Quest #34 "The Search For The Ruined Tower”

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #34 "The Search For The Ruined Tower”

#941 Post by Bluehorse »

How think is the treetops? Is there a canopy?
Also how far do the trees go west from our position?

Looking at Keyon: Can you go up and scout the area north and west of here to see if there is anything we should avoid? Trees can offer some protection from the sun and those wasps riders... but getting a look ahead in either direction could help us pick a path and avoid some danger. I figure we are about 7 miles from the cliffs, but now that they know we are here, we might not want to split up so much. At least not over a large distance.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#942 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

The elf smiles faintly and gestures to the box. "Aye...all that and more was within my grasp. I drew one plaque and it hurt me--in my mind." His brow furrows briefly, but the smile soon reappears. "But the second plaque rewarded me with this carpet. And I imagine still more wonders lie within. We wrested the box from an undead horror beneath the tower." Keyon points back toward the crumbling edifice.

He glances at Keg, then into the sky to check for more of their ever-present enemies. "I would like a look around, yes. What of the small one who aided in our battle?" He asks, looking around for the pixie. "I suppose she's vanished...perhaps we will meet again."

He climbs upon the carpet and hovers off the ground. "I'll start to the North and loop West before heading back. Anyone wish to ride along?"
Last edited by Paladin on Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#943 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bluehorse wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:03 pm How think is the treetops? Is there a canopy?
Also how far do the trees go west from our position?
This is the same area you walked on your way to the ruins.

There is a thin line of scraggly trees in between the rocky cliffs and the marshland, so no canopy to speak of.

They run West for about 3.5 more miles before the terrain turns more rocky as it meets the higher cliff area to the north.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#944 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

Amun - Sorry not sure how I didn't post it, but I've added it. Here's the description anyway: Female Elf: Dark hair and features add to the sullen countenance of Feanol. She is dressed in robes of Midnight Blue with silver stars embroidered on them. Her hair held back by a plain silver band. Her gaze is cutting, but her tongue is soft when she speaks. And, right now she is not wearing her best gown, but is wearing breeches, boots, a blouse and is carrying a bag over one shoulder. Her long hair braided up to minimize issues.

Hearing Keyon planning on leaving, she immediately says "I'm coming", and joins him on the carpet.

Once they leave she will tell him. "I agree we need to use the plaques in the box, but not unless pressed, or we reach a safe spot"

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#945 Post by sastaz »

Feanol, thanks!

Amun seems hesitant as she studies the carpet.

"Amun did not know of the small forest elf that aided us. Perhaps enemy of the wasp people. Not all will fit on that thing, Amun will travel on foot with companions that cannot fit either. Where is this safe place you speak of?"

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#946 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

After many moans and groans. Darklin finally comes around.

What happened, we had them on the run. Looks like I was defeated again. More scars to add to the old ones. Glad to see you all made it back. Thank You Elnaerel. I assume you healed me. And who is this stunning new guest? OHHH. Sword arm is still sore.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#947 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel

Elnaerel is a petite bond elf with freckles and penetrating blue eyes. Her sweet looking face is usually contrasted by her serious expression, as if she were worried or thinking things over. She breaks that expression from time to time when are smiles with kindness to other people.

Despite her lithe appearance, she's pretty strong, wearing chainmail armour, a horned helm and a kite shield that covers her from shoulder to knee. For a weapon she presently has a rough wooden club, but her preferred weapon is the morningstar. Under her chainmail she's wearing olive green clothes and sturdy travel boots.

Damn I should copy this on her character sheet.

Edit: I actually checked and there is description of her already on her character sheet. Pretty similar to this one actually :lol: Thing is that I don't like putting them in public because backstory and all. That's only for the DM to know IMO :SAN:

"No need to thank my, Darklin. I couldn't have done otherwise.

This is Amun. She saved your life fighting against the wasps and making them flee for their lives! The gods wanted that she walked precisely here at this moment. She got marooned here because an acquaintance of her decided to leave the island without her."

She suddenly realises what Amun just said she suddenly turns to her with surprised expression.

"Wait, Amun, what elven woman were you talking about?"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#948 Post by Jernau35 »

The Knife

The Knife keeps lurking in the weeds. I hope this cloud stayed together in the breeze, he worries. What if part of me got blown away? I might come out of this 6 inches shorter, or missing an arm!

When is the stupid thing going to wear off!
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#949 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Returning To Beachtown?
Sunday, 28th of Goodmonth
Mid Morning, Sunny, Hot, Breezy

While cloudy TK hovers behind a rock in the tall grass, wondering how long he will remain like this, the topic of the missing pixie is discussed. Countless times now a mysterious entity has entered the battle, done almost nothing to actually help, before leaving no trace of themselves behind once they depart again. The strange anomaly seems to have happened again as Elnaerel and Amun search the area the friendly fey was last seen to no avail.

Darklin rises and shakes out his growing aches and pains. After being knocked unconscious so many times, one might wonder how the elf is still able to function at all. Hopefully his luck of not dying will continue, but for one so reckless, nothing is certain in this dangerous place.

Keyon and Feanol discuss cracking open the box of magic plaques again, but not until they reach a safer spot to make the picks. They begin flying over the edge of the marsh to the North, but almost instantly spot a large black winged creature in the distance, circling around something on the ground that neither of them can make out. Amun remembers seeing a few of these things flying around the area while she was exploring for the last several weeks, but never got close enough to one of them to see what it was.
flat,750x1000,075,f.u8.jpg
flat,750x1000,075,f.u8.jpg (42.36 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Flying any further North will almost assuredly catch the huge monsters attention, or maybe any other direction as well. With TK still in gas form, if the group wants to start walking back now, they will need to come up with a way to prevent their gassy gnome from floating away on the strong ocean breeze.

