Group Backstory Development

DexterWard
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Group Backstory Development

#61 Post by Rex »

Not sure how to tell, I am not great with computers. It looks like Brett converted the PDF to a JPG somehow, if I could figure out how to do that I could post it most likely.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Rex »

I think I figured out a way to post it. I didn't bother with the second sheet, there isn't much on it at this point.
Attachments
Sam1.PNG
Sam1.PNG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 941 times

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#63 Post by DexterWard »

Is anyone considering or already using (other than Marullus) the Optional Rule: Experienced Investigators from the Investigator's Handbook (pg 61)?

I think that option would be good for this group/campaign, and the fact that we are using the Pulp rules.

Thoughts?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Rex »

I didn't use it. Just read it and I am fine with it, I would add either the War Experience package or the Mythos Experience package. More likely the War. I have the weakest connection to the group as far as fitting in so the MEP might strengthen it but the WEP fits him better. I did boost his occult some so his connection will most likely be there, just not sure how yet.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#65 Post by DexterWard »

Rex wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:35 pm I didn't use it. Just read it and I am fine with it, I would add either the War Experience package or the Mythos Experience package. More likely the War. I have the weakest connection to the group as far as fitting in so the MEP might strengthen it but the WEP fits him better. I did boost his occult some so his connection will most likely be there, just not sure how yet.
I think WEP would be a great option!

@Everyone:
Could I ask folks to provide the following info on their characters please?
  • Archetype
  • Occupation
  • Psychic Ability (if using)
  • Other Skills (based on your background/other) - This is optional
  • Pulp Talents
  • Optional Rule: Experienced Investigators option
  • Any other Optional Package you may have chosen in the Investigator's handbook or Pulp guide

Also: On Occult Skill
We will be using the Occult skill for Folk and other Non-Mythos Magiks:
  • Folk & Occult (watered down spells) do not fall under the Mythos Magic realm and will use the Occult skill rather than the Mythos skill
  • I will most likely add additional (watered down) spells as we go along
  • These spells can be found in tomes, old books, papers, scrolls, diaries, etc.
  • Folk and Occult will have their own descriptions and rules (house rules, etc)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Rex »

Heading to work shortly, I will post the info tonight when I get home. Excellent idea, it lets me see if I missed something.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Marullus »

DexterWard wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:24 pm Is anyone considering or already using (other than Marullus) the Optional Rule: Experienced Investigators from the Investigator's Handbook (pg 61)?

I think that option would be good for this group/campaign, and the fact that we are using the Pulp rules.

Thoughts?
Sorry for potentially causing confusion - I did not use the Optional Rule: Experienced Investigators, I just made a standard Medium Pulp Investigator. I was pointing out the Mythos Knowledge Pulp Talent and the Mythos Experience Package are basically the same thing. I added a Mania to Dr. Twaddle for fun and backstory, not because I was applying the Experience Package (a Phobia/Mania is the main difference).

My thoughts on using them:
  • War, Police, Organized Crime, and Medical Experience don't particularly jive with any characters posted so far. If someone wants to build to one of them, I don't have any objection. If nobody is using them, I don't think they're needed.
  • I spent my Pulp Talent to get the Mythos Knowledge, equivelent to the expereince package.
  • If we're using both Experience Packages AND Pulp Talents, I might take both (giving a Mythos score of 1d10+15 instead of a flat 10), or I might use the Experience Package for it and broaden with a different Pulp Talent, such as Arcane Insight or Photographic Memory.
Edit:
Would Chip the Reporter want to be a Police package and have connections there?
Does anyone want to pick up a Doctor template since we're looking for medical advice on this first case?
Last edited by Marullus on Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Marullus »

As currently built:

Dr. Rupert Twaddle
Archetype: Dreamer
Psychic Ability (if using): None.
Other Skills (based on your background/other) - This is optional: History 95, Occult 95, Library Use 95, English 90, Egyptian 70, Spot Hidden 70, Archaeology 60, Listen 60, Appraise 50, Charm 50, First Aid 50, Dodge 40, Fighting 33, Enochian 30, Credit Rating 10, Cthulhu Mythos 10 (all others at default values)
Pulp Talents: Mythos Knowledge, Strong Willed
Optional Rule: Experienced Investigators option: None
Any other Optional Package you may have chosen in the Investigator's handbook or Pulp guide: None
Phobia/Mania: Bibliomania
Last edited by Marullus on Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#69 Post by DexterWard »

Marullus wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:12 pm
Sorry for potentially causing confusion - I did not use the Optional Rule: Experienced Investigators, I just made a standard Medium Pulp Investigator. I was pointing out the Mythos Knowledge Pulp Talent and the Mythos Experience Package are basically the same thing. I added a Mania to Dr. Twaddle for fun and backstory, not because I was applying the Experience Package (a Phobia/Mania is the main difference).

