[OOC] Character Concepts

joertexas
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[OOC] Character Concepts

#1 Post by Leitz »

I've thought about this a little more, and it would make my life a lot easier if the PCs came in with Comte Foix. The reason being is that there is a lot of setting data to be had. By bringing PCs in, the data can be shared as needed. Otherwise it's a fairly substantial dump that may or may not have direct game relevance.

That said, the PC could be a Birach noble or socialite who was born elsewhere, but feels the call to return home. Many of them left when the General took power. Noble grants are due every few years, and there is often room for a capable leader to be recognized and put to work.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Rock Harmersbach

#2 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The Harmersbach are a family that are named for the Belt in the outer reaches of the Birach System. They are known for their Mineral Extraction Corporations, but their interests are wider than that.

Rock not the Heir. And as such, was forced to find his own way - which he did. Medicine. Quiet obscurity - until he found himself married to Elvira and obliged to return to a life of noble privilege and pointlessness at the General's Court.

The result was Safari - away in obscure systems to avoid the Generals clutches. Until...

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [OOC] Character Concepts

#3 Post by Leitz »

How to improve this Navy Space Warfare Officer career?

Code: Select all

Navy Officer Career

Term 1 Initial Space Warfare Officer Duty

All Junior Officer skills at 0.
Roll 8+ (Edu DM) for each skill, success grants that skill at 1.
Roll Promotion (Int DM):
  6+  O2
  10+ O3

Term 2 Advanced Space Warfare Officer Duty

Roll for Assignment (Soc DM)
  2-5   Space Duty, Roll twice for Service or Officer skills
  6-9   Fleet Duty, Admin +1 and one Technical School
  10+   Special Duty

Roll 8+ for Promotion (Int DM)

Term 3+

Roll for Assignment as per Term 2.
Roll for Promotion, 10+ (Soc DM, Admin)

Skills

Junior       Space      Technical     Service
  Officer     Officer     School
   O0+         O3+
1 Admin       Admin       Computer      +1 Str
2 Pilot       Legal       Tactics       Melee
3 Navigation  Leader      Logistics     +1 End
4 Comms       Liaison     Engineering   GunCbt
5 Gunnery     Tactics     Bridge        +2 Edu
6 Eng         Logistics   Merchant      Carouse

Notes:
  Merchant:   Roll for 2 Merchant Service Skills
  Bridge:     Roll 8+ each for Pilot, Navigation, Comms
  Logistics:  Useful skill for anything larger than a one ship engagement

Special Duty: Roll 1 die
  1   Assigned to another service, roll 2 service skills
  2   Advanced Education, add 1d3 to Edu
  3   Shore Duty, one additional mustering out benefit, one skill
  4   School Duty, Instruction-2
  5   Staff College, Roll 8+ each for Admin, Legal, Computer, Logistics
  6   Command College, Roll 8+ each for Tactics, Leader, Liaison, +1 Soc

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Tiglath »

Here's not improvements but alternatives! :)

Re: skills

Maybe trade Junior Officer Admin for Sensor Ops (or equivalent) to cover all the core/line ship skills?

Technical School: Tactics seems out of place with the other "Tech" skills.

So swap for Electronics and keep Tactics in the Line Command O3+ skill pool?

Re: special duty

Swap Adv Edu for Flight School and make Adv Edu a Muster Out bonus?

Flight School: Pilot/Sensor Ops, Ship Tactics/Gunnery, Vac Suit or Survival.

The above is Fleet Fighter Wings / COACC [ aka "Top Gun"].

The choice of alternate skills allowing "Maverick" (Pilot) or "Goose" (Sensor / Wpns Operator) builds. Pilot being a catchall here rather than Ship's Boat or Grav Vehicle which could be more specific alternatives.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Leitz »

Ha! Totally forgot about VaccSuit, that's what I get for typing past my nappy time...

Naval careers follow paths, and this one is the "general ship officer who might make it to Captain one day" track. There are lots of other tracks; Flight, Medical, Science, etc. Using modern navies as a a model, the specialized tracks don't tend to make command, though. Well, Flight officers command aircraft carriers, but how many of those do we have?

