[001] Welcome to Birach

joertexas
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [001] Welcome to Birach

#61 Post by shaidar »

Captain Dubois

Anne spends time going through the data, after about 20 minutes she goes over to Foix and asks Captain Smythe to join them. She looks grave, when she speaks she does so loud enough so that everyone on the bridge can hear:

"I know you both want to to resolve this situation with no further casualties, so let us focus on that and you can resolve your differences later. The first thing that is obvious from the data is that while Sublieutenant Domici has been doing a fine job, they haven't always completely avoided the warships weapons.Their ship is severely damaged and they cannot keep this up for much longer. Secondly, the ship reacts to radio waves. There is a distinct possibility that if it does not find the station it will go hunting for something else, such as one of the nearby planets. With the weapons it has that could be devastating. I'm not even sure the first Birach DSF will be enough on it's own, we might need to buy enough time for the second fleet to arrive. However, I do have the beginnings of an idea. If the ship reacts to radio waves then we have radio wave emitters, to be exact our gigs and in particular the life pods, which will automatically start an active scan after a few hours, we could use these to distract the warship. We need to convene a meeting of those with appropriate knowledge and experience and work this problem through! I also suggest that we try to contact the tug again, but have Lieutenant Pike do it, as she knows Sublieutenant Domici personally."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Rock
And on that note, I will assemble by rescue team by the 30dTon Ships Boat as that has the best thrust.
Roll Call
Who's in
  • Pilot
  • Navigator/Observer
  • Emergency Airlock Party (2-3)
  • Master at Arms
  • Medic (Rock)

Rock counts heads and confirms the jobs of each member, checks equipment and then leads them aboard.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Leitz »

[1437.003.0925 (Ship Time)] Lady Perelandra, Birach System

Rock

The rescue team visibly relaxed when the order came to use the small craft. The young girl smiled. "Much easier."

When Rock started directing people, the CPO coughed slightly. "You all know the drill. Get Vinnie to pilot. Run it by the numbers. We'll be right there."

Each member of the team nodded, then the young girl grimaced and bowed her head. As each team member left to prepare, they touched the girl's left shoulder patch. In fifteen seconds it was just Rock, the CPO, and the girl. She stepped to Rock and said "You can, if you want."

Rock's choice to interact

Then it was just Rock and the CPO.

"With all due respect, sir, please do not order the crew about. We are glad to have you aboard, and we will rescue your children as if they are our own. We have run this drill. Your best chance to get your children back is to let us do our job in the way we have trained." The CPOs voice was rough, but tender.

Open for interaction.

"Make sure your biowaste hookups are fitted tight, it's going to be several hours before we are back aboard," the CPO said as he pointed to the port craft launch. "McConnell will run through the drill once we're cut loose. Meet you at the hatch in ten minutes."

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by The Bindoner »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 am Rock
And on that note, I will assemble by rescue team by the 30dTon Ships Boat as that has the best thrust.
Roll Call
Who's in
  • Pilot
  • Navigator/Observer
  • Emergency Airlock Party (2-3)
  • Master at Arms
  • Medic (Rock)

Rock counts heads and confirms the jobs of each member, checks equipment and then leads them aboard.
Zhenya stays with the party as they head to the boat deck. As they walk she presents herself to Rock:

Baron Doctor Harmersbach, I am Lady Yevgenia Ilyanovna Kuryakhina. My armour, if not my sword in this case, is at your service. I would be shamed if were not to assist in the rescue of your children.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by BackworldTraveller »

To the young woman - What is that with the shoulder?

To the CPO - That pod accelerated at 1G and is now coasting - we have been mucking about for what, 15mins and will accelerate at 5G - That should be quicker than a couple of hours...so what's the ship going to do that will take us so long to catch up? Anything you can divulge?

And to Zhenya: And I would be a fool not to accept - although the CPO is in charge and doesn't appear to want the good operation of his team interfered with.

