[SEMC] Forward Thoughts

Tiglath
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [SEMC] Forward Thoughts

#61 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:46 pm Tiglath's plans might have changed, but I get the impression that 4DC are trying to poach Skip, so we may have to replace him.
Since he's currently out of comission, could be a tough conversation. :)

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by shaidar »

Assuming that he's now being treated on The Star, he could be awake by the time we get back to Collace.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by joertexas »

Maybe it's a bit early to ask, but where are we on the unit's composition?
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Vitt seems to be hinting at an end of contract.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Leitz »

While we collect Guard ARCs and whatnot, keep in mind that different models likely require different tools and procedures for support. There are lots of reasons most armies standardized their weapons inventories. :)

SEMC probably needs to ensure we pick a good supplier, and train the troops on basic maintenance. We can use the extras for training, and if we need to go somewhere without our standard gear.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by shaidar »

Well if we need to standardise those other ACRs will be worth something as trade-in.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by joertexas »

shaidar wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:53 pm Well if we need to standardise those other ACRs will be worth something as trade-in.
I would think that the Imperial models would be standard, and that everything else would fit them. Even Swordy weapons probably interchange with them. That's probably not true with Zho, Vargr, or Aslan weapons, though.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Tiglath »

My view is that there is an both an Imperial standard, plus copies thereof (both better and worse) and locally produced variants (this being 268). Swordy weapons would be standard per homeworld due to their slightly independent nature but ammo and tools would be interchangeable (because they are very pragmatic). Vargr and even moreso Aslan weapons would be ergonomically different enough to be awkward to handle for humans (aslan thumbs are in the wrist not atop the hand). FWIW Vargr gear would fix with a field conversion kit (broadly a change of grips) Aslan gear has more fundamental design issues. On any system Aslan males favour fewer and bigger buttons for functionality!

Points awarded for any who noticed Major Wagner's men have bullpup configured ACRs (but in 9mm).

https://zhodani.space/wp-content/upload ... dsArms.pdf

You continued acquisition of loot means you are gathering and are in credit for "war materiel" which is a good place to be! ;)
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by shaidar »

I've heard of bullpup in passing before, now I know what it means :)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:01 pm I've heard of bullpup in passing before, now I know what it means :)
It's a good design for close in work, but the trigger tends to be worse than the shorter linkages of the standard design. For a battle weapon, especially in urban or shipboard, a bullpup would be cool. Prerna's team wouldn't likely care for them.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by shaidar »

If we've lot Skip and gained Kit, we haven't moved forward with the number of squads, so I assume we will need to recruit another officer?

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Maybe Freya should just return to shuttle flying!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:22 pm If we've lot Skip and gained Kit, we haven't moved forward with the number of squads, so I assume we will need to recruit another officer?
Not really, we're already over-staffed on officers. A corporal leads a fire team of four, a sergeant leads a squad of two fire teams, and an LT leads a platoon of two regular squads and maybe a fire-team of machine guns or mortars. That's not the only way to do it, but an LT leads twenty or so troops. Bringing Kit aboard gives us flexibility and room for growth. Especially if we're gaining vehicles.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by shaidar »

Ok, so our officers are actually light on troops under them. That makes sense and makes things easier.
BackworldTraveller wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:34 pm Maybe Freya should just return to shuttle flying!
I don't know if this was aimed at me because I said about getting more officers, but Freya is a civilian, it would not make sense to give her squads of men to take into combat like the current officers we have. As I alluded to before we need to find a technical niche for her in the team.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by The Bindoner »

Ok, so our officers are actually light on troops under them. That makes sense and makes things easier.
Yes, we should really have many soldiers under command of each PC, so expanding existing teams to sections is easy, even platoons eventually.

I don't know if this was aimed at me because I said about getting more officers, but Freya is a civilian, it would not make sense to give her squads of men to take into combat like the current officers we have. As I alluded to before we need to find a technical niche for her in the team.
It seems unlikely troopers would be happy to be under command of a Scout/civvy just yet, but after an operation or so that shouldn't matter - Freya just needs to build on the reputation she established in the last skirmish.

Re: non-standard weapons - Jess can trade in any weapons and equipment the SEMC has no no use for. Mr Solomon will give us a decent rate of exchange I'm sure. :)

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Tiglath »

IC update shortly but thought I'd clarify matters here. You have to balance size vs elite led squads. For now you are well suited to commando ops - that's daring raids as opposed to a reckless / Hibernean approach to nether garments.

Freya is disadvantaged (unfairly perhaps but understandably) in that the rank and file don't "know/think they know" what a scout is as a military entity. They know and understand "Marines" but have no frame of reference for "Scout" and so she is "reputation neutral". However, from the last op she will have a reputation as a fearsome shootist in CQB, her technical knowhow, for needing minders whilst "being independent" and for being a "hot" Droyne - whatever one of those actually is...

Re: Solomon. Your looted ACRs and other gear would amount to a "Materiel" credit as per the Merc Book. I haven't read them all yet but find myself "nodding along" with the author's ideas which is always gratifying. :)
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by joertexas »

We are still considering a platoon-sized unit, correct?
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Better a good platoon than a rubbish company

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Leitz »

I think a Company will wind up being the right size. We'll need support for the vehicles and gear, and if we're going to run electronics then tech and support for that. Some of the teams may be NPC driven, perhaps each PC has an "action" team and also a "support" team to manage so Frank/shaidar doesn't have to do it all.

Addendum Using the German Boxer as a design prototype, crew of three plus up to eight troops. So, one combat squad carried and one fire-team with the vehicle. Two vehicles carries a platoon, and we need one vehicle for mobile command post (MCP). Adding platoons of two vehicles doesn't require another MCP, but a far vehicle (ship, ship's boat) with data analysts and medical facilities is required. All of those vehicles need support crews and machinery to support. Perhaps depot level maintenance back at Collace, but that's still staff in the unit.

An alternative would be more training and diverse skills, so that vehicles could be gotten "on site" and maintenance not be an issue. That would allow for a smaller head count unit and lean towards a more elite unit.

As an aside, having a "back area" where invalidated out staff can go is a plus. If SEMC is running a training section then that means a trooper who loses an arm or a leg isn't tossed aside.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by The Bindoner »

I don't think we've got the time, opportunity or budget to go beyond platoon for now. Recruit who we can, get a new ticket, expand again.

From a gaming perspective I think company is about as big as will be fun to play - beyond that the PCs are too far from the action.
As an aside, having a "back area" where invalidated out staff can go is a plus. If SEMC is running a training section then that means a trooper who loses an arm or a leg isn't tossed aside.
Voss gives us credit as an equal opportunities employer :)

Return to “District 268 Year 1105 (CT/CE Traveller)”