Postkorskott (01)

ateno
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Postkorskott (01)

#1 Post by ateno »

Gunnar - After some travelling either as work for travel or bumming rides you have made it to Postkorskott where there is easy work for a gun hand.

You have been sent for a interview with Octavia Blue. A potential job as security for a self styled security consultant who you realize works primarily for the underground.

Octavia is sitting in the back of a cluttered meeting room, many files are askew, areas are dark, seemingly on purpose, There is a large meeting table in the middle of the room made from Birds eye maple, inlayed with turquoise. He is sitting in back in a slightly shadowed area at what looks like a locally made roll top desk.

He notices you approach, turns on his high tech swivel chair.

"Greeting, Gunnar, so you were a Captain in the Marines, and you are smart and have other skills. I just don't want someone that can shoot, I want someone that can think. Someone that can act in my interests independently and not afraid of a little intimidation in my name. Single room, food, booze from my coffers, 200 credits a week to start. So tell me what else will make me decide to hire you?"

-----

Dev - You have been asked to meet with a Mr. Blue on Postkorskott regarding your ship and a proposition. Intrigued, you are able to gather the equivalent of a middle passage at a lowered price from a hand to mouth merchant that enjoys having you on board for the 3 weeks it takes from Prasanskaran.

Arriving in Lowport and clearing customs (what there is of it), you find much of the initial blanket merchants selling hand woven filter masks, usually under warning signs of the volcanic ash that permeate the atmosphere.

Walking into the main lobby, you find there are about 5-6 dozen different ferries to other camps or settlements. You find a banner for 'Black Mountain - Heishan' (as you have been told) and there is a young man under the banner looking hopeful. As you step forward; "22 creds, 30 minutes if you only have personal bags Miss."

-----

Garett - You and the crew are near the end of the dig initiated by the finding of seemingly 10,000 year old 'cave paintings' by miners.
The paintings show what some say are 'aliens with weapons' The paintings are done in natural colors that have hardly faded despite the years.
The strange humanoid paintings are seen holding weapon-like objects and do not have clear features. Specially, the nose and mouth are missing.

Examining the floor yielded little evidence beyond the supposition that this was at one time a living area and items that support that was found.
A small ivory like highly carved stylus item was found, approximately 4" long tapers from a 1/3" round to a point. Seems to be beyond the tech level of building, but will be collected by the university for study.

You have been asked to stay with 2 other students to finish up and refill the digs, which should be 1 more full day. You note your final pay stub shows pay for 2 extra days and the agreed on middle passage good for a trip to Whaiaro. 150 credits. You stay at a barracks like arrangement that has been granted by a Mr. Blue, who is happy to have 'real work' happening in his area. Upon returning and freshening up, you are asked if you want in on the evening game by some of his guards and staff.

---

Hiro - You oversee the navigation of the 'Sekushīna Sutīdo' towards waiting orbit for clearance to land. The crew is anxious to get off the
failing ship, the navigator power cycles his repeater and in a practiced motion takes 2 steps to the captains repeater to give recommendations for courses.

Booty has been split and everyone is happy with their share, though a bit underwhelmed at the choice of Postkorskott to disembark. You have been asked to arrive to consider a financial deal to your benefit. You figure you can find a new crew here and take your ship into her next adventure, as long as the main starboard strut keeps its integrity during landfall.

The XO announces. "Captain we have been cleared to land at a underground hanger at 'Black Mountain - Heishan', it appears large enough, and there will not be a landing fee. Do we have your permission to land?"

Rhonin84
Strider
Strider

Re: Postkorskott (01)

#2 Post by Rhonin84 »

Garett - You and the crew are near the end of the dig initiated by the finding of seemingly 10,000 year old 'cave paintings' by miners.
The paintings show what some say are 'aliens with weapons' The paintings are done in natural colors that have hardly faded despite the years.
The strange humanoid paintings are seen holding weapon-like objects and do not have clear features. Specially, the nose and mouth are missing.

Examining the floor yielded little evidence beyond the supposition that this was at one time a living area and items that support that was found.
A small ivory like highly carved stylus item was found, approximately 4" long tapers from a 1/3" round to a point. Seems to be beyond the tech level of building, but will be collected by the university for study.

You have been asked to stay with 2 other students to finish up and refill the digs, which should be 1 more full day. You note your final pay stub shows pay for 2 extra days and the agreed on middle passage good for a trip to Whaiaro. 150 credits. You stay at a barracks like arrangement that has been granted by a Mr. Blue, who is happy to have 'real work' happening in his area. Upon returning and freshening up, you are asked if you want in on the evening game by some of his guards and staff.

