(002) Taken!

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: (002) Taken!

#41 Post by Eris »

JR and Terry, for sure, might be having weather problems right now. I hope they get (if they lost it) power and water back soon.

It might be a good idea for everyone in the game to post so we know who is available to play right now.

IAC, I'll continue a bit, but not much and we'll go slowly until everyone is available.

The groups split. The villagers head east, downstream, and the Adventurers head west, upstream.

The party walks along the path next to the stream. After the stream rounds a corner and heads north, the path continues west away from the stream. There are no prints indicating those you are tracking came out here. The stream is shallow here and you walk into it and after another few feet you see signs on the far side of the stream where people/animals came out of the stream, went through a small clearing and continued into the forest on another animal path that turns back north. There are clear prints from several shoed men and the hoof prints of what appear to be a couple of sheep.

It is getting very dark here under the trees. You are going to need a torch, or other light, within the next few minutes to see anything.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:02 pm It is getting very dark here under the trees. You are going to need a torch, or other light, within the next few minutes to see anything.
Eodrien stops and looks around. "Does anyone have a torch?"

Our ancient galvanized hot water pipes bit the dust during the freeze, but we're otherwise ok.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by ateno »

joertexas wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:12 pm
Eris wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:02 pm It is getting very dark here under the trees. You are going to need a torch, or other light, within the next few minutes to see anything.
Eodrien stops and looks around. "Does anyone have a torch?"

Our ancient galvanized hot water pipes bit the dust during the freeze, but we're otherwise ok.
"I can cast a spell, but it wont last. I would prefer to use it in a pinch., like on the way home. Maybe we could make one while the light lasts."

Darrian looks up at the sky.

We only got about 3 inches, so no problems in Eastern Long Island."

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by joertexas »

ateno wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:18 pm "I can cast a spell, but it wont last. I would prefer to use it in a pinch., like on the way home. Maybe we could make one while the light lasts." Darrian looks up at the sky.

We only got about 3 inches, so no problems in Eastern Long Island."
This is Texas. Most of us don't do winter.

Eodrien looks to the others. "If no one has a torch, can we make one?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#45 Post by Darithe »

Magdal scoffs at the mention of torches, "I prefer my lantern," she quickly retrieves a flask of oil and lights the lantern hanging from her waist. "There now, that's better," she will keep the lantern in her left hand held high as they walk.

OOC: Quite a bit of ice and snow here but the worst was north and south of us.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by joertexas »

Darithe wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:37 pm Magdal scoffs at the mention of torches, "I prefer my lantern," she quickly retrieves a flask of oil and lights the lantern hanging from her waist. "There now, that's better," she will keep the lantern in her left hand held high as they walk.

"Stay behind us," Eodrien warns. She moves forward, waraxe at the ready.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by ateno »

Darithe wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:37 pm Magdal scoffs at the mention of torches, "I prefer my lantern," she quickly retrieves a flask of oil and lights the lantern hanging from her waist. "There now, that's better," she will keep the lantern in her left hand held high as they walk.
"I can hold that to leave your hands for you weapons if you want."

Darian

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by Darithe »

Magdal looks at Darian and smiles, "Why thank you sir!" She quickly hands him the lantern and readies her bow. "Lead on gentlemen."

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by joertexas »

Darithe wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:24 am Magdal looks at Darian and smiles, "Why thank you sir!" She quickly hands him the lantern and readies her bow. "Lead on gentlemen."
Eodrien smiles at Des. "I don't think she's speaking to either of us." She continues to walk forward while watching for anything out of place.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#50 Post by Darithe »

Magdal sticks out her tongue at Eodrien, "No I wasn't talking about you silly. I meant Des and Darian, Both have both been gentlemen, at least in my presence. And I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt."

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by joertexas »

Darithe wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:37 am Magdal sticks out her tongue at Eodrien, "No I wasn't talking about you silly. I meant Des and Darian, Both have both been gentlemen, at least in my presence. And I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt."
Eodrien laughs softly. "I couldn't help myself, is all."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:44 am
Darithe wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:24 am Magdal looks at Darian and smiles, "Why thank you sir!" She quickly hands him the lantern and readies her bow. "Lead on gentlemen."
Eodrien smiles at Des. "I don't think she's speaking to either of us." She continues to walk forward while watching for anything out of place.
The group continues to walk forward, slowly and carefully. The tracks on the path are still visible. It's clear that whoever was leaving them either is very bad a covering their tracks, or felt confident enough to see no need in doing so. Or perhaps, they wanted searchers to be able to follow them...

The trail winds through the forest leading first away from the stream, back toward it, then away again. The darkness deepens. It is still twilight in the open, but deep in the forest it is getting close to pitch black. Leaning down near the ground you can still make out the tracks of boots and the cloven hooves of a pair of sheep.

You estimate you are a two miles, maybe more, away from the village now.

You can hear the distant sounds of a waterfall to your right, must be the stream. The trail is still angling to your left away from the stream, though, and the waterfall sounds disappear as you continue along the trail up toward a ridge that rises steeply ahead of you.

Then Des and Eodrien both see the glow at the same time. It is dim and a bit flickering, but up ahead somewhere over the ridge there is light. The light has to be more than a torch or lantern...maybe a campfire.

