At the Defence Ministry

BackworldTraveller
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

At the Defence Ministry

#1 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Hagan & John
Captain Isuvi Asettaa-Halici has summoned the two of you to a meeting, disrupting the planned deployments of you both.

You are sat in the lobby of Isuvi's office - each aware that the other is a captain, but not having previously met. A Petty Officer is sat as guardian of the door and calendar. Captain Asettaa is going to be late - she has been detained by the Seneschal of Gabrael for some reason. The Petty Officer appears to be re-arranging appointments and then, after a few minutes...

Petty Officer: The Captain will be delayed. Can I order you a beverage while you wait?

NorthernTraveller
Scout
Scout

Re: At the Defence Ministry

#2 Post by NorthernTraveller »

It's always good to take on provisions when you can so I will take whatever the local tea is.

I make a casual remark about never being offered beverages when called to the head master's office before...

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Petty Officer
The Petty Officer rings out for "Tea".

I assure you Captain Drake, this will be utterly unlike visiting your headmaster.

There is a brief hiatus

Possibly it will be worse!

and then they return to work. You aren't too sure if your leg is being pulled.

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#4 Post by AndyS_66 »

Hagan will nod and accept a tea as well and thank the petty officer.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by BackworldTraveller »

After a while of sitting in silence, nursing the "Tea", the door opens and in Walks Captain Asettaa-Halici.

Thank you for waiting as if you had a choice Please come through

He passes some data chips to the Petty Officer and heads into the office.

You follow and are directed towards a sofa.

I don't think you've met. John Drake - He's been watching the Vargr at Wyn for us; Hagan Dransfield - He's been scouting the Vargr (and Virus) in Khouth Subsector.

After a moment he addresses the pair of you

The situation has changed a bit. Our merchant colleagues have reported that the Followers of Augurgh have closed Aerfor to traffic from the Dzarrgh Federate. So Hagan, your mission could go, but not return without making a much more difficult Journey. John, The reports you brought back from Wyn have indicated that the captains there have been summoned to Synez to support units dealing with some major problems that the Federate is having with the Irrgh Manifest. So we have come up with a revised plan...and hope that you can undertake it.

He looks at the two of you

Essentially, we still need to know what is happening in Khouth. So we'd like you to head there again - but to coming home will have to be via the rimward route. By the time you arrive, the Synez System should be clear of Vargr as they will have moved on to intercept the Irrgh Manifet's units. Because of the increased length of this mission, we are sending two ships to double the chance that one will return with the required information. You will both travel in Dzarrgh Space under the colours of the Followers of Augurgh. Your Registration, Hagan, is entirely valid; Yours John will be faked - but with Aerfor closed they will have no way to prove that.

Same objectives: Information and Engineers and Critical Spares. Run. Don't shoot unless you have to.

Any questions?

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#6 Post by AndyS_66 »

Hagan will comment that the route back should take them near the Caulins Belt and there have been reports of virus activity there. The whole region is high unstable and unknown. The need to primarily jump to systems with gas giants for refuelling could greatly extend the voyage and risk. The original fee was accepted in view of a return via Aerfor. A longer trip would require additional risk and expenses.

He will smile at Captain Drake and suggest that they brain-storm routes. His knowledge of the threats around Wyn and Synez will be invaluable.

Thankfully Hagan has contacts at Kouth who should be able to assist with providing information on the current situation.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The Captain smiles
I'm glad this hasn't put you off. We have MCr1 (Federate) that we can release to you for "Ongoing expenses" in the Federate. Regrettably, it isn't much use here. Also, if you want up to date information on the route from Corfinium, the "I Think I Can" and "Corfinium Belle" arrived this morning. They are refuelling and will be in orbit here in about 2 days.

NorthernTraveller
Scout
Scout

#8 Post by NorthernTraveller »

I suggest we speak to the new arrivals and then get to planning. I offer to host a planning session on my ship at a time suitable for Hagen, then warn Asokoezka that new orders are on the way and we can expect company for dinner...

