1. Interviews (Action)

tibbius
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

1. Interviews (Action)

#1 Post by tibbius »

Once we set the scene in Current Events, I'll put some stuff here.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 1. Interviews (Action)

#2 Post by tibbius »

It's an ordinary school morning, the virus a memory two years gone, and everyone's cheerful to be in the classroom.

Then the lockdown bell goes, Principal Skinner's voice calls "this is a lockdown proceed to safety" and there's a lot of jostling as the class crowds into the supply closet. Edward grabs his baseball bat as he finds a spot next to the reinforced door, closes and locks it.

Everyone's quiet for a while, then Thomas Kelly mutters something and De'andre laughs a spluttering laugh. "Gross!" says Jamilia.

After a few more minutes the bell goes off again and the announcement is "lockdown complete, please return to normal activity."

Everyone files back out of the closet and into their seats, with the usual quiet that falls on the kids after this kind of incident.

Edward's cell phone buzzes. It's a text from Principal Skinner - "come down to office in advisory period."
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by shaidar »

Edward wonders if he'll ever get used to the lockdown drills. He texts an affirmative reply to the principal and tries to get the students engaged again, knowing that it's unlikely they'll get much done for the rest of the class.

Once the advisory period arrives he makes his way to the principals office.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by tibbius »

The secretary, Janet Matthews, seems flustered. She brings Edward into Principal Skinner's office without more than a few quick words of greeting. Then she abruptly retreats, closing the door.

Principal Skinner is in there, sitting with his hands clasped on his desk, a middle-aged black man with a wiry frame and bushy grey hair and goatee. He wears round silver wire frame glasses high on his nose. His respectably middle class blue blazer partly covers red leather suspenders and an open-collared white shirt with faint blue pinstripes.

Two other people are in there as well, a dark-haired white man in his mid 20s and an even more dark haired white woman in her early 30s. They both look searchingly at Edward when he enters.

"Mr. Compton," says Principal Skinner with his usual tenor drawl, "meet Agent Blake of the FBI" he gestures toward the man "and Agent Wells of the ATF." He nods toward the woman. "Agent Blake wanted to speak with you about ..." and unusually he's lost for words for a moment.

"Assisting us in our investigation," says the woman - Agent Wells. "Agent Blake can explain. I'll cover whatever he leaves out."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by shaidar »

Edward is caught by surprise to see the agents, mind whirling with concern...Feds! What now? Man's done nothing wrong, don't want to spoil this nang gig.... he does his best to compose himself and hide his worry.

He nods to each agent in turn. "Agents. I've only been in the country a short time, but of course I will help anyway I can. Have I done something wrong?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

"Don't worry, Mr. Compton," the male agent says reassuringly, "You aren't in any trouble at all. We are concerned, however, that one of your students might be. We'd like to make sure we can help her, and find those who might be endangering her. We have been told that she has a rapport with you... what can you tell us about Jamilia Carter?"

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by shaidar »

Edward is caught by surprise, and it shows on his face

"Jamilia? Are you sure? She's a quiet kid, but clever. She's needs to come out of her shell, and the shadow of her friends, but I can't believe she'd do anything bad. What kind of trouble are we talking about?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

"The kind of trouble that leads to us being here, Mr. Compton," Agent Blake says poignantly, the smiles. "Hopefully she hasn't done anything, and we aren't lookingfor her to get in trouble. Rather, to keep a clever kid from it by identifying the trouble she's hanging with." He pauses for emphasis. "That's where we would like your help. We expect her not to be open with police. I hope you could help talk to her -- find an entrance and then a more comfortable way for her to meet us."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by shaidar »

"I can try. It might take some time for her to trust me. You need to understand that I'm not going to just blab everything she says to me, or she won't trust me. I also need your word that if she helps you then she won't get charged with anything...assuming she's just an accessory, and I can't believe she's not"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

Agent Blake nods simply. "That can be arranged. We need to know what she's doing out in the brownfields until the early morning hours. If she can introduce you to those she's interacting with there, then you can get her out of it entirely. An adult informant is better when it is time to testify; we can of course protect you and indemnify you in that role."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by shaidar »

Edward scowls "Hey now, that's not what I said. I don't like you using my good will and bending my arm into getting involved so she isn't. I will speak to her, but that's all I'm agreeing to right now...geez, and I thought the TV shows were an exaggeration. "

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by tibbius »

"Where are you from, Mr. Compton?" interjects Agent Wells. Her tone is pleasantly curious.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by shaidar »

"I'm from London, agent Wells. I can be more specific if you like"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

"It isn't our intention to twist your arm with anything, of course," Agent Blake soothes. "We fear she is already involved with bad people doing some bad things. Nobody will make you go further than you wish to in helping her. I am just assuring we will protect you as far as you wish to help."

As Agent Wells intercedes, he shifts to a more comfortable position in his chair and lets her talk. Ingratiating isn't really his strong suit.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by tibbius »

"Ok," Agent Wells continues, "I guess you're here on some kind of ... teacher visa? J-1?"

Principal Skinner shifts in his chair. His expression is between puzzled and annoyed.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by shaidar »

Edwards scowl deepens, he seems about to say something, but pauses and takes a deep breath before continuing

"I'm going to pretend you didn't just say that, Agent Wells. I've offered to speak with Jamilia, take it or leave it, but I will not be threatened or coerced, by inference or otherwise!"

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by tibbius »

Agent Wells smiles and says nothing, just turns to look at Agent Blake.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

"Of course." he answers calmly, simply sliding an FBI business card across the desk to him. "We appreciate it."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by shaidar »

Edward takes the card from agent Blake "I don't care if you appreciate it or not. I'm not doing it for you, I'm doing it for Jamilia. I'll speak to her after her next chemistry lesson..." he looks at the principal "If there's nothing else, sir, can I return to my classroom?"

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by tibbius »

Principal Skinner looks calmly toward Edward. "If you don't mind, Mr. Compton, I'd like to speak with you a little after I see the Agents out the door. This way, please, Ms. Blake, Mr. Wells? Come along, please." He ushers the agents out of the office. "Ms. Matthews, please help the agents find their way out. Thank you." He closes the door and returns to his seat.

"Edward," he says with a sigh, "do they not have The Talk where you come from?" He adjusts one of his red suspenders.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “New Haven? (Fair Ones)”