The Aftermath

OGRE MAGE
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: The Aftermath

#521 Post by Paladin »

Apollonius Triton

"Bugger," the wizard grouses when he sees the others congregating at the stern. "It's always something," he says under his breath as he pushes himself upright and ventures back to discover the source of the commotion.

His eyes widen at the sight of twin tentacles. "Well..." Producing his dagger, Apollonius stands ready to assist the warlike types. If he can reach the tentacles, he'll take a swipe.

[1d20]=8, [1d4]=2

:roll:

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#522 Post by Scott308 »

Euripides Nereos

Tie a rope around my chest. I'll get in the water and cur us loose if you want to tie the rope to something. I'm a good swimmer, but I can't keep up with the boat if I get separated.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#523 Post by Rex »

Drest

Drest will grab the closest rope and start tying it off to the mast. "Here take this end."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#524 Post by shaidar »

Xenos winces as he moves into position, ready as a backup but allowing those less injured to get access and attack the creature.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#525 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Through The River Okeanos
Early Morning, Dark, Cold

While the tendrils are being investigated, and a discussion about how to deal with them ensues, Valkrina uses her limited magic to ensconce the slimy tubes in a violet glow, making them easier to see and easier to target. The aggressive bard urges someone to slip below the outer hull to hack the vessel free. Akhilleus attempts to hack at them with his sword from the rail, but they are just out of his reach below the waterline.

Once everyone moves to the stern of the ship, the craft starts to rear up in the front due to its unbalanced load, causing Mikhail to shout out loud and leap back into the bow area before the ship takes on any water. With the tendrils slightly out of reach, Hakon suggests lowering their fighter down by his ankles so he can reach the target. As they ready their ropes, Euripides offers to be tied off so that he can get into the water to cut the things away.

Before any of this can happen however, 3 more of the slimy strands appear from the depths behind the ship and begin coiling their way up over the rails, giving the rest of the group something to deal with as well.

Actions?

positions:
D022790D-5C9E-41B1-BA7E-BD0524AA094A.jpeg
D022790D-5C9E-41B1-BA7E-BD0524AA094A.jpeg (35.22 KiB) Viewed 722 times
Drest AC:7 2/7
Akhilleus AC:4 11/11
Valkrina AC:6 8/8 1/1
Apollonius AC:8 3/5 0/2
Euripides AC:5 7/7 2/2
Xenos AC:5 2/9 0/2
Hakon AC:4 4/9

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#526 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina

"Fire. They might be more vulnerable to fire?" she cries but has no lantern oil so has to resort to stabbing and slicing the tendril closest to her.Valkrina, spiked staff melee attack [1d20]=12 damage [1d10+1]=1+1=2

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#527 Post by Karaunios »

Akhilleus

"How is fire going to affect them if they are wet? Unless we have something flammable. Which I don't!" Thos time the warrior will look for harpoons, javelins or whatever thing of that sort in the ship.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#528 Post by OGRE MAGE »

There are no weapons in the ship.

Only a bunch of long oars.

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#529 Post by subaltari »

Hakon

"Fire on a ship, not a good idea. Use that pig sticker o' yours, man!" the Viking bellows at Akhilleus as he raises his own axe and shield, then turns to chop at the middle one of the three tendrils that is coming over the rail nearest him.

Attack roll forthcoming.
Hvalreki's Repo Men (CT): Gabe Garcia, 7A8772 age 22 (1 term Marines); Autorifle-1, Cutlass-2, Tactics-1, Vacc-1.
OM's Wandering Windswept Wastelands (Hyperborea 3e): Magda thugatêr Erebos, 2nd level Ixian Witch
Spearmint's Barrowmaze (1e): Elbart, 1st level human 'riverman'

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#530 Post by Rex »

Drest

Once the rope is tied off to the mast Drest draws his short sword and defends himself from any nearby tentacles.

Short Sword [1d20]=4 to hit [1d6+1]=3+1=4 damage
If this counts as a back attack (since the tentacles can't see) it is +4 to hit and double damage.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#531 Post by Karaunios »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:32 am There are no weapons in the ship.

Only a bunch of long oars.
Ok, you mentioned it earlier but I wanted to be sure (maybe it seemed so at first glance etc). Since you say it OOC I assume it's obvious there's no weapons.

Akhilleus

Akhilleus starts when Hakon calls his attention on the tentacles coming over the rail and quickly attacks the one on the right.

