Leaving Candlekeep > Erevan, Ostis, & Tommy

hedgeknight
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Leaving Candlekeep > Erevan, Ostis, & Tommy

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

Feng reaches deep within his shield of faith and in a few minutes is able to spare Erevan and Ostis from the realm of the dead. The monks, exhausted but yet invigorated, clasp you on the back and thank you profusely for your aid in their time of dire need.
Quinlapp is the first to greet you at the bottom of the tower. His old eyes are weepy and he gets choked up more than once as he thanks you for your help.
"You have...the never-ending gratitude of Candlekeep. Should you ever return, you will be welcomed with no price for entry!
"In fact, you are welcome to stay with us as long as you wish, with the blessing of Oghma the wise."

You heal up and recuperate in the next couple of days. You hear about other acts of bravery among the monks and adventurers who just so happened to be within the walls when the servants of Asmodeus made their move. They repelled Hobgoblins and Goblins from the walls, scuttled canoes along the coastline, and sacrificed their lives to protect monks who were raising the Great Shield. Their names, as well as those of Amari and Francis, will be chronicled and remembered forever.

A few days after defeating the acolytes and chosen of Asmodeus, Erevan, Ostis, and Tommy are ready to depart the great library of Candlekeep. Stronger and maybe a little bit wiser...well, maybe not Ostis...the trio are walked to the gate by First Reader Quinlapp.
"It certainly is a nice day for traveling," Quinlapp says. "Headed toward Baldur's Gate, yes? So, have you thought about what I told you?" Each of you think back to when Quinlapp visited you while you were healing from your wounds; to the things he told you and directions he gave:

Erevan:
In the Outer City you will find a community of Gnomes called Whitkeep. Go to the hostel and ask for Ardryn Deagle. Ardryn is an inventor...and unless I miss my mark, you may be able to find the answers you seek. Show him the golden songbird and ask him of its origin. And good luck, my friend.

Ostis:
Good luck on your adventure and don't forget what I've told you: to control the beast without, you must first control the beast within. I've watched you these past few days and I've noticed you are becoming more...feral...should I say? There is someone in the Lower City would may be able to help you. Her name is Aurayaun. She and her lover run an inn called Blade and Stars. Please tell her I sent you.

Tommy:
When you showed the stolen stone to Quinlapp, the First Reader, he examined the stone but refused to touch it. He told you "this stone has some type of...elemental power; that is not to say it is evil, but rather the influence it can have on one over time could result in unscrupulous acts. I would be very careful with this stone, my friend. Take it with you as you go, and should you venture back to Baldur's Gate, you may want to visit a mage named Rivalen Blackhand. He runs a shop called Sorcerous Sundries in the Lower City. Tell him I sent you. He may have, or know where to get, information on this strange stone. Be safe, my friend."
Pushing those thoughts to the back of your mind, you offer your goodbyes to the First Reader and venture out onto the Way of the Lion, heading east toward the main road that will eventually lead you to Baldur's Gate. The sky is partly cloudy this morning, as are most mornings in this part of the Realms, and you figure it's likely to rain on you before too long. The prospect of rain does not dampen your mood because you are eager to be traveling once again.
The Dwarven trio of Bearghus, Feng, and Sindri had left the day before...on a ship bound for the Moonshae Isles. Your heads are still fuzzy from the amount of ale you drank two nights ago in celebration of their departure. You wished them well, and will certainly miss them. After all, Erevan and Tommy owe their lives to Feng.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Happy New Year fellers! This is the first "official" group post for the game...and even though it only focuses on three of you, I will get the rest involved very soon. For now, only Mike, Octavio & Will should post in this thread.
Winter is coming...
Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Leaving Candlekeep > Erevan, Ostis, & Tommy

#2 Post by Belkregos »