I see a bridge operating on four aspects; helm controls the motion of the ship, navigation plots the paths (system and jump), and comms does both communications and sensor operations. Same skill, and on smaller craft the same bridge console. The watch officer coordinates everything and commands the ship itself. On larger ships a gunnery officer would also be on the bridge.

The Space Warfare Officer is expected to end their first term as an O2 and have the basics of each of the bridge skills as well as having spent a year down in engineering. On their second tour they've earned their space legs, and are now working to become the commander who can transform a gaggle of souls and a pile of metal into an effective war resource.

While Tactics(Ship) and Tactics(Fleet) make some sense, I put them together. A SWO will have studied space battles, even if they only get late shift watch officer on a fueling pinnace. I also keep Engineering as one skill, based on the US Navy. Techs get a wide variety of training before stepping foot on a ship.

Logistics needs better definition, but it is one of the key war-winning skills. In game, a PC with Logistics could look at a problem and discern who is doing what, based on supply routes and manifests. Well, they'd have a better chance than most of us.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

How the game really works

Most of you haven't run with me as DM before, so I'm going to give you fair warning. Consider this "fair warning" on how I run games. :lol:

Imagine a billiards table, with enthusiastic but not professional players. The first impact sends things in reasonable, if not predictable, directions. It becomes an event where each action can totally change perspective and the environment.

Now, imagine each of you is at your own table, and sometimes things from another player's table will bounce in and shift things again. Every once in a while a ball from your table goes someplace else. You realize the tables might be connected.

Now, imagine that there are other tables, and you don't know the players. But there are connections to your table from a table in the building across town. There is a deadly game being played, and each shot counts.

Welcome!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Leitz »

Let's also assume that "Damage Control" falls under "Engineering". At least for the officers.

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#8 Post by lenusmars »

Hi Everyone!

As a broad concept I'm interested in playing a Noble/Scientist or Noble/Doctor who is the younger sister, (by minutes or by a year or two) of Lysette Foix, if that is agreeable to everyone (esp. Tigaleth).
If that's okay, then I'll need to know how old Lysette is.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by BackworldTraveller »

lenusmars wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:35 pm Hi Everyone!

As a broad concept I'm interested in playing a Noble/Scientist or Noble/Doctor who is the younger sister, (by minutes or by a year or two) of Lysette Foix, if that is agreeable to everyone (esp. Tigaleth).
Can I suggest the Scientist route as I've got a Noble/Doctor - Or maybe that's why we know each other?

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#10 Post by lenusmars »

Scientist works for me.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by The Bindoner »

I'm thinking about some sort "agent" type. Someone who seems unserious

Option 1: Ex-"Diplomat". Main skills Admin, Liaison/Diplomacy, Bribery, Forgery, Deception with a bit of stealth.

Option 2: Art Dealer and party-person / Fence of stolen art, arranger of acquisitions, connected. Main skills Broker, Streetwise, Carouse. essentially a retread of Kiki from a stalled game: viewtopic.php?f=718&t=8240

Option 3: Big Game Hunter/Explorer Main skills Long Gun, Stealth, Carouse.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Leitz »

I remember Kiki. Can't really help your decision, any of those would fit in.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The Bindoner wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:16 pm I'm thinking about some sort "agent" type. Someone who seems unserious

Option 1: Ex-"Diplomat". Main skills Admin, Liaison/Diplomacy, Bribery, Forgery, Deception with a bit of stealth.

Option 2: Art Dealer and party-person / Fence of stolen art, arranger of acquisitions, connected. Main skills Broker, Streetwise, Carouse. essentially a retread of Kiki from a stalled game: viewtopic.php?f=718&t=8240

Another hunter wouldn't hurt...particularly a competent one rather than a dilettante one like my character

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Tiglath »

lenusmars wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:35 pm Hi Everyone!

Hello there lenusmars - good to be gaming with you again! :D

No objections from me at all - what a great character concept!

