Chapter Nine: Year 300, 6th Day

BackworldTraveller
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter Nine: Year 300, 6th Day

#661 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Noor

"Captain. I've got a tug lined up if we need it. I'm going to pay the retainer out of my own funds, just as a precaution." Noor explains the situation and lets Indrani know that gossip is spreading.

"You could sell your story, if desired, to recoup some costs."

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#662 Post by The Bindoner »

Monsieur Rose wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:30 pm Noor

"Captain. I've got a tug lined up if we need it. I'm going to pay the retainer out of my own funds, just as a precaution." Noor explains the situation and lets Indrani know that gossip is spreading.

Nālani, still in the pilot's seat, observes: If we are going to sell our story I ought to edit our video recordings. Images would improve the price, and we can polish events to show only what we want.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#663 Post by joertexas »

The Bindoner wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:44 pm
Monsieur Rose wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:30 pm Noor

Nālani, still in the pilot's seat, observes: If we are going to sell our story I ought to edit our video recordings. Images would improve the price, and we can polish events to show only what we want.
"Let's make sure we don't put a divot in the South Pole here," Indrani says dryly. "Do we have a good lock on our landing beacon?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#664 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The approach is routine, but the bad cameras make the final docking procedure a bit trickier than usual. Pilot roll - 3D6, take the worst 2D6 +Skill + Dex for 6+

Below you is the south-pole spaceport. Definitely smaller than the one at the North Pole but now busy as the closure of that port has diverted some traffic to here.

From your collective residences on the asteroid, you will recall a commercial rivalry between the two ports - and (unfounded) suggestions that the corporation that operates the South-Pole facility were in collusion with the Taktsang Pirates that attacked the North-Pole during the Battle of Sparks in 298.

The major feature of the view of the south pole from space is the yacht-port. This is a facility with over 200 berths for craft of under 300 dTons (many under 50dTons) overseen by a grand construction known as the "Asteroid Racing Association Building" which glitters spectacularly as it has a gold-leaf surface (for heat management purposes, obviously).

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#665 Post by The Bindoner »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:58 am The approach is routine, but the bad cameras make the final docking procedure a bit trickier than usual. Pilot roll - 3D6, take the worst 2D6 +Skill + Dex for 6+
Nālani fleetingly considers taking her time over the approach, for safety, but the realisation that the destination is the yacht dock and there are many eyes on the Queen piques her pride, so she determines to take the ship in as though it were an undamaged vessel on a normal day.

She puts her earbuds in, using music to isolate herself and aid her concentration as she takes the Queen in to the ARAB Port on one camera and the beacons.

Roll: [_3d6]=(5+5+2)=12

Lowest: 5+2 =7

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#666 Post by joertexas »

The Bindoner wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:07 pm
BackworldTraveller wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:58 am The approach is routine, but the bad cameras make the final docking procedure a bit trickier than usual. Pilot roll - 3D6, take the worst 2D6 +Skill + Dex for 6+
Nālani fleetingly considers taking her time over the approach, for safety, but the realisation that the destination is the yacht dock and there are many eyes on the Queen piques her pride, so she determines to take the ship in as though it were an undamaged vessel on a normal day.

She puts her earbuds in, using music to isolate herself and aid her concentration as she takes the Queen in to the ARAB Port on one camera and the beacons.

Roll: [_3d6]=(5+5+2)=12

Lowest: 5+2 =7
"Gently, now, we don't know how much damage we have," Indrani cautions quietly. She keys the radio again. "Traffic Control, Queen of the Belt is at five kilometers, established on final. Please verify that we are cleared to land."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#667 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Queen of the belt, we have eyes on and you are cleared for landing. Pad Y8-14. Landing beacon active. There is a cargo hauler docking on pad C27 6km distant - otherwise the space is clear.

On the crew-deck, Zid receives a message and informs you all: I have been told that the investigation of the attack on this vessel is to be investigated by the Starflight Inc. team, but that it is to be directed by one of my colleagues as I am "Personally involved". I'm astounded by the genius of my colleagues ability to state the obvious. Anyway, they will be wanting to take statements - it seems that they have found 8 bodies so far, and they are still searching.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#668 Post by joertexas »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:58 am Queen of the belt, we have eyes on and you are cleared for landing. Pad Y8-14. Landing beacon active. There is a cargo hauler docking on pad C27 6km distant - otherwise the space is clear.

On the crew-deck, Zid receives a message and informs you all: I have been told that the investigation of the attack on this vessel is to be investigated by the Starflight Inc. team, but that it is to be directed by one of my colleagues as I am "Personally involved". I'm astounded by the genius of my colleagues ability to state the obvious. Anyway, they will be wanting to take statements - it seems that they have found 8 bodies so far, and they are still searching.
"Queen is cleared to land, Pad Y-eight-one-four," Indrani reads back their instructions. She verifies that the beacon code matches the pad's ID. (Presuming that it does...)