Tommy took advantage of his stay at the keep, diving fully in to the study of secret knowledge and trying to understand the hidden meaning of thigs, he never had an opportunity or luxury like this, his knowledge was always practical and was eager to continue learning, specially about the carved stone that seem to unleash so many events in his life, he was grateful for his time in candlekeep but he was eager to get back on the road and travel again, Baldur's gate would be the first stop

he said his goodbyes the night before to the trio of dwarves he'd befriended and hopped to see again and to the sages of candlekeep, specially Quinlapp and was glad his friends Erevan and Ostis were headed to the same place

as they start on their travel he converses with Erevan and Ostis
im glad we are traveling together, i've been to Baldur's gate a few times before when i was part of a traveling caravan, its a rough city and its good to have friends you know have your back in such a place
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!
alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#3 Post by alchemy »

Good luck on your adventure and don't forget what I've told you: to control the beast without, you must first control the beast within. I've watched you these past few days and I've noticed you are becoming more...feral...should I say? There is someone in the Lower City would may be able to help you. Her name is Aurayaun. She and her lover run an inn called Blade and Stars. Please tell her I sent you.

Healed up, Ostis finds himself restless and a bit belligerent after several days of nothing but broth and healing concoctions. It's not that he didn't appreciate the monks. To be honest, he wasnt quite sure what was going on in his head. As big as he is, the others are starting to realize that this man/boy is little more than a teenager who happens to know his way around his great axe.

When the Archer and Tommy agree to travel together, Ostis invited himself as well. The others note that he's a bit more surly, stand offish, though he still laughs at rough jokes, and listens to the other's wisdom. When they finally reach Baldurs Gate, he said, "I go. Meet someone at tavern called...mm, what is the name...mm...The Blade and Stars! That's right! Go to find Aurayaun. She help me, I think...I'm not sure how she help, that's what Quin Monk said."
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by hedgeknight »

OOC: I'm guessing the three of you will have to travel together at least until you reach the Basilisk Gate...which is a long way from where you will cross the river in Rivington. Of course, you do as you wish...it's just a suggestion. :mrgreen:
Winter is coming...
Tell
Guide
Guide

#5 Post by Tell »

Can I ask what time of year you leave Candlekeep?
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by hedgeknight »

Tell wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:45 pmCan I ask what time of year you leave Candlekeep?
It's the year 1491 DR, the Year of the Scarlet Witch
Winter is coming...
alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#7 Post by alchemy »

OOC: I'm guessing the three of you will have to travel together at least until you reach the Basilisk Gate...which is a long way from where you will cross the river in Rivington. Of course, you do as you wish...it's just a suggestion.
Details, details. I am a barbarian. I swing a big axe. I leave the rest for the accountants.
Will89
Runner
Runner

#8 Post by Will89 »

Erevan spends the time healing in Candlekeep to reflect on his past life and absorb every bit of knowledge he can from Quinlapp and the other acolytes. Drinking more than his fair share of ale he waves farewell to his dwarven friends and wished them all well. The next day he would sit in silence and remember those that had fallen. His old home seemed so far away, and yet so close he could still smell the morning dew fresh in the air, hear the calls of the birds chirping pleasantly in response to the crimson glow of each dawn. Clutching the golden songbird in his hand, he smiled to himself and whispered to the empty room, "You will not be forgotten. Not as long as I still draw breath."

He then joins his comrades both Ostis and Tommy, prepared to set off. Finally, he had a direction and a name! Such a glorious achievement after all these years. It has been an honor to stand by your sides. Though I have never traveled to Baldur's Gate I grow excited for what I seek lies within its walls. A swift and bountiful journey for all of us! Once they depart, he mostly stays quiet and focused; often observing the land and examining any plant or wildlife he comes across. He speaks of the high forest occasionally when resting or mealtime, a sad smile smile splayed across his face as he recalls its sacred beauty.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by hedgeknight »

The Year 1491 DR, 3rd of Marpenoth (October), Morning, Cool & Windy...