And, checking my stun-pistol and picking up the medical bag, I move to my seat and strap in.

To the CPO, Zhenya & Master-at-arms - And if there is an adult with those children, I'd prefer them alive to answer questions to dead. - but dead will work if it has to.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Leitz »

Rock and Zhenya

"I'm their good luck charm," McConnell said to Rock, as she quickly touched the CPO's shoulder patch. "My mother trained under Chief Lucky, and I'm the ships Disaster Control Tech."

McConnell quickly turned and strode to the craft hatch.

"She omits the fact that she's at least three times as smart as the rest of us. Ship myth is that her mother and the Chief were more than friends. I think she believes it, too." The CPO smiled and kept his voice low. "Chief Lucky rewrote Navy rescue operations manuals. The procedure were going to run comes straight from the man who has saved thousands of lives."

As they walked, the CPO continued to talk. "The pod hits six gee by the end of it's initial burn. My guess is that the Lady won't maintain current course, and we may have to chat with the local Navy before this is all done. I don't know what the Captain has planned, but we may be Rescue for more than one pod. That's why McConnell is going with us, she can make the right things happen in the right sequence."

When Zhenya spoke, the CPO nodded. "If you like, ma'am, tell McConnell that. Orders are to only use low power comms. We have a control module that can be placed on the pod. It will let us override the pods command systems and communicate with anyone inside. Once the line is connected you should be able to scoot over easily."

Addendum When Rock showed his anger at any potential adults in the pod, the CPO didn't seem to disagree.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by The Bindoner »

To the CPO, Zhenya & Master-at-arms - And if there is an adult with those children, I'd prefer them alive to answer questions to dead. - but dead will work if it has to.
Zhenya grins wolfishly: Both of those options are within my capability, though I too prefer the former.
When Zhenya spoke, the CPO nodded. "If you like, ma'am, tell McConnell that. Orders are to only use low power comms. We have a control module that can be placed on the pod. It will let us override the pods command systems and communicate with anyone inside. Once the line is connected you should be able to scoot over easily."
Thank you CPO. I am used to operating with restricted comms. I shall speak with McConnell and place myself at her disposal.

Zhenya nods a token bow to each of the men and strides off to talk to McConnell.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Tiglath »

Foix

Foix gives Taheri a cheerful grin and as Grimaud makes his way over to offer Bucks Fizz says "Commander, you are looking radiant and purposeful as ever! Captain Dubois and her team are doing something technical that will garner us further information with which to counter the Cruiser".

Foix listens carefully to Dubois and replies with deliberate and professional focus "I believe the station should still move or be moved if it is the priority target for the Cruiser. My ward, Juliette, should indeed contact the brave Alba and offer her both the our new Intel and whatever assistance we can render. If you want radio beacons we can convert missiles - they are cheaper than our small craft, which we may yet need, and we have a bigger supply. The "smart" variants have two way comms that could perhaps be converted from tight beam to broadcast. These would provide the "target drones" you need to distract the Cruiser. We can unload the turrets and ready magazines into the hold and convert them en masse".
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by shaidar »

Captain Dubois looks thoughtful

"Once it was warned of the situation the station would have started moving immediately after going dark, I am sure of this. What I am less sure of is if decoys will be enough to divert the warship. It has shown no change of course or speed since detected, despite the efforts of the sublieutenant to get it's attention. Whether this means the ship is incapable of maneovering, or simply unwilling, is not clear. The ship is old, centuries I think, and based on the way it engages it weapons, I believe it's under computer control. A computer that must deem the station to be the biggest threat in the system. It has a beam weapon point defense system, but it's unclear as to whether it has fighters. It's sensors are limited, passive and sensitive to RF only it seems. It doesn't react to mass only, which is why Alba's ship is forced to do a comms burst to get it to fire upon the asteroids. We must get Alba to retreat before they are destroyed. I have noticed that the warship isn't closing the protective screen when it's not firing the main weapon. If a ship could get close enough to the weapon and self destruct it might be enough to cause a catastrophic failure in the gun. That is my conjecture, at least, and I welcome the input of others"

