ECHOES FROM HOTH: Episode Three: Greetings from Thakis

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

ECHOES FROM HOTH: Episode Three: Greetings from Thakis

#1 Post by max_vale »

Queendom of Azavam; Planet Thakis; Outer Rim Sectors

After a long trip in hyperspace in which Vale did his best to teach Kit how to somewhat-handle a lightsaber without removing her own or someone else's limbs (*Kit now has the Lightsaber skill at 3D+1...considering that somehow who doesn't have Force skills needs a 20 to hit anything with it....I wouldn't be trying this skill out too much, but it's your call! :) ); but it was a near thing....

Eventually, the Rebel team came out of hyperspace in the Thakis system and Clark took over guiding Cal and Jackson to touch down in a field located near the primary city of Aza, in the Queendom of Azavam. A group of about 30 slug-thrower wielding, puple-skinned Thakisians were on hand to greet them as they came down the entry ramp, the good Professor in the lead. Clark spoke to them in Thakisian, a bit haltingly after a decade, but soon, friendly intentions were made clear, and the group was waved forward.....

The City was mostly two or three story buildings made of stone and/or wood and there was quite a bit of animal ridden and wheeled vehicles pulled by animals traffic, while the group of off-worlders certainly drew quite a bit of attention. Nobody seemed to stare too long....at least, no one other than children....and people seemed to look away quickly, almost as if they were embarrassed. The 'honor guard' fanned out all around the Rebels and they took a long, long walk to the most impressive structure in the place, a fortress built on a raised plateau that had large hills behind it. In the hills were numerous mining tunnels and Clark pointed out that THERE was where the Coaxium deposits were.

The Fortress had an impressive 3 meter tall wall built of stone approximately a meter thick, and a heavy iron (or similar) steel gate that a dozen guards pulled open to allow the visitors in. They were led to a large, inner room where they were told to wait and were given water and some of the local food dishes to eat while the head of the Honor Guard, one Tobiathus, went to inform Queen Harileth of their arrival. Clark frowned a bit as his keen mind ran the situation over and over again...something was off, but he couldn't quite put a finger on it....

Vale Starcloud could also feel that many of the nearby Aliens felt fear, anger and more than anything else.....SHAME; but he couldn't figure out why. His musings were interrupted by Tobiathus' return and the leader of the Queen's Guard said; "Our leader will see you now, but you must leave your weapons here, I'm afraid." Clark didn't remember ever being asked to leave his weapons with the Guard on his last trip, but then again, he HAD been by himself. The Rebels handed over their Blasters and other projectile and explosive weapons, but the Guards were NOT insistent on them handing over their melee weapons; so the various vibro-blades, Vale's Lightsaber and Zuul's knives remained on their persons...

Walking into the Queen's chamber, the Rebels were startled to see a Human on the throne and half-a-dozen other Humans and/or non-Thakisians in the chamber along with the couple dozen Queen's Guard Thakisian members, all of whom had leveled slug-throwing rifles at them. The man on the throne was dark-skinned, middle-aged and had a smirk of confidence and malice on his face as he regarded them.....an expression that soon gave way to surprised recognition as Cal suddenly gasped and the two clearly knew who the other was at the same time...

"Lothar?" Cal choked out; "Tak Dornan?", the man said at about the same time....moments before his face turned into a feral smile and a delighted chuckled bubbled forth...."Oh what an unexpected treat this is! Fandral will be THRILLED to see you again!", he got out between laughs. While all of the other Rebels except Vale turned to Cal with confusion in their eyes, Cal quickly explained; "He's Lothar Brightsun.....the second in command of a criminal group run by Fandral Escavion that I've had to.....deal with....in the past. He's very smart, ruthless and one of the fastest and best gun-hands in the Galaxy".

While THIS was going on, Vale was suddenly trembling from unseen signals from the Force; and he paid close attention to the OTHER non Thakisians in the room....5 were obviously thugs/guards of various races and they didn't particularly seem of interest, while two stood out. One was a snowy-white, massive alien humanoid covered in thick fur with 4 eyes on its head and a body mass that rivaled Zuul in both height and bulk....and seemed to be rather impenetrable to the Force....while the other was by FAR of the most interest to the young Jedi....