Leitz has the final word, of course, but as to Lysette's age I'd say go with whatever suits your PC. FWIW canonically Foix (age 38) meets Lysette while on leave from the Legion and they get married after a whirlwind romance during the last couple of terms of his career but they could easily have met before that so go with what suits you / your PC build! :)

Your PC may have some insight into whether Lysette Eloise is either "mad" or "bad" or something else! I certainly don't know - but Leitz might! ;)

She is also ideally placed to have previously encountered Foix and could therefore either like or loathe him! He has that effect - as you are all too aware! :lol: I imagine the circumstances might entail suitable elements of "bedroom farce". Maybe something along the lines of Foix romantically climbing onto her balcony bearing a rose only to eventually explain that he's actually there to see her sister... :roll: Or maybe shooing (or shooting??? :lol: ) Foix off her balcony attracts Lysette's attention (causing her to be smitten) and sisterly guilt to ensue...?

Looking forward to whatever you come up with! :)
Last edited by Tiglath on Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by The Bindoner »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:37 pm
The Bindoner wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:16 pm I'm thinking about some sort "agent" type. Someone who seems unserious

Another hunter wouldn't hurt...particularly a competent one rather than a dilettante one like my character
Oh, I was thinking dilettante :D

I think we ought to have a range, so I probably won't go with a second hunter.

Between Zhenya and Kiki then... Broker or Spook.

I'll regenerate both in CE and see how they turn out.

Edit:

Actually, when I say dilettante hunter I meant "appears to be nothing more than". I was thinking that was his cover to travel to places where deeds must be done in deniable ways.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Leitz »

Feel free to create the concept and then the character. Maybe roll the skill dice and then pick the table. Whatever helps build the character you're looking to play.

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#17 Post by lenusmars »

Tiglath wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:39 pm Hello there lenusmars - good to be gaming with you again! :D

No objections from me at all - what a great character concept!
You too! I'm glad you like it.
Tiglath wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:39 pm Leitz has the final word, of course, but as to Lysette's age I'd say go with whatever suits your PC. FWIW canonically Foix (age 38) meets Lysette while on leave from the Legion and they get married after a whirlwind romance during the last couple of terms of his career but they could easily have met before that so go with what suits you / your PC build! :)
How old is Foix himself at this point? That would give me a good anchor.

Tiglath wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:39 pm Your PC may have some insight into whether Lysette Eloise is either "mad" or "bad" or something else! I certainly don't know - but Leitz might! ;)

She is also ideally placed to have previously encountered Foix and could therefore either like or loathe him! He has that effect - as you are all too aware! :lol: I imagine the circumstances might entail suitable elements of "bedroom farce". Maybe something along the lines of Foix romantically climbing onto her balcony bearing a rose only to eventually explain that he's actually there to see her sister... :roll: Or maybe shooing (or shooting??? :lol: ) Foix off her balcony attracts Lysette's attention (causing her to be smitten) and sisterly guilt to ensue...?

Looking forward to whatever you come up with! :)
Lots of ideas! It will be fun to play.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Leitz »

This game starts about six months after the previous Foix game ended. So Foix himself is 38-39.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by BackworldTraveller »

What was the best school on Birach?
What is the University College Medical School called in Oregrund?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Leitz »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:49 am What was the best school on Birach?
What is the University College Medical School called in Oregrund?
Well, best school is going to be tough. The two coasts, East and West, have a strong rivalry. The West cost is where the capital city is, and there are more political leanings there. Nora, Navy Fleet command, is on the west coast. For the last two hundred years, the Navy has defended space and completely stayed out of dirtside politics. The Army and the Navy don't even talk to each other. The Army controls everything within Birach's atmosphere, the Navy everything outside of it.

Oregund is on the left coast, south of Ifningholm. Good medical schools, mostly funded by and run by Atrean medical staff and professors. You can decide if Rock, in his youth, realized that the Atreans are a bit more progressive in their human experimentation. :) Still, Torkington College is likely what you're thinking about. Very old school, what we would call "Ivy League". Elitist, and long pre-dates the General and the Atrean "alliance".

Also, Birach has a very high literacy rate, and effective public schooling. Well, had, anyway. What has happened in the last twenty years is anyone's guess.

Return to “An Honorable Foix (CE Traveller)”