[001] Dawn and departures

Marullus
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

[001] Dawn and departures

#1 Post by ffilz »

The group rises bright and early for a simple breakfast and then gathers to depart for the mountains.

Are you going to seek a guide or where would you like to seek out directions? And which goal?
Last edited by ffilz on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [001] Dawn and departures

#2 Post by jemmus »

(Substantiully edited post)
Just a reminder (because I had to remind myself), these are the rumors.
a) Ninja clan Silent Death has been hired to assassinate the governor (zuryō or daimyo).
b) Secret martial training is going in the foothills of the Hidasanmyaku mountain range.
c) Monsters are in the mountains.
(GM ffilz-- I need a figure for the cost of feeding and stabling Toshizo's horse overnight).

Toshizo arises before dawn and does bugei deep stretching, then hard calisthenics. Then a series of kenjutsu kata, adjusting the length of his strides, hops and slides to fit the kata into the inn's small room. Carefully wipes his sweat off with his little towel and then dons his very affordable but very new garments. He has trained as if going directly to war, like this every day. Toshizo smells cooked rice, hot green tea, and warmed dried mackerel. The mackerel is burning a little-- just the way he likes it. "I can't afford the fish, but since I paid for it, I'll enjoy it. The next fish might be a long way off." Packing the wooden cases with his armor and helmet and his furoshiki with his few possessions, he heads for the inn's main hall.

Meeting the older bushi, whose name he hasn't heard yet, and his new acquaintance Sumi, he says (for their hearing only), Perhaps we could travel to the training camp in the foothills, then go past them into the mountains to hunt bakemono? I don't know where the training camp is, we would have to get information. It's just a suggestion. If we prefer to investigate the assassination plot, I'll go along.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by jmacatty »

After completing his morning blade exercises, Ha joins the group. On hearing the young bushi's remarks, he replies, Hunting bakemono is a very dangerous exercise. The training camp you refer to is likely the war camp the lords of Etchu have supposedly established, to prepare for war. War is a very dangerous exercise. I have no desire to become involved in the business of Ninja. I will abide the decision of the group as to where we go, though I would discourage attempting to stop an assassination.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by jemmus »

Ah, a lords' war camp, is it? So, desu ne. I don't want to join an army yet. Remembers one of the things his dad advised him on, says, Ronin do the camp digging, chopping and erecting with the heimin. Then when a battle comes, the samurai send the heimin back to the rear, and the ronin to the front. That way they save the heimin for working the fields, and get rid of the ronin and any debts for back wages. And usually the ronin keep some part of the enemy busy for a while, and usually wound some of them. Either way, it's all for free. So I've been told.

Well, the real truth is, Bushi-san, my amount of money is very small. I need to earn some money or food soon. Perhaps to travel to Takayama? There may be work for guards or bodyguards there.
PCs

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by jmacatty »

My name has been Ha, since I picked up my first blade. Please use that name. I would prefer to at least investigate the training camp, as I wish to train in blade. War is dangerous, but danger is how one grows.Perhaps we could work as bodyguards for awhile as we find training.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by jemmus »

Ha-san, let the acquaintance begin, I respectfully ask for your help in the future. Bows from the waist. Good, then let's find out how to find the training camp. Would you like to load your armor on my horse? (Assuming Ha isn't wearing his armor and helmet). Toshizo looks around for a likely place or likely person to ask about finding a guide or information about the camp's location.
PCs

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by jmacatty »

Thank you, but I am wearing all the armor I have; I hope to find or buy some soon.

You can probably see that I have made a deliberate choice about Ha's level of verbosity and politeness. I do appreciate your advice regarding what is considered polite, and other pieces of life in Nippon

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by jemmus »

Ha's an interesting character. Toshizo is starting to understand his taciturn personality.
I hope I'm not being annoying with the Japan customs stuff. Just hoping to add to some Japan flavor, if I can.
PCs

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Faanku »

Listening passively to the two bushi exchange words, Sumi finally speaks up when the time is right. "Then, Ha-sama, Toshizo-sama, perhaps I might petition you to tolerate my presence on your journey to Hidasanmyaku? I have tarried here far longer than initially planned, and now seems as fine a time as ever to return to the road." She bows deeply to both of them, markedly lower than the difference in their stations would require as she awaits a response.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo nods and starts to say something, but stops and waits for the older ronin Ha to speak.
PCs

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#11 Post by jmacatty »

As the young Bushi wishes.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo nods to Ha and turns to Sumi. Welcome, Sumi. The Hidasanmyaku is a long mountain range. Do you have any information about where the camp is? Or do you know someone we can ask? Perhaps your associates here could help us find out?

Hidasanmyaku image https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hida_Moun ... -11-02.jpg
PCs

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Faanku »

Sumi thanks the two for allowing her to join them, smiling happily. "I had already taken the liberty of doing so, Toshizu-sama. I am not much of a guide, though I believe I could see us there from the directions I was given."

Assuming this is fine with the DM, of course.
Last edited by Faanku on Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by ffilz »

Faanku wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:25 pm Sumi thanks the two for allowing her to join them, smiling happily. "I had already taken the liberty of doing so, Toshizu-sama. I am not much of a guide, though I believe I could see us there from the directions I was given."

Assuming this is fine with the DM, of course.
Sumi doesn't yet have directions or a specific location, but does have some ideas of who to talk to, maybe even find someone who could guide you there.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Faanku »

Sumi thanks the two for allowing her to join them, smiling happily. "I know just the person to ask. I can seek them immediately."

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by jemmus »

Toshizo will follow Sumi.
PCs

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by jmacatty »

Ha nods. I will await your return with information, as I work.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by ffilz »

Sumi returns with a grizzled man, Osamu, who professes to know the mountains. He has heard the rumors too of the training camp and thinks he can lead you to the right area and then help you locate the actual camp. He shoulders a pack frame with a bedroll, some cooking gear, and a few other items. He asks if you intend to stay in inns along the way for the first few days or rough it? After a few days, you will depart the well traveled routes and have to rough it. Your first day of travel will bring you to Takayama where you can definitely provision up if you feel the need for any significant purchases.

We'll finish up plans for departure in this thread and once ready to actually travel, I will start a new thread, but I will signal such in this thread.

jmacatty
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by jmacatty »

Ha grunts I prefer to not use Inns. I need to purchase food for the road, that is all.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by jemmus »

I need to buy food as well. To the guide Osamu, Around how many days travel is it to the camp?
PCs

Return to “Marullus' Bushido (FGU)”