The Apogee of Memory (Ranger-1)

Grognardsw
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Apogee of Memory (Ranger-1)

#161 Post by Grognardsw »

Looking at my last post I read that the third Kloros you shot was still alive but heavily deflated.

The fourth one you slashed wailed in pain but was not stated as dead. So…

Ranger glanced around. The first two Kloros’ had popped like balloons in a spray of green ichor. The third was still alive, but greatly deflated. It was reaching for a control on the panel.

The fourth Kloros slashed by Ranger’s arm-sabers painfully aimed his pistol at the raging cyborg.

Round Two Actions!

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Bluehorse »

okay that you! I misread thinking that meant they were dying, but I guess not dead yet. :)

R-1

Takes another slash at the Kloro in front of him, going specifically for the arm aiming the pistol at him.
He then aims and takes a popshot at the Kloro reaching for the control panel!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Grognardsw »

Ranger loomed over the Kloros at the center control. It was bleeding heavily and had deflated some as it raised its pistol at the cyborg. Ranger brought down his saber and slashed the Kloros’ arm off. Green blood gushed. It screamed and fell back dead.

The surviving Kloros at the front console pressed a button on the panel. A klaxon alarm went off!

Ranger brought his Mark VII rifle up and blew the wounded Kloros’ head off.

The cyborg looked at the bridge panel - he had full control capabilities from here.

Round Two
- Rnd 2 init. R vs K [1d6]=6, [1d6]=5 Ranger wins.
- The arm saber attack is your attack for the round. The auto rifle’s three shots would occur in Round Three.

Round Three
- Rnd 3 init. R vs K [1d6]=3, [1d6]=1 Ranger won.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Bluehorse »

Works for me!

Ranger moves over to the control panel and turns off the alarm. Fist thing he does is look for the environmental controls to fix the air.

Then he will look at security and begin checking where all the remaining Kloros may be, perhaps sealing them in place if he can.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Grognardsw »

The klaxon alarm was silenced. Ranger looked for the environmental controls, struggling for several moments to remember which controls they were. After turning life support off then back on, followed by ship’s intercom, the lights, and T-chute controls, the cyborg finally hit upon the proper environmental controls. Vents opened, flushing atmosphere while replacing with oxygen.

Ranger checked security monitors and saw eight Kloros from the two rooms he passed in the hallway. They were moving towards the bridge, probably in response to the alarm that had been set off.

Ranger braced for a tough battle against eight armed Kloros...
They all suffocated at the door due to lack of chlorine gas.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Bluehorse »

R-1

After seeing the Kloros fall the old Veteran laughs his raspy gravely laugh and finds the comm. Ahem.... Now hear this! This is your Captain speaking.... he laughs... how disturbing... Ranger-1! You can all come out of hiding now. The atmosphere is clear and the Kloros area all down. If anyone wants to help me blow that Kloro ship off our back, come to the control room. R-1 Out.... Where is that button.... Dammit... I just saw it right here... Turn this damn thing off.... Ooo... when did they start putting that there...? That's a good idea... save time.... Ah ha! There it is...I knew I would.... the comm finally switches off.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Grognardsw »

The Kloros encounter arc was inspired by Isaac Asimov’s short story C-Chute, first published in the October, 1951, issue of Galaxy Magazine.

It was adapted in an episode of the radio show X Minus One, which you can hear at: https://www.relicradio.com/otr/2020/09/ ... minus-one/

Old time mercenary buddy Harrison and the monkey-headed psionicist Apkor joined Ranger-1 in on the bridge.

“Good job,” said Harrison. “Pirates - in this day and age!”

The Kloros vessel, alarmed at the radio silence that meant their Klorons on the ship must be dead, broke off and jumped into FTL.

“Not worth chasing,” Harrison muttered. “This vessel has no weapons. And we have a job and ship to rendezvous with.”

The humans on board were grateful for the mercenaries’ quick action in saving the ship. The crew proper had been killed. Apkor set coordinates for the rendezvous.

Two days later...

Ranger, Harrison and Apkor boarded the Odyssey. It was a vessel of the space combine Blue Origin, which had hired Ranger and company as part of the dragon hunting mission.

They were a hard-bitten crew of veteran spacers, mercenaries, xenobiologists, animal handlers, and xenovetrinarians. From the briefing:

“Yes gentlemen, you heard me right: dragons. We have reliable information that this is the planet. You’re to capture two dragons, one male and one female. More if the opportunity presents itself. We prefer natural reproduction over cloning. Keep them alive. You’ll have the resources and equipment to make it happen. The Odyssey is a good ship and will get you there in a week."