After several days on the road, the trio of heroes from Candlekeep are eager to reach their destination, Baldur's Gate. For the past couple of days, they have been traveling the Coast Way...and about 50 yards or so ahead of them is someone riding a pony and pulling a mule. They haven't tried to get closer, feeling it wiser to keep to themselves. But now, when the wind shifts, they can smell the river and the stench of what can only be a large city.
Knowing they are close spurs them onward...and soon, in the distance they see the river city of Baldur's Gate nestled in a bend of the river and butted against the prominent Dusthawk Hill on its eastern side.
The large bridge known as Wyrm's Crossing allows traffic from the south side of the Chionthar River to cross over to the north side and make its way along to the city proper.
The small Outer City community of Rivington is the first to greet them...

"I go." Ostis suddenly says. "Meet someone at tavern called...mm, what is the name...mm...The Blade and Stars! That's right! Go to find Aurayaun. She help me, I think...I'm not sure how she help, that's what Quin Monk said."
Tommy holds up a furred paw/hand. "I've been to Baldur's gate a few times before when i was part of a traveling caravan, its a rough city and its good to have friends you know have your back in such a place."
Erevan has been quiet and some distant for the better part of the trip, and even now he is unsure what to say...
Attachments
Rivington Outer City.png
Rivington Outer City.png (938.05 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
Winter is coming...
Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Belkregos »

we'll get there Ostis, im sure Quip also told you to be a bit patient

Tommy nods to Erevan trying to see if he agrees

better we stick together until we get our bearings, this city is not as friendly as candle keep
by the way best keep an eye on you coin purse also

getting ready to go in to the city, he tucks his coin purse under his belt inside his underpants and keeps alert, growing up as an urchin city to city he knows they would be prime targets for a quick cut purse, as he walks he tries to look casual but alert

a few rolls, he keeps an eye for both possible threats and opportunities ;)
Perception:[1d20+4] = 9+4 = 13 ; Investigation:[1d20+3] = 15+3 = 18 ; Insight: [1d20+4] = 6+4 = 10
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!
Will89
Runner
Runner

#11 Post by Will89 »

He listens to Ostis and to Tommy's remark, returning a nod of understanding at the tabaxi.
"Perhaps some patience would serve us well. I have not been to Baldur's Gate before but have seen enough cities to get the idea. Sticking together would be wise."
Rivington community, he thinks while glancing around the outer city. Whitkeep must be here somwhere. Not wanting to abandon his friends just yet and anxious to see the city, he follows alongside Tommy and Ostis for now.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by hedgeknight »

The three companions head toward the city, following behind the figure just a few yards ahead of them. As they get closer to Rivington, they see the figure stop. Then, they hear a voice with a deep growl holler: "Gatekeeper! Host of Rivington! I bid you allow entrance to an old woman to the city! I have trade to make with the merchantage of your fair city!"

Nothing happens for a few seconds, then two men walk out: one is an older fellow who walks with a short staff and limps slightly; the other wears ringmail over boiled leather and carries a spear along with a hand-axe and a long knife at his belt.
The older fellow waves and says, "Enter and find rest from your journey. Rivington is open to any who come to trade."
Winter is coming...
Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Belkregos »

Tommy hears the exchange ahead and slows to answer any questions the guards may have, paying attention to their body language he starts talking, keeps a sharp eye to his surroundings

goood'ay officers, we just need to resupply and rest for a few days, please, if there is any documentation needed we would appreciate directions to follow city ordinance otherwise if you don't mind

he nods to his companions
we'll continue on, we have shopping to do and need to find a place to stay
if allowed continues towards the city proper

Persuasion:[1d20+6] = 16+6 = 22 ; Insight: [1d20+4] = 7+4 = 11 ; Perception: [1d20+4] = 14+4 = 18
alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by alchemy »

Ostis smiles at the gate guards. It looks more like a sneer, or even a scowl. But he does nod agreeably.
Will89
Runner
Runner