Broad sword (one-handed) - To hit: [1d20+2]=7+2=9; Dmg: [1d8+3]=5+3=8

Broad sword (one-handed) - To hit: [1d20+2]=7+2=9; Dmg: [1d8+3]=6+3=9

Broad sword (one-handed) - To hit: [1d20+2]=5+2=7; Dmg: [1d8+3]=5+3=8

The third roll only to be counted if the individual tentacles are considered 1HD each. Never mind with this magnificent rolls though.
Last edited by Karaunios on Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#532 Post by shaidar »

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#533 Post by Scott308 »

Euripides Nereos

Seeing the tentacles coming up onto the boat, Euripides abandons his plan to get in the water and free the rudder. Instead, he draws his sword and attempts to hack at one next to him. Unfortunately, his sword only hacks into the wooden edge of the ship.
Broad Sword, (19): [1d20]=2; Damage 1H: [1d8]=2; 2H: [1d10]=7
Wow. Only Valkrina rolled a double digit attack. We're all going to die. Maybe the Atlanteans need to just start swimming and hope we find land...and are too small for the sea monster to be interested in.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#534 Post by Paladin »

Apollonius Triton

The Atlantean swings at the tentacle before him at the stern.

[1d20]=8, [1d4]=3

I hate you, dice roller. :roll:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#535 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Through The River Okeanos
Early Morning, Dark, Cold

The longship quickly morphs from a place of calm sleep to a scene of utter chaos, with half conscious party members floundering around in the darkness. Most of the party strike out at the flailing tendrils with weapons to no avail, despite the fact that they glow with Valkrina's unnatural magical purple aura at the moment. The Esquimaux woman uses her spear to pin the tendril closest to her to the wooden deck.

Mikhail lights a lantern and shines more light on the battle from his place at the bow. Another slimy tendril appears from over the side, all of the pulsating probes feeling their way around the inside of the vessel, searching for something to entangle. Val and Xenos notice that these things have no suckers or mouths to attack with, and the one currently stuck to the floor of the boat is starting to pull itself free, causing greater injury.

Apollonius, Hakon, and Euripides have their legs or ankles snared by 3 of the slick tendrils that rapidly wrap themselves around their exposed limbs. The tendrils tighten instantly and threaten to pull their captors overboard. (You three will need to make a Test of Dexterity in order to attack again this round. Failure gets you pulled to the rail, and possibly overboard next round.)

Actions?

positions:
47D270A7-25B7-4753-8DC3-86A85769C68F.jpeg
47D270A7-25B7-4753-8DC3-86A85769C68F.jpeg (14.08 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Drest AC:7 2/7
Akhilleus AC:4 11/11
Valkrina AC:6 8/8 1/1
Apollonius AC:8 3/5 0/2 (Snared)
Euripides AC:5 7/7 2/2 (Snared)
Xenos AC:5 2/9 0/2
Hakon AC:4 4/9 (Snared)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#536 Post by Rex »

Drest

Drest attacks the tentacle that has Euripides.

Short Sword [1d20]=19 to hit [1d6+1]=6+1=7 damage

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#537 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina

"More sail, raise the bowsprit jibs sails, We need more power to wrench ourselves free." she shouts at the sailor Mikhail and points to the current rigging.

She thinks how the ship can free itself from the grappling. Some kind of kelp creature, strangle weed. It will move slowly so we can escape it's reach with a little extra opposed effort, hopefully.

If more sail can be hauled into the wind, she will attend to that. Hoping her experience in sailing can be a positive action or suggestion.

Valkrina wisdom check vs 15 [3d6]=9

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#538 Post by shaidar »

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#539 Post by Karaunios »

subaltari
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#540 Post by subaltari »

Hakon

Even if the Kimmerian's sword blows don't sever the tendril snaring Hakon, he manages to keep his footing and hack at it too.
If they do, Hakon pays it forward and turns to help Euripides, or if his tendril is also cut, then the nearest loose creep on deck!
Axe hits AC 4 (incl. +1 for FF) for 7 pts.
If we have 2-phase combat in principle at least, this should work!
;)

Test of DX [1d6]=3, success on 1-3

Battle Axe (one-handed, with shield): [1d20]=14; Damage [1d8+1]=6+1=7
Hvalreki's Repo Men (CT): Gabe Garcia, 7A8772 age 22 (1 term Marines); Autorifle-1, Cutlass-2, Tactics-1, Vacc-1.
OM's Wandering Windswept Wastelands (Hyperborea 3e): Magda thugatêr Erebos, 2nd level Ixian Witch
Spearmint's Barrowmaze (1e): Elbart, 1st level human 'riverman'

Return to “Pawns of the North Wind (AS&SH 2e)”