She looks to Nalani. "Okay, we're cleared to land, and you have the correct beacon."

She keys the comm to Engineering. "Reven, we're on final now. Stand by for docking. Hopefully, we didn't break anything vital."

Indrani then opens the all-hands channel. "Everyone please go to your landing stations. We will arrive in three minutes."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#669 Post by cybersavant »

joertexas wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:51 pm She keys the comm to Engineering. "Reven, we're on final now. Stand by for docking. Hopefully, we didn't break anything vital."
Reven Stiilpahth "Acknowledged. Engineering ready." Reven straps in and gets ready to assist.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#670 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The nerve strain is relieved by an adequate approach and landing by Nālani. The nearby cargo lifter is well out of the way. Indeed, the whole process is a complete anti-climax. You end in the docking cradle, stood vertically with the rear end about 3m above the pad floor. An air-lock connector clamps onto the crew-airlock.

You are met at the bay by a dock official who has a 5dTon secure container on a cargo trolley (outside in teh vacuum) and who will release it (after a few moments checking the captain's registry) to the captain of the "Queen of the Belt" only. He notes that the container, and storage space in the port container store has been rented for 10 years with 4 years still to run on the contract.

As is common on yacht ports, there is little to see. The berms prevent observation from ground level, and even coming in, only one berth seems to have any external activity. Most of the vessels are waiting for the weekend rush.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#671 Post by joertexas »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:17 am The nerve strain is relieved by an adequate approach and landing by Nālani. The nearby cargo lifter is well out of the way. Indeed, the whole process is a complete anti-climax. You end in the docking cradle, stood vertically with the rear end about 3m above the pad floor. An air-lock connector clamps onto the crew-airlock.

You are met at the bay by a dock official who has a 5dTon secure container on a cargo trolley (outside in teh vacuum) and who will release it (after a few moments checking the captain's registry) to the captain of the "Queen of the Belt" only. He notes that the container, and storage space in the port container store has been rented for 10 years with 4 years still to run on the contract.

As is common on yacht ports, there is little to see. The berms prevent observation from ground level, and even coming in, only one berth seems to have any external activity. Most of the vessels are waiting for the weekend rush.
Indrani meets the port official and signs for the cargo container.

"Pranit, we have a container to bring into the cargo bay, but we will need to depressurize it first."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#672 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The container doesn't look anything special - but it does have a keypad on the outside with a display above it. It also has a note about the weight: It must be made of something complex or be almost solid!

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#673 Post by joertexas »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:25 pm The container doesn't look anything special - but it does have a keypad on the outside with a display above it. It also has a note about the weight: It must be made of something complex or be almost solid!
With Pranit's (and whomever else wants to assist) help, Indrani depressurizes the cargo bay, carefully brings the container aboard, and re-pressurizes the bay.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#674 Post by cybersavant »

Reven Stiilpahth contacts Nālani once the Queen is docked. "When we have some downtime i'd like you to help me run some sims - blind piloting from engineering."
gaming since 1980

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#675 Post by The Bindoner »

cybersavant wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:22 am Reven Stiilpahth contacts Nālani once the Queen is docked. "When we have some downtime i'd like you to help me run some sims - blind piloting from engineering."
Nālani, on her way to see the mysterious secure cargo module, replies: I will be happy to do that. I think you will be teaching me though, nah?

I will model a variety of docks. It will be a very dull holo for the trainee. Amusing for the viewer, perhaps.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#676 Post by ateno »

joertexas wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:16 pm "Pranit, we have a container to bring into the cargo bay, but we will need to depressurize it first."
"Aye sir, be right there.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#677 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The depressurisation process is routine, and the cargo container loads into the hold pretty effortlessly. The only issue is that it's locked and the only clue is the keypad. Whatever the code is is a number!

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#678 Post by The Bindoner »

Nālani regards the keypad with a jaundiced eye: I think we ought to get Assana to look at this.

She gives a conspiratorial grin: I should probably catch up with Zid while she does.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#679 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Maggie

Since she is not involved in flying the Queen, she goes to talk with Pranit about repairs and replacements.
SpinwardMarch

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#680 Post by cybersavant »

The Bindoner wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:48 am Nālani, on her way to see the mysterious secure cargo module, replies: I will be happy to do that. I think you will be teaching me though, nah?
I will model a variety of docks. It will be a very dull holo for the trainee. Amusing for the viewer, perhaps.
Reven Stiilpahth "A session with you will be anything BUT boring, and I think i just got lucky."
gaming since 1980

Return to “A new Heaven? A new Earth (Traveller)”