#15 Post by Will89 »

Erevan nods slowly along with Ostis at Tommy's words, still studying the the guards in front of them and anxious to pass through.
alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#16 Post by alchemy »

Where's Blade and Star?
Ostis blurts out.
Meeting someone there!
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by hedgeknight »

The Year 1491 DR, 3rd of Marpenoth (October), Morning, Cool & Windy...Baldur's Gate: Outer City of Rivington
Belkregos wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:32 am goood'ay officers, we just need to resupply and rest for a few days, please, if there is any documentation needed we would appreciate directions to follow city ordinance otherwise if you don't mind
Persuasion:[1d20+6] = 16+6 = 22 ; Insight: [1d20+4] = 7+4 = 11 ; Perception: [1d20+4] = 14+4 = 18
Otto.png
Otto.png (271.31 KiB) Viewed 933 times
The older gentleman turns from the non-responsive hag, to address the trio from Candlekeep.
"Well now, first time in Baldur's Gate, I presume? No problem. Just follow this road and you will come to the bridge, or Wyrm's Crossing as it is known, and from there look for Danthalon's Dancing Axe. It is a place of respite and from there, you will find your way along the road through the other towns and into the city proper. And should you require anything, just ask for me; my name is Otto Shramm."

"Just watch yer purse...and yer back," growls the man standing with the speaker. He has a hard look about him, and his eyes are continually moving, taking it everything as if on constant vigilance. There are thin veins in his cheeks and he has the look of one who enjoys a good drink. But too, he has the look of a killer.
Varn.jpg
Varn.jpg (47.34 KiB) Viewed 933 times
The man absently twirls his moustache and gives Erevan a close look. "Your face...looks familiar to me. And you have the stance of a soldier. Have we met? I am Varn."

Tommy:
You get a feeling of being watched; and your senses pick out two men in the shadows of the buildings closest to you. One is a large man...the other smaller and smells of...cheese.
"Where's Blade and Star? Meeting someone there!" Ostis blurts out.
Varn snorts and turns his gaze from the archer to the barbarian.
But the speaker, Otto, nods and smiles. "The Blade and Stars? Well now, that, my friend, is in the Lower City in the Eastway neighborhood; just a block or two from the Basilisk Gate. If you follow this road through the Outer City communities, you will come to the gate and someone there can help you find the place you seek."
Winter is coming...
alchemy
Tracker
Tracker

#18 Post by alchemy »

Putting less thought to action, Ostis looks at his companions and says, We go now?
Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Belkregos »

Tommy smiles as the older man gives them directions
Otto Shramm, i'll be sure to remember the name and will take Varn's advice to heart
he nods with a smile of gratitude as he continues walking thinking the less time they spend close to the guards the less chance they can get in trouble, pats Ostis shoulder
yes, Ostis, we go now

To Erevan
tommy reaches out with his mind to communicate with Erevan, telepathically transmitting a feeling/idea of caution be alert, seems more than the city guard is watching for new comers, in the shadowed building a pair of locals watching
as he walks he throws his cloak over his shoulder making his weapon visible and more easily accessible if needed to drawn quickly

Awakened MindPHB, pg. 110
You can telepathically speak to any creature you can see within 30 ft. of you if it understands at least one language.
Will89
Runner
Runner

#20 Post by Will89 »

Well met Otis, your guidance is much appreciated. Do you know where I might find Whitkeep? If the name rings a bell..

Looking over to the hard man twirling his moustache he studies him and gives a nod. Does this man look familiar? He thought back to his previous years in Silverymoon and couldn't remember. Perhaps years ago we may have sir, i'm certainly no stranger to combat and from the looks of it neither are you. He forces a smile at the man as Tommy's words fill his head. Caught off guard by the abrupt message he rests his right hand on the short short sheathed by his side. Hmm. Best be getting on then. Without raising suspicion he will continue to follow his comrades on the path.

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”