Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 5

atpollard
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 5

#21 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

"The Bank?" He pauses to think things over. "Is this all an elaborate robbery? Or is there something unusual in the bank?"

"We need to talk to someone about Edmund's history. Someone who's been here a while."

"And you say that the hotel is employing murderers? Dammit. We need some proof before we can just accost the man and his henchmen."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Zhym »

Mercutio 'Mac' Routledge relays what happened when he retrieved his belongings. He's still a bit confused by all that's going on, most of which seems to involve intrigues and events that occurred long before he arrived here, but he can at least describe the man who had attacked him. What it means...well, hopefully others can deduce that.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Day 5: Shift 2: 8 Bells

#23 Post by atpollard »

Jacques Bonnet, Remy Hernandez, Mercutio Routledge, Samuel Linkletter, Josephine Baxter-Smith (Green Grape)
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 5: Shift 2: 8 Bells [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Upon discovering that her business is involved in the current crime spree, Gretchen insists on searching the sleeping quarters of Caela. " Edmund may own this building at the moment, and he may be able to pressure me into renting to a tenant of his choosing, but the lease still places the entire property under MY control to inspect any part of it whenever I see fit. I see fit to inspect the apartment of my only tenant right now!"

A search or Caela’s room revealed that she was a woman of many trades.
Among her belongings was a leather wrap containing various tools for fine mechanical work. (Mercutio estimates they are the tools of a professional locksmith for fabricating duplicate keys).
Caela had a collection of small jars that appeared to belong to an Herbalist or an Apothecary. (Linkletter examined the jars and found that most contained substance with sedative or toxic properties.)
Caela had several well-made knives and far more sheathes than blades. (Remy identified the various sheathes as used to conceal small blades beneath clothing to avoid detection and one spring-loaded sheath that allowed a knife to be instantly drawn from a wrist sheath. Remy once killed a man from a Brotherhood of Assassins that used such a sheath.) Upon finding the sheath, Remy followed a hunch and discovered one pair of boots had small, nearly invisible blades protruding slightly past the toes … just like the man with the spring-loaded sheath.
Josephine located a small box containing 4000 Gold Credits.
Jacques read a hand written note that Gretchen found hidden in a crack near the mantle: “To provide services as needed. Paid the sum of 4000 Credits and to be paid an equal amount upon completion, plus expenses.” The note is signed with two sets of initials, “CM” and “EB”.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Day 5: Shift 2: 1 Bell

#24 Post by atpollard »

Jacques Bonnet, Remy Hernandez, Mercutio Routledge, Samuel Linkletter, Josephine Baxter-Smith (Green Grape)
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 5: Shift 2: 1 Bell [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Linkletter pays a visit to his chess partner, Mayor Jacob Winston, to learn more about what past “mischief” Edwin had been up to. "Land is wealth," Jacob explained "and it is also power. Power over the lives of the people that live and work and depend on the buildings and land that you own. For a while, Edwin Belsey started to buy up all of the properties in Company Town. Sort of looked like he planned on setting up his own little fief. But there is no need to worry about that. Since Lord Baldry arrived with his ‘law and order’ policy, Edwin’s been behaving himself."

As Linkletter departed the Mayor’s house, he noticed Jim, the town drunk, passed out by the Mayor’s window. Doc didn’t remember seeing Jim anywhere around when he arrived, but there he is now … within listening distance of the conversation. Thinking back, Doc can remember seeing Jim “conveniently” sleeping near a lor of important windows around town, and every time there was an angry crowd, Jim always seemed to be one of the loudest voices in the crowd.

Why is the town drunk so set against a bar that serves inexpensive beer?
Why is the town drunk so interested in what the group is up to?

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Day 5: Shift 2: 2 Bells

#25 Post by atpollard »

Jacques Bonnet, Remy Hernandez, Mercutio Routledge, Samuel Linkletter, Josephine Baxter-Smith (Home #2)
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 5: Shift 2: 2 Bells [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

The group returned to their home to plan their next move. Having been awake for 24 hours, a brief rest might be the next move.

