Action Thread 15

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 15

#61 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 9:18 a

Not sure if it were work, or the outcome of that dang fireball that kept me from updating. :)

Yosef peeks his head in an points his wand. You hear a low roar that rises to a massive explosion. Bits of the temple crack and fall, as it shakes the foundation. You then hear a yowl of pain, and a "NOOOoooooooooo! Attack, attack!" The voice now seems (if possible) to be moving away from you, even though the rat had been sitting right up against the wall.

Yosef's beautiful wand unhappily crumbles to dust in his hands.

While smoke comes from the inside of the temple, along with the smell of BBQed rat, the ten rats outside the temple come at you at a run fangs bared.

This would be round 1. I do need initiative from one of you for Van, Till and Bruard, and attack rolls (or other action declarations) from everyone. Yosef and Jeloon get to enter puree mode, so 3 attacks for Yosef and 4 attacks for Jeloon.
Fireball... good.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 16/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Till (on ground); 2- Jeloon (on ground); 3- Bruard (opp side of wall) & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 54 - Yosef (on wall); 5 - Van (on wall)
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Argennian »

Yosef sees Till move in after the rat bastard king as the beautiful Wand of Fire crumbles to dust! "Till, I he went down into a hole or passage by the throne!"

He spins around, his longsword still in his other hand, and prepares to meet the ten charging rats. "Get inside and behind us!" he calls out to Van and Bruard as he takes up position next to Jeloon and prepares to start swinging. "We will hold them at the doorway!"

Party Initiative[1d6] = 3

To Hit: Longsword [1d20+1] = 1+1 = 2 (miss), Damage: sm/med sized creatures [1d8] = 1

To Hit: Longsword [1d20+1] = 14+1 = 15 (hits AC3), Damage: sm/med sized creatures [1d8] = 5

To Hit: Longsword [1d20+1] = 8+1 = 9 (hits AC9), Damage: sm/med sized creatures [1d8] = 7
Last edited by Argennian on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#63 Post by Alethan »

Till races into the temple, running for the throne where he saw the rat king last. With the echoing voice, he's assuming the wererat is in the process of using some secret passage or tunnel, so he's looking for evidence of that.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#64 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard moves behind Yosef and into the temple (if possible). He watches as Till searches for the secret passage that the rat king may have used.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 9:18 a
Round 1

Chris sends me emails apologizing, I know he peeks in but we’ll NPC Jeloon until he’s good.

As Yosef and Jeloon whirl around to meet the rats, with Van in the second rank, as Till and Bruard bolt into the temple.

You do see, behind 2 dozen smoking dead giant rats, a rather sizzling man with a somewhat melted crown, jump off the makeshift (and charred) throne, and straight into a large hole in the floor to the north of him. He quickly disappears down that hole. A quick glance shows holes on each side of the throne. The northern hole is closer, and that is the one he jumped into.

The air is heavy with the smell of cooked flesh, but (other than some small rubble and dirt near the holes) there is nothing in this room besides the throne. There really isn’t too long for Yosef and Jeloon to take this in (with Van between them and behind) as they get attacked by a wave of giant rats. They are well placed at the doors though, and where normally they’d face about 8+ rats a piece (I know there are only 10, but just sayin’), there’ll only be room for 5 rats to attack the two of you. They’ll start climbing over one another if they win a round (IOW if all three of you miss) and then they’ll all be able to attack.

Yosef misses one rat but is able to connect on the back swing, killing it. Jeloon actually hits with her first swing, hurting the rat, but then finishes it off with the back swing. The rats are quickly replaced, as Van is able to stab forward with his magical spear, skewering and killing a third rat. The round so far goes well for our heroes. But now the rats attack!

Three rats attempt to bite Yosef, but fail miserably (one almost biting another!) But the two rats on Jeloon fare much better. She takes 4HP damage.

Yosef stabs at another rat to finish his attacks, but is unfortunately unable to connect. Jeloon on the other hand continues her well placed attacks killing two handily, splitting the second in half. There are five rats left and they seem determined to press on attacking!

Upcoming round 2. No initiative needed as Yosef and Jeloon remain in puree mode, so 3 attacks for Yosef and 4 attacks for Jeloon. I’ve made the disease rolls for Jeloon and she appears healthy, except for the HPs of damage. We'll treat what Till and Bruard do as seperate from the combat, though I'm guessing I know where they are going. :)

HPs: Jeloon - 25/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 16/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Till (on ground); 2- Jeloon (on ground); 3- Bruard (opp side of wall) & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 54 - Yosef (on wall); 5 - Van (on wall)
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#66 Post by Alethan »

As fast as his feet can take him, Till jumps down the same hole as the Rat King has entered, both short sword and dagger drawn (short sword providing light).

