OOC

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC

#1 Post by Marullus »

Discuss whatever you like here. :)

So you can get to know each other - So far I have the following planning to start immediately:
Enoch
Faanku
shroomofinsanity
Mister-Kent
redwarrior
jemmus
greyarea

...and the following as maybe or "later":
cybersavant
Paladin
Urson
Bluehorse

Glad to have all of you!!

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC

#2 Post by redwarrior »

Hi all! I'm Vince, and on pacific time (about 35 miles south of Seattle). Never played SWN, but it appears to be kind of a cross between DCC and Star Frontiers. Really excited to get started. I need to read through the Codex of the Black Sun to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, but I'm leaning toward either a Warrior or Adventurer bounty hunter type right now.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

Hey Vince! Glad to have you!

I am near Washington, DC. Living the COVID Quarantine dream these days. Lucky I can telecommute and care for my daughter while school is closed.

If you're leaning to a Warrior you only need the free core book. Black Sun is only for magic.

...Though, there are some specialized stuff in there that is martial. There's a War Mage (more a support caster for military unit, not mass damage himself). There's the Godhunter (that Enoch mentioned) and the Sunblade (the non-copyright-infringing Jedi-like class based around their sacred weapon... like a lightsaber). It has an Arcane Warrior and Arcane Expert if you want to touch the magic flavor but not too much -- they operate like the normal classes but with access to special Arcane foci.

Okay, I just convinced myself it is worth looking at. There's more than enough good mundane stuff in the main book by itself if you don't want to, as well.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Enoch »

I mean, I wouldn't buy it just for the Arcane Warrior and Arcane Expert classes. There's no difference IIRC between them and the core book versions except access to additional Foci, which we can easily summarize.

But there's a lot of cool stuff in there.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by jemmus »

Hi all, looking forward to it! It might take me a little bit to build my character. I've never played SWN, I need to do some reading.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

We are here and happy to help. :)

Feel free to share ideas as you go - that way people can build off each other in the group.

I see Faanku has rolls in the roller. Enoch posted about Pacter or Godhunter. MisterKent is going to try out mutations and see what happens. I am excited by possibilities. :)

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by greyarea »

I'm considering something like the Sunblade class but maybe with a mystical six-shooter as the focus. Still looking over my options, but that's what's calling me at the moment...

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Mister-Kent »

Nice to see y'all, some new faces and old!

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by Craigers07 »

Wow, I'm not sure if there will be enough room for me. If not, then please put me on the later list.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

Indeed! I am pleased by all the faces. :)

On that note, welcome to Craigers07 who is returning to the boards to join us!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

Craigers07 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:33 am Wow, I'm not sure if there will be enough room for me. If not, then please put me on the later list.
66ff1e8a-800a-408d-bdd7-182ee4083316_text.gif
66ff1e8a-800a-408d-bdd7-182ee4083316_text.gif (1005.76 KiB) Viewed 1477 times

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Hey everyone! As I see we are posting timezones and stuff, I am south of Charlotte, NC and in the EST timezone. I'm essential (work at a residential treatment facility) so I post as much as I'm able.

I've never played this system before, but I'm excited to learn, and I've not chosen what I want to be yet, but as a "Forever DM" I always have a few character ideas and am willing to pick up some party slack if needed. I'm very jazzed about a tough and adventurous sci/fi game. I'm hoping we get to play a little dangerous, less 10' pole, more stepping into the unknown and reacting to the consequences, and if we die, well them's the space breaks...

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by Craigers07 »

That's great! I appreciate the invite and will get started on a character idea.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by Faanku »

Hi guys, good to meet new players on here!
I'm looking at the Pacter right now, but you know how nebulous chargen can be.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

shroomofinsanity wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:52 am I'm very jazzed about a tough and adventurous sci/fi game. I'm hoping we get to play a little dangerous, less 10' pole, more stepping into the unknown and reacting to the consequences, and if we die, well them's the space breaks...
That sounds fun to me, I'll aim for tough and adventurous as a component of Space Western. Risk aversion and 10' poles will be moreso up to you. :D

Faanku wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:26 am Hi guys, good to meet new players on here!
With you making a Pacter and Enoch looking at Godhunter, we need to make sure you two talk and come to terms on why you cooperate. :)

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Enoch »

Marullus wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:21 pm
shroomofinsanity wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:52 am I'm very jazzed about a tough and adventurous sci/fi game. I'm hoping we get to play a little dangerous, less 10' pole, more stepping into the unknown and reacting to the consequences, and if we die, well them's the space breaks...
That sounds fun to me, I'll aim for tough and adventurous as a component of Space Western. Risk aversion and 10' poles will be moreso up to you. :D

Faanku wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:26 am Hi guys, good to meet new players on here!
With you making a Pacter and Enoch looking at Godhunter, we need to make sure you two talk and come to terms on why you cooperate. :)
As far as I'm concerned: Faanku, if you want to go Pacter, I can do Godhunter or Godhunter/Pacter if you don't mind hunting Shadow cults and independent Shadows from time to time. I see such a character as being eminently pragmatic, kind of a "fight fire with fire" sort. He'd have no problem teaming up with a Pacter to hunt cults.

Would your Pacter be willing to team up with somebody who hunted Shadows (not yours, naturally)?

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by redwarrior »

I'm anticipating digging into the lore and doing character creation tomorrow/Saturday (depending on how much I actually have to work tomorrow. :-) ) and will have my guy up no later than Sunday AM. Looking forward to getting started!

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Faanku »

Enoch wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:41 pmWould your Pacter be willing to team up with somebody who hunted Shadows (not yours, naturally)?
I was considering taking the clergy background and making a wandering preacher type who believes they are summoning angels or other such 'good' spirits, so it would only make sense that there are evil demon spirits in their vision of the world. Perhaps we could be cleric and paladin with a shared or similar faith? (Plus it would let me roll on the random religion tables from SWN 1.0).

EDIT: I made the rolls.
Origin Tradition: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Leadership: Patriarchal/Matriarchal - A single leader determines doctrine for the entire religion, possibly in consultation with other clerics.
Evolution: Sacrifices - The faith finds it necessary to make substantial sacrifices to please God. Some faiths may go so far as to offer human sacrifices, while others insist on huge tithes offered to the building of religious edifices.

And then a heresy based on this religion.
Founder: High Prelate - Founded by an important and powerful cleric to convey his or her beliefs.
Major Heresy: Stringency - The sect believes that even minor sins should be punished, and major sins should be capital crimes.
Attitude Towards Orthodoxy: Filial - The sect honours and respects the orthodox faith, but feels it is substantially in error.
Quirk: Must donate labour or tithe money to the sect

So, it looks like the already bloodthirsty Church we broke off from just wasn't ruthless enough for someone close to one of our characters, so they founded their own branch that still respects the original faith but goes the extra mile to punish wrongdoing. Honestly, that sounds like a pretty workable belief structure for someone who hunts 'evil' shadows. I think I'll develop this idea a little more and go with it.
Last edited by Faanku on Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Enoch »

That would be awesome. I'm currently picturing my bound spirit as a "demon" of sorts, enslaved to help fight its own kind. Ain't never seen an angel, preacher-man, but if you say you can summon 'em...well, I won't gainsay you.

Right now I'm thinking of m,y character as an ex-cultist, but there's nobody more fervent than the reformed...I'd love to play a paladin-type, looking to you for theology and killin' demons for our Lord.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Marullus »

Holy crap that is amazing.

I am quite happy to have a brimstone preacher in our Western.

Return to “Dust to Dust (SWN)”