open by the ventilation tubes they had been using, drawing from a duct of some kind that she knew was no longer connected t the ship's ventilation systems.

She thought about returning to her stateroom (was she already calling it her's?), but instead made her way to the bridge. The lack of message from the lawyers is not concerning her at this point (unless it is?). The paperwork has begun.

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#175 Post by bsongy »

Keffer "Back your ship back to a shore and we will assist you in loading. And thank you so much for taking our freight, Sam wont cause It takes up room.

Dev said:
Assuming the ship can be backed up to the shore after refuelling,

"I can get the ship moved as soon as we finished fueling." replies Hiro over the radio. After coordinating with Gunnar, when the fueling process is finished, Hiro assist in stowing the hoses and pumps, preps the ship, and gently lifts the ship guiding towards the shore, turning it so the loading ramp is facing the locals.

Dev said:
Dev coordinates the load-up and prepares to head to the starport. She will pay for everything herself right now, and will use any profits to begin to create a ship fund.

Hiro will take Dev's direction, and assist with loading the cargo, insuring the the animals are properly secured to one side, and if the crates are sturdy enough, lash the crates in a row, forming a low wall, providing some restriction to the movement of the animals if they break loose. If instead, the crates look too flimsy, Hiro will rig several taught cables, to form a similar barrier to escaped animals.

Everyone says good bye and the ship raises about 5 hours after touchdown

At the helm, in the cockpit, Hiro takes a few quick pictures of the locals with his hand computer, before turning the ship and departing.

Dev said:
The cargo loaded, Deb makers her way to the lounge in the ship....(and then)...made her way to the bridge

Hiro notes Dev's entry. "That went well. Let's see if the next step goes just as smoothly." he says while piloting, a smirk upon his face.

Hiro listens with interest to anything Dev has to say.

He thens holds his right hand up, his right thumb touching his right temple. "This is the sign for 'I think'. When we are in discussions with Octavia Blue, you may see things I don't notice. If you think there is going to be violence, give that gesture. I will take it to mean 'I think there will be a fight'. Not 'attack now!'. It just means 'I THINK there will be a fight.' Any questions or comments?"

KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#176 Post by KoboldStew »

Dev accepts Hiro's signal when she teaches it to her, and smiles at his forethought. She touches her temple appropriately, and adds the words "<<I think>> we'll be in deeper trouble than a warning sign might allow us to take advantage of..." and she explains the silence from the lawyers, which she will investigate once the animals, and perhaps the cargo, are sold.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#177 Post by ateno »

So are we going to the star port or Octavia.

KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#178 Post by KoboldStew »

Star port first -- I think we are all on board with accepting the ship. There are live animals (at least) that we want off the ship, wardrobe (and other things) we want on the ship, and the non-responsive lawyers to contact/investigate.

Maybe other things too.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#179 Post by ateno »

You approach the Starport and make contact.

After you get assigned a Landing berth Starport D, and verbally agree to the 'terms and conditions' but before you make an approach the comm line opens again.

"Train, Train this is Starport, it appears the info we have on you is a bit old, we would like to board you and gather information and check your cargo.

About 15 minutes from starport, a private call from Algos and associates comes in for Dev.
The current owner is a shell company owned by Octavia, "I know cause I did one for him 5 years ago, he makes a new one and transfers it around every few years. He has owned it for about three decades. There are no liens or problems with ownership besides Octavias obfuscation. Our company can act as as the purchase lawyer if you wish, that should be close to you pre-payment, A ships history will take quite some time as I have to send messages by scout, do you want to go thru with that?"

Does the crew want to act as brokers or hire the only broker on station, Haribro advertises as well experience Broker-2

The Train lands and a small vehicle drives up with 3 people in it with clipboards.

"Permission to enter?"

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#180 Post by bsongy »

Dev accepts Hiro's signal when she teaches it to her, and smiles at his forethought. She touches her temple appropriately, and adds the words "<<I think>> we'll be in deeper trouble than a warning sign might allow us to take advantage of..." and she explains the silence from the lawyers, which she will investigate once the animals, and perhaps the cargo, are sold.

Hiro takes on a grim look, and agrees "That is troubling."

After a few minutes, he asks Dev "Octavia or Starport first?"

Dev responds: Star port first...

Hiro banks the ship starboard, vectoring for the landing pattern of the starport.

"Train, Train this is Starport, it appears the info we have on you is a bit old, we would like to board you and gather information and check your cargo.

Hiro gives Dev a look, to see if she has anything to say.

About 15 minutes from starport, a private call from Algos and associates comes in for Dev.
The current owner is a shell company owned by Octavia, "I know cause I did one for him 5 years ago, he makes a new one and transfers it around every few years. He has owned it for about three decades. There are no liens or problems with ownership besides Octavias obfuscation. Our company can act as as the purchase lawyer if you wish, that should be close to you pre-payment, A ships history will take quite some time as I have to send messages by scout, do you want to go thru with that?"

"Them acting as purchase lawyers, as well as requesting the ship's history, sounds acceptable to me. What do you think, Dev?"

Does the crew want to act as brokers or hire the only broker on station, Haribro advertises as well experience Broker-2

"Can any of the crew act as broker? Do you have any such experience?"

The Train lands and a small vehicle drives up with 3 people in it with clipboards.
"Permission to enter?"

"Garrett, Gunnar and myself; I think each of us should keep an eye on one boarder, insuring that they do not tamper with anything, and so forth. That will free Dev to do her thing, without having to monitor them. Comments, Questions, Problems?"

Hiro listens to what the crew has to say and comments.

Then, Hiro checks his sidearms, holsters them, and then puts on a friendly face.

Once the inspectors are onboard, Hiro insures to lock the airlock behind them.

Return to “Koninkrijk - Adventures in a Pocket Empire (Mongoose Traveller)”