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#9 Post by AndyS_66 »

Hagan will gladly accept the offer of visiting Captain Drake’s ship. As the Dog Tag is still currently undergoing upgrades and such it probably isn’t a suitable place to have a confidential conversation. He will pass his, and Emmylou’s, details over so that security know who they are when they arrive. Emmylou is Hagan’s first officer and part-time adviser. He will also inform Nyla that he will not be back until late.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The trip to Captain Drakes vessel gives Hagan, Emmylou and John the chance to exchange "War Stories" - John regaling Hagan with a tale about Gabrael Devils and a Sheep Drive, while Hagan mentions something about a shootout on the road to the old starport. Emmylou is relatively quiet - she seems to be sizing up Captain Drake before jumping right in!

The Makhangan is stored on a purpose landing pad well away from the old starport and city - and is ringed by a berm and a fully deployed anti-starship missile battery. The ship is obscured by a camouflage cover. Clearly the Navy has learned from the earlier raids.

The car is stopped, almost 1000m from the berm, by two guards.

After a few moments, you are waived through.

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#11 Post by AndyS_66 »

Hagan will pause to have a look at the Makhangan, walking around her too if possible.

[Is she an S Class Scout ship?]

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by BackworldTraveller »

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Emmylou

Hi, I'm Emmylou - Hagan's Partner in Crime/Pilot aboard the Dog-Tag. I've heard of these boats - never seen one. Didn't think anything like this would get dumped out here though. What happened?

NorthernTraveller
Scout
Scout

#14 Post by NorthernTraveller »

Long Story. The short version is she is an orphan design and she has been shot up a bit. But, with some care she still works just fine. She gave us no trouble during our last mission. We can check it out some more if you like.

https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Campaign:BTC/Makhangam

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Emmylou
Only if the first thing that is checked is the Drinks Locker!

Lead on - I've heard rumours that the Seneschal's guest Aslan was aboard. That is an unusual attraction. It may intrigue and distract the Federate enough that they will be distracted from the fact that the vessel is Imperial. Otherwise I fear we may have little chance. We had enough trouble pretending to be Vargr owned despite the Vargr design!

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#16 Post by AndyS_66 »

Hagan

I’m more interested in the coffee. Still, I’ve never met an Aslan so that should be interesting. We’ve got a Fluffy but she isn’t quite as tall as an Aslan.

On our previous trips I’ve had Dzae our Vargr charmer take the lead in most negotiations. Aside from being very good at talking to other Vargr she’s easy on the eye; Vargr-wise. She very smart too.

It helps that the Dog-Tag is an old style Vargr scout ship so we haven’t been questioned too much. So far.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Emmylou
Oh come on! Omata%i is cute and fluffy and unusual; Aslan are Impressive and not a little scary. Thrilling!

It sounds like we should have brought a gift. Will your Aslan be offended by no Gift? How do you say his name?

NorthernTraveller
Scout
Scout

#18 Post by NorthernTraveller »

I just sound out the letters. Eventually, with enough practice and listening to Vargr conversation you can make the sounds even if you don't quite knw what you are saying. I'm sure that is offensive to someone but it has worked so far. My navigator is really the den mother here, she finds a way to get everyone to play nice.

The Aslan is an interesting fellow. Very Aslan, would not want to be on his bad side, even if he was not friends with the Seneschal

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Emmylou
FYI - Emmylou has "Noble" written all over her. OK, maybe that's poverty-stricken, having to work for a living type noble but her accent and bearing are definitely from the top-drawer of society
Emmylou schools herself into a less effusive demeanour
So lead on! You have a Vargr on the same ship as an Aslan?

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#20 Post by AndyS_66 »

Hagan has the look of a downtrodden academic more than a ship’s captain, but it could be an image he tries to ferment so that people overestimate him.

Hagan: When I first stated speaking Aekhu I, sure I insulted a good number of vargr and gave the rest a laugh. Shall we discuss strategies?

Return to “Between The Cracks (Mongoose Traveller)”