"Our corporate spies have learned that there is another firm doing the same. Teslazon Is sending their own ship. I know you will beat them. Any questions?"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Bluehorse »

Grognardsw wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:30 am
The Kloros encounter arc was inspired by Isaac Asimov’s short story C-Chute, first published in the October, 1951, issue of Galaxy Magazine.

It was adapted in an episode of the radio show X Minus One, which you can hear at: https://www.relicradio.com/otr/2020/09/ ... minus-one/
That one was a lot of fun :) I look forward to reading the inspirational material as well!
Grognardsw wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:30 am“Good job,” said Harrison. “Pirates - in this day and age!”
R-1 blinks. Wait, I thought we were the p.... Never mind... Let's get this hunk moving again, I'll check for damage where they boarded us so we have no nasty surprises.
Grognardsw wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:30 am“...I know you will beat them. Any questions?"[/spoiler]
R-1 raises his hand and when he has the man's attention: Clubs or bare fist? After the moment of silence. When we beat them. I'm open to using floggers too... What? Why are you all looking at me like that?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Grognardsw »

The commander smirked for a moment at Ranger's joke.

"If it comes to it, you can use whatever the hell you want to beat them."

With instructions given, the room broke up. The mercenaries kept mostly to themselves. Over the course of the week Ranger got to know the others. They kept sharp with practice shooting in the range, brawling good naturedly with each other, and working out in the gym. The cyborg bunked with Harrison, two people per quarter.

The week proceeded without incident. The ship was scheduled to arrive the next morning...

Ranger-1 and Harrison woke with a start in their shared quarters as the klaxon alarm blared. The cyborg and mutant, trained mercenaries both, rolled out of their cots almost as one and grabbed their gear kits.

An announcement was coming over the ship intercom: "Red alert. Red alert. Multiple hull breaches. Imminent system failures. All crew and passengers abandon ship by escape pods. I repeat, abandon ship!"

Suddenly Ranger and Harrison heard an omnious hiss from the ceiling. They looked up to see a half-inch hole open up in the metal and a silvery 3' thread snaked down from it! Cyborg and mutant leapt to the side to avoid the thread (3d6 Dex. checks) as it drifted down. It touched the floor and seemingly disintegrated it, leaving a small hole and continuing to weave downward.

The hissing continued as Ranger and Harrison realized their room was losing pressure and atmostphere from the holes, which must extend through the whole ship to outer space.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Bluehorse »

Grognardsw wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:41 pm(3d6 Dex. checks)
DEX v14 [3d6]=13
I cannot believe I made that roll!!!
R-1 moved away and watched the thread moved down through the floor and then noted the hiss of escaping pressure. Well... That's a problem... He grabbed his gear and wasted no time getting out the door. COME ON! ALL OF YOU! ESCAPE PODS! LIFEBOATS! IF WE STAY HERE WE ARE GOING TO BE FEELING OUR BLOOD BOIL SOONER RATHER THAN LATER! turning to Harrison as he began running for the nearest escape. Do you know where we are? Are there any Class-M planets nearby? We need to be ready to regroup and probably fight. Any idea what those things are?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Grognardsw »

"We have to be near our planet!" yelled back Harrison.

The door irised open as Ranger and Harrison ran out of their quarters in search of an escape pod. They were immediately confronted by a screaming Debinian, the mid-shoulder between his two heads pierced by silver thread effortlessly burrowing down inside his chest, waist, out between his three legs, and into the floor. The alien collapsed, holes spurting purple blood that splattered on Ranger and Harrison.

The cyborg and alien mutant went around the dead Debinian and sprinted down the corridor. People were running frantically about the ship in panic. They passed a fire near engineering. Heard the hiss of life support systems failing against innumerable small holes from the deadly thread.

A blinking line of red light in the wall guided them to the nearest escape pod. It was taken; they ran to the next.

They strapped into the tiny ship and prepared for ejection. The cockpit canopy hatch closed.

Suddenly there was a banging on the hatch. A green-skinned man pounded on the window shield of the pod.

“Let me in! Let me in! There’ll all taken!” he yelled, fear in his four eyes. He drew a late model electro-phaser and pointed it at them. “Now!”

There were only two tight seats in the pod. Ranger and Harrison looked at each other and at the gun.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by Bluehorse »

R-1

Looks at the gun and grins. Then begins laughing before pointing with his thumb at the alien pointing a gun at them. This guy... he's my kind of scum. What do you think Harrison? Would be cramped, but if the food runs out we could always eat him.

A pair of thoughts still struck him. Activating the shields on the pod if it had any or just hitting the launch button to see what would happen.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Grognardsw »

“I can hardly fit in here myself,” exclaimed Harrison, his portly alien form hanging over the bucket seat next to Ranger. “Frak him!”

The pod had no shields. Ranger hit go. Cyborg and alien were pushed back in their seats as the escape pod blasted forward. Was that energy bolt sound the firing of the green-skinned man’s electro-phaser? Did it damage the pod?

Ranger and Harrison were rattled inside the pod as it hurtled through the chute. Only seconds passed then they popped out the side of the Odyssey. The vessel was riddled with holes, smoking and lurching. It did not have long left. There were dozens of escape pods in the area, arcing toward a nearby planet that provided the only salvation.
”That must be Pern!” said Harrison.

Space here was polluted with strands of silvery death. They varied in length, from shorter 5’ threads to cables 20’ long. In the freefall of space they were weaving and undulating in every direction. Ranger saw pods hit left and right by the stuff, likely killing the passengers in such tight confines. Pods were exploding as thread bored through the engines. Others keeled about, their maneveurability disabled, floating coffins in the black expanse.

Suddenly two 8’ strands of silvery thread passed in front Ranger and Harrison’s pod! Ranger slammed the controls to avoid the thread (average your Int. and Dex., then roll 3d6 against that.)

Harrison heard a sparking noise behind him. That didn’t sound good. He arched his neck to see back, but the angles of the pod prevented a view.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Bluehorse »

Grognardsw wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:12 am “I can hardly fit in here myself,” exclaimed Harrison, his portly alien form hanging over the bucket seat next to Ranger. “Frak him!”

The pod had no shields. Ranger hit go. Cyborg and alien were pushed back in their seats as the escape pod blasted forward. Was that energy bolt sound the firing of the green-skinned man’s electro-phaser? Did it damage the pod?
Ranger-1 couldn't help but laugh. Years of this life had given him a very dark sense of humor in these situations. Did you see the look on his face?

As Pern came into view he looked up and took in the sight for a moment. It was not exactly remarkable. It looked like so many other places he had been to. Still, seeing a new planet was always worth of a second or two of pause. Then he looked about at the destruction of the other pods about them. What the hell is this? Some kind of defense system? It's almost like a minefield...
Grognardsw wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:12 am Suddenly two 8’ strands of silvery thread passed in front Ranger and Harrison’s pod! Ranger slammed the controls to avoid the thread (average your Int. and Dex., then roll 3d6 against that.)

Harrison heard a sparking noise behind him. That didn’t sound good. He arched his neck to see back, but the angles of the pod prevented a view.
The cyborg hand instinct that were fine tuned it would seem, and his shell had been modified over and over to match... and in some cases exceed them. He looked around as he became hyper-focused on piloting, something he spent a surprisingly rarer time doing the last few years it seemed, but it was like riding a bike for him. Harrison? You still with me here? Anything on the gages that can tell us what is happening? We didn't get hit by one of those things did we? he began trying to calculate the possibilities of piloting the pod through all this, or handing it over to Harrison if he needed to do a spacewalk for emergency repairs.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Grognardsw »

Ranger slammed the controls to the right and veered the escape pod away from the onrushing thread.

Harrison looked at the gauges. "We took damage, whether from the greenie's blaster or thread I don't know! Guidance and thrust effected!"

The tiny ship lurched and recovered a steady line as it raced away from the heaviest of the thread. Other pods were exploding and and still more floating helpless. Ranger felt the pull of the planet's orbital gravity on the pod's controls. They were swept in and were hurtling toward the planet.

The escape pod's computer voice suddenly spoke.

“Three minutes until atmospheric entry,” it said in monotone.

The two mercaneries knew the escape pod’s data link-up to the Odyssey would only be live for as long as the Odyssey was intact. Mere minutes.

“Planet data report: Odyssey ship files on MC-68: Surveyed on FSP Calendar 5710.45. First coded P.E.R.N.c - designation Parallel Earth, Resources Negligible, recommended for colonization. Found safe for human settlement, with resources to support residents but inadequate for commercial exploitation.”

“Colony established 5720.15. Distress beacon received 5760.65. Investigation of planet in 5762.20 found no signs of habitation save small village of two dozen on southern continent. Reported last of colonists left, after others perished in astro-biological and geological disaster code named Thread. Mycorrhizoid spore that voraciously consumes all planet-side organic material, including humans and their crops. Thread is a byproduct of planet RST-2659, in elliptical orbit to MC-68, which when in closest proximity every 50 years exposes MC-68 to spore fallout. Note: Thread in deep space is in its most dangerous form that disintegrates non-orgranic material.”

“Survivors rescued. Given circumstances, planet deemed uninhabitable due to Thread and placed under strict interdict. Due to threat of thread in deep space environment, the whole system is quarantined, all contact forbidden.”

“Further data suggests - <§!¥€£!?><~||£€@#>! “
- The computer voice screeched static and noise, indicating the Odyssey must have blown up.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Bluehorse »

Ranger-1

Looks at Harrison and shrugs his big shoulders. Well... no matter what we do... we need to go down... Check and see if there is a parachute or something in case we need to bail. I'm going to try to just steer for somewhere soft and hopefully splashdown.

He is busy checking navigation and scanners as well as trying to run a diagnostic. Maybe he can rerout some power... or change the polarity... or turn it off and on again...

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Grognardsw »

“Pern - huh,” grunted Harrison after listening to the data report on the planet. “Funny we weren’t told this as part of the briefing.”

Harrison looked around for parachutes. “The seats eject and have chutes.”

As the escape pod began to enter the upper atmosphere, a shadow fell upon them. They looked up to see…

…one of The Odyssey’s scout ships above them. The sizable vessel held a few dozen men, ample equipment including sky sleds.

Ranger and Harrison were relieved the ship had made it out of The Odyssey safely. But they saw it had taken some damage from the thread, but seemed still serviceable.

The scout ship swooped over their escape pod, grabbed it with a tractor beam, and brought it into the hold. Ranger was greeted by a half-dozen men, fellow mercenaries.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Bluehorse »

R-1 was already mentally preparing for either a rough landing or to parachute out of the spacecraft. He had that odd look in his eye Harrison had learned to dread. He was entertained. That often meant they were in some novel form of danger the old hatrack had never... or rarely experienced before.

When the shadow of the rescue ship passed over them and they were hauled in, R-1 looked up and released the controls with a shrug, though he would later admit he was kind of hoping to get to emergency eject. Still, he greeted the other Mercs and exchanged stories about what had happened with them to try to piece together what had went wrong.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Grognardsw »

"Ranger you're alive!" said the big pig-nosed alien whose name Ranger had forgotten five seconds after hearing it.

The cyborg learned that the scout ship escaped with a crew of 11, and had rounded up another 9 people from their escape pods, including Ranger and Harrison.

"The scout ship was hit by thread, but we're still space-worthy, at least for now," said the blue-skinned, mohawked Andorian named T'Borra. Ranger remembered her name cause she had a memorable pair of borras.

There was a Blue Origin commander on board. His name was Qray. "We've had a few bumps on early on, but our mission still stands," he said. "We have enough equipment on this scout ship to capture our dragons. If we clear out the two bays, we can hold one each in there."

"There are 20 of us. We'll land the ship, gear up, and split into two parties. Any questions?"

After the briefing, Ranger explored the small ship:

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Bluehorse »

Grognardsw wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:00 pm "Ranger you're alive!" said the big pig-nosed alien whose name Ranger had forgotten five seconds after hearing it.
R-1 laughed his awful raspy laugh. I'm cursed to live forever! Didn't you know?
Grognardsw wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:00 pm "The scout ship was hit by thread, but we're still space-worthy, at least for now," said the blue-skinned, mohawked Andorian named T'Borra. Ranger remembered her name cause she had a memorable pair of borras.
Hey... about the threads? Who the hell dropped the ball on that one? Did anyone know about those things?
Grognardsw wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:00 pm There was a Blue Origin commander on board. His name was Qray. "We've had a few bumps on early on, but our mission still stands," he said. "We have enough equipment on this scout ship to capture our dragons. If we clear out the two bays, we can hold one each in there."
I still say it is stupid to take them alive, but whatever. Maybe we will still luck into dragon steaks... your know... by accident.

Return to “X Minus One (Gamma World 2e)”