My thoughts on using them:
  • War, Police, Organized Crime, and Medical Experience don't particularly jive with any characters posted so far. If someone wants to build to one of them, I don't have any objection. If nobody is using them, I don't think they're needed.
  • I spent my Pulp Talent to get the Mythos Knowledge, equivalent to the experience package.
  • If we're using both Experience Packages AND Pulp Talents, I might take both (giving a Mythos score of 1d10+15 instead of a flat 10), or I might use the Experience Package for it and broaden with a different Pulp Talent, such as Arcane Insight or Photographic Memory.
Dagnabbit! Thanks Marullus, I forgot to add the Phobias and Manias to the list. I love those!
NOTE: If anyone wants to utilize a Phonia, Mania, Compulsion, Amnesia, or Paranoia let me know and I will provide an excerpt from the Keeper's Rulebook.

No worries Marullus..I actually like the options in the Inv. Handbook as well as those in Pulp.
The Investigator Handbook "Mythos Experience package" looks more detailed than the "Mythos Knowledge Pulp Talent."
They are similar but also have differences.

I would say either choose 2 Pulp Talents, or 1 Pulp Talent (Pulp Cthulhu) and 1 Experience Package (Investigators HB).
NOTE: Investigators in Pulp (called Heroes in Pulp) are "Tougher" and "More Capable" heroes "ready to take on the villainous machinations of the Cthulhu Mythos!"
So a little tweak like this shouldn't create an imbalance.

Additionally - I really think a bit of experience for the Investigators (Heroes) is appropriate for this campaign...Thoughts?

For the most part I plan to focus on the roleplaying aspects for this campaign, but want to give players options to tweak their characters to their liking.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Grognardsw »

I’m going to stick with what I have, it’s getting too confusing. We should all post PC sheets in The Investigators thread.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#71 Post by DexterWard »

I want to be clear...I don't expect players to go to any great lengths on their character profiles...But, I do want to give plenty of options to those players who want them.

Each player should develop their character to a level that suits their style/preference. Please don't kill yourself on character creation. Ultimately the role-playing will be our primary focus. And any differences in character profiles won't/shouldn't make that big of a difference.

Just jump into the Ptolemy's Scriptorium thread and start interacting. :D

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#72 Post by DexterWard »

Grognardsw wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:49 am I’m going to stick with what I have, it’s getting too confusing. We should all post PC sheets in The Investigators thread.
You're good Grognardsw..No worries. Just jump in and do some role-playing :D

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Rex »

Sam (Sam Shannon Morton)
Archetype: Steadfast
Psychic Ability (if using): None.
Other Skills (based on your background/other) - Occult 19
Pulp Talents: Resilient and Lucky
Any other Optional Package you may have chosen in the Investigator's handbook or Pulp guide: None
Phobia/Mania: None
Notes: Served 12 years in the FFL and is now officially retired, working odd jobs mostly as a bodyguard/muscle for the wealthy

I am going to take the War Exp Package and drop the Resilient talent. I think it fits Sam very well. Just need to figure out how to modify the sheet, or I may just start over, It is possible that his Occult score above could change a bit. I will re-post once done.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Bluehorse »

Wayne:

Archetype: Grease Monkey
Psychic Ability: Huh?
Other Skills: Electrical Repair, Rifles/shotguns, first aid, Mechanical Repair, Drive Car.
Pulp Talents: Wierd Science, Handy
Phobia/Mania: None
Notes: Heavily involved in the dirt track racing scene. He is good and it is a good extension of his mechanical skills. He is up to win some real money soon at Nationals just outside Boston. May or may not be involved in Bootlegging back home.

Margery:

Archetype: Mystic
Psychic Ability: Clairvoyance
Other Skills: Charm, Credit Rating, Language, Persuade, Psychoanalysis, Read Lips, Clairvoyance
Pulp Talents: Quick Study, Psychic Power
Phobia/Mania: Worms
Notes: She is a part of the social elite in Boston and the surrounding area with a long reach and deep pockets. She is also a well documented head of a social club (cult) that meats for fortune telling and seances. Wheelchair-Bound, she is not one to venture out often due to her mobility restrictions, but she keeps a finger on the pulse of everything in the city.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Grognardsw »

Howard Thurston
Archetype: mystic
Psychic Ability (if using): medium.
Other Skills (based on your background/other) - Sleight of Hand, etc. See character sheet.
Pulp Talents: Psychic Power, Master of Disguise

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Rex »

Sam Sheet.PNG
Sam Sheet.PNG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 817 times
Updated
Last edited by Rex on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#77 Post by DexterWard »

I've compiled everyone's Investigator stats into a spreadsheet (see below). I will use this most of the time for adjudicating actions in gameplay. Looks like most everyone is good to go. I PM'd a few of you an a few items. I also completed the Manual CharGen info in the CharGen thread.

@Marullus: I will shoot you a PM later today :)

I should be able to make another Scenario post later today/tonight.

Keeper Investigator Tracker Sheet
Last edited by DexterWard on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Urson »

Folks: I'm sorry, but I'm going to drop out of this game. As I already told our gracious Keeper- it's a very cool idea, but somehow I can't get my teeth into it. Have a great time!
FA FO

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Marullus »

Awww... we'll miss you, Bob! I've really appreciated your input so far.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#80 Post by DexterWard »

Thank you Urson. Appreciate you letting us know. I was looking forward to seeing how you played your Investigator. Sorry to see you go. We all know how it goes sometimes.

I will open up a new LFP post later tonight...In the middle of a COVID firedrill presently :shock:

Return to “In Dark Recesses (Pulp Cthulhu (CoC 7th ed.))”