She was a human female, about his height and with an athletic build, a tan complexion and brown hair, scars all over her face.....and most interesting of all was the lightsaber that dangled from her belt and the menacing, yellow light that emanated from her eyes. Vale knew INSTANTLY that she was also a student of the Force....and in particular, of the Dark Side....

Lothar started talking again; "Well, well.....I'm not sure what brought you here Cal....but Fandral just recently learned from a pathetic excuse of a recent jail-bird about this place and the Coaxium they have, so he sent us to come and get it. You see, all we have to do is make a "Challenge" to these people, and if we win, they have to mine the Coaxium for us for a week and let us run things......to date, we've won these Challenges 3 weeks in a row. You see, all they have to do is have a 'Challenger' defeat either me in a gun-draw; my friend Tandivar (points to the White-furred alien, which Clark recognizes as a Talz) in hand-to-hand combat; or beat Xerris there (points to the yellow-eyed human woman with a Lightsaber) in a sword-fight, and we leave. So far....we're undefeated, and we've got almost 40 tons of Coaxium mined already, just about ready to load on our ship, which is tucked away safely behind some hills....now with you lot here, we'll have some more 'entertainment' before we leave"; he finished with an evil gleam in his eye....

OOC: The room is a big one, maybe 70 by 50 feet and inside the room there are about 25 Thakisian Guards with basically musket rifles pointed at you (Including three who have backpacks holding your various blasters and Flechette launchers, grenades, etc.) ; 5 human and/or other familiar Star Wars alien guards with Blasters; the Talz who doesn't seem to be carrying ANY weapons; Xerris with her Lightsaber and Lothar who has a Heavy Blaster Pistol on a thigh holster and who some of you have heard about as a RIDICULOUSLY fast and accurate shot.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: ECHOES FROM HOTH: Episode Three: Greetings from Thakis

#2 Post by Starbeard »

Vale speaks plainly and solemnly as he looks around the room. "You are playing at a game that cannot last, Lothar. It is only a matter of time before you slip, and then you fall lower than you have ever been."

Then his gaze rests on Xerris. "I see you keep interesting friends. Interesting, and dangerous. Tell me, Xerris, what is a Dark Jedi doing as the lapdog of a petty bandit?"

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by kipper »

Clark is dismayed by this turn of events. It seems to him that not only must we defeat Lothar, but Lothar and his cronies must be prevented from returning to run this scheme again in the future. "If we could entice him to cheat at the test, and then make it known to the Queen that he was cheating with irrefutable proof, she would not allow him to make further challenges," Clark muses quietly.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Zuul

Zuul grins widely as Lothar lays out the scenario. He starts sizing Tandivar up and watches Lothar to try and gage his speed.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ybn1197 »

kipper wrote:Clark is dismayed by this turn of events. It seems to him that not only must we defeat Lothar, but Lothar and his cronies must be prevented from returning to run this scheme again in the future. "If we could entice him to cheat at the test, and then make it known to the Queen that he was cheating with irrefutable proof, she would not allow him to make further challenges," Clark muses quietly.
"Easier said than done," Jackson quips. "I can't see where I will be of any use in these challenges. I feel likely to get the drop on a rock when it comes to my quick draw skills. There is no way I can match Tandivar in hand to hand, and I'm not liking the looks of the woman with the sword."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Kit

"Low growl..."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by max_vale »

Queendom of Azavam; Planet Thakis; Outer Rim Sectors

Lothar just looks incredulously at Vale and when he's done, he shakes his head and looks at Cal; "Is he for real? Where'd you find him....straight out of a kid's holovid?" Xerris meanwhile just stares hard at the young Jedi and walks slowly over to stand deliberately in front of him a couple of meters away, ignoring everyone and everything else in the room.....

"I do NOT have to explain myself to ANYONE you arrogant little fool of a Jedi, but just this once, I will tell you this. I was once just an orphaned child who lived among rough types, having found that I had a talent with the Force, which helped me to survive and thrive when I otherwise would've met my end long ago; though I did not know to call this talent that at the time. Then, just a few years ago, I came across a strange alien who called himself Ixivaan of the Vanurli, who helped me to learn how to better control and use my talent, all while blathering on about the 'Jedi' and their 'code'. The fool tried to keep me from becoming more powerful by using my talent to benefit myself, and when I could no longer stand his self-righteous nonsense, I took up this weapon he had taught me how to make and use-"; here she pats the lightsaber at her side; "-and struck him down with it. I don't care one WHIT about this nonsense of 'Jedi' and 'the Light Side' or the 'Dark Side' of the Force; I WILL use whatever talents I have to thrive as I see fit. Try to lecture me again and it will be the last thing you ever do", she finishes with a cool and dangerous voice the whole time....