Making sure that everything has been recorded correctly from the days finds, asking Leena and Pasqual to go over the last of the packing lists. Heading back to the barracks for a cup of tea and a long hot shower. Submitting the clothes for cleaning and receiving the message about the extra funds and a chance to do a little gambling. "Well this might just add up to a more profitable night." Change into some more comfortable casual clothes and walk over to where the game is going to be held.

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by bsongy »

Hiro - You oversee the navigation of the 'Sekushīna Sutīdo' towards waiting orbit for clearance to land. The crew is anxious to get off the
failing ship, the navigator power cycles his repeater and in a practiced motion takes 2 steps to the captains repeater to give recommendations for courses.

Booty has been split and everyone is happy with their share, though a bit underwhelmed at the choice of Postkorskott to disembark. You have been asked to arrive to consider a financial deal to your benefit. You figure you can find a new crew here and take your ship into her next adventure, as long as the main starboard strut keeps its integrity during landfall.

The XO announces. "Captain we have been cleared to land at a underground hanger at 'Black Mountain - Heishan', it appears large enough, and there will not be a landing fee. Do we have your permission to land?"

"I will take her in myself" replies Hiro, taking the pilots chair. Being extra careful of yaw acceleration, not wanting to aggravate the starboard strut, Hiro brings his ship on a conservative, gentle glide slope. Landing in the designated bay, Hiro's attention is more on what is going inside the ship. Standing, Hiro says "XO announce liberty and dismiss the crew." as he takes a casual stance in the bow-ward portion of the bridge, his cutlass and pistol close at hand on his gun belt. He thinks "If the crew is going to try anything it will be now", waiting for the crew to gather their things and depart the ship. If there is no trouble from the crew, Hiro decides to secure the ship then head out to look for his business contact.

KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#4 Post by KoboldStew »

Dev has arrived, and is immediately uncomfortable on the planet surface. Her step never has the lightness that it has on a ship when she feels real gravity, and there is a sour taste in her mouth. She has bought a small mask that catches her fancy because of the beadwork in the clasp, and does not bother to barter or try it on (5cr).

When she is approached, she laughs, "I have several bags on the ship, actually. Yes, that one, there. But I'm happy to pay for a few extra seats if you want to load them all up for me. Carefully now. Or I can check into a hotel and leave my belongings there, and I can find a guide in an hour or so." Dev pulls on the mask, and adjusts the single bag she carries over her shoulder.

If there's any hesitation, she starts looking for a place to store her belongings safely.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by cybersavant »

Octavia Blue.

"Greeting, Gunnar, so you were a Captain in the Marines, and you are smart and have other skills. I just don't want someone that can shoot, I want someone that can think. Someone that can act in my interests independently and not afraid of a little intimidation in my name. Single room, food, booze from my coffers, 200 credits a week to start. So tell me what else will make me decide to hire you?"
Gunnar Thunarssen Gunner remains standing. "I have one question - what is your definition of a little intimidation?"
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by ateno »

Garrett-
You head to the game and there are the usual 2 guards and 2 techs, one of the techs seems to have experience in the game, but it appears that he is not insightful enough to work with the other 3 to fleece you. After 5 hours of playing, 0ne guard and one tech is out, the second guard is down 100, you are up 100, the other tech is up 300. I'm ok with walking away I know your leaving tomorrow and I don't want any hard feelings. He looks at the guard still in the game. One way or another. If you care to finish the game, roll 2d6 and and add 2 for INT. It will be against the guard and the tech with gambler skill.

----

Gunnar'
"I have one question - what is your definition of a little intimidation?"

Octavia looks at you and smiles then open mouth smiles. "Oh your still very by the book, I understand. Lets just say on occasion I will need you to enforce my point of view to a peer or competitor in my place. I send you out to gain a item set asked for me or gather information, I expect you to use you skills to accomplish the mission. There is no political officer or legal attaché that is in this battalion.
He turns to his desk without a squeak and presses a button.
"I've ordered some wine to seal our deal. I will allow you to choose and I will take first drink, I understand paranoia

----

Dev-
When she is approached, she laughs, "I have several bags on the ship, actually. Yes, that one, there. But I'm happy to pay for a few extra seats if you want to load them all up for me. Carefully now. Or I can check into a hotel and leave my belongings there, and I can find a guide in an hour or so." Dev pulls on the mask, and adjusts the single bag she carries over her shoulder.

"Mum, I know a place that will take your bags and ship them to a location, they are by the book and vetted. Just show your ticket and tell them what you want to do and they will take care of it for you, if you wish. They are right there, I can show you."
The young man points to a sign about 120' feet away, Postkorskott Downport Baggage Service is on the sign and seems to your well trained eye as legit. "They take your bags and I can still take you to where you are going."