Then you all hear voices, one tenor and one bass, loudly arguing with each other. You can only make out a word or two of the Common..."Fool!" says the tenor, "What's the problem?" says the bass, "You'll bring humans here!" screams the tenor, "So what?" shouts back the bass.

The others now see the dim flickering light, too. Your lantern's light wouldn't be visible on the other side of the ridge yet, but anyone/thing watching from atop it would certainly see it once you round the outcropping of rock just ahead on the trail.

What do you do now?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:05 pm The others now see the dim flickering light, too. Your lantern's light wouldn't be visible on the other side of the ridge yet, but anyone/thing watching from atop it would certainly see it once you round the outcropping of rock just ahead on the trail.

What do you do now?
Eodrien hold up her hand and stops in place. She turns, careful to not make noise with her feet. She speaks in a low voice, pitched for her companions' ears alone. "They may have someone keeping watch, but it's getting hard to see. We can either cover the lantern and try to sneak up on them, or just move across the hill and attack."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#54 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:02 pm JR and Terry, for sure, might be having weather problems right now. I hope they get (if they lost it) power and water back soon.

It might be a good idea for everyone in the game to post so we know who is available to play right now.

IAC, I'll continue a bit, but not much and we'll go slowly until everyone is available.

The groups split. The villagers head east, downstream, and the Adventurers head west, upstream.

The party walks along the path next to the stream. After the stream rounds a corner and heads north, the path continues west away from the stream. There are no prints indicating those you are tracking came out here. The stream is shallow here and you walk into it and after another few feet you see signs on the far side of the stream where people/animals came out of the stream, went through a small clearing and continued into the forest on another animal path that turns back north. There are clear prints from several shoed men and the hoof prints of what appear to be a couple of sheep.

It is getting very dark here under the trees. You are going to need a torch, or other light, within the next few minutes to see anything.
OOC: We lost power for most of four days, froze our keisters off, and are dealing with a burst pipe, but I think I'm caught up and fully back up and running everywhere now.

Terry
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 1,000 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#55 Post by terrymixon »

"I have torches if someone else wants to carry one while I wield my axe."
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:44 am
"Definitely not."

Des keeps his axe at the ready and his eyes on their surroundings.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:54 pm
Eris wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:05 pm The others now see the dim flickering light, too. Your lantern's light wouldn't be visible on the other side of the ridge yet, but anyone/thing watching from atop it would certainly see it once you round the outcropping of rock just ahead on the trail.

What do you do now?
Eodrien hold up her hand and stops in place. She turns, careful to not make noise with her feet. She speaks in a low voice, pitched for her companions' ears alone. "They may have someone keeping watch, but it's getting hard to see. We can either cover the lantern and try to sneak up on them, or just move across the hill and attack."
"If anyone can see in the dark, they should scout," Des muttered softly. "Otherwise, we can get close and barrel into the fight when they see us. My axe can help keep them distracted."

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by ateno »

Darrian shudders the lantern, making sure it has enough air to stay lit.He walks behind the fighting men and women, adjusting his dart belt and makins sure he can cast a spell in a moment if required.

In a quiet voice:
"Kazan, heel."

Darrian

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:35 am "If anyone can see in the dark, they should scout," Des muttered softly. "Otherwise, we can get close and barrel into the fight when they see us. My axe can help keep them distracted."
"Where is Valerin?" Eodrien asks quietly. "He can see in the dark, I think."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by Eris »

The party moves quietly forward, around the boulder, then up the angled path to near the top of the ridge. There is no sign of anyone watching as they approach and no one raises an alarm. You spread out a little so any, or all, can kneel down and peek over the top of the ridge.

Below you an argument continues to rage in a bowl like clearing with a cave mouth on the western side. There is a small camp fire in the center of the clearing. On one side of the campfire are six Hobgoblins. On the other side are a pair of Kobolds standing near the fire with another 15 or 20 right behind them. The two sheep are hobbled to a shrub and the form of a human boy is lying next to them off the northern edge of the clearing. The boy has a hood over his head and his arms and legs are tied.

"You set that fire just to draw the humans here didn't you?"
shouts one of the Kobolds, "You want to force a fight with them don't you?"

"You should be killing these humans not be hiding from them." the biggest hobgoblin shouts back, "If you're loyal to the Red Caps, you don't hide from those invaders. You kill them!"

"They have been here for many moons and have never bothered us, why should we bother them? They stay in their area and we stay in ours. It's foolish to go looking for trouble when trouble isn't looking for you!" replies the Kobold, "Bah! If the humans come YOU can deal with them."

The Kobold leader turns on his heel and says to his people, "Leave these fools to their fate. We're going back into our caves and closing the doors."

The Hobgoblin leader half draws his sword, but thinks better of it when a dozen of the Kobolds point their spears at him. The big goblins watch while the Kobolds return to the cave and you can hear loud bangs from inside...probably doors being closed and barred.

The Hobgoblins shout curses at the retreating Kobolds and stomp the ground. One line catches your attention, "Diago is going to kil all you cowards for this betrayal!"
Last edited by Eris on Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “Silverband (C&C)”