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Tiglath »

Foix

Foix adds "It is often not the size of the charge but where it is placed. One of our sub craft would be agile enough to fly into the spinal mount itself. As with any weapon even a small obstruction in the barrel can lead to complete destruction. The interior of the spinal mount contains high energy shielding - it contains and focusses the beam. If we compromise that - just like blocking the barrel of a CPR weapon, then it may fail at its next firing and vent its energy into the cruiser's interior. A conventional charge may suit better, I suggest multiple missile warheads, as I'm sure the cruiser must be equipped with nuclear dampers as proof against naval nuclear ordnance. Trying to overload a ship's drives within range of active dampers will simply fail. Of course, I would like to hear from those with expert knowledge".

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by shaidar »

Captain Dubois smiles at Foix

"The fact that there is high energy shielding in the spinal mount will very likely mean that there will be no nuclear dampening inside. The question is, do we, or Alba's ship, have any nukes? "

Anne pauses and quickly flicks through some data on her hand computer and her smile grows:

" Alba's ship has nukes, and it doesn't look like they've deployed them"

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Tiglath »

Foix

Foix replies with a smile "Madame Captain, you are well aware of my limitations in matters technical but, in layman's terms, is not setting off explosives in a cannon ... simply firing the cannon? I will need your opinion on weight and placement of the charge so as to best "spike" this gun".

He draws on his cigar and blows a smoke ring admiring it for a moment before adding "I am more at home with social interaction and, while no expert, I am quite sure that the casual "borrowing" of nuclear weapons is perhaps best conducted under the terms of "a favour to a friend". I believe Mademoiselle Juliette may again be best placed to ask".

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by shaidar »

Captain Dubois

"Well, let's just say that I wouldn't want to be around when it goes off. My specialities are engineering and tactics, less explosives, so if there's anyone that can assist in that area that would improve our chances of success. When it comes to Sublieutenant Lefron may I suggest we get them fully involved, they have the technical knowledge on their specific weapons that will be useful and I am sure they will embrace a way out of their situation. "

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Leitz »

LT Pike had quickly discovered something. Her professional voice was strong. "Comms, sending you coordinates now."

"Acknowledged, I have the coordinates," SENS Fevre replied. She looked to Smythe, "Sir?"

Smythe had already stepped back from Gauvain's blatant disregard for the health and safety of the crew. He looked around the bridge, his gaze finally making it back to Fevre.

"Aye. Give them our position and request open comms. Same for the SubLieutenant, on her next burst." He turned back to Gauvain. "Sir, with all due respect, you are putting the health and safety of my crew at risk. There is no smoking in duty locations. Please remove your cigar, with or without yourself attached, from my bridge."

"Sir, the Research Station acknowledges comm link. After the next burst they will send us detailed local data. Rescue team is underway."
Fevre paused, and smiled. "Birach DSF-A acknowledges comm link and asks our intention."

Smythe gave a 'one moment' hand motion to Fevre, and looked at Gauvain. "We are going to render aid as best we can. Will it be with the full support of you and your retinue, or without?"

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Rock

The journey to the pod, in the back of the pinnace, offers little distraction. He looks at the person sat over the aisle. Dark armour, well worn. Clearly wealthy enough to have replaced it with something else, but it must be favoured - because she hasn't. Or, maybe she is with the count because her own wealth has fled. Old House, Name and Pride and Desperation. As he's the new-comer he hasn't met her before, even at dinner she was remote from Elvira and I.