----

Hiro-
You pass the pad personnel, a man with a hand comp and a high tech monocle of some sort waits for you. "Captain Hiro, follow me please, dinner is in 7 hours and we have prepared a room with thermal heating for the water, it will never run out. In the meantime, I will have some food sent to your room, yes?
The room is almost 3 times the size of your expanded stateroom with a entertainment system, booze tray, full master bath, jacuzzi pool and with a bit of snooping a small sauna room.

Actions?

Rhonin84
Strider
Strider

#7 Post by Rhonin84 »

Garrett-
Taking a look at the competition thinking, playing with house money why not. The technician, Pierce was his name, he was the competition. Cool customer who knew how to play the cards, the other one Anders, he has gotten by on pure luck.

Well this is all I have [2d6+2]=7+2=9

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by bsongy »

Hiro freshens up in the bathroom, but only briefly, before heading back out to the pad area, touring all the nooks and crannies, checking out any vendors or bars, watching the cargo operations, chatting with any of the seedier types, asking about their wares, all in effort to get a feel for what kind of operations are going on or any clue on who the mysterious patron is.

Streetwise to gather information on the facility or patron [2d6+1]=7+1=8

KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#9 Post by KoboldStew »

Dev looks at the signs, sees the uniformed figures behind the desk of the shipping, and accepts the boy's help. She takes the receipt for the insurance and the id ticket, and prepares to travel. She convinces a fruit vendor to let her try some of the local plums, and she catches the juice running down her chin with her thumb.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by cybersavant »

I send you out to gain a item set asked for me or gather information, I expect you to use you skills to accomplish the mission. There is no political officer or legal attaché that is in this battalion. "I've ordered some wine to seal our deal. I will allow you to choose and I will take first drink, I understand paranoia
Gunnar Thunarssen "The deal is set. I give you my word as an officer. Normally i don't drink wine, but to seal the deal in your custom, i will take a small sip."
gaming since 1980

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Postkorskott (01) - Garrett

#11 Post by ateno »

Rhonin84 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:02 pm Garrett-
Taking a look at the competition thinking, playing with house money why not. The technician, Pierce was his name, he was the competition. Cool customer who knew how to play the cards, the other one Anders, he has gotten by on pure luck.
Well this is all I have [2d6+2]=7+2=9
Over the next hour, Anders goes 10 in the hole to Pierce, losing a total of 60. I work with him so I can take a marker for 10.

You lose 40 and can see the writing on the wall, hes a steady player to your inexperience and the two of you shake hands to end the game.
Your smart and can remember cards, but you will learn to read live people as well as dead ones if you want to get better.

You head to the rack and wake and shower and have breakfast.

You get to the site and Leena is there working, she seems to have been there a while.
"Pasquel will be late he had a big fight with the lover he picked up here. Basically he wants her to follow him back away from the criminal and she wants to keep her good job working as flight deck controller. They broke up, he cried till 4am, YAWN.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by ateno »

bsongy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:45 am Hiro freshens up in the bathroom, but only briefly, before heading back out to the pad area, touring all the nooks and crannies, checking out any vendors or bars, watching the cargo operations, chatting with any of the seedier types, asking about their wares, all in effort to get a feel for what kind of operations are going on or any clue on who the mysterious patron is.

Streetwise to gather information on the facility or patron [2d6+1]=7+1=8
You enter after a quick freshen up and there is a platter of several types of preserved or jerked goat and cheeses and a litre of hot tea that smell of lavender on the small dining table.

You take your filter mask with you and head out. The pad is not very busy, you see that your ship has been moved to a corner with no damage.
You note that there is a constant pressure air flow that greatly reduces the ash count. While looking around a small luxury flyer takes off and heads at high speed towards the exit. Locals seems pissed but no excitement.

With your roll you find that Octavia Blue, your contact, used to participate directly in criminal acts or had his gang do things for him. He is now a 'criminal consultant' Gathering information and selling it, a bit of bartering for items, assisting others with ideas, but always with a layer of deniability. He is mostly fair as long as he is dealt with the same.

A older man, claiming to be a vet of the Banyeogja rebellion, after gathering a few credits from you for the info says that Octavia is not really interested in the surrounding area, just his little empire in the mountain.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by ateno »

KoboldStew wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:25 am Dev looks at the signs, sees the uniformed figures behind the desk of the shipping, and accepts the boy's help. She takes the receipt for the insurance and the id ticket, and prepares to travel. She convinces a fruit vendor to let her try some of the local plums, and she catches the juice running down her chin with her thumb.
Hermes reminds you to put on your filter mask and then leads you outside. Carrying your violin case and other day bag he leads you surprisingly to a grav speeder made for two.