(Whatever! You totally didn't see that coming...)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:(Whatever! You totally didn't see that coming...)
Not at all. ;)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by rredmond »

map for you all. The double doors is where the three fighter types are, the throne and the holes are shown:
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (6.64 KiB) Viewed 1221 times

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#69 Post by ToniXX »

Can Bruard fit in the hole and follow Till? Also, does it seem that he'll be able to get back out if necessary? Or does the hole go straight down?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#70 Post by Alethan »

ToniXX wrote:Can Bruard fit in the hole and follow Till? Also, does it seem that he'll be able to get back out if necessary? Or does the hole go straight down?

Psh. Details.

:)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by rredmond »

The tunnels (at this point) are about 4' wide, but less than 3' high. Till can move along, at times needing to stoop, Bruard on the other hand will have to crawl.

From what you've seen, and heard from Melissa, these are actually big for the giant rat holes.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#72 Post by ToniXX »

Okay, Bruard will jump in and follow Till as quickly as he can, all the while grumbling about the tenacity of the fearless halfling.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Argennian »

Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 9:19 a
Round 2

As Yosef, Van and Jeloon battle the rats, Till and Bruard head into the underground passages.

Yosef attacks first with a quick two swipes of his sword. This time hitting once, hurting the rat but not killing it. Jeloon has better luck this time, hitting with both swipes of her sword, killing two rats in the process. Van with a might heave of his spear, is able to stab and kill yet another rat.

The two rats left, perhaps in desperation, or perhaps spurred on by some unknown force, both attack with a ferocity heretofore unseen. Both sink fangs, one on Yosef, and one on Jeloon. But neither do a large amount of damage (1HP each). To finish the round Yosef misses, but Jeloon is able to connect twice again, killing both her rat and the one that Yosef hurt at the beginning of the round.

Till’s moving as fast as he can, but he sees his prey quickly disappear into the distance. Bruard on the other hand is moving about half as fast on his hands and knees.

Till can tell via his infravision that the tunnel opens up ahead of him. But unfortunately he won’t be able to get to that open fighting area as he doesn’t need infravision to see the tunnel fill with rats heading toward him. It’s hard to tell how many, there’s definitely six, and maybe as many behind them.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (9.35 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
End of this melee, no more rats face Yosef and Jeloon. But, both Yosef and Jeloon need to make saving throws vs. poison.

[/b]HPs: Jeloon - 24/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 9/10; Bruard - 16/19

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#75 Post by Alethan »

Till quickly stops and performs a strategic withdrawal, shouting, "Back, back, back!" to Bruard.

He will move backwards as quickly as he can without turning his back on the rats. He hopes to draw them out to the open where they can contain them better (with help from the others).

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#76 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard quickly backtracks, by either turning around or, if necessary, crawling backwards. He attempts to get out of the hole as quickly as possible.

Is that map 10 feet per square or 5? Either way, I'll assume he's able to get out pretty quickly. Let me know if otherwise.

Once he's out, he'll say to the rest of the party we've got more coming from this hole, and Till is still down there. He'll do the best to help Till out of the hole if he can/if he needs the help.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Argennian »

Saving Throw (want to roll high!) [1d20] = 12 (needed a 13 or better)

Yosef feels a wave of relief wash over him as Jeloon finishes off the last rat but it is quickly outpaced by the burn of the giant rat's deadly venom again coursing through his veins. He looks over at Jeloon to see what her reaction will be...

ToniXX wrote:... Once he's out, he'll say to the rest of the party we've got more coming from this hole, and Till is still down there. He'll do the best to help Till out of the hole if he can/if he needs the help.
Yosef moves over to the throne as quickly as he can. "Both Jeloon and I were bit. Did Till get the rat king?"

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 9:22 a

Sorry yes, 10' square is the map. Neither Jeloon nor Yosef seem to be feeling any effects of the rats' fangs.

As Yosef, Van and Jeloon finish the rats, they hear cries from the tunnel that Bruard and Till went into.

Bruard gets out first, uncomfortably backward, but half hinders, and half helps Till get up and out of the hole.

They both seem to prepare for an onslaught which doesn't come. The giant rats seem to have retreated.

Besides still sizzling giant rat carcasses, and a charred throne, this temple now appears empty.

Not sure if I noted it before, but the tunnels aren't actually holes, but steep sloping passages for the first 10' or so, then they leveled out... then the giant rats came.

HPs: Jeloon - 24/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 9/10; Bruard - 16/19

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#79 Post by Alethan »

Till shakes his head. "Oi'm beginning to hate rats as much as I hate spiders..."

I see no option but to trudge forward. I imagine both tunnels go the same place, but not sure if we want to test that. In either case, I suspect we'll have to act sooner than later, right? Till will volunteer to go first... Unfortunately, I can't think of anything he has that will help in this case.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Till waits, hunched, both weapons drawn, staring at the opening.

"Keep an eye out for another ambush from behind..."

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#80 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard, dusting off his tunic, says I think time is of the essence here, friends. We don't want that vile beast getting away. But, us, um, larger folk will have trouble moving around down there.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”