[if you rest]
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 5: Shift 3: 1 Bell [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

The group wakes up refreshed.

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#26 Post by AsenRG »

"The question is now, who is CM? Edwin is EB", Remy says.
"And I want to talk with Caela now. We should ask her, I guess. I have a way of talking to people who use such blades that always makes them talkative".

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Urson »

Jo
Jo has stayed quiet, not feeling she had much to add. Perhaps Caela's last name begins with M? She's clearly much more than she seems.
She winces at Remy's casual implication of torturing the woman. Machines are so much easier to make sense of...
FA FO

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#28 Post by AsenRG »

"Well, that would mean it's even more imperative to talk with her, wouldn't it?", Remy replied. "If it's her, we have half of them already. If it's not, she'd probably know who they are."
He himself had no idea that someone expected him to start by torturing anyone, or he would have objected strenuously. What he had in mind was more akin the lines of "talking at swordpoint".

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by ffilz »

Linkletter is all in favor of having a conversation with Caela from a position of strength. With his doctor's oath, he would shy away from actual harm, but making it clear we have the upper hand and are willing to use force if needed to make things right is totally within reason.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Urson »

Jo
Then, we should go see her at The Grog. Come along, gentlemen. Jo heads for the door.
FA FO

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by atpollard »

Jacques Bonnet, Remy Hernandez, Mercutio Routledge, Samuel Linkletter, Josephine Baxter-Smith (Grogg and Tankard)

The group immediately returned to the Grogg and Tankard, collecting the bottles from the Green Grape to return to Gottard. Gottard was delighted to see you as you entered with his stolen wine, but the party quickly handed off the bottles to Gottard and his staff and followed after a determined Remy as he never halted in his quest for the kitchen and his prey.

Remy stepped through the door into the kitchen and instantly spotted her chopping vegetables at a table. “Never play poker with this woman” he thought to himself as she continued to chop with no visible tell that she had even noticed you enter. Remy smiled inwardly. She was good, but Remy was a master. Everyone had reacted in some small way, so her very lack of a reaction was her tell. Only a great deal of training would overcome natural instinct. If she was a cook, then Remy was a butler.

The eyes cannot be disguised. One can learn not to stare, but it is impossible to see without looking. She WAS watching Remy and she knew who you were. Yet she just kept on chopping as if she had not a care in the world.

Does Remy speak or draw his blade?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

He enters with the grace and self-assurance befitting his station. "Ah. There you are. Caela, is it? We'd like to have a moment of your time." He smiles and motions for Caela to come with him.

His eyes stay on her, hoping to properly cow the cook.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Urson »

Jo
Jo hangs back a step or two, letting Remy handle things for the moment.
FA FO

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#34 Post by atpollard »

so much for waiting for Remy to respond before I post. :)
Jacques entered, "Ah. There you are. Caela, is it? We'd like to have a moment of your time.", he smiled and motioned for Caela to come with him.

In a blur of motion almost faster than the eye could see, Caela stopped chopping and the knife was stabbed point first into the chopping block. She was looking directly at you and smiling sweetly but insincerely "I would LOVE to chat, but this is such a busy time in the kitchen. Couldn't we meet after the lunch rush. Perhaps in a few hours ... around 6 bells?" Caela kept the table between the two of you, although the exit from the kitchen was behind you.

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#35 Post by AsenRG »

Remy slowly pulled a long, long blade.
"No delays, no how", he said evenly, falling - it's always a fall - in the practiced stance of an warrior.
Which could be anything, but now he was using a formal one - more to indicate intent, than because it mattered.
"This ends now. And I'm sorry, but putting it clearly: you don't stand a chance. Give me that knife, and the secret ones, or much as I'm loathe to use this blade against a woman...I'll take them."
If she attacks, Remy is going to parry and attack himself. If not, he attacks, still ready to parry: with simultaneous initiative, it's the same - like IRL.
Also, his attack is going to be replaced by a Disarm.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

His voice has a bit more steel to it now that Remy has shown his hand. "I must insist my dear. It is of grave importance, but there is no need for conflict." He narrows his eyes and lowers his hands. "Come along now."