Actions?

positions:
Keg Woodwright AC1 12/13
Keyon AC4 6/6
Elnaerel AC3 8/10 0/3
The Knife AC4* 2/5
Darklin Sylvanas AC4 6/8 1/1 CL, DM, RM
Feanol AC10 4/4 1/1 CL, DM, RM
Amun AC:4 9/13

overall map:
viewtopic.php?p=366477#p366477

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#950 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

Growing concerned with Keyon's repeated mentions of one of the plaques affecting his head/mind decides to probe some as they fly. "Keyon, you say you drew a card and it did something to your mind? Do you remember the card, and can you explain what it did to you? I ask because these kinds of devices have many gifts and perils in them typically. So you may be harboring some future outburst of the power of fate, or you could have been given a gift you don't know how to use or control." She'll reach over and place two fingers on each of his temple from behind him, and begin a small soft rubbing of them. "Does it still hurt?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#951 Post by OGRE MAGE »

oh sure, just needed to get these two alone..... :lol:

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#952 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

Immediately upon spotting the large creature, Keyon softly commands the carpet to lower and return to the group. He keeps a careful eye upon the beast and if it turns to pursue them, he will seek some form of cover near the group and warn them as soon as they're within earshot.

If it does not, he'll fly quietly back and inform them of what he and Feanol saw and the direction and distance.

Meanwhile upon the carpet, he will happily accept the attention and admit that his head does ache. "I don't know what happened. I only know I feel slightly...drained. As if I'm somehow less than before. I don't like it," he admits. "It was a brief wrenching sensation and then it was all over. I felt compelled to draw another plaque, but the risk was worth the reward."

:lol: Just saw your comment, OM. Made me laugh.
Last edited by Paladin on Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#953 Post by sastaz »

When Amun hears about the black dragon.

"Can we not walk there? If wasps attack we will defeat them again! Or we move in the shadow of night."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#954 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel

The cleric opens her eyes wide when she hears mention of a dragon. "You did will coming back. Let's take cover and wait until it's a bit darker and less hot. Perhaps the dangers will have passed by them and The Knife will be himself again.

Does anyone have a bottle where we can put him in? Although... What happens when he turns back to being himself being inside a bottle?"

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#955 Post by sastaz »

Amun produces a large canvas sack and tries to catcth the TK cloud in it.

"We need move. This one will fit a gnome. Then we can rest in shadow of trees and keep guard until night. Does priestess know which way lead off this island?"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#956 Post by Jernau35 »

The Knife

The Knife swirls around the backpack he dropped in the grass. He waits for someone to notice it and pick it up before he gets into sack.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#957 Post by sastaz »

Amun

"It...gets in the...sack" *trips on backpack*

"She said it. Gets. In. The...." *almost falls off rocky outcrop*

"Gnome be damned and gets in THE SACK!!"

Amun throws herself with the sack raised over the cloud that never seems to remain in place for more than a fraction of a second.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#958 Post by Karaunios »

Elnaerel

Elnaerel helps Amun getting the cloudy Knife into the sack and will take his backpack and give it to someone not as burdened as she already is. Maybe the carpet can take on the role of a mule for a while.

"The only way I know out of this island is in town... There's a small town, precisely where we're headed now. From time to time there's a ship bringing new people and provisions ordered from the mainland. How often does the ship come, I don't know, but I'd venture there's still a week or two to go before the next one arrives." She says to Amun.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#959 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Returning To Beachtown?
Sunday, 28th of Goodmonth
Early Afternoon, Sunny, Hot, Breezy

Watching the figure flying in the distance intently for a moment, it doesn't actually appear to be a dragon, but it is definitely large, dark, menacing, and easily mistaken. Thankfully, it doesn't appear to be coming any closer to the groups position, allowing them to concentrate further on how they will eventually get back to town.

Keyon and Feanol involve themselves in a strange elven temple rubbing ritual that makes Keg uncomfortable, wondering if they could fly on the rug low enough so the creature in the distance doesn't spot them. Amun and Elnaerel catch the gas cloud that used to be TK in a large sack, hoping they didn't miss any important parts. The find his pack in the grass and pull it out so it isn't left behind.

Deciding to wait out the worst effects of the hot sun here in the shade of the rocks, the group rests for about three more hours, keeping an eye on the distant form that eventually flies away. Once the effects of the potion wears away, TK suddenly appears again, his head popping through the bottom of the sack, making him look like he is wearing a burlap dress. The tall gnome thinks he hears laughing coming from his hip.

Actions?

positions:
Keg Woodwright AC1 12/13
Keyon AC4 6/6
Elnaerel AC3 8/10 0/3
The Knife AC4* 2/5
Darklin Sylvanas AC4 6/8 1/1 CL, DM, RM
Feanol AC10 4/4 1/1 CL, DM, RM
Amun AC:4 9/13

overall map:
viewtopic.php?p=366477#p366477

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#960 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

"Keyon, this doesn't sound good. Based on what I know of these things it probably has reduced your ability to assimilate information, or to use you knowledge prudently. The first you might have had some to spare, the other you were already deficient in. I'd suggest talking to Elnaerel and see if there is anything she can do for your headache. If it persists we may want to consult with some more knowledgeable mages."

Return to “Completed Missions”