While Vale's eyes go wide at learning his former Master has been killed by this yellow-eyed woman in front of him, Lothar motions to a couple of the Thakisians, and they move over to the Rebels, with one of them holding a large case while most of the room levels weapons at them. As Xerris was giving her speech, Zuul sized up the Talz, Tandivar and while its hard to tell much, the easy way he moves and his bulk suggest that defeating him in hand-to-hand combat would be a MOST interesting challenge. Trying to gauge Lothar's speed as he simply sat there was a nearly impossible task....

Meanwhile, the Thakisian guards quickly move to disarm the group of all remaining weapons; including Zuul's blades and slug thrower, the various Vibroblades and Vale's Lightsaber and place them all in the case. Lothar then says, "Alright then, take them to the cells....tomorrow at mid-day, if they so choose, they can each attempt a challenge....with the losers, if they survive...and their friends having to work in the mines. Or they may stay in the cells if they do NOT choose to challenge any of us champions. Take them away"; and with that, they are marched down a hall, then down several flights of steps to a cool and quite dark subterranean level lit only by candles encased in glass with small holes to allow the smoke to escape and for the air to feed the flames and placed into a large cell. A meal of water and a thick stew is brought to them and the only other prisoner; a pale, broken looking man whom Clark recognizes as the conman and thief, Du Mond. He is CLEARLY not being given the same amount of food and the bruises on his body suggest that unlike their own honorable treatment by the Thakisian guards, he is being roughed up here and there.....

The cell is perhaps 10 by 10 meters with several bowls of water and towels for washing, several cots and several chamber pots (currently all empty); a stone floor and thick metal bars with a thick, heavy lock on the gate door. At the entrance to the room, perhaps 25 meters away, a pair of Thakisian guards stand, armed but with no apparent hostility towards the group of Alliance agents.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by ybn1197 »

max_vale wrote:... a stone floor and thick metal bars with a thick, heavy lock on the gate door.
OOC: What type of lock is it? Does it require a physical key or is it an electronic lock?

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by max_vale »

OOC: It's a heavy padlock; the culture's tech level is basically late 18th/early 19th century equivalent

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by kipper »

Clark talks to Du Mond and attempts to get any information he can out of him.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Starbeard »

Vale must practice emptying his mind to release the anger and frustration of learning that this woman murdered his kind master. He cannot cloud his judgement with this emotions, or else he will slip down the same path to the Dark Side as Xerris had. Perhaps she could still be saved… he stretches his conscience and reaches out with his mind, probing for her. He had heard from his master Ixavaan that Dark Jedi are not just consumed by their hatred, but also by fear and guilt, emotions that lead to selfishness. Perhaps this was her weak spot.

OOC: Sense Life and Empathy to see if he can locate and monitor her emotions toward him and the party, herself, and her colleagues/employer.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by ybn1197 »

max_vale wrote:OOC: It's a heavy padlock; the culture's tech level is basically late 18th/early 19th century equivalent
Jackson will look around the cell for something he could use to pick the lock. He has no intention of picking the lock at the moment, he just wants what is needed in case the group wants to use that option.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Zuul

Unhappy with being led into the dungeon, Zuul paces. And growls at anything nearby. "Thiss iss insufferable! Locked away like some common thief."

He turns to Clark and Vale, sees that they are gathering information, and moves to assist Jackson. "What are you thinking? Do we just break out and rush the guardss?"

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by ybn1197 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:Zuul
He turns to Clark and Vale, sees that they are gathering information, and moves to assist Jackson. "What are you thinking? Do we just break out and rush the guardss?"
"It's an idea. I don't want to go that route unless we have to. It seems to me that blindly rushing the guards is something Lothar and his crew would do. And I'm sure the Thakisians aren't happy with them in charge. I don't want them to get the idea that we are more of the same. But neither do I want to be stuck with zero options."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by max_vale »

Queendom of Azavam; Planet Thakis; Outer Rim Sector

The band of Rebels, turned prisoners take their time through the long night and into the following morning on various tasks....

