3. Bittercreek to Troll Bridge (action)

tibbius
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

3. Bittercreek to Troll Bridge (action)

#1 Post by tibbius »

The mere few dozen miles through the rugged hills and forests stretch into a week of travel.

Your provisions run out on the sixth day.

You're too tired for hygiene. Even Sealgair gives herself only a few perfunctory licks before curling down for a long night's nap.

You barely have vigor to take watches and keep the fire going through the night. Wolves prowl and converse among the trees outside the fire's light. Foxes add their snappy opinions - from a safe distance. Owls and bats occasionally swoop through.

You're not entirely sure where you are.

Hangry and unpleasantly damp in the blowing mist of rain that began on day five and shows no signs of ceasing, on day eight you step out of the trees on a long down slope and see ahead of you the mining camp called Bittercreek (for the salty waters of its namesake). To your left - northward - a gouging cut has been made into the base of the hill. Deep in there, so you've heard, the dwarves (mostly dwarves - there may be other heritages) toil to break lumps of salt away from the crumbly crystalline walls.

Food and drink would be nice. For sure there's a tavern in town. Some personal grooming also would be good - Grax's beard and hair, Wraith and Elzarune's hair, and Sealgair's fur all are beyond your own abilities to fix. You've heard rumors that Bittercreek has a salon and day spa run by an elf named Jolene.
Last edited by tibbius on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Squid
Tracker
Tracker

Re: 3. Bittercreek (action)

#2 Post by Squid »

Wraith

Exhausted, Wraith brushes soggy hair out of his face so he can take in the view of Bittercreek. "Thankfully we've found some civilization! I propose we visit Jolene to get cleaned up, then hit the tavern for some nourishment. The barkeep will likely kick us out if we show up in our current state."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by tibbius »

Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax "Civilization yeh. Means there's ale ta be had. An I suppose do somethin' about me beard an hair maybe clean the pits got a wee bit o' a funk then again we all kinda do."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

"OK, I guess we can clean up first, I didn't think it was that bad though, just a bit of dirt."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by tibbius »

You slog through the mud between sparse buildings, looking for Jolene's. As you do so, you notice an unusually large number of dwarves and humans out in the rainy streets, talking loudly. In the hubbub you hear words like "working hours" and "fair pay" and "working folk" and "natural rights." It seems like most of the town might be out on the street, instead of in the mines.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Squid
Tracker
Tracker

#7 Post by Squid »

Wraith

His curious nature getting the best of him, Wraith taps the nearest local on the shoulder, "Excuse me, is there an issue in the mines?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

Sealgair listens in as Wrath talks to the miners.

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax looks for the nearest dwarf and asks "What's goin' on ere eh?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by tibbius »

You all converge on one particularly vociferous dwarf who is dressed in salt-stained clothing of rough woven cloth. He just about glares at you as he answers Grax's question: "The damned Eight Families have a throat-grip on us, we're all in debt to the factor for our rent and food. Under the charter they've staked claims to our persons for the debts, we can't leave without being marked as outlaws. We're trying to organize a strike."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

tibbius wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:50 pm You all converge on one particularly vociferous dwarf who is dressed in salt-stained clothing of rough woven cloth. He just about glares at you as he answers Grax's question: "The damned Eight Families have a throat-grip on us, we're all in debt to the factor for our rent and food. Under the charter they've staked claims to our persons for the debts, we can't leave without being marked as outlaws. We're trying to organize a strike."
Grax "Damn. Ain't right. Anythin' we can do ta help?"

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by tibbius »

"You could help us keep the scabs outta the mine. They in there now, but they gotta come out some time."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

"This is going to get ugly, quick like."

Squid
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by Squid »

Wraith

"I agree Selgair. I think we'd be just a little outnumbered if we were to try and handle it alone."

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax nods his head agreeing with what Sealgair and Wraith are saying. "Hmm well maybe we can find another way ta help. Who's in charge of tha Eight Families an where might we find em?" he says to the fellow dwarf.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by tibbius »

"I can't say anyone's really in charge. It's more like the families all are rivals to each other. Each has a gallery or two inside the mines, and they have a council that arranges cooperation with the production and the weighing and the selling of the salt. But ... maybe Bertram Snazzle? He's a hefty old goblin, you can see his mansion down across the creek there." The dwarf gestures toward a building barely visible through the blowing drizzle. It looks like a very small castle complete with turrets. "Got some delusions of grandeur, he does."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Squid
Tracker
Tracker

#17 Post by Squid »

Wraith

What do you guys think? Should we get some nourishment, make ourselves presentable, then pay Mr. Snazzle a visit? I'm not entirely sure what we'll be able to do, but perhaps we'll learn more about the situation.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

"Cleaning up seems a good idea for sure."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by tibbius »

The salt-stained dwarf clears his throat. "Why ... um, what about we meet in the Spoon and Cup, over there, once you've gotten yourselves tidy? Jolene's is down that way -" he gracefully points along the rain-soaked muddy street - "I'm sure you've heard of her, best in the kingdom. Got the prize to prove it!" He pats his neatly-silver-beaded braided beard. "She did this for me," he adds with a smile. Then with a frown he mutters "company credit." He raises a hand in salute. "I'll see you in the Spoon and Cup." He walks away in that direction, away from Jolene's.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

Sealgair works her way down to Jolene's.

Return to “Traversing Tiny Dungeons (Tiny Dungeon)”