Uncharacteristically unsure of where to start, Rock checks his bag again. Diagnostic Kit, Vials of various Drugs and their dispensers, kits for burns, breaks, wounds, poisonings; Hypothermia, Vacuum Exposure. Rock realises that these people on the shuttle are risking themselves for his children because they can. An unusual feeling in a world where every action is usually traded for some family benefit. (Or is Zenhya looking for some recompense? No - That is unworthy of me.)

Zenhya, the Comte, he has a most eclectic mix of people in his current entourage - for a military man. It is most kind of you to offer your services - Thank You. Do you have a white knight lurking behind that black armour, perhaps?

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by The Bindoner »

Zhenya turns a serious gaze on Rock:

No, Doktor Harmersbach , I am quite alone in here. As a man of medicine you should see there is no room for even a squire, and I think I resent the implication I would smuggle a paramour aboard at such a serious moment.

Her composure cracks and she laughs briefly. Smiling she apologises:

I am sorry, it is poor manners to tease a man under stress. I prefer to listen to music before action, rough humour is my substitute. I like something sweet too. She takes a packet of barley-sugars out of a thigh pocket and offers it before popping one in her mouth.

I am no White Knight, but I hope I am not so black as my panoply. There are children in danger, I have the experience and equipment to help, how could I do other?

I admit, I also crave action and I am no use on the ship. * a sigh * I am at risk of learning the habit of indolence. It is good to have something to do.

Musing:

Yes, the Comte has indeed attracted a fascinating range of talent into his orbit. A foreigner like me, and someone of your family. I used to know a Harmersbach, back in '32. So, you see, we are not entirely strangers.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Rock

Chief Petty Officer. How long until we rendezvous?

Actually, now I feel like one of my children - "Are we nearly there yet?".

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Leitz »

"Comte." Smythe's voice was respectful, yet firm. "You are used to being in the heat of battle; we have heard many tales of Le Diable. I doubt neither your courage nor your leadership, but this is a different battle. My crew isn't nearly as fearless as you are, but every single one of them chose to be here. Many more wanted this chance, but the ship can only have so many crew."

His voice was so low Gauvain could barely hear it. "In their hearts, each one of them wants to be as brave as you. They have trained for things most ship crews never concern themselves with. Loaders can replace missiles twice as fast as standard. When we broke into realspace the maneuver drives were already tuned and operational. Gunners were at their posts and ready for whatever order came."

"They want to impress you. I ask that you give them that chance, sir. Let them stand with Le Diable."

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Tiglath »

Foix eyes Smythe for a moment and then a dangerous smile reaches his blue eyes as he gathers himself to his full height. He looks to the comms officer who toggles her console to broadcast to the entire crew. Foix raises a voice that has carried both through countless firefights and across dusty parade grounds and does what he does best. “Attention, mes amis, ici Le Diable". He waits then continues "You will be aware that this rogue Cruiser is a clear threat to the defenceless people of the Birach system. Fifty thousand tons seems like a lot, no? She's a big girl and she's angry as hell but you know me - I think I can talk her round into letting me board her”. He waits again, some lower decks humour meant he was talking not to the officers or the nobility but to the deck hands, missile loaders and the artificers in their machine spaces - and they would know it. “I mean to board the Cruiser and plant demolition charges to neutralise the threat. It's going to be a tricky job and so I'll need some help. I need a crack crew at my back to cover the operation. The odds are fifty to one but I wouldn't want any other crew with me! This can not be an order. I have to ask you if we will do this together”. He pauses again “Now is the moment for heroes. Now I ask you. Are you with me? Are you with me???”

(OOC: Leadership [2d6] = 9
Plus:
Leader 2
Soc (stat bonus) +2

Managed to use the dice roller but under Grimaud ... :roll: :oops: )
Last edited by Tiglath on Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:00 pm “Now is the moment for heroes. Now I ask you. Are you with me? Are you with me???”
Vee looks around to see how the bridge crew reacts. Once a general, always a general, she thinks for the thousandth time in the six months she's worked with Gauvain.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Return to “An Honorable Foix (CE Traveller)”