His thoughts race and he wants to reach for his gun but restrains himself for now.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#37 Post by atpollard »

Jacques Bonnet, Remy Hernandez, Mercutio Routledge, Samuel Linkletter, Josephine Baxter-Smith (Grogg and Tankard)

Caela stood frozen for a moment as Remy drew his blade and spoke, her body completely at ease but her eyes fixed on the swordsman. As Remy spoke, he could almost hear the thoughts racing through her mind … weighing the advantages of a swift attack against the options to retreat.

As Monsieur Rose interrupts with a stern reminder that she faces more than one opponent, her attention is momentarily diverted to the new speaker and her involuntary responses signal to a swordsman that know where to look that she has resolved to accept the inevitable situation. Though her Str and End are above average but not exceptional, and her Dexterity is exceptional, her blade skill is no match for the Swordsman and her body silently broadcasts the fear her training so carefully hides.

"If you gentlemen insist that the matter is that urgent, then of course lunch prep can wait." she offered a small smile and slowly and calmly stepped away from the table and rack of cooking knives with her hands in plain sight. She slowly reached down, in plain sight of Remy and carefully removed a small unadorned, but sharp throwing knife from her boot with two fingers and handed it to the Swordsman. "I will expect that back, later" she said softly.

Caela then proceeded towards Jacques "Lead on to wherever you would care to speak. It seems that I am your guest. " (There was a touch of emphasis on the pronunciation of the last word that hinted at an irony in her tone.
[So the big question is where do you go and what do you ask her?]

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

"Let us move upstairs to a private room. This way please." Jacques motions for her to follow, keeping a wide berth and his hand on his gun.

"Keep an eye out for that Jim fellow. I suspect he's nearby. I'd like to have a chat with him as well."

If they make it a room. "Now. It's clear you work for Edwin, and paid quite handsomely for it. You may be beholden to him in some manner, but I suspect you are simply a mercenary. Tell us what we wish to know, and much of the blame will fall where it is deserved."

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#39 Post by AsenRG »

Remy follows, but leaves the talking to Jacques out of habit. If he wants to clear up anything, he shall do so after Jacques is finished.
He also keeps an eye on their surroundings, in case the aforementioned Jim decides to make an appearance.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#40 Post by atpollard »

Jacques Bonnet: "Now. It's clear you work for Edwin, and paid quite handsomely for it. You may be beholden to him in some manner, but I suspect you are simply a mercenary. Tell us what we wish to know, and much of the blame will fall where it is deserved."

"So my deception has been exposed." Caela calmly announced as she leaned back slightly in the chair "Of course a Lady never kisses and tells, so any questions you might have for this Edwin … whoever he may be … you should ask Edwin directly. I admit, however, that I am not a cook by trade and I was hired to keep an eye on the Grogg and Tankard." With a small grin and upraised palms "I suppose this means that I am fired from the Grogg and Tankard and the lunch prep is no longer my concern."

From his (streetwise) experience, Jacques recognizes Caela is far less calm than she appears and is actually fishing to discover how much you know. She is concerned that you have tied her to Edwin and is attempting to hide it. You have also confirmed from her non-verbal communication that she is no zealot for a cause but a thoroughly professional business woman. Whatever her part, it is strictly a business transaction to her.

Remy observed a shift in her thoughts and actions from a “combat mode” into more of a “negotiation mode”. Her immediate focus did not appear to be on an opportunity to attack or escape, rather she was focused on assessing her opponents and gathering information. However Remy maintained vigilance … knowing how dangerous this ‘guest’ was and how quickly goals can change.

[Sorry about the delay, a client doesn't understand how important it is to take time to play RPGs] ;)

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”