"I have a custom canopy so the wind wont bother you miss. Have a seat back there. You sit and Hermes attaches a
fiberglass cage and throws a animal skin and plastic viewport around the vehicle, squirms inside and velcros it in place.

Off we go. Hermes turns and slowly accelerates and once clearing the starport again accelerates to almost 300 km a hour heading for the smaller peak on the left.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by ateno »

cybersavant wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:55 am Gunnar Thunarssen "The deal is set. I give you my word as an officer. Normally i don't drink wine, but to seal the deal in your custom, i will take a small sip."
I would recommend the white then, or would you prefer beer or whiskey, anyway

The deal is finalized and Octavia sends you to get fitted for the uniform and to the armory to draw weapons.

"You should be ready in time for dinner, have someone bring you to the dining room at 630p for your first shift, meet your co-workers in the meantime. Welcome aboard.

You are fitted for a black uniform and camouflage and a set of work greens, given boots and and other items. You are issued a automatic rifle and 15 round mag pistol and your choice of blades.

Actions till dinner?

KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#15 Post by KoboldStew »

Dev enjoys being a passenger. She closes her eyes feeling the hum of the engines as her head is pointed out the window. She answers a few questions with noncommittal answers, polite but uninformative. A few loose strands of hair are whipping around because there's a crack in the canopy, and she relaxes, sinking into the seat and marvelling at the inconsistent quality of the music the boy has chosen to play for her on the sound system.

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by bsongy »

A older man, claiming to be a vet of the Banyeogja rebellion, after gathering a few credits from you for the info says that Octavia is not really interested in the surrounding area, just his little empire in the mountain.

Hiro asks the old man "Do you know where a man with an itch to gamble can find a game, to kill a few hours?

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by cybersavant »

choice of blades. Actions till dinner?
a couple of concealable knives, maybe a larger one for show

Gunnar Thunarssen finds a change room and a locker for the extras and his street clothes. Then looks for the 'staff' room to introduce himself to the others, maybe engage in a little small talk, learn who's who; then shortly before shift start wander about to get the lay of the land.
Last edited by cybersavant on Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaming since 1980

bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by bsongy »

Hiro asks the old man "Do you know where a man with an itch to gamble can find a game, to kill a few hours?

Not getting much of a definitive reply out of the old man, Hiro returns to his room, does a mother thorough washing and preparation for dinner, then spends what ever remaining time wandering the hallway, trying to get a mental map of the layout.

Rhonin84
Strider
Strider

#19 Post by Rhonin84 »

Garrett listened and nodded, "I've seen this play out before. there isn't a wrong answer here but if I can help let me know."

Leena is a good kid with a fine mind for research but she can be a bit cold, Pasquel on the other hand is full of passion and fire, hopefully they can learn a lot from each other if they can finish this course out.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Postkorskott (01) - Dev

#20 Post by ateno »

Hermes continues towards the small pass in the mountains a a consistent course and speed. You overhear him calling ahead for landing instructions using correct terminology. But it seems that control is a bit confused by his arrival and after a moment allows landing. Near the end Hermes was getting nervous.

The grav speeder pulls over the edge of the ridge and you see a green veldt set inside the valley bordered by two ridges. So far the greenest you have seen. A huge hand drilled tunnel, larger enough for a starship is to the right.

Pulling in and going down the lighted tunnel is opens up to a large landing area enough for 4 ships to land comfortably. there is only one noble styled yacht at preset and a few other small non-jump ships.

Hermes heads to land on the purple area to the side of the cave. A woman with a pad and a guard with a rifle are approaching the area.

Hermes lands and hits a control and the attachments for the canopy 'POP' and he lifts it over his head and removes it from the bike.

The woman with the pad; "I am aviation control specialist Maja, please tell me the purpose for your visit here? Totally ignoring the guard.

Hermes smiles and points politely over his shoulder to Dev. Paid transport m'lady.

Dev you explain you were invited and particulars.

Maja can't help looking slightly horrified and turns and talks quietly into her comm. Turns back; I am sorry for the greeting we were expecting you on a different conveyance. Please wait a moment. The guard will hold your bags for you if you wish.

A few moments later a older man with a high tech monocle trots over; Mistress Devereaux, apologies, I am Deuxshanks, allow me to show you to your room. He hands Hermes a large gleaming 25 credit coin and tells him to take off.

Your room is quite large with thermal warmed spa and Jacuzzi, a bottle of iced fizzy white wine is set on the wooden table. The guard, obviously not steward trained, lays both your bags on the bed.

Deuxshanks, "If that will be all, a steward will arrive in about 3 hours to lead you to dinner."

Any action before dinner?

Return to “Koninkrijk - Adventures in a Pocket Empire (Mongoose Traveller)”