Clark attempts to talk to Du Mond....learning that the one time Thief and con-man had been largely broken into a shell of his former self. The Professor was a bit out of his depth, but suspected that with some professional help and definitely with a decent amount of time spent AWAY FROM HERE, he might recover to a fully functioning person again, but at the moment, he was clearly a broken creature filled with fear. The Academic was able to glean that he had been released, and had soon attempted to utilize his knowledge of a hitherto-unknown planet full of Coaxium deposits to his advantage, but rather quickly had Fandral Escavion's criminal syndicate turn that knowledge to their own advantage and the Thief/ Con-man's ruin. The Academic turned Rebel had long ago lost any 'bleeding-heart' sensibilities, but he was pretty sure that between a decade of prison time and the torture at the hands of Lothar and the Thakisians; Du Mond had 'paid his debts'...

Vale focused on using the Force to discern some feelings that the Dark Jedi Xerris had; mostly she seemed to radiate a low level of anger towards just about everyone and a burning fear that anyone might have more power than her and therefore be able to use that power against her.....though she kept ALL of that beneath a veneer of uncaring coolness towards all those around her. Vale could tell that her fear and anger seemed to feed a never-ending loop; a need to be around others so that she could have more power over them, yet a disdain for and fear of anyone around her as they might somehow weaken her or gain power over her through her need for them....a vicious cycle that led the young Jedi Student to unexpectedly feel pity for her. Nonetheless though, her connection to and control of the Force was STRONG.....

Jackson did his best to carefully study the padlock and the contents of their cell and the Engineer was PRETTY sure he could at least take a decent stab at picking the lock with a piece of broken metal from the water bowl, if needed....but he never had a decent chance to do that with the alert guards watching.

Zuul railed against being locked up like a common criminal, but eventually he fell asleep; as did most of the others....to be awakened the following morning by guards bringing breakfast and telling that in a couple of hours, the challengers for the day would have their chance at defeating the 'champions'...

If any of the Rebel party wished to Challenge the Champions, now would be the time to make their declarations. Any or all of them could make a challenge, though each member of the party could only challenge one Champion.....either Xerris in armed combat; Tandivar in hand-to-hand combat or Lothar in the quick-draw. The Thakisian Guard waits with a pad and an ink quill ready to write down the names of any challengers and who they'd like to face.....

Solo4114
Tracker
Tracker

#16 Post by Solo4114 »

"I owe Lothar's boss, Fandral, a lot of credits. So far, they've allowed me to do what I do as long as I send payments to them periodically...with interest... If we disrupt Lothar's plan, it could blow back on me pretty severely. He said they were going to leave soon, and they already have 40 tons mined. Maybe we offer to trade for his mined coaxium? It might also help the Thakisians if we avoid more violence. If he refuses to leave, then I suppose we'll have to try to make him, but if he'll go on his own, maybe we just let him and see if we can strike a deal? Otherwise, I guess we're going to have to face that Talz. I won't go up against Lothar in a gun duel. There's no way I'd beat him, and even if I did, he'd just have Fandral put a death mark on me and I'd be dodging bounty hunters til the both of them died."

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by ybn1197 »

"Living with a death mark is not something I would wish on anyone, Cal. I understand fully if you want to bow out of this one. But I doubt Lothar will be willing to walk away from such an easy payday. I think we need to make sure he stops taking advantage of the Thakisians. We're supposed to be fighting for freedom. We never said it was only from the Empire."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Starbeard »

Vale

"I sense a great deal of fear and insecurity in the woman, Xerris. She is powerful, but suffers from an imposter's syndrome. She is drawn to Lothar's rabble so that she can bask in her ability to manipulate them, but she also fears that she may need him more than he needs her. I wonder if Lothar is aware of this dynamic, and what he would say if he found out…"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Kit

"ah ohahanan oaacraananwowhrrwo aorawhwaahhorarc wwahrccao."

If you understand Wookie.
"I will challenge Tandivar first."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Zuul

Zuul slaps Kit on the back. "Good. Good. Thiss will be fun!" He moves to the guard and declares "He will fight that Talz. Mark that down."

Return to “Star